Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Remembering The Name of a Book.

• 08-01-2014 12:52pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was in the library the other day and saw a book on the recently returned shelf.
    I read the synopsis and thought it might be worth a read but I had other books on my "To Read" list I wanted first. I made a mental note of the book but then completely forgot it and the author.

Here's what I remember....

The cover was like a guy with wings standing on the edge of a building.

The authors name sounded Irish and I think there was a quote from Colum McCann on the cover.

The story was about a boy, raised as an orphan until he was maybe 10 or so and then his mother, who they all thought was dead, comes and claims him and moves them to San Francisco (I think) where she works as a singer in some dingy club. The kid finds solace in listening to the radio and something about astronauts, I think they're on the radio too, and he dreams of finding his real father.

I feel like the title was something like "This Great Destitution" or something along those lines.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement