Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel sickness.

• 08-01-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

My youngest dog Monty is just 14 weeks old and suffers very badly from travel sickness when in the car. I've tried a lot of different things so far, and hope it's just something he'll grow out of, but if anyone has any other tips I'd be grateful.

So far we have tried :
    Different seats: front, back, boot. (Hatchback with no parcel shelf)
    No feeding before = wretching but no vomit
    Only water before = watery bile vomit
    Small amounts of food before = vomit
    Windows fully open
    Windows open slightly
    Windows closed.
    Very short journeys
    Longer journeys

Nothing makes a difference.
    He has been on two long train trips and has seemed to enjoy them though!

Here's some pics of the wee fella, breaks my heart to see him so sad in the car, and he still jumps in happily because he knows he always gets brought somewhere nice like the forest or beach and gets lots of treats on arrival.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Aw the poor fella. Puppies and younger dogs do seem to suffer more and seems to be related to the fact that the area of the ears that relate to balance aren't fully developed yet. Most should grow out of it as they mature.

Where is he in the car (back or front?) Is he secured with a harness? You can get special dog "seat belts" that would make him feel more secure and stop him moving around. Have him face forward too, same reasoning is used with kids as well. Looking forward rather than back or sidewards helps a bit.

I think you can get travel sickness tablets for dogs, but have never used them or heard if they're effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Isn't he just the dinkiest little fella ever! What is he a cross of?

I find a ginger nut biscuit or two is great for settling travelling stomachs.
    Make sure to turn off the car air vents as the recycled air can make them feel queasier again, particularly if it's on the heat setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

That is the cutest puppy Ive seen for a long time!!! Bearded collie?

Good advice from previous replies - my youngest dog was so travel sick at first. Because we bring our dogs with us a lot when we go places, we had to try to fix this. Solution, was to bring him for lots and lots of very short trips. He is fine now, so I dont know if it was all the 'practise' trips, or if he grew out of it. The fact that Monty is still happy to get in to the car is great - keep that going (treats at end of the journey, as you are), and he will hopefully soon get used to the car as he matures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Thanks guys. Mother is ****zu X CKC, was told the father might be a retriever but we have no idea, can't really see any in him though.

I have a harness and seat belt clip for him alright.

Will just persevere with the short trips and try the ginger nut biscuit to see if that helps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh wow! He's a cutie alright!
    The advice aonb gave is spot on, bring him in the car for very short trips, I mean a 1 minute drive around the block. Sit beside him, and wedge him into your leg, with cushions over the other side to stop him rolling. Do this for a number of days, and as long as he doesn't start the symptoms of sickness, go a tiny bit longer... but if you hit a stage where he starts to dribble or look a bit green, stop, and go home, walking him home if need be (presuming you have someone who can drive you!). There's nothing to stop you doing this a couple of times a day if you have the time. No food for several hours beforehand.

You can indeed get travel sickness tablets for dogs, and they certainly help: they may be helpful for you to be able to stretch the above journeys out a little, but try not to try them unless you find that the dribbling starts within seconds of getting in the car, or that you're not moving forward after weeks in terms of being able to go a little further.

This bit will probably be a real pain: you need to try to avoid, at all costs, bringing him for any journeys that could make hi sick, whilst you're doing all of the above.

You may, just may also get some help by using a body wrap on him: these are the DIY version of the Thundershirt, and should only be used for short periods under supervision (unlike the Thundershirt), but you may just find that this helps him feel more secure, more "held together"! Here's a video about how to apply one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N83oXBZy0KM

I used to get travel sick as a kid, really badly, and although I grew out of it I do still, on the very odd occasion, get it... it's feckin horrible. Your pup has my every sympathy :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement