Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thomas Hitzlsperger announces he is gay

• 08-01-2014 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Guardian Link

Wow, this is a pretty high profile player (now retired, it must be noted).

He doesn't seem to have suffered for it, and the way he talks about the "gay jokes" is pretty different to the usual also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Shouldn't be an issue in this day and age. Those abusing gay players will be looked back at in time with same derision as those who didn't want black people in golf or Catholics at their football club etc

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Yep and with a bit of luck in the near future we wont have to use words like 'WOW' when someone comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Who cares really. Shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Shouldn't be an issue in this day and age. Those abusing gay players will be looked back at in time with same derision as those who didn't want black people in golf or Catholics at their football club etc

Who is abusing gay players though. We don't know what reaction they would get as there are none that have come out. None high profile anyway. Would they abuse be that bad to deal with. Players have to deal with fans singing songs about their dead family members, handicapped kids and so on. So much sick **** out there being sung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'd say it's an issue because of abuse from the crowd if it was public.

Don't think their team-mates would be the main problem, if a problem at all.

He did wait until he was retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Fair play to him. He had a lethal boot of the ball if i remember correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

djPSB wrote: »
    Who cares really. Shouldn't be an issue.

That fact that you said shouldn't be an issue, rather than isn't an issue, tells me you know that a lot of people care. The casual lefty approach isn't working. It's a huge issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Or Protestants at their football club, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Seems like he was already out to his colleagues which is great to hear. The next step is for a player brave enough to come out whilst still playing. Then for FIFA and any local law enforcement to crack down as severely on any homophobic chanting etc in line with racism.

I have a funny feeling Sepp and his cronies would fall badly short here. Picturing him making a wholly inappropriate joke about pansies or poofs in a press conference.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Who is abusing gay players though. We don't know what reaction they would get as there are none that have come out. None high profile anyway. Would they abuse be that bad to deal with. Players have to deal with fans singing songs about their dead family members, handicapped kids and so on. So much sick **** out there being sung.

I think its a fair assumption that were a high profile player to come out, he'd be subject to quiet a lot of abuse at grounds, given the abuse that still goes on
    ThirdMan wrote: »

Of course. Has that happened anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, religion shouldn't really hijack this thread. You'll get supporters of both of those clubs rehashing old arguments that are better suited to those clubs threads where the rest of us can blissfully ignore it.

Thanks.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

do you know what I would like (and was tempted) to come in here and take the piss out of him like I do with my gay cousin, but I know I would get flamed and taken up wrong.

nothing too harsh just banter.

Its crazy to think that its 2014 and we cant rip the piss like I would with any mate, about any silly thing, and we both have a laugh.

now I am not saying someone's sexuality is just 'a silly thing' in today's times with many young men and women probably out there today tormented by society's view point on being gay, but it should (and hopefully will be)over come in the near future.

enough said and gone way off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Off topic, and not to be continued in this thread.

I think its a fair assumption that were a high profile player to come out, he'd be subject to quiet a lot of abuse at grounds, given the abuse that still goes on

I don't think that's a fair assumption.

United fans don't abuse Rooney for being scouse - but they abuse scousers (Build a bonfire, Feed the Scousers, YSB etc)

Football fans wouldn't abuse a specific gay man, but they may continue to use anti-gay slurs in words of songs.

In fact, I've never heard anything along the lines of "Ah ye fckin faggit" at any football match, toward any player at all, and I just don't think it would start.

Of course. Has that happened anywhere?

I just wish players would have the balls to just come out. People don't give a **** anymore. Of course he would get abuse but would it be any worse than the normal abuse they get. Actually I think it would be a tiny minority that would abuse it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

News that should not be news.

/in before first Bender joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I just wish players would have the balls to just come out. People don't give a **** anymore. Of course he would get abuse but would it be any worse than the normal abuse they get. Actually I think it would be a tiny minority that would abuse it.

Yes they do unfortunately!

I just wish players would have the balls to just come out.

What? "The balls to come out" - why? Who's business is it? If a gay man wants to remain private for whatever reason, it's perhaps not a lack of balls, maybe it's just that he doesn't want all sundry knowing his private business.

also, are you some kind of juvenile. No-one cares any more is perfectly fine, but your attitude totally dismisses the internal personal struggle many LGBT people go through to get to the point where they can even admit to themselves that they are "different".
    Actually I think it would be a tiny minority that would abuse it.
    Indeed it would be a small minority.

Is it from fear of abuse from fans or because of the stigma attached to being guy by fellow footballers? I'd say more the latter.

In England you are booted out of a stadium for shouting homophobic slurs. It gets the same treatment as racist slurs /songs afaik.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yes they do unfortunately!

How do you know that though. I used to go to a lot of games home and away and didn't hear much gay stuff. It would all die away fairly soon anyway. Is football that alien from the real world that we couldn't accept a gay player.

• Advertisement

What? "The balls to come out" - why? Who's business is it? If a gay man wants to remain private for whatever reason, it's perhaps not a lack of balls, maybe it's just that he doesn't want all sundry knowing his private business.

also, are you some kind of juvenile. No-one cares any more is perfectly fine, but your attitude totally dismisses the internal personal struggle many LGBT people go through to get to the point where they can even admit to themselves that they are "different".

Indeed it would be a small minority.

Hang on are you saying gay people are different. Of course it's their own private buisness I'm saying they should not have to live a lie for the sake of playing football.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is it from fear of abuse from fans or because of the stigma attached to being guy by fellow footballers? I'd say more the latter. .
    A bit of both.

Especially when you have an FA Equality Board appointing ex-footballers with this viewpoint
    "Because of my beliefs, because of the Bible that I read, in the Bible it does state that homosexuality is detestable unto the Lord."

Stuff from the bleedin dark ages, from a man who was a footballer in the last 5-10 years.

I'd say MOST footballers from "western" nations would be ok with it - but you get these opinions from the rest fo the world - Russia, Serbia, Hungary, many African nations.

Hang on are you saying gay people are different.

Of course I'm saying that.

they are different. I never said or even intimated that different equals wrong.

A black man has different colour skin to me
    A gay man has a different sexual orientation to me

There are less gay people than straight people, they are absolutely two different things.

Are you disputing this? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I doubt any of his fellow players would have dared give him stick over it anyway. Hitzlsperger had an absolute thunderb*stard of a shot on him.

How do you know that though. I used to go to a lot of games home and away and didn't hear much gay stuff. It would all die away fairly soon anyway. Is football that alien from the real world that we couldn't accept a gay player.

You didn't hear "much" gay stuff?

How many gay people were on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I don't think that's a fair assumption.

United fans don't abuse Rooney for being scouse - but they abuse scousers (Build a bonfire, Feed the Scousers, YSB etc)

Well isnt that charming?
    Football fans wouldn't abuse a specific gay man, but they may continue to use anti-gay slurs in words of songs.

Unfortunately considering the group think mentality of so called fans, your probably right, this is obviously way out of order! (Not having a specific go at you Baldy, I know you are only relaying what you have observed / heard)

He meant that you don't generally hear any "gay abuse" at football.

I've been to games all over Ireland, and a few in England, and the only "gay abuse" I ever remember hearing is the abuse that LeSaux and Campbell got.

LeSaux because he admitted to reading The Guardian(!).

If fans are abusing a player - any player - they generally don't use gay slurs.

Of course I'm saying that.

they are different. I never said or even intimated that different equals wrong.

A black man has different colour skin to me
    A gay man has a different sexual orientation to me

There are less gay people than straight people, they are absolutely two different things.

Are you disputing this? :confused:

Listen for me someone saying their gay isn't a big thing anymore. It might be huge for them but society doesn't care anymore, not in a bad way like. It's a good thing it's not a big deal anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Agueroooo wrote: »
    do you know what I would like (and was tempted) to come in here and take the piss out of him like I do with my gay cousin, but I know I would get flamed and taken up wrong.

nothing too harsh just banter.

Its crazy to think that its 2014 and we cant rip the piss like I would with any mate, about any silly thing, and we both have a laugh.

now I am not saying someone's sexuality is just 'a silly thing' in today's times with many young men and women probably out there today tormented by society's view point on being gay, but it should (and hopefully will be)over come in the near future.

enough said and gone way off topic.

I get what you mean, and like you, I have a gay cousin and we enjoy the banter that comes with it.

Unfortunately though, these are people who have their rights challenged and deprived from the off, so unlike other things you mock people about - being ginger, fat, wonky eyed, or whatever, these things don't stop you from being able to have a marriage, adopt, etc.

That's why its so much more sensitive of an issue. And great for you and I, and our respective cousins, that we can have a laugh with them individually about it, but the wider issue is still something that is frightfully ignorant of modern times, and will be looked back upon with absolute disgust in a matter of generations - And rightly so.

Fair play to Hitzsperger. Hopefully people like him can be the springboard that leads others to be open about the sexuality and not feel the need to keep it hidden from the public, and their teammates. Can only imagine the torment that it inflicts upon them to live their life like that.

• Advertisement

How many gay people were on the pitch?

I don't know how many. If someone came out I presume any abuse would be treated in the same way as racial abuse by the stewards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Very good player Hitzlsperger, hammer of a left boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You know what just dawned on me?

If Hitzlsperger was somehow, hypothetically, still in the German squad for the Qatar WC, it would be illegal for Germany to now bring him to it, with homosexuality being illegal there.

That's mind boggling, and oh so wrong on many levels.

He meant that you don't generally hear any "gay abuse" at football.

I've been to games all over Ireland, and a few in England, and the only "gay abuse" I ever remember hearing is the abuse that LeSaux and Campbell got.

LeSaux because he admitted to reading The Guardian(!).

If fans are abusing a player - any player - they generally don't use gay slurs.

But we're not talking about players getting called gay when they are not, we are talking about the potential abuse a player will get for actually being gay.

Sure there is still a racism problem in football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Football fandom is littered with utter clowns, you only have to go to a match, the local pub or watch Soccer AM to see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The FA just have to come out (pardon the pun) and tell clubs any homophobic abuse from fans will be treated the same as racist abuse.
    Mustn't be too nice for gay fans to be in a stand where a load of fans are shouting some homophobic chant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Knex. wrote: »

If Hitzlsperger was somehow, hypothetically, still in the German squad for the Qatar WC, it would be illegal for Germany to now bring him to it, with homosexuality being illegal there.

Its some message for FIFA to send out . I have big problems with Qatar getting the world cup , its a fecking monarchy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

derm0j073 wrote: »
    Its some message for FIFA to send out . I have big problems with Qatar getting the world cup , its a fecking monarchy .

As is England, Spain??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I can't wait for the day when non news like this doesn't get announced like its a big deal.

To me anyone's lifestyle regardless of their profession is just irrelevant.

Decent player on his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

That may change if they could target a specific player though I may be wrong but am fairly sure Matt Taylor used to get a lot of stick(ooh missus) because it was rumoured he was gay.As for Hitzlsperger fair play to him and the sooner a current player feels able to come out the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

As is England, Spain??
    As in monarchy , ruled by the Al Thani family . As in not a democracy .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I didn't realise he was retired. He's only early 30's isn't he?

Has this actually happened anywhere?

I didn't realise he was retired. He's only early 30's isn't he?

Yeah I was a bit surprised too.
    He achieved a lot though, 52 caps for Germany is not to be sniffed at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Knex. wrote: »

I almost wish he would come out of retirement and the Germans selected him for that WC, just to piss off the establishment in Qatar.

Augmerson wrote: »
    I almost wish he would come out of retirement and the Germans selected him for that WC, just to piss off the establishment in Qatar.

I'd imagine being gay isn't a crime, the crime would be engaging in homosexual activity.

Apparently a French tv programme has Alex of PSG with a few controversial opinions on homosexuality, common among evangelists. Programmes on in the next few weeks I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm shocked.

52 caps for Germany?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Fair play to him, one of my favorite players of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

If there's out players and it no longer becomes a big deal at least it'll reduce the absurd rumour mongering about any player who's single, reads books, is seen walking out of an art gallery, doesn't attend crass Essex nightclubs, you get the general idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

The problem with being a current gay player and out could be in the dressing room. One man may not feel comfortable as the gay might be attracted to him. Now not every homosexual likes all men. This could be true. But isn't it the equivalent of a you going into a woman's changing room where chances are there is at least one alluring woman in the squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I changed in the same dressing rooms as my workmates for the Xmas 5 a side no-one seemed bothered.

Delighted, Thomas isn't bad looking either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement