Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

BIFFO GAVIN!:mad:

Charlie69 wrote: »
    This is a bit of a myth imo, I mean Kilkenny and Tipp have just played not only one of the best AllIreland Finals of all time but also one of the most intense games of hurling ever played with not one dirty stroke all through.

I thought this might put the "dark arts" rubbish to bed at last so to suggest B.Gavin will suit Kilkenny's style of play because he lets "all sorts of fouls off" is wide of the mark and a bit of an insult really.

Kilkenny played exceptionally well in that final and regardless of the referee were well worth the win but there was a few incidents that the referee let off that i didnt like that he should have been someway diligent about and taken the appropriate action on the day but judging from the noises he was making in the media thereafter it would seem he wasnt too interested in justice.
    I never said anything about dark arts but they were fouls and they deserved the appropriate punishment. Against Cork the following year in Leeside he made some bizarre decisions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Kilkenny played exceptionally well in that final and regardless of the referee were well worth the win but there was a few incidents that the referee let off that i didnt like that he should have been someway diligent about and taken the appropriate action on the day but judging from the noises he was making in the media thereafter it would seem he wasnt too interested in justice.
    I never said anything about dark arts but they were fouls and they deserved the appropriate punishment. Against Cork the following year in Leeside he made some bizarre decisions too.

Yes but you said Kilkenny would be very happy and upbeat at his appointment because he lets all sorts of fouls go, and to give you the benefit of the doubt I think you meant that his style of refereeing would suit our style of hurling more than Tipps.

I posted elsewhere that I never believed B Kelly was anti Kilkenny but that his fussy style of refereeing doesn't suit our alleged "on the edge" or physical style of hurling.

I have no problem with Tipp fans voicing their displeasure at Gavin's appointment at all, but when Kilkenny fans do the same about B Kelly we are paranoid and conspiracy theorists .

The problem is both Gavin and Kelly have changed their respective styles of refereeing this year, with Kelly trying to let things go a little more and Gavin blowing for things he previously would have let slide.

From speaking to a couple of the players this has led to lot of confusion and inconsistency and has made them worse referees as a result.

I think Gavin has lost fitness this year - would this be a reasoning for blowing for things he hadn't previously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Yes but you said Kilkenny would be very happy and upbeat at his appointment because he lets all sorts of fouls go, and to give you the benefit of the doubt I think you meant that his style of refereeing would suit our style of hurling more than Tipps.

I posted elsewhere that I never believed B Kelly was anti Kilkenny but that his fussy style of refereeing doesn't suit our alleged "on the edge" or physical style of hurling.

I have no problem with Tipp fans voicing their displeasure at Gavin's appointment at all, but when Kilkenny fans do the same about B Kelly we are paranoid and conspiracy theorists .

The problem is both Gavin and Kelly have changed their respective styles of refereeing this year, with Kelly trying to let things go a little more and Gavin blowing for things he previously would have let slide.

From speaking to a couple of the players this has led to lot of confusion and inconsistency and has made them worse referees as a result.

This is a decent summary of where the problems lie in hurling refereeing. A hurling referee simply cannot win. In my opinion its not a game one man can referee effectively. You need 2 referees on the pitch. One for each half and much more interaction from umpires and assisstants.

Then people want referees to officiate to the spirit of the game rather than the actual laws. Neither B Kelly or Gavin are anti-kk or anti-tipp, but I was happy to see Kelly get the first game and less happy seeing Gavin get the second game purely because of their refereeing styles. That is me personally being unfair on Gavin and having a preconception that he could be a problem for Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bonnar will be serious loss if he cannot make it back in time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I heard it wasn't serious - that he'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Any of ye know where I can get some Tipperary GAA stickers like ones that say "Up Tipp" and stuff like that?

I'm living in a small town in Co. Galway so it's difficult to find any. I don't want car windscreen stickers, I want some to stick on the back of my motorbike. Although I'm living far from the Premier County I am seeing quite a few blue and gold flags lately which is great to see. I miss travelling through the county though and seeing all the flags and bunting flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Bonnar will be serious loss if he cannot make it back in time.

What happened to Bonner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What happened to Bonner?

Limped out of training the other night!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Word on the street is he'll be grand. Only a bit a precaution he'd to stop training.

A non-story thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Word on the street is he'll be grand. Only a bit a precaution he'd to stop training.

A non-story thankfully.

With Bonner's supposed legendary work ethic in training, it was probably much to the relief of his teammates. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Something that I always look forward to on all Ireland Sunday when Tipp are involved is going to Talbot street at noon, to the plaque that commemorates Sean Treacy-over Guineys shop. There is always a fine crowd and after the few prayers theres a rendition of 'Tipperary so far away'. I often thought that if the panel were brought there to witness this it would give them another insight into what it means to be a Tipperary man.

Just wondering if there will be a gathering in Talbot Street for the replay?

Just read on the KK thread here that Paul Murphy could be out. Big loss for KK if he is.

You'd hate for a chap as genuine as Paul to miss out on an All Ireland but it greatly increases Tipps chances in the replay. He had some tussle with The Bonnar in the drawn game.

Given - Cody playing Tennyson, Shefflin, and Fennelly with various injuries - if Murphy is on one leg he'll play - What'll they hoping, as we will be bonner, is that missing training, if he is, will not affect his preparation and form

Given - Cody playing Tennyson, Shefflin, and Fennelly with various injuries - if Murphy is on one leg he'll play - What'll they hoping, as we will be bonner, is that missing training, if he is, will not affect his preparation and form

The Bonner has missed very little training, if any, as far as I know. He'll be in top shape come Sat week.

Well- it says in the article I posted above - that he has not being taking part in all of training - restricted training - so he is missing some of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Just wondering if there will be a gathering in Talbot Street for the replay?

?

Holy fúck its not just any players getting injuries either. great to see Niall O'Meara available. Thats a brilliant option to have on the bench.

?

The Tipperary Supporters club might be able to help you more on this one.

http://www.tippsupportersclub.com/contact/

Dublin away in the league opener next spring on Feb 14th. Galway in Thurles the following week, then Clare in Ennis on March 8th before we meet our old foes Kilkenny (presumably under lights) on March 14th in Thurles. Cork on Leeside the 22nd March before either a league quarter final or relegation final the following week id imagine.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/mouthwatering-opening-weekend-for-hurling-league-fixtures-as-tipperary-and-dublin-clash-30597331.html

Hard to believe we know the league fixtures before the outcome of the All Ireland this year. Hoping Dublin will get the right to play the All Ireland Champions 2014 for the opener :)

Gone desperate quiet on this site! One week to go to an All Ireland final and everyone gone tp ground, whats the story. You can bet those cats accross the border aren't gone asleep so c'mon lets start getting revved up! C'MON the Blue and Gold!!!;)

Gone desperate quiet on this site! One week to go to an All Ireland final and everyone gone tp ground, whats the story. You can bet those cats accross the border aren't gone asleep so c'mon lets start getting revved up! C'MON the Blue and Gold!!!;)

Call it the calm before the vicious storm ;)

Id imagine though the buildup will really intensify from Monday onward though. People are still digesting the sheer greatness of what they witnessed the last day. Thing is about a replay though, its almost like you've had the party but the cake hasn't arrived yet and by the time it gets here people have had the bit too much to drink and have the taxi called. Although i expect this one to be a belter again. Given the magnitude of the occasion and one sides refusal to give in to the other, id say this one could go the distance too and wouldnt surprise me if it went to the wire in Extra time too. That said, if one team got a run on the other this time round there could be no way back.

Call it the calm before the vicious storm ;)

Id imagine though the buildup will really intensify from Monday onward though. People are still digesting the sheer greatness of what they witnessed the last day. Thing is about a replay though, its almost like you've had the party but the cake hasn't arrived yet and by the time it gets here people have had the bit too much to drink and have the taxi called. Although i expect this one to be a belter again. Given the magnitude of the occasion and one sides refusal to give in to the other, id say this one could go the distance too and wouldnt surprise me if it went to the wire in Extra time too. That said, if one team got a run on the other this time round there could be no way back.

If Seamie put us 8 up the last day we would have won very comfortably.

They got a goal shortly after so it was a 6 point swing, in essence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

If Seamie put us 8 up the last day we would have won very comfortably.

They got a goal shortly after so it was a 6 point swing, in essence.

Can't see where you are getting that from. It would have given us a nice cushion no doubt but Kilkenny don't often do dropping the heads. And we are not that great at killing off games either.

They have a real knack of getting a goal back when needed though. League final they got one within ten minutes of us scoring and putting daylight between the sides. Likewise in the All-Ireland.

Advertisement