Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

John Meagher is injured again - if he has any serious long term inter-county ambitions - it's probably better off that he takes a year off from both club and county at this stage -easier said than done - but he should work with a physio for a year - give his body a break - things can't keep going the way it is for him - otherwise he'll wreck himself

I think people have been fair too quick to criticize Eamon - particularly getting heated about League games - then after the Limerick games - acting like it was the end of the world - Limerick are very very good coming team with a lot of belief and underage success. It also happens that their strengths are our weakness too...

What ever manager has been at the helm - it's been the same players there for a long time...- yet they've reached a lot of ALL-Irelands.

Eamon O'Shea has to be the greatest hurling servant to the Tipp Inter-county set up in a long time...a lot of people have been burnt out or left after three years - understandable - but still left after three

He's given six years now with a two year break in between - ...apart from John Allen and Cody - there's not many doing that

Why don't you rate O'Leary?

A lot of people said Kilkenny were finished too? Septic for a long time? Did they get to the league final? Did they get to both finals?

Clare were bad...

Dublin were bad...

Galway were bad...

Limerick were great apparently - and they did have a good year- what did they get to?

This is a tough game - it's hard to keep going year in and year out - criticism lads for bad form early in the year - and celebrating being in the top two when teh greatest team who played the game is around is a bit ridiculous in my opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

John Meagher is injured again - if he has any serious long term inter-county ambitions - it's probably better off that he takes a year off from both club and county at this stage -easier said than done - but he should work with a physio for a year - give his body a break - things can't keep going the way it is for him - otherwise he'll wreck himself
    Don't see that he should at all. Saying take a year out is OTT considering you haven't a clue about his injuries.
    Why don't you rate O'Leary?
    Puts himself and his club ahead of his role as a coach of a representative team. That's from players who've played under him. Don't rate him as a coach either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Anyone else having trouble using the Tipperary GAA site? The fixtures/results section has been a joke for a while now, but today I cant even get onto the main site.

This is lovely to hear. Really puts the disappointment of the hammering Mullinahone received into perspective

https://twitter.com/babbletipp/status/526414265004347392

Two statements and no evidence to back them up.

How do you know I don't know anything about his injuries?

What evidence do you have that O'Leary put club first?

Yeah - said something about a browser....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Two statements and no evidence to back them up.

How do you know I don't know anything about his injuries?

What evidence do you have that O'Leary put club first?
    Are you medically qualified or worked with him in his recovery as other than that i think you're just trying to diagnose from nothing.
    Picking his own club men on teams ahead of better players etc. Nothing i'll put up on an open forum which is stupid and im leaving this conversation here and not continuing with it as 1. i dont want to and 2. dont think it needs to be continued

Nenagh guardian facebook page had this as a post up earlier this evening
    Eamon O'Shea will remain as Tipperary Senior Hurling manager for 2015.
    At this weeks County Board meeting, current Assistant Manager Michael Ryan will be proposed to succeed O'Shea as manager in 2016.
    Also at the County Board meeting, former All Ireland winning defender Declan Fanning will be proposed as an additional selector for 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

This is lovely to hear. Really puts the disappointment of the hammering Mullinahone received into perspective

https://twitter.com/babbletipp/status/526414265004347392

was it just a show of force to say he is still part of the team or is the guy getting back to the stage where he can compete at 100% , either way it is great to hear , he missed out on 2 county finals last year and most probably all the celebrations that went with it so hopefully he will be able to make an appearance next week and pick up a winners medal in the process

it was an impressive scoreline put up by loughmore today , in my own mind i would have had thurlas down as favorites all year mainly because of the form of the inter county players they have , but on that scoreline today i take it loughmore will be favorites?

John Meagher is a great player but unfortunately he has been riddled with injuries...don't need to be a doctor to see that pattern - he's been struggling in and out since 2012 - joint injuries too - knee... - when you have joint injuries it affects the rest of the body when its not right - as everything is out of sync - i know because I've had them myself - it's something you have to get right - even professionals take 6 to 8 months and that's with international standard surgeons and physio... It's a no brainer if you keep braking down with injuries - the body needs a break

There were years there when he was a dual county minor, played hurling and football for Loughmore at minor and u21 and possibly a bit senior too, he also hurled for the Harty in Thurles....

That's madness on the body...

As for O'Leary picking his own club guys I've heard that about every manager from Sheehy and Gleeson - and O'Shea and his cousin Hamill - load of ****e

Michael Ryan as a manager...not sure about that... who has he managed? Who has Declan Fanning managed?

Bit disappointed it's not someone like William Maher or Eddie Enright...

To be fair to John Meagher i think he had glandular fever not long after winning the minor in 2011 and that seemed to set off a terrible chain reaction of injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

michael ryan paudie o'neill staying with o'shea with the addition of declan fanning

Great optimism at hearing Michael Ryan will be taking the reigns. A very dynamic and ambitious man by all accounts. Continously generating ideas on the sideline. A great disciplinarian too from what i gather. And id say Declan Fanning doesnt suffer fools gladly either. Wonderful news in my opinion. The future is bright

The management really need to assess his situation carefully and not to make the same mistakes that were made with Seamus Hennessy.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

John Meagher is a great player but unfortunately he has been riddled with injuries...don't need to be a doctor to see that pattern - he's been struggling in and out since 2012 - joint injuries too - knee... - when you have joint injuries it affects the rest of the body when its not right - as everything is out of sync - i know because I've had them myself - it's something you have to get right - even professionals take 6 to 8 months and that's with international standard surgeons and physio... It's a no brainer if you keep braking down with injuries - the body needs a break

There were years there when he was a dual county minor, played hurling and football for Loughmore at minor and u21 and possibly a bit senior too, he also hurled for the Harty in Thurles....

That's madness on the body...

As for O'Leary picking his own club guys I've heard that about every manager from Sheehy and Gleeson - and O'Shea and his cousin Hamill - load of ****e

Michael Ryan as a manager...not sure about that... who has he managed? Who has Declan Fanning managed?

Bit disappointed it's not someone like William Maher or Eddie Enright...

what senior teams have either Wiliam Maher or Eddie Enright managed? Who is Sheehy? If its Liam Sheedy your referring to what clubmate did he show favouritism to?

Darren Gleeson - I mentioned Gleeson right beside Sheedy - many people said he shouldn't been on the squad...

William Maher with club side Ballingarry before later serving as a selector with the Dublin minor team in 2008. Maher was a selector with the Tipperary under-21 team in 2010 before guiding the Tipperary minor team to All-Ireland success in 2012. In October 2013 he became part of Derek McGrath's management team to the Waterford senior hurlers.

Eddie Enright has had a lot of success with UCC in Fitzgibbon Cup as Manager...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It's greater the players that they know who the boss will be for the next couple of years anyway, allows some bit of continuity for them.

Congrats to Aherlow & Tipperary Footballer Ciaran McDonald on making the Irish International Rules Panel

Darren Gleeson - I mentioned Gleeson right beside Sheedy - many people said he shouldn't been on the squad...

William Maher with club side Ballingarry before later serving as a selector with the Dublin minor team in 2008. Maher was a selector with the Tipperary under-21 team in 2010 before guiding the Tipperary minor team to All-Ireland success in 2012. In October 2013 he became part of Derek McGrath's management team to the Waterford senior hurlers.

Eddie Enright has had a lot of success with UCC in Fitzgibbon Cup as Manager...

That's Darren Gleeson the current all star goalie your talking about? Willie Mahers management credentials at senior level amount to managing his home club and being a selector in that joke shop of a Waterford set up? Eddie Enright again by your own admission has no experience of managing at senior level.....

Yes, Do you know how to read?

I'm not questioning Gleeson or Sheedy - I was replying to someone else who questioned O'Leary for picking certain people and putting club before County. I replied that these are stereotypical rumors about every manager - from Sheedy to O'Shea. It's bull****. I never questioned Gleeson - can you follow an argument...I merely pointed the same rumors where about Darren at the time when Sheedy brought him in. - What's your point? Do you have one? Other than trying to argue for the sake of it?

Waterford - a joke shop? That's your opinion - it's still experience whether its Waterford or his own club. I notice you left out the minors and under 21....what's your point?

Eddie Enright has plenty of experience at third level - where teams are made up of all the upcoming county stars - it's seen as important stage for hurlers and managers - including Eamon O'Shea - not the only one - but I know Shefflin and Eamon Corcoran and others have talked about it as a period of time when you can be totally professional - you have the freedom to train twice a day if you want as you've no job. Eddie Enright has had a lot of success with UCC. He has been involved with the Watergrasshill club in Cork in recent years. - what's your point?!?!? Do you have any point or information at all?

Bit of advice - follow the thread properly - don't just butt in to make a point which misses the initial point...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads I don't like the idea of the manager for 2016 already being decided, especially when he's already involved in the set up. Think there are two many variables to guaranteeing someone a job which won't start until for another 15 months. Players who aren't currently being picked despite possibly being good enough are very disheartened this past week with that news. Sometimes when a manager is leaving a fresh start is what's needed where all players are fighting for positions. This will be seen as a continuation where players who aren't being picked now will have the same problem in 12 months.

What if we have a terrible season next year where we lose our 2 championship games and are out of it by June? Do we really want that managers assistant coming in and taking over?

Michael ryan is a somebody I admired greatly as a player and he's done well as an assistant but management is a different ball game altogether.

Just don't see why it would have been a problem to announce the new manager next October when the season is over and done with.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Very good point - was thinking that too...it's dangerous. But, I suppose the other side of it is the boys don't want to see a situation where our pants is down when Sheedy walked away...

In that type of situation the incoming manager must have the character to do what is needed - does what's best for the squad rather than picking those he has an emotional tie to or loyalty with - that will be Ryan's challenge...

Never struck me as management material... in terms of composure - Tell you one thing though...he won't be bullied on the sideline....that's for sure!!!!

I hope he does a great for Tipp - and he deserves to do one - he's given great service - and he's very passionate

Yes, Do you know how to read?

I'm not questioning Gleeson or Sheedy - I was replying to someone else who questioned O'Leary for picking certain people and putting club before County. I replied that these are stereotypical rumors about every manager - from Sheedy to O'Shea. It's bull****. I never questioned Gleeson - can you follow an argument...I merely pointed the same rumors where about Darren at the time when Sheedy brought him in. - What's your point? Do you have one? Other than trying to argue for the sake of it?

Waterford - a joke shop? That's your opinion - it's still experience whether its Waterford or his own club. I notice you left out the minors and under 21....what's your point?

Eddie Enright has plenty of experience at third level - where teams are made up of all the upcoming county stars - it's seen as important stage for hurlers and managers - including Eamon O'Shea - not the only one - but I know Shefflin and Eamon Corcoran and others have talked about it as a period of time when you can be totally professional - you have the freedom to train twice a day if you want as you've no job. Eddie Enright has had a lot of success with UCC. He has been involved with the Watergrasshill club in Cork in recent years. - what's your point?!?!? Do you have any point or information at all?

Bit of advice - follow the thread properly - don't just butt in to make a point which misses the initial point...

first off apologies, your correct I misread your input on the Gleeson and Sheedy point. I agree with you 100% on that.

What would you call Waterford this year? A joke shop is being kind. I deliberately left out Willies coaching at underage level because the point we are talking about is senior experience. Fanning has as much experience as the 2 guys you mentioned that's all. I don't rate the Fitzgibbon cup quite as highly as you obviously.

That's fair enough!

Waterford have been poor - that's a fact - it's a new regime - coming into a team in transition - it will take them time that's for sure. I wouldn't be as dismissive as you. A lot of big names have moved on and they're trying to create a new team...

I think there is an advantage if you've worked with players beforehand - whether it's at minor, under 21, or college - particularly if you've had success...that generates belief in a manager and confidence... - a winning set up - Who has Fanning managed or been a selector with? I'm not privy to much about him - but I do know William Maher has had success with underage teams that should be ready to make the break through to the senior ranks...

That might not have worked for Declan and Tommy but they can say we won Munster twice - O'Shea hasn't made a munster final... - but O'Shea had no part in the most bizarre and useless tactic in a game ever...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Advertisement