Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amount of BTEA

Options
  • 08-01-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

I'm currently unemployed and have been since last year. I was self employed in 2011 so when making a claim last year I wasn't entitled to JB due to not having enough contributions in 2011.
    I have enough contributions from 2012 to enable me to now claim JB for 9 months. I'm hoping to enter a degree course in september/october this year and claim BTEA.
    My question is regarding the rate of BTEA I will receive and how is it calculated.
    I know its the rate you were on before you started the course. When exactly is starting the course determined?
    If I'm getting JB at €188 but entitled to less on a means tested JA what will I get?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

BTEA is the maximum dole, regardless of what you were on before. Your course start date is determined when you get a letter from the college with the start date on it.

I was on 144 a week, and while on btea receive full dole of 188, however during the summer months it reverts to your previous payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

BTEA is the maximum dole, regardless of what you were on before. Your course start date is determined when you get a letter from the college with the start date on it.

I was on 144 a week, and while on btea receive full dole of 188, however during the summer months it reverts to your previous payment.

Thanks ;)
    Was worried that I'd go back to the means tested amount if my JB ran out before I started the course.

no, as far as im aware even if your payment is 20 euro a week, you btea payment remains the same as it is not means tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Actually that's no longer the case. Since January 2013 if you are over 25 you get the same amount of money on BTEA as you would get were you on another social welfare payment. So if you are on €144 per week Jobseekers you stay on that rate unless you are under 25, in which case you would get €160.
    1.16 Rates of Payment

BTEA is a separate, stand alone scheme. Since January 1st 2013, the practice of uprating all those on means tested payments including OFP and Disability Allowance up to the maximum personal rate has been discontinued for new entrants.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx#1.16

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Actually that's no longer the case. Since January 2013 if you are over 25 you get the same amount of money on BTEA as you would get were you on another social welfare payment. So if you are on €144 per week Jobseekers you stay on that rate unless you are under 25, in which case you would get €160.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx#1.16

This is true, sorry op as i am over 25 this doesnt apply to me, i get the feeling that op may be too as he was previously self employed.

• Advertisement

This is true, sorry op as i am over 25 this doesnt apply to me, i get the feeling that op may be too as he was previously self employed.

Yes unfortunately over 25 :)

paperclip2 wrote: »

So if course starts on October 1st and on that date I'm on Jobseekers Benefit @188 will I get that for the duration of the course or will I get the means tested Jobseeks Allowance that I currently get @110?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Moomat wrote: »
    So if course starts on October 1st and on that date I'm on Jobseekers Benefit @188 will I get that for the duration of the course or will I get the means tested Jobseeks Allowance that I currently get @110?

As far as I know you keep the rate of payment that would apply were you not on BTEA. So if you are on €188 immediately prior to starting the course you should be on this rate during the course.

The FAQ section on the DSP website says that the BTEA payment will be equal to your previous social welfare payment.
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/BTEA-Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx#q8

Thanks for the info folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Moomat wrote: »

Fairly sure you would get the 188

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement