Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

He was roasted against Nenagh by John Brennan - he seems to have lost confidence from his early early years on the team - but he's not county standard I would say - good free taker though

the north will never be down for long - Toome dominated for a long time - It's a hurling stronghold

To be fair the North arent down at the moment and i reckon it will be a town v town final if they can avoid each other (Sars v Nenagh) which Nenagh could win. I expect the eventual winners to come out of those two but im open to shock.

Burgess, Kildangan (although they seem to have slightly gone back a bit this year), and Templederry are also still in it although i couldnt see the winners coming out of either of those three.

In terms of the rest of the county, Mullinahone are still a bit raw but Loughmore and Clonoulty are still in with a shout. For me though, its who goes the furthest of Sars or Nenagh and tbh if pushed id go for Nenagh on form and the fact they have had some tough games.

Well - the North were down a while - when Drom - Loughmore - and Sars won quite a bit over the last few years

Nenagh last year was the first north team in the county final since 2008 - that's a long time for the North!!!

I'd agree with your assessment regarding possible winners - I think Loughmore will still be tough to beat... the weather might get messy over the next few months - which might suit Burgess and Kiladangan -

but its hard to see past Nenagh, Sars, or Loughmore

What happened to Woodlock in the Sars-Drom game? He has no luck against Sars

• Advertisement

oh sent off

Well - the North were down a while - when Drom - Loughmore - and Sars won quite a bit over the last few years

Nenagh last year was the first north team in the county final since 2008 - that's a long time for the North!!!

But Nenagh havent really been contenders for a long time now. They are a big town and have the mere one county to show in 1995 which is sort of poor on their part really and when you consider they have had some great great players over the years such as the Tuckers and Skippy.

In one way, Toomevara's dominance was akin to Kilkenny's in Leinster. It was a reflection of how good Toom were but also how far ahead they were of the rest of the North. Between 1992 and 2008 Toomevara won an incredible 11 out of 18 county championships. In that period, no other north team (aside from Nenagh in 1995) really threatened to win a county even if they were winning the odd North here and there.

You'd probably have to go back to the 80s for when you had different North teams winning counties and also good enough to win Munsters and All Irelands. Borrisilleagh and Kilruane would have probably been the big two back then. In the 70s then you had Moneygall and Roscrea.

While there is a lot of North teams at present and they are stronger then the majority of the teams from the county, at the same time, aside from Nenagh, you couldnt pick a county winner from them. Toom will likely resurface no doubt due to their tradition and i expected more from Kildangan tbh but Borrisilleagh and Kilruane are flattering to deceive considering the amount of county men involved in their respective setups.

Nenagh won in 1995 but they also contested the final in 1999, 2006, and last Year - they been on the wrong side of those finals - but they were there - that's better than a lot of clubs

Very Juicy draw:

Co Senior Hurling Championship Q-Final Draw
    Mullinahone v Kildangan
    Burgess v Templederry
    Nenagh Eire Og v Thurles Sarsfields
    Loughmore Castleiney v Clonoulty Rossmore

Very Juicy draw:

Co Senior Hurling Championship Q-Final Draw
    Mullinahone v Kildangan
    Burgess v Templederry
    Nenagh Eire Og v Thurles Sarsfields
    Loughmore Castleiney v Clonoulty Rossmore

Mullinahone v Kildangan is 50/50 id say. Mullinahone have great potential from that county minor winning team of 2011 but they are still young. Kildangan won the North in impressive style last year but havent built on that. They have alot of young talent at their disposal too such as the Gallagher brothers.

I would fancy Burgess to take Templederry, Nenagh might just have enough for Sars but thats another 50-50. Loughmore to beat Clonoulty.

Great draw tbh. All very evenly matched games. That said only two of the strongest four will really go through

• Advertisement

I'd say Sars have a mission with Nenagh after last year - i think that kind of motivation will see Sars get over Nenagh...I think Sars have the backs to tie up the Heffernans

Is Sean Curran going well with Mullinahone?

I think Burgess might come unstuck against Templederry on the big pitch in Semple - Templederry have some very good stickmen - that said Burgess will get stuck into Templederry and it will be up to Templederry to stand up to it

Loughmore to win too!

I suppose its all about who is hitting the right form at the moment and it looks to be Sars - i think they have the strongest squad too...

Nenagh won in 1995 but they also contested the final in 1999, 2006, and last Year - they been on the wrong side of those finals - but they were there - that's better than a lot of clubs

Ah yeah fair enough but Nenagh are a fairly big town in fairness. Im talking about over their whole history really they have sort of underachieved given their population relative to teams like Toom and as you say they are within a hurling stronghold

Now i couldnt completely single Nenagh out in this as Thurles hit a long famine between 74 and 2005. I have already alluded to how hurling throughout the larger urban area's throughout Tipperary have flattered to deceive. Nenagh to be fair have been someway competitive and were very unlucky last year to be fair but but on average they havent been any better or worse then the other North contenders who were chasing Toomevara. I suppose the real point im trying to make is that the real strength of North Tipperary club hurling cant be measured by Toomevara's success. Nenagh would more than likely have prospered more had Toom not been as good but then again perhaps maybe Mullinahone, Sars (Lost 4 finals), Loughmore, and a few more could argue the same

I'd say Sars have a mission with Nenagh after last year - i think that kind of motivation will see Sars get over Nenagh...I think Sars have the backs to tie up the Heffernans

Is Sean Curran going well with Mullinahone?

I think Burgess might come unstuck against Templederry on the big pitch in Semple - Templederry have some very good stickmen - that said Burgess will get stuck into Templederry and it will be up to Templederry to stand up to it

Loughmore to win too!

I suppose its all about who is hitting the right form at the moment and it looks to be Sars - i think they have the strongest squad too...

Those two games v Burgess added to the tough one today might help Nenagh's resolve but Thurles have alot of forward talent. That win today is a big injection but i think Nenagh are a coming team. Thus far they have proved that last year wasnt a fluke. Loughmore are back in the groove and i think they will see off Clonoulty

Sean Curran is doing alright for Mullinahone. He always scores a decent tally and has somewhat taken the mantle from Eoin Kelly. Good club hurler but im not sure he has what it takes for county. Micheal Dunne and Jack Shelley would be the two bright talents that could make waves in the future. Cathal Horan would be another good finisher to watch.

Intermediate draw

Clonakenny v Moyle Rovers
    Moyne/Templetuohy v Newport
    Thurles Sarsfields v Arravale Rovers
    Galtee Rovers/St. Pecaun v St. Marys Clonmel

Sean Curran seems a bit light - but his attitude to the game seems to have changed - he used to run through teams - but maybe teams just caught on to how he plays and he hasn't been able to adapt...

I hear Shelley can box too. We badly need a strong half forward and two more of them on the squad...

Nenagh have a very young team in certain positions - and Kevin Tucker must be nearly forty...Kevin Tucker played in 1995 if I'm not mistaken!!!!!! Some man...was unlucky with the county

I just think Nenagh are a bit weak in the full back position and in the corners in terms of height - their corner forwards are very young too - but they have lots of experience on the bench - i just think Sars won't be caught this time around and will have a better idea as to what they are facing. I think they'll get their match ups right

Read that earlier. He is correct to be honest and Ken Hogan was correct the other day. But sure we could call Cody all of the things under the sun and it wont be worth a shít unless we start beating them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Dafuq??? I knew Brolly was a gobshyte but this is something else. Seriously, he can't be right in the head..

Brolly loves attention - good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Brolly loves attention - good or bad

Brolly, Dunphy and Hook are all RTE clowns. They are there to entertain and anyone who does not take them too seriously can get a good laugh from time to time. RTE ratings would be much lower without them. Ever get the feeling that too many people take sport too seriously!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Xenophile wrote: »
    Brolly, Dunphy and Hook are all RTE clowns. They are there to entertain and anyone who does not take them too seriously can get a good laugh from time to time. RTE ratings would be much lower without them. Ever get the feeling that too many people take sport too seriously!
    The reaction to Cody has been hilarious really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Not sure if mentioned already but Eoin Kelly had a fantastic performance at the weekend versus Killenaule in Clonmel. Scored 1-14 of his team's 1-18 with 1-5 from play. Four frees inside his own half and even saved a penalty. What a legend. Sorry that I wasn't there to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The 2014/2015 Dr. Harty Cup resumed this week with eight games in Round 2.
    Blackwater CS 2-22 St Flannans Col 0-12
    Thurles CBS 1-15 West Limerick Colleges 3-9
    Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG 2-14 St Colmans Fermoy 0-7
    Castletroy CC 3-9 DLS Waterford 1-9
    PS Youghal 0-15 St Caimins Shannon 0-13
    Nenagh CBS 1-13 Dungarvan CBS 1-12
    Midleton CBS 0-11 HS Clonmel 0-10
    Our Ladys Templemore 1-20 Charleville CBS 2-14

The 2014/2015 Dr. Harty Cup resumed this week with eight games in Round 2.
    Blackwater CS 2-22 St Flannans Col 0-12
    Thurles CBS 1-15 West Limerick Colleges 3-9
    Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG 2-14 St Colmans Fermoy 0-7
    Castletroy CC 3-9 DLS Waterford 1-9
    PS Youghal 0-15 St Caimins Shannon 0-13
    Nenagh CBS 1-13 Dungarvan CBS 1-12
    Midleton CBS 0-11 HS Clonmel 0-10
    Our Ladys Templemore 1-20 Charleville CBS 2-14

Jeez Blackwater gave Flannans a battering :eek: Flannans used be decent and you'd think with underage hurling in Clare on the crest of a wave that they would be better. Could be just a bad day or a bad crop

The Tipp Schoools all involved in close games. Templemore and Nenagh ( both 1 pt win), Thurles (draw) and Clonmel (1 pt defeat)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jeez Blackwater gave Flannans a battering :eek: Flannans used be decent and you'd think with underage hurling in Clare on the crest of a wave that they would be better. Could be just a bad day or a bad crop

That was when they had the boarding school, they were bringing players from all over the place. Same story with st. Colmans.

That's all changed now AFAIK.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That was when they had the boarding school, they were bringing players from all over the place. Same story with st. Colmans.

That's all changed now AFAIK.

Is it still not the main nursery in terms of Clare hurling though? Or has Ard Scoil Rís and other schools taken the crop from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is it still not the main nursery in terms of Clare hurling though? Or has Ard Scoil Rís and other schools taken the crop from them?

Not sure as I'm gone from that side of things but when I was playing Harty in 2003 the word then was that it's coming to an end and they'd stopped taking students.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Thurles walloped Flans in the first week too - gave them some beating

Advertisement