Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

GerB40 wrote: »
    I agree completely but what would worry me about that team is who do ya drop for Cahill?

Cahill has been superb for a while but Barrett has been the find of the season..

That's the real problem, no one deserves to be dropped and i think O'Shea won't drop anyone without cause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

OAOB wrote: »
    That's the real problem, no one deserves to be dropped and i think O'Shea won't drop anyone without cause

No one deserves to be dropped. I don't envy Ó Shea at the moment...

To be honest it's a fantastic position for him to be in, it's just a shame we haven't a forward who's putting the same pressure on to get into the starting team as Cahill is in the backs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Same team as last day. Expect Cahill even earlier if things aren't going well in any position from 2-9.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    Same team as last day. Expect Cahill even earlier if things aren't going well in any position from 2-9.

Of course the other big threat this time is that there could be a big improvement in the Fennellys this time round.

To be honest it's a fantastic position for him to be in, it's just a shame we haven't a forward who's putting the same pressure on to get into the starting team as Cahill is in the backs

Id agree our options lack experience but both Denis Maher and Niall O'Meara have done reasonably well for us and are two fantastic options going into the last fifteen minutes. That point the last day might have brought Forde on a bit confidence wise

Very interesting changes here:

Kilkenny: E Murphy; P Murphy, JJ Delaney, J Tyrrell; P Walsh, K Joyce, C Buckley; R Hogan, C Fogarty; M Fennelly, C Fennelly, E Larkin; R Power, TJ Reid, J Power

Seems to be going after the half back line and trying to counteract the half forward line...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Said it in the main game thread, can't believe Gearoid has been selected again. Thought he was extremely poor the last day, and wasn't much better against Cork.

Prefer to see Denis Maher or Forde in there instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Mokuba wrote: »
    Said it in the main game thread, can't believe Gearoid has been selected again. Thought he was extremely poor the last day, and wasn't much better against Cork.

Prefer to see Denis Maher or Forde in there instead.

Poor the last day, but does huge donkey work especially in his own half, a role which the other two you have mentioned would not be suited to.
    Would be a brave move to drop him and for me it could only have been done for Cahill and move midfielders which is a big risk.

Why?

I have to say the last three weeks havent felt like we were facing into another all ireland final but with the teams now named all of a sudden this shít has suddenly became real again. The nerves are now kicking in big time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Gearoid was poor the last day, but he generally does a lot of work which goes unnoticed (including against Cork). You'll often find the wing back on him usually gains very little possession, as Ryan's tight marking removes them being an option. He also moves the ball very quickly (sometimes a little recklessly tbf), and doesn't dwell in possession, again making him go a little more unnoticed.

I like both Maher & Forde as options, and if we're chasing scores they make more sense than Gearoid. But Gearoid adds a much needed balance to the side, and combined with Bonner, ensures the opposition backs have a very hard time clearing ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Tipp x 5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Hope you're right dan..........hon the premier :cool:

One will do although i wouldnt turn down any type of victory so long as its a victory ;)

Tipp v Kilkenny championship matches
    Played 25
    Tipp 13
    KK 11
    Draw 1

Lets stay ahead of them!
    C'mon the Blue & Gold..

Its kind of a quiet build up to the match but I really think it's because we know both teams will perform and it will come down to a few small errors here and there. Reporters are scraping around for articles, there's nothing left to be said by anyone. 70 mins of fire and passion on sat will give us our answer.
    Mad to believe it's just over 24 hours away, cant wait for it, already nervous

Its kind of a quiet build up to the match but I really think it's because we know both teams will perform and it will come down to a few small errors here and there. Reporters are scraping around for articles, there's nothing left to be said by anyone. 70 mins of fire and passion on sat will give us our answer.
    Mad to believe it's just over 24 hours away, cant wait for it, already nervous

Don't be nervous, its in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Trapattoni is a popular in Italy for his original press conference speeches and trademark quotes, one of the most famous being "non-dire gatto se non-l'hai nel sacco ("don't say cat until you've got it in the bag").

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It'll all be over this time tomorrow! Quite nervous for the game now. Gonna be in the terrace early enough to get a good spot, fingers crossed we don't get rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Looks like fine weather for Saturday.

tippspur wrote: »
    Looks like fine weather for Saturday.

The weather has been kind to us even if the referee selection hasn't. The dry spell wont harm Kilkenny's forwards either but at least the lack of rain will help our forwards a great deal. Of course the ground will have to take the little bit of water from the sprinklers which is only right as our studs wouldnt stick but this climate really suits us that bit better going into this final. Our defence is that bit younger whereas Kilkennys defence will have another hard time keeping up.

Enjoy the match tomorrow guys

UP THE PREMIER!!!

One more time, from the top :)

And last but not least

Eamon sums it up here perfectly - beaten by the better team =

“And the critical thing is they played the game on their terms, which is the right thing to do. And we couldn’t seem to open it up like we did the last day. Again, that’s credit to them.”
    Nor could O’Shea deny the source of Kilkenny’s ferocity – from their half back all the way through to the Powers up front, John and Richie.
    “Yeah, and we tried to match it, and we did match it for periods. We hung in there, and it wasn’t to be in the end, but again we were living off bits and pieces. We could never impose the game we wanted to play. We tried to create space. And they probably bunched us a little. And when you’re trying to force the issue it’s never any easier, and that’s probably one of the things we’d regret.”
    Still, while admitting Kilkenny were ferocious in their approach, O’Shea himself prompted the next question: the why?
    “And I don’t know. I just don’t have the answer now. I mean you can never figure out tactics when you play Kilkenny. They just went ferociously for the ball, and I thought they closed down the space we wanted to create. I think we missed one or two chances, but again, on the balance of the game, they were ahead of us. I don’t think I could rationalise it any other way than that.
    “Again, that’s to the opposition’s credit. Their imposed their will. They are formidable. Sometimes when you play against a formidable team, and they are a formidable team, they are formidable. We can sit here and talk about what happened, but they really are an outstanding team. We believe we are a very good team.
    “Today we just couldn’t get the result we wanted. But my belief is that we left the championship a better place. We worked really hard to get up to what we considered a top level. We achieved the level we wanted to hit in one game. I can’t tell you how hard the team worked to be the best they could. It doesn’t come out in result and doesn’t show up in the scoreline, but in terms of what the team tried to do, I can only say they are a credit to sport. They are a credit in my view to Tipperary hurling, albeit they didn’t get the result today.”

Very disappointing today but i'm satisfied that at least we fought to the bitter end. Admittedly the better team won and they are probably the finest team to ever grace the game. There is just no margin for error with them. Its the finer things we are losing on. We are not anticipating the breaks like they do. I think management might have been too hesitant in changing things on the line too. For the man who said 'the game is always changing' he was slow to change ours today at a critical time.

We lost very very marginally in the end although we rode a storm in that early second half. Those ten minutes at the start of the second half proved very crucial. That's when Kilkenny win the vast majority of their games and so it proved the case today. Their whole half backline were super and their full back line wasnt too bad either. We just dont put them under enough pressure and seem to lack that bit of reading of the game. Cant really point the finger at the ref, he done the best he could in my honest opinion.

Anyways, its a long winter ahead but all is not lost. We have a good crop of youngsters coming through and we weren't too far away from an All Ireland title this year...In fact, we were roughly 2 or 3 inches. But we need to start becoming a more ruthless beast and take our chances. We have the sticksmen but when the fat is in the fire i just get the sense we are not clinical enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Hard luck to Tipperary, ye have a fine young team of hurlers that will win plenty of All Ireland medals and who in the drawn game gave a performance that would have won most All Ireland finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

All said and done it was a great year for Tipperary Hurling, so thanks to all involved, spectators, supporters, management and most of all the lads wearing the Blue and Gold on the field and on the bench.

One thing strikes me and I hope you see this as constructive comment.............Patrick Bonnar Maher runs into too many cul de sacs and is unable to get the ball away. I wonder has he ever practiced using the boot a guy with his strenght could kick goals from way out with a bit of practice.

Anyway well done to Bonnar for adding excitement to the season, his bravery and commitment are beyond question, he has been bottled up by KK backs so many times, I think we need to try his footballing skills too, and if we do I am sure he will score more goals.

Well done to Kilkenny you were the best on the day !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Very disappointing today but i'm satisfied that at least we fought to the bitter end. Admittedly the better team won and they are probably the finest team to ever grace the game. There is just no margin for error with them. Its the finer things we are losing on. We are not anticipating the breaks like they do. I think management might have been too hesitant in changing things on the line too. For the man who said 'the game is always changing' he was slow to change ours today at a critical time.

We lost very very marginally in the end although we rode a storm in that early second half. Those ten minutes at the start of the second half proved very crucial. That's when Kilkenny win the vast majority of their games and so it proved the case today. Their whole half backline were super and their full back line wasnt too bad either. We just dont put them under enough pressure and seem to lack that bit of reading of the game. Cant really point the finger at the ref, he done the best he could in my honest opinion.

Anyways, its a long winter ahead but all is not lost. We have a good crop of youngsters coming through and we weren't too far away from an All Ireland title this year...In fact, we were roughly 2 or 3 inches. But we need to start becoming a more ruthless beast and take our chances. We have the sticksmen but when the fat is in the fire i just get the sense we are not clinical enough.

A faiir assessment and like you say the finer or simpler things let us down again. We need to be as determined and concentrated as kk are. As in the limerick game and periods of the galway game we seem to be waiting for things to happen rather than grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck. Another thing we need to do is have the co board sit down with EOS and his selectors and give them a long term,5or6 year term of office. This thing of changing managers every few years has to stop. Anyway, another winter lies ahead listening to the Cats rubbing it in.

Advertisement