Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely difficult to wake up

Options
  • 08-01-2014 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

I find it extremely difficult to wake up and get out of bed in the morning. I usually get eight hours sleep but always need someone to wake me. Has anyone else had any experience with this, I don't hear alarm clocks or when I do, I turn them off in my sleep so I always need someone to physically wake me. Most people say they have difficulty sleeping but my difficulty in waking up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I find it extremely difficult to wake up and get out of bed in the morning. I usually get eight hours sleep but always need someone to wake me. Has anyone else had any experience with this, I don't hear alarm clocks or when I do, I turn them off in my sleep so I always need someone to physically wake me. Most people say they have difficulty sleeping but my difficulty in waking up!

theres a sleep monitaring app u can get and it can give you a graff of when its best for you to wake up in your lightest sleeping point after any where near 6 to 8 hours worth taking a look.

That might help you. sounds like your in a deep stage of sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

this can be tough on dark mornings.
    Get a dawn simulator or just switch on you bedside light as your first alarm goes off.
    the brightness is a good help to signal to your brain to get up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Chavez

I have always been the same. I find it useful to change the alarm sound often because yer body adjust to the regular alarm and you sleep right through it or dismiss it. I usually only find this happening to me when I've had persistent nights of lack of sleep where I get three hours a night then I start sleeping through alarms 'cause my brain really doesn't want to be awake.

Also, a thing that might help is the 90 minute sleep cycle. So the idea is you plan yer alarm around yer sleep cycles. So if you went to bed at 23:00, you'd wanna be setting yer alarm fer either 06:30 or 08:00. It ensures yer waking up at the end of a sleep cycle instead of in the middle of one. So yer brain would be more alert and you'd wake easier! You can of course push back or forward bed times to accommodate :) Worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yeah, seems like you are missing a window in your sleep cycle to wake.

Before you go to bed, picture a huge digital clock (I used this technique, a hands clock may work too). Picture a time you want to get up at, concentrate on it before you are ready to settle down to sleep. Your brain now knows what time it should be getting up at. May not work first time around but give it a few gos.

As soon as you awake, get up. Even if it's slightly earlier than you planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Miggle Kop

Have you tried practicing waking up?

Put your alarm over the other side of the room with a bottle of water next to it. Every evening practice getting out of bed like you would in the morning about 5 times. Go over to the alarm clock, tap the off button, quickly take a swig of water and take 5 deep breaths to clear your head. After a few weeks of practice this routine should become automatic in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

it happens to me sometimes, it lasted 2 weeks a couple of months ago. Id wake up after 8-10 hrs but could barely keep my eyes open, as soon as I closed them Id be asleep again 5 seconds later for another hour, and it could repeat another few times.

it's strange because I wanted to wake up and I wasnt depressed.

Advertisement