Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

Lar could well do another season but the other over 30s players really need to think long and hard about what type of contribution they can realistically make next year. Lar will have to be monitored closely too. It could just prove to be one year too many for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I'd say its more of a case of keeping leadership and experienced heads in the squad - I still think Lar has a valuable 20/15 minutes in him....

I don't know about a full game...

Eoin and Paul - should be kept for their experience and leadership

I'd say its more of a case of keeping leadership and experienced heads in the squad - I still think Lar has a valuable 20/15 minutes in him....

I don't know about a full game...

Eoin and Paul - should be kept for their experience and leadership

What about the new generation of players waiting in the wings? We have enough leaders on the panel as it is tbh. Brendan Maher, Padraic, Conor O'Mahony, Saint, Cahill, Seamie, Noelie, Bonnar, Gleeson, and Rocky have all been there quite a while now. Bergin, Barry and Bubbles are all going into their 3rd season. We dont lack those experienced leaders if you ask me. Look at all the league, Munster and all ireland finals those players have played in.
    Its high time for the next generation of players to come on board. Im as grateful as the next man for what Eoin, Johno and Paul Curran have done for Tipperary hurling but to be honest their time has gone, their legs have gone.

I have heard that 4 players have been called up, Mouse, David Butler from Drom (wrong David, right club), Liam Treacy from Loughmore and Sean Maher from Clonoulty. To be honest 4 isnt enough and there are plenty of other players that stood out at intercounty level who should be looked at. Cody tried 40 or 50 players out in training sessions last year. He scoured the length and breadth of the county. As a result it kept his existing players on their toes and the lads on the fringes upped the ante, the likes of Padraig Walsh and John Power. This loyalty O'Shea is showing is all very well and noble but to be honest evoked sets are for Giovanni Trappatoni. In this game you have to be ruthless - 10 all ireland crowns in 15 seasons is testimony to this.

• Advertisement

They've all been there 'a while' but what have they led Tipp to...

They were youngsters in 2010 - they were led....they never shoved on - still question marks there in terms of last year - just because seamie showed maturity last year does not mean it will be there next year - I hope it is - it should be....

As for Noelie being a leader...no...

Bonnar is a man of action - a leader in that sense ... if he is a talker...doubt it

O'Mahony not in the team - Cahill not in the team for a finish - wouldn't say Gleeson is a leader yet...

Anyway - it's up to the younger players to play them out of the team...and play them off the squad...

Who should be looked at?

Lots to be said for keeping players who have been there and done it all - Henry's legs are gone - he was kept - Tommy's legs... - Brian Hogan....they were kept...for a reason...

I still think Kelly, Curran, and Lar are important for this group.... - not until they win an all-Ireland without them on the field - i still think they need them...as voices in the squad...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

So lads after watching the recent club action around the country how far behind is tipp senior club hurling?

Behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

buggy beag wrote: »
    So lads after watching the recent club action around the country how far behind is tipp senior club hurling?
    Behind in what ways? There is way too many senior clubs which dilutes the standards overall and the proposed changes don't go far enough and something much more radical is needed for club hurling to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Kelly and Curran were great tipperary hurlers and should be remembered as such but in terms of the development of this team we need lads who are leaders on the field to take over the reins. While the two lads remain on the panel (in leadership roles only) they are like a safety blanket to fall back on for the new leaders.
    We need to challenge the younger lads more in this department, they've never shirked responsibility on the field but there has been questions about some off it. I would look at the likes of Cahill, Brendan, Padhraic and Bonner to be the new leaders on the panel and they're all only mid 20s so plenty of years with them as the nucleus

• Advertisement

Kelly and Curran haven't been on the field - so those lads have been trying to lead... Brendan Maher is the captain... = nothing wrong with our hurling - but got out fought twice though - this year and last year -

i see your point - but they haven't even won a league or a Munster championship without Kelly and Curran on the field yet...

I'd say that weighs heavily on Eamon's mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

So John O Brian has announced his retirement. It would be awful to see him fade into obscurity so I'm happy for him. Thanks for the good times Johnno...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Behind?

As in challenging for Munster and all Ireland club honours

I think until we sort out the club structure tipp clubs will struggle at the munster grade - However, i don't think some clubs are that far behind at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I think until we sort out the club structure tipp clubs will struggle at the munster grade - However, i don't think some clubs are that far behind at all

We are not really that far off at all. Just the spread of inter-county players isn't really working for our clubs at the moment. Just don't have enough top class forwards at any one club, unlike say Ballyhale, even Cratloe.

Best of luck to Johno in retirement. Brilliant servant to Tipperary hurling. Owes us nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

What a great servant johno was through the years and always left everything on the field and to come back from a serious accident just showed us what a man he was,that performance against waterford in the 2010 all ireland semi final really stands out,he gave an outstanding display that day,and also i will never forget that goal he got against clare in the 2008 munster final,the terrace nearly shook that day with the roar when it hit the net,what a goal that was, caught it from the puck out ran at the goal and stuck it in the top of the net.just when clare were starting to get back into the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Congratulations to John O'Brien on a great career with Tipperary and best of luck to him in retirement.

• Advertisement

Not to mention he played the 2012 All-Ireland semi final the day after his brother passed away. That shows an astounding amount of dedication that I couldn't fathom having myself..

Eddie Brennan @NedzerB13
    Follow
    Jeez we're even managing to beat tipp at retirements 3kk & 1tipp ���� all big losses #Revolution

Eddie Brennan @NedzerB13
    Follow
    Jeez we're even managing to beat tipp at retirements 3kk & 1tipp ���� all big losses #Revolution

It's four now.. I reckon Shefflin will stay for another year because not only does he give Kilkenny a second wind in the latter stages of a game but he still has a bit left in the tank.. Next year should be an interesting one.

GerB40 wrote: »
    It's four now.. I reckon Shefflin will stay for another year because not only does he give Kilkenny a second wind in the latter stages of a game but he still has a bit left in the tank.. Next year should be an interesting one.

Eddie had forgotten all about poor old David Herity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I heard a KK man say,now we're down to players with only 4 or 5 all Ireland medals each.:(

tippspur wrote: »
    I heard a KK man say,now we're down to players with only 4 or 5 all Ireland medals each.:(

Well until we start copping the Fúck on and getting our structures right then we cant really complain. The fact the county board sanctioned a crucial football match in a meadow recently would really concern me about just who is running GAA in the county.

A very mediocre soccer player talking about something he knows fúck all about. Easy for soccer players show commitment when they are on thousands per week. GAA players train at a unbelievable standard and have to hold down a full time job at the same time. Most important fact is that they dont earn for what they do. As for soccer players, most of them rest on the field. Hunt to be fair to him is full of energy even if most of it used is without purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A bit of a piss take. He makes some ok points but ruins them with idiotic comments
    A very mediocre soccer player talking about something he knows fúck all about. Easy for soccer players show commitment when they are on thousands per week. GAA players train at a unbelievable standard and have to hold down a full time job at the same time. Most important fact is that they dont earn for what they do. As for soccer players, most of them rest on the field. Hunt to be fair to him is full of energy even if most of it used is without purpose.
    That's a ridiculous argument and why be so personal? His actual playing ability is irrelevant to the point he made and as for the comments on the wages they earn and the players resting on the field :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Advertisement