Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

If Seamie put us 8 up the last day we would have won very comfortably.

They got a goal shortly after so it was a 6 point swing, in essence.

Perhaps, but to be fair its alot more difficult to score a penalty since the rule was changed. The goalie and defenders can move off their line but the striker cant move beyond the 20m line.
    In hindsight perhaps we could have went for the point and if the situation arises the next day should we be lucky enough then i think we will go for that option. At the time however, momentum was with us and i think Seamie was perhaps fearful of being accused of being gutless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Perhaps, but to be fair its alot more difficult to score a penalty since the rule was changed. The goalie and defenders can move off their line but the striker cant move beyond the 20m line.
    In hindsight perhaps we could have went for the point and if the situation arises the next day should we be lucky enough then i think we will go for that option. At the time however, momentum was with us and i think Seamie was perhaps fearful of being accused of being gutless.

Would you not think he was acting under orders? To be fair to him, he didn't catch it well. It's a bit like the kick able penalty in rugby. Do you take your 3 or go for the try with a line out? If you score it's genius and killer instinct. If you miss don't you've turned down 3.

It depends on the situation I think. We were 5 up at the time. They'd have a lot to do to come back from 8 down. Is a 5 point lead much worse than a 6 point lead in an open game like that?

Reckon that if it was a game like the lk kk semi where scores were at a premium he'd have taken his point. There was a similar debate about shefflin when he pointed a peno to take the replay. He was dead right. The outcome of missing was worse than the result of converting.

digzy wrote: »
    Would you not think he was acting under orders? To be fair to him, he didn't catch it well. It's a bit like the kick able penalty in rugby. Do you take your 3 or go for the try with a line out? If you score it's genius and killer instinct. If you miss don't you've turned down 3.

It depends on the situation I think. We were 5 up at the time. They'd have a lot to do to come back from 8 down. Is a 5 point lead much worse than a 6 point lead in an open game like that?

Reckon that if it was a game like the lk kk semi where scores were at a premium he'd have taken his point. There was a similar debate about shefflin when he pointed a peno to take the replay. He was dead right. The outcome of missing was worse than the result of converting.

Thats the thing though, O'Shea has a style where he leaves the ownership of the decision pretty much to the players. He might advise them every now and then but he pretty much likes to foster an environment where the players are doing the thinking for themselves which has its good points and bad points.

I totally get what your saying tbf but hindsight always has 20/20 vision. He probably should have taken his point because the deflation of the miss was also fresh impetus to Kilkenny and it gave the goalkeeper no end of confidence.

At that moment we got that penalty ill admit i was giddy in the stands thinking 'jesus unbelievable, lets drive another nail in now' but looking at the game later that night ill have to admit it is extremely difficult to score a penalty the way things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Thats the thing though, O'Shea has a style where he leaves the ownership of the decision pretty much to the players. He might advise them every now and then but he pretty much likes to foster an environment where the players are doing the thinking for themselves which has its good points and bad points.

I totally get what your saying tbf but hindsight always has 20/20 vision. He probably should have taken his point because the deflation of the miss was also fresh impetus to Kilkenny and it gave the goalkeeper no end of confidence.

At that moment we got that penalty ill admit i was giddy in the stands thinking 'jesus unbelievable, lets drive another nail in now' but looking at the game later that night ill have to admit it is extremely difficult to score a penalty the way things stand.

I think he should have gone for the point, whatever about the score as it was or the time of the game, he just does not have a very hard shot in his locker. I have seen him take a few penalties and 21's.

I was hoping up in the stands he would take his point as I gave him very little chance of converting the penalty, even if he had struck it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭maniac2003

robbiezero wrote: »
    I think he should have gone for the point, whatever about the score as it was or the time of the game, he just does not have a very hard shot in his locker. I have seen him take a few penalties and 21's.

I was hoping up in the stands he would take his point as I gave him very little chance of converting the penalty, even if he had struck it correctly.

am I the only one who would have gleeson on penalty's he has a phenomenal record from them.

• Advertisement

maniac2003 wrote: »
    am I the only one who would have gleeson on penalty's he has a phenomenal record from them.

Id agree we need a man with a rasper of a shot at the very least. Eoin in his prime would have hit a rocket it if it was a 21 let alone a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Id agree we need a man with a rasper of a shot at the very least. Eoin in his prime would have hit a rocket it if it was a 21 let alone a penalty.

They were two badly enough hit penalties but I would have no bother giving either Callinan or O'Dwyer another go. They are both very good ball strikers and it just happened the last day that they did not strike either penalty particularly well.

If we get a penalty the next day unless its a Shefflin 2012 type scenario where its the last puck with a point in it we should be going for goal. Go for the jugular when you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

So was I. We were just after going 5 up and won a peno a few minutes later. Two goals, in the quick succession, would have put some serious doubt into those aging KK legs. It would have been make-believe stuff.

dirtyden wrote: »
    They were two badly enough hit penalties but I would have no bother giving either Callinan or O'Dwyer another go. They are both very good ball strikers and it just happened the last day that they did not strike either penalty particularly well.

If we get a penalty the next day unless its a Shefflin 2012 type scenario where its the last puck with a point in it we should be going for goal. Go for the jugular when you can.

They were two badly hit shots alright and I agree. I think both Bubbles and Seamie have a serious strike on the ball.

Maybe very little chance but sometimes you have to take that chance. Look at Noel McGrath in 2010. 9 out of 10 players would have popped the ball over the bar for an easy point, instead McGrath handpassed into space, onto the on-rushing Lar Corbett for his second goal. The goal that was probably the most important score in that AI. Being safe isn't always the best option, even if it's the easiest option.

maniac2003 wrote: »

At inter-county level, in an All Ireland Final, would he have the mobility to get back to his goal, in time?

Can't see where you are getting that from. It would have given us a nice cushion no doubt but Kilkenny don't often do dropping the heads. And we are not that great at killing off games either.

They have a real knack of getting a goal back when needed though. League final they got one within ten minutes of us scoring and putting daylight between the sides. Likewise in the All-Ireland.

In fairness they were given a penalty in that league final and it was an utterly scandalous decision. The second penalty in that same game i had no objection too but the first was outrageous and Kilkenny offered no real goal threat in that game.

Where they offered the real goal threat the last day is from the perfect long balls they delivered to the edge of the square. The first goal was a delicious ball down on top of Barry who missed it and then Saint had to go to Reid who had Power free in space. Gar Ryan was hooked for the second out on the wing halfway between midfield and their 40 and seconds later Reid buried it in the net because another good ball went down on top of our backs putting them under severe pressure. The third was another long ball which Power excellently broke for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

When are the tickets out folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

When are the tickets out folks?

I got two from the club on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Meanwhile in Bonner Country.....

DSC_5516.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Well done to Moyle Rovers (club located on the outskirts of Clonmel) on becoming County Minor A Hurling Champions in a game played under lights in Semple Stadium last Sunday evening. Well done!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Xenophile wrote: »
    Well done to Moyle Rovers (club located on the outskirts of Clonmel) on becoming County Minor A Hurling Champions in a game played under lights in Semple Stadium last Sunday evening. Well done!

Thought I was seeing things when they beat a very good Holycross team!

Fair play to them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I've seen this team develop over the past 4 years. Fair play to them. Some achievement. I think it's only the 4th time a South team has won the Minor A County.

Absolutely brilliant win. Moyle Rovers is traditionally a football stronghold but have been putting tremendous work into their underage structure over the last decade. Great encouragement for all clubs in the South.

I've seen this team develop over the past 4 years. Fair play to them. Some achievement. I think it's only the 4th time a South team has won the Minor A County.

Mullinahone (2011) and Ballingarry (1996) were the others and also I think Carrick Swan from around 2004 iirc? It's brilliant. Hopefully the other south clubs can put a similar plan into action.

I think last year was the first time the South won an underage interdivisional tournament am i right? u15's i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Mullinahone (2011) and Ballingarry (1996) were the others and also I think Carrick Swan from around 2004 iirc? It's brilliant. Hopefully the other south clubs can put a similar plan into action.

I think last year was the first time the South won an underage interdivisional tournament am i right? u15's i think?

South won a Munster A u16, maybe two Munster A's - One around 1996 (Eoin Kelly) and one last year maybe? ...and a good few B Munsters. Not sure about Garda Cups/Peader Cummins etc...

Ballingarry were joined with St Pats for their one. Think they might have won too actually.

Think Swan were in 3 Co Finals in the mid noughties. Maybe 04, 05, 06 and won one.

• Advertisement

South won a Munster A u16, maybe two Munster A's - One around 1996 (Eoin Kelly) and one last year maybe? ...and a good few B Munsters. Not sure about Garda Cups/Peader Cummins etc...

Ballingarry were joined with St Pats for their one. Think they might have won too actually.

Think Swan were in 3 Co Finals in the mid noughties. Maybe 04, 05, 06 and won one.

Your right about Ballingarry joining with Pats for that year. William Maher actually captained that team. Mullinahone beat Nenagh 3 years ago up in Templetouhy and correct the Swan won 1 of 3 finals. I am pretty certain it was 2004.

Not sure if St Pats ever won a minor but thats not to say they didnt win an underage title at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just read that article. By Jesus I hope its nailed to the Tipp dressing room door.!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Conelan

Hi All,
    Around this time 3 weeks some posters were able to give a bit of advance notice of tickets going on sale in Lar na Pairce. Is there any chance something similar might happen this time round?? What do ye think the ticket situation will be like this time round?? Will there be more demand cos of cheaper prices or less demand cos a Saturday evening wouldn't suit everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭chocaholic04

Tickets for nally terrace on gaa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Tickets for Nally stand on sale as highlighted above.

Also, shop beside Supervalu (old Superquinn at Market Place/Street) in Clonmel are selling tickets at 12pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Tickets for Nally stand on sale as highlighted above.

Also, shop beside Supervalu (old Superquinn at Market Place/Street) in Clonmel are selling tickets at 12pm.

Limited Hill 16 tickets on sale on tickets.ie now

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

so lads will it be the same 15 as last time out do ye reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I think that it has to be the same 15 unless they build a game plan around richie hogan that includes Cahill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Limited Hill 16 tickets on sale on tickets.ie now

All appear to be gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

OAOB wrote: »
    I think that it has to be the same 15 unless they build a game plan around richie hogan that includes Cahill.

I agree completely but what would worry me about that team is who do ya drop for Cahill?

Cahill has been superb for a while but Barrett has been the find of the season..

Advertisement