Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Felling Leylandii

• 08-01-2014 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a load of fairly tall - 30ft approx - Leylandii I am looking to have removed. As money is tight hoping to find someone who will quote just to fell them safely, whilst I'll DIY the clear up. Any recommendations of someone in Wicklow?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Tree Care Ireland is up that road kevin Birchall is there aborist am sure they would fell them for you 089 714 3544 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

where in wicklow are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

schmittel wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a load of fairly tall - 30ft approx - Leylandii I am looking to have removed.

I suggest that you should draw a distinction between having them felled and having them removed. Once they've been felled, then blocked, split and seasoned, you will get great burning out of them with little ash. And you can do the blocking & splitting yourself- Time and a single Summer like 2013 will deal with the seasoning.

If they're removed, you will probably have to pay for their removal and disposal, as well as their felling.

The first approach will set the cost of felling within the context of possibly having a few years fuel supply, and may help ease the money tight situation down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

There will be an aful lot of brash that you will want removed or chipped up and can be use as a mulch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Oldtree wrote: »
    There will be an aful lot of brash that you will want removed or chipped up and can be use as a mulch.

I didnt think they would give a lot of heat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I didnt think they would give a lot of heat?

They'll give you a lovely blaze in a stove when seasoned- They wouldn't be as hot as well seasoned Ash, for example, but they're grand for the fires you need when its not bitterly cold outside. And they leave very little ash in my experience.

I burned tons of the stuff over a 2 year period, occasionally mixed with Ash when I could find it, but usually with a few lumps of good coal to get /keep burn temperatures up.

Loved the stuff- and what a great way to get rid of it!

Advertisement