Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thomas Hitzlsperger announces he is gay

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

COYVB wrote: »
    You can express opinion without inciting hatred. If I said I believed homosexuality to be wrong (which I don't) there's nothing wrong with that. If walk around with signs that say "burn in hell fags" I'm inciting hatred. There's a definite difference both legally and in reality.

Everyone is entitled to any opinion on anything, because opinions are personally held things. Once it doesn't go beyond that it's perfectly fine legally to believe that gays aren't the devil, black's are for the white man to subjegate and the Irish are good for nothing drunks
    It isn't the holding of these beliefs, it is the expression (particularly publicly where you're going to be expressing them to people who are alot less likely to just accept them) of them which is inciting hatred.

Saying being a homosexual is wrong is pretty much the same as saying being black is wrong. Both of these things are what somebody was born as, not by choice. People who hold these beliefs need to be locked up, people who express them, Jesus I just don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CSF wrote: »

Saying being a homosexual is wrong is pretty much the same as saying being black is wrong.

Quoted for truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

People who hold these beliefs need to be locked up, people who express them, Jesus I just don't know.

I have a friend who is uneasy around gay people. He has always been like this and he just doesn't think that being gay is right. However, he keeps it a secret to most people and he has never treated a gay person any differently.

And I certainly don't think that he should be "locked up" and I actually find your comment so baffling that I assume it was just hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I have a friend who is uneasy around gay people. He has always been like this and he just doesn't think that being gay is right. However, he keeps it a secret to most people and he has never treated a gay person any differently.

And I certainly don't think that he should be "locked up" and I actually find your comment so baffling that I assume it was just hyperbole.

we all have a friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It isn't the holding of these beliefs, it is the expression (particularly publicly where you're going to be expressing them to people who are alot less likely to just accept them) of them which is inciting hatred.

Saying being a homosexual is wrong is pretty much the same as saying being black is wrong. Both of these things are what somebody was born as, not by choice. People who hold these beliefs need to be locked up, people who express them, Jesus I just don't know.

You're completely misunderstanding what inciting hated means legally. Saying you believe homosexuality to be wrong is NOT legally inciting hated. Calling for gays to be beaten in the streets is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

COYVB wrote: »
    You're completely misunderstanding what inciting hated means legally. Saying you believe homosexuality to be wrong is NOT legally inciting hated. Calling for gays to be beaten in the streets is

This really couldn't be more true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ive had a look back through the thread. The original general consensus was that Alex was a complete moron for holding such bigoted beliefs. Nobody challenged his right to hold them.

This legal sidebar then needlessly started when a few posters curiously decided to wade in and point out that Alex was entitled to his opinion. The fact that nobody was previously claiming otherwise has me questioning their motives, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ive had a look back through the thread. The original general consensus was that Alex was a complete moron for holding such bigoted beliefs. Nobody challenged his right to hold them.

This legal sidebar then needlessly started when a few posters curiously decided to wade in and point out that Alex was entitled to his opinion. The fact that nobody was previously claiming otherwise has me questioning their motives, tbh.

This is the second post you've of yours on the subject of the legality of Alex's views. The first you began by countering an argument nobody made, and the second you've implied that those arguing for Alex's right have ulterior motives, the obvious implication being agreement with such views.

Nobody condoned Alex's views, there was however plenty saying they such views are illegal, as with racist views. This is the point that was disputed, the below being examples of such
    efb wrote: »
    People have a right to be racist?
    Dempsey wrote: »
    Thats not the case in places like the UK
    JPA wrote: »
    Holding a belief is one thing but expressing a homophobic or racist belief is illegal.
    But it isn't a right to a degree, it isn't a right at all. Expressing bigoted beliefs is considered incitement of hatred, not an entitlement to an opinion. Rightly so too.

You're clutching at straws here in your crusade to find something to be offended by, to take the moral high ground over. I resent the implication that in discussing a point about a persons right to hold a view, you have baselessly implied an agreement with such views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Good article.
    Fowler doesn't come out of it looking good. He says he's not surprised with Savage, I remember a few journalists interviewed on Off The Ball said Savage was not a very niceman. That's as good as you can go without getting a ban!
    But they said he was genuinely a nasty personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

LiamoSail wrote: »
    This is the second post you've of yours on the subject of the legality of Alex's views. The first you began by countering an argument nobody made, and the second you've implied that those arguing for Alex's right have ulterior motives, the obvious implication being agreement with such views.

That was my second post in this thread, neither of which specifically addressed the legality of Alex's views (:confused:)

In my first post, I perhaps jumped the gun, in an effort to make clear that I will not tolerate any argument grounded in the flawed logic of reverse discrimination. But you actually claimed that the censoring of religiously grounded homophobia is discrimination against his religion. So having reread, I did put some words in your mouth regarding reverse discrimination, and I withdraw them, provided you were not suggesting a moral equivalence between censoring such views and the discrimination suffered by gay people.
    Nobody condoned Alex's views, there was however plenty saying they such views are illegal, as with racist views. This is the point that was disputed, the below being examples of such

<quotes>

There were indeed many posts wrongfully claiming his views were illegal, but none of the posts you quote preceded the following:
    golfball37 wrote: »
    Is Alex not entitled to his opinion the same as all the new age PC people who think being gay is ok? If he's not that Facism ladies and gents.
    LiamoSail wrote: »
    Yes it is discriminatory opinion, but that doesn't take away from his right to hold it

Prior to this, nobody questioned the legality of Alex's statement. My second post makes this exact point, that the legal sidebar stemmed from the curious arrival of posters keen to support Alex's right to express his views. And many reasons may explain the motives of these posters - boredom, the thrill of playing raconteur, trolling, unyielding devotion to the 2nd amendment of the US constitution, etc. I was keen not to specify, as there's no way of knowing. You claimed agreement with his position, but those are your words, not mine.
    You're clutching at straws here in your crusade to find something to be offended by, to take the moral high ground over. I resent the implication that in discussing a point about a persons right to hold a view, you have baselessly implied an agreement with such views.

So two posts on an Internet forum is a crusade now? And where on earth does it suggest that I am either (a) offended or (b) trying to take the moral high ground?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

That was my second post in this thread, neither of which specifically addressed the legality of Alex's views (:confused:)

Both addressed the discussion on Alex's views, and in both cases you inferred I was in agreement with his views. I have stated on numerous occasions that I do not agree with them.

In my first post, I perhaps jumped the gun, in an effort to make clear that I will not tolerate any argument grounded in the flawed logic of reverse discrimination. But you actually claimed that the censoring of religiously grounded homophobia is discrimination against his religion. So having reread, I did put some words in your mouth regarding reverse discrimination, and I withdraw them, provided you were not suggesting a moral equivalence between censoring such views and the discrimination suffered by gay people.

That certainly wasn't what I was suggesting. I agreed with your points on the subject, my issue was that it was in response to a point I hadn't made.
    There were indeed many posts wrongfully claiming his views were illegal, but none of the posts you quote preceded the following:

There was (though I didn't quote it), you may have missed it but my first post on the topic, which you have quoted, was disagreeing with the notion he had a right to his views. Prior to me posing anything on the topic, two posters (golfball37 & efb) were discussing whether or not he was entitled to his opinion, and each had opposing views.
    Prior to this, nobody questioned the legality of Alex's statement. My second post makes this exact point, that the legal sidebar stemmed from the curious arrival of posters keen to support Alex's right to express his views. And many reasons may explain the motives of these posters - boredom, the thrill of playing raconteur, trolling, unyielding devotion to the 2nd amendment of the US constitution, etc. I was keen not to specify, as there's no way of knowing. You claimed agreement with his position, but those are your words, not mine.

As I said, his right to his views was questioned prior to me posting anything on the topic. I quoted said post when I made my first point on the topic.

I don't know is that a typo you've made, but I certainly never claimed agreement with his position as you state. On numerous occasions I stated the opposite.

As for the rationale, it's something I've been reading a lot about recently, all stemming from the "offensive behaviour at football" bill in Scotland. I follow a few Celtic forums, and its a closely related topic - that is, a persons right to hold a certain political view. Obviously its quiet relevant to Celtic with the Green Brigade & Irish republicanism

So two posts on an Internet forum is a crusade now? And where on earth does it suggest that I am either (a) offended or (b) trying to take the moral high ground?

A crusade was clearly too strong. My issue was that you misrepresented my view, and baselessly implied I initiated a discussion on the legality of Alex's views as I agreed with them.

As I said, it was being discussed and it's a discussion related to another that at present is quiet prominent. To make implications as you have done is both wrong & unnecessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

cathalio11 wrote: »

Ok. I think your friend is a bad person and should be locked up.

Advertisement