Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potted Nobel Fir

• 08-01-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭

I got a 3ft Potted Nobel Fir for the xmas.

What is the best care given the lights came off last night? I placed it a shed as temporary measure to climatise to outdoor living again and to keep it out of the wind.

Is it possible for it to survive in the pot til next year or will I have to put into the ground to survive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you want to use it for a Christmas tree next year you would probably be better to leave it in a pot. It needs to be a big pot though. They are fairly vigorous - if they were not they would not be practical to grow as cash crop christmas trees - but keeping it in a pot might help keep it under control. I suggest you repot it into a larger pot, maybe use ericacious compost (not sure about that but it seems likely that it prefers to be a bit acid).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the main issue i would be worried about was whether it was grown in the pot, or grown in the ground, and harvested and most of the roots chopped off to get it to fit into the pot, in which case its days are numbered.
    the fact that it's only a few foot tall would make your chances better, i suspect.

Advertisement