Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Arsenal - Contains Scores

• 28-11-2004 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Both teams look like being rather light upfront if Henry and Berkamp fail fitness tests. Nunez will be in the team but dunno if he'll start or not.

I said in the predictions thread a draw at best, I'll stick with that. Though Man City beating Villa with some ease gives me hope! :)

Mike.

ps NTL in Waterford have lost the fivelive feed which is just fupping brilliant and I bet the web cast is restricted by copywrite. Grrrrrrr.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

ive a feeling 'pool will nick it. should be good match, both teams in poor form. massive test for arsenal, lose and it will prove yet again they cant cope with pressure, win and their back in business sticking to chelsea at the top.

as for pool, a win would do the confidence a world of good. big match for them, but i cant see them losing. if they keep their shape and discipline against arsenal in the form their in, they should get at least a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Mellor and Pongolle start. As does Gerrard. Nunez on bench.

Arsenal unchanged from PSV, meaning Henry starts.

For some reason I think there is going to be goals. Im putting my money on a 2-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Full teams

C Kirkland, S Finnan, S Hyypia, J Carragher, J Riise, S Gerrard, X Alonso, D Hamann, H Kewell, N Mellor, F Sinama Pongolle

Subs: J Dudek, S Diao, A Nunez, I Biscan, S Warnock

Lehmann, B Lauren, K Toure, S Campbell, A Cole, F Ljungberg, P Vieira, F Fabregas, R Pires, J Reyes, T Henry

Subs: R Van Persie, M Flamini, P Senderos, M Almunia, J Hoyte

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

commentary I'm reading seems positive enough for LFC.

/shakes head as realises kiss of death has been made

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

what a goal liverpool 1
    xabi = hero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Kiss of death?

Alonso, 1-0, just before half time.

Nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

1-0 the pool. Alonso and well deserved I belive.

ding wrote:
    well deserved I belive.

Shots:
    Liverpool 6
    Arsenal 0

Corners:
    Liverpool 3
    Arsenal 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Liverpool should have had a penalty in the opening few minutes when Gerrard gott aken down after being hit in the knee by Toures trailing leg. Was a penalty but Gerrard made the most of it.

Arsenal have done very little all game as those stats above show.
    They made one real go at scoring wen they broke with 6 players but liverpool broke it up and shoulda done better with the resulting counter.

Mellor hit the bar and was incorrectly ruled offside.

The goal was very very good. Kinda hard to explain. Gerrard perfectly passed a small diagonal ball for alonso to run on to (middle of pitch) and scores from just outside the box. Beautiful team goal with a great finish but as it pains me to say.

Liverpool deserving of their lead and im hoping they can hold onto or build on it :D

1-1

• Advertisement

What a goal, lovely move, great one touch football, and classy finish by Vieira.

1-1.

Oh. and just earlier, what a turn by Sinama.

I fear the worst now....they need to get support up to Mellor.
    Possession:
    Liverpool 50%
    Arsenal 50%

Shots:
    Liverpool 8
    Arsenal 1

Corners:
    Liverpool 5
    Arsenal 0

Fouls:
    Liverpool 6
    Arsenal 7

Bookings:
    Liverpool 0
    Arsenal 1

Mike.

Kruwell is doing my head in and I can't even see him.

Mike.

I have just fainted..............:eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

mike65 wrote:
    I have just fainted..............:eek:

Mike.

2-1

yes!!! :D

What a goal!

Not in about ten years have I seen my father jump out of a chair and punch the air!

What a goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

YES! TEKKIT

gwan the mellor!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

my eyes were actually so watery after that mellor deserved that and so did liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What an amazing goal! That was just unreal, welll deserved win, Arsenal never had a right to get a draw after that game, terrible terrible midfield and forward preformance!

What a goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

A deserved win :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I was slagging him off a minute before that for a couple of poor touches and not chasing a ball that was going out.

What a goal and hwo well did he do letting it drop before the strike, don't think he deserved man of the match, he did work hard but I thought that Gerrard deserved some recognition for how well he played. There has been more than a couple of great goals today, three in the pool game and a couple in the Newcy game too.

Viera, lucky to finish the game, especially after that dive when in posession although as the guys said on Sky, perhaps he was thinking more of missing the Birmingham game rather than the Chelsea game.

Anyway a wins a win, roll on next week.

great game, delighted for liverpool and mellor, they deserved to win, they played excellent football for the majority of the match and should have had a penalty plus vieira should have been sent off.

stunning goals all round, what a way to win a game, last kick of the game, outside of the right boot into the bottom corner from about 20 yards.

once again arsenal show how they can easily cope with pressure. (chelsea winning yesterday). outplayed, outfought and outclassed by a hardworking liverpool side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Wow couldnt believe we beat arsenal 2:1 today and by all accounts it looked like we played really well.Hopefully now we can start building from this.Well done liverpool.Finally a good result as its been kinda a depressing season so far for liverpool.How did mellor and the young french striker play then? I hear la tallac is talking about coming back too from his stinct in france as he cant get a game after been out for the last 2 months.A very proud day to be a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well deserved win for liverpool in spite of having Harry Kewell in the team, having watched him today I'm happy he made the choice he did. Arsenal showed small glimpses of class football but did very little for most of the game. I'm not sure Reyes Pires and Henry can be effective in the same team as they are all very left sided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

smemon wrote:
    great game, delighted for liverpool and mellor, they deserved to win, they played excellent football for the majority of the match and should have had a penalty plus vieira should have been sent off.

stunning goals all round, what a way to win a game, last kick of the game, outside of the right boot into the bottom corner from about 20 yards.

once again arsenal show how they can easily cope with pressure. (chelsea winning yesterday). outplayed, outfought and outclassed by a hardworking liverpool side.
    HAHA, he actually watched this match and didn't even watch the team he supposedly supports. :D

Anyone see Gerrard walking off with the champage thinking he had won the MOM? hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Henry, reyes and pires cant play in the same team. i tink henry and pires r better 2gether as we've seen over the years. or mayb pires should play on the right and freddie shud go home as he has been so poor this season

eirebhoy wrote:
    HAHA, he actually watched this match and didn't even watch the team he supposedly supports. :D

Anyone see Gerrard walking off with the champage thinking he had won the MOM? hehe.

ha ha yes how helarious, i watch one of the best matches in the league this season when your stuck with a 2-2 dundee celtic match. who's made the right choice? who's seen the better football? i pay for good football, not mutv or celtictv. thats why i dont have or want setanta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

smemon wrote:
    ive a feeling 'pool will nick it.
    Prophetic words. . .

Arsenal didn't seem too bothered about winning the game, a deserved win from the neutral stand point. I'm hoping that Chelsea can hit a bad patch soon, it'll throw the title race wide open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Liverpool were on top 1st half .. but second half arsenal moved up a gear and got the equaliser ...A draw was probably the fairest result, but I'm chuffed for Mellor just what he needs .. hope Liverpool can build on this but i'm still unsure about a lot of the pool players especially Kewell ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Liverpool deserved it TBH totally outclassed in the middle of the park.

Hopefull Wenger can now get tough on the players who didnt perform (Pires amd Henry, Reyes was terrible too)

They just need a kick up the backside really and not to forget that tackling is allowed in football.

Anyway hopefull flammini will start now instead of cesc. Nothing wrong with him as a player but needs to get more physical and he has years on his side for that!

Arsenal have to win the next match though. And its much too early to write them off in ANY competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I watched the game with 6 arsenal supporters who were really starting to piss me off. I love you Mellor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

great match. 3 goals were brilliant. liverpool should of had a peno and vieria should of been sent off.

i hope the next time a player dives to win themselves a peno and arsehole wenger gives out about it they stick that vieria dive and the pires one aswell for good measure.

great performance by liverpool, felt kirkland could of done better on the goal. Also i wasnt happy with the abuse kewell was getting by the crowd. i know hes been poor lately, but having his own fans abusing him certainly wont help. I felt he had an alright game, nothing worse then risse anyway. He made a great little knock down header for the goal, helped with the second goal aswell. not to bad i dont think. Risse certainly wouldnt of had the balls to challenge for the ball for the second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What more can you ask for. The pool played some really good football, pressured the Arsenal defence into making so many mistakes as well. Toure has about 3 lucky breaks, two penalty chances? and Mellor hitting the bar. A deserved win. We don't need no cheatinc scouse bastard to win :)

• Advertisement

An Arsenal supporter called "case n basket" asked me to post this, he probably PM'd a few people but how and ever:
    The boys got what they deserved from that match, which is absolutely zip.

Credit to Liverpool, they were excellent. Benitez got the tactics spot on, packed the midfield and had his players continually harry and close down all over the pitch, stopped our game almost completely with the exception of about 20 mins in the second half.

I wanted Wenger to play 3 across centre midfield today and this result has shown why. Reyes and Pires might aswell not have bothered playing today, they contributed nothing going forward, nothing defensively and nothing in the midfield battle. How many times did Pires completely pull out of a tackle? It's not like he has Reyes's excuse of being small.

Fabregas had a decent game and Vieira was immense in the second half but they were outnumbered and were always up against it. Arsène's tactics were wrong and he did nothing to change it, but if there are questions over Flamini's fitness then there was probably nothing he could have done with Edu and Gilberto already out.

The reargaurd played reasonably well under a fair bit of pressure, but they still look short of confident. Ashley Cole was excellent defensively and offered a lot going forward, Lauren had a messy game and struggled with Kewell.

Finally, Vieira's diving antics were disgraceful once again. For those who claim whenever he goes down its just 'drawing a foul' under contact, what about today? Blatent cheating, what kind of example does it set. I'm also getting pretty pissed off with the surrounding the referee every time a decision goes against us. Some of the players need to cool down and learn some sportsmanship.

Chelsea are now 5 points clear, deservedly so, and may well be further ahead by xmas, but the title is won in may not now. I'm surprised how many people forget this given Arsenal's recent history. A new defender is certainly needed in January and possibly a new midfielder if the injury situation doesn't let up. Cesc Fabregas may be a genius but physically he's not ready for these sort of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hhahaha f*cking beauty! I <3 Mellor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

That was absolutely brilliant!. Three great goals but what a winner! I personally thought Carragher could have kept the equaliser out if he had stretched for it and Kewell was absolutely wrecking my head. I thought Viera's dive was a disgrace and you'd have to worry if you were an Arsenal fan after that game - only 1 shot on goal/on target (albeit a goal) :confused: Great performance from the 'pool overall:)

smemon wrote:
    ha ha yes how helarious, i watch one of the best matches in the league this season when your stuck with a 2-2 dundee celtic match. who's made the right choice? who's seen the better football? i pay for good football, not mutv or celtictv. thats why i dont have or want setanta.
    I actually watched both. You don't even know what time your team played at, never mind the score, jaysus.

Top of the Premiership table:
    	                 [b]P 	W 	D 	L 	F 	A     Pts  	GD[/b] 
    Chelsea 		15 	11 	3 	1 	27 	6      [b]36[/b] 	21
    Arsenal 		15 	9 	4 	2 	39 	20     [b]31[/b] 	19
    Everton 		15 	9 	3 	3 	17 	12     [b]30[/b] 	5
    Man Utd 		15 	7 	6 	2 	19 	10     [b]27[/b] 	9
    Middlesbrough 		15 	7 	4 	4 	24 	18     [b]25[/b] 	6
    Aston Villa 		15 	6 	6 	3 	20 	16     [b]24[/b] 	4
    Liverpool 		14 	7 	2 	5 	23 	16     [b]23[/b] 	7

Whats up with Arsenal's defence? Best attack but worst defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I was slagging him off a minute before that for a couple of poor touches and not chasing a ball that was going out.

What a goal and hwo well did he do letting it drop before the strike, don't think he deserved man of the match, he did work hard but I thought that Gerrard deserved some recognition for how well he played. There has been more than a couple of great goals today, three in the pool game and a couple in the Newcy game too.

Viera, lucky to finish the game, especially after that dive when in posession although as the guys said on Sky, perhaps he was thinking more of missing the Birmingham game rather than the Chelsea game.

Anyway a wins a win, roll on next week.

Same here I was slagging him off aswell , simply breathtaking

• Advertisement

The result puts Liverpool in a pretty decent position again. Pretty much all the other results this weeekend went exactly as you would want them to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Pretty much all the other results this weeekend went exactly as you would want them to..

You sure you wouldn't have like to see United Chelsea and Everton lose as well ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

unless arsenal start another long winning streak the title is going to the bridge, which will be a sad sight as it goes to show that football is all about the money.

The Muppet wrote:
    You sure you wouldn't have like to see United Chelsea and Everton lose as well ?
    Well within reason.. Everton and Newcastle drawing was acceptable. United were always going to win and sure we will be level with ye if we win our game in hand..

Bolton, Villa and Middlesborough I meant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I wouldn't be as old as most of yee , and therefore wouldn't have as long a football memory , but does Mellor remind anyone of a young Robbie Fowler ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"United were always going to win and sure we will be level with ye if we win our game in hand"

4 points for a win??? ;)

scouse well deserved their win, really wanted it, chased down, fought and won it with a potential goal of the season.

Viera should have gone for that dive, hopefully he will get done by the FA for it, but then again what do we expect from arse.

Kewell, mother of god, what a pile of crap, to think he nearly came to United, thank god he decided to go to "an up and coming club" ;)

All in all a well deserved win, Gerard was superb, Chelsea will be hunting for him again in the transfer market

Rush set the youth team records back in the day all the way up the ranks. Fowler beat them, Owen beat those ones and Mellor obliterated Owens afaik.

as for his style, dunno.

\o\ \o/ /o/

yop wrote:
    "United were always going to win and sure we will be level with ye if we win our game in hand"

4 points for a win??? ;)
    Woops..

Chelsea wont be out to buy him this season. They dont need him..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"Woops.."

We'll let you away with it this time.....

"Chelsea wont be out to buy him this season. They dont need him.."

That is true buy they have the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Big Ears wrote:
    does Mellor remind anyone of a young Robbie Fowler ?
    No, but he does remind me of a porkier Steven Gerrard. ;)

As for the result, thoroughly deserved. Played very well, but I hardly think they have turned the corner. Its frustrating seeing Liverpool play that well and then play crap the following week. Hopefully though this time........

As for Arsenal, I think they will put together some results now. Having lost for the second time, their unbeaten run of last year will be forgotten (I mean in a mental sense, obviously its going down in history), people will stop talking about it and they will be able to focus on what they want. Despite their "blip" they are still very much in contention, and they have played 2 of their 3 toughest games this year now. They are still only 4 points behind Chelsea who have been firing on all cylinders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement