Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and shaving...

Options
  • 08-01-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm planning my next tattoo and ideally the placement is like is on my calf, at the back of my leg. Unfortunately, I am very very hairy for a girl, and my legs can sometimes resemble the wild forests of Kashyyk. I don't really shave them that much as it is but if I have a tattoo then I would want to show it off. So my question is- what impact does shaving/ waxing/ other hair removal methods have on the life and appearance of a tattoo? Anyone any personal experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't shave my leg where my tattoo is for at least three weeks after having a tattoo done. Aside from that, I have three on my legs and shaving regularly has made no difference to the appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Had to google kashyyyk. :O

I can tell you coming from a man that my tattoo of a wolf on my chest pretty much has a winter coat on it I'm quite hairy. But it suits it unfortunately I Havint seen the tattoo on my back in a few years :)
    Depending on the tattoo and you'd wanna show it off waxing would be easiest method. But don't get it done till tattoo is completely healed maybe even longer. The artist will shave the area anyway and will result is spots an rash around the area so you could be waiting a while on showing it off.
    Still winter so you've loads of time till you show it off.
    What you planning on getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Had to google kashyyyk. :O

I can tell you coming from a man that my tattoo of a wolf on my chest pretty much has a winter coat on it I'm quite hairy. But it suits it unfortunately I Havint seen the tattoo on my back in a few years :)
    Depending on the tattoo and you'd wanna show it off waxing would be easiest method. But don't get it done till tattoo is completely healed maybe even longer. The artist will shave the area anyway and will result is spots an rash around the area so you could be waiting a while on showing it off.
    Still winter so you've loads of time till you show it off.
    What you planning on getting?

Yeah sorry about the nerdy Star Wars joke... :D

I'm not 100% sure yet there's a few idea floating around in my head. I have a few stylised lion head designs that are pretty cool startin points.

It'll be ages before I get it though, I need to save up. I don't wear skirts or anything, just shorts in summer so it's not that big of a deal. I'd just like to know if I need to shave it I can and it won't look terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Lion head would be cool with natural hair. Just shave around the mane :)
    As g.s said there won't be any change in appearance of tattoo by shaving it.
    As for Star Wars- never seen it never will. But forest looks cool

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I shave the one on my thigh every so often, just so it looks better! Never had any problems! If you want to be sure, as they said above, just wait till it's fully healed, and when shaving it, try to use new, clean blades and a decent shaving cream/gel/whatever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I shave the one on my thigh every so often, just so it looks better! Never had any problems! If you want to be sure, as they said above, just wait till it's fully healed, and when shaving it, try to use new, clean blades and a decent shaving cream/gel/whatever!

And so it was on this faithful day that damo came to be known as patch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah I've 6 tattoos on my legs now and give them the odd shave so have always wondered this myself. Good to know it's not too damaging or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

fewtins wrote: »
    Yeah I've 6 tattoos on my legs now and give them the odd shave so have always wondered this myself. Good to know it's not too damaging or anything.

quickly followed by his sidekick, Patches

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I can't see it being a problem shaving once it's healed. For a second I thought you were talking about a facial tattoo mind :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I have a tattoo on my calf and I use veet on it every couple of weeks and it's had no impact on it whatsoever. I didn't veet it for at least two months after I got it done though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Good to know it's not a big deal. Thanks guys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I shaved over mine after about 2 weeks. probably wasnt the best thing to do but it didnt seem to have any affect on it. I shave it every 2 or 3 days now

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

And so it was on this faithful day that damo came to be known as patch

Does that make you 'Petal'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Leave it a month after you get tattooed before shaving again. otherwise it does nothing to your tattoo. Unless you are careless and shave a chunk of skin off your shin, possibly while intoxicated. I have a one inch by half inch patch missing out of one of my tattoos.

I also shave my arms. I am not particularly hairy and what little I have on my arms is fair, but it makes a huge difference to the intensity of the black. I spent a fair bit of money on the work, so may as well make them look their best.

If you want a tattoo to look really bright, sunscreen (or better yet no sun), moisturiser and shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'm also very very hairy for a girl!
    Have 3 tattoos in hairyish spots on my legs (and feet :( I'm that hairy! :eek: ) that are fairly regularly shaved or waxed and it hasn't seemed to have affected them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

liliq wrote: »
    I'm also very very hairy for a girl!
    Have 3 tattoos in hairyish spots on my legs (and feet :( I'm that hairy! :eek: ) that are fairly regularly shaved or waxed and it hasn't seemed to have affected them at all.

I see a lot of women's feet, and having hair on you feet is normal for adult women. Most are just fastidious about removing it. Your tattooist can tell :)

Advertisement