Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess the Village/Town/City Thread 2 (read post 1 and reminder of rules on post 9637)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

jmayo wrote: »
    That is Raharney Rd, Killucan Co Westmeath.

I thought it was near the Erne Shannon Canal when you siad 2.5 hours from "The Bridge" ?

Well done you got it right. It's near the royal canal as far as I know

Anyways your up mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ok here goes...

2hI11XL.jpg

I am not allowed discuss …

Ok give this bump...

The building in the background made headlines in the late 50s.
    But then maybe it was all just a ploy, after all the guy that ran the place was good at getting things done.
    Hell some of his lasting achievements are only a few miles from this place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I know this place is it between Sligo and Ballina???

Green white and green flag it must be somewhere in Nigeria so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kilkelly?

Its tooreen ha, the devil appeared in the ballroom In the 50s

Id say it was after a few pints ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

jayo26 wrote: »

No. He was very sober and cleancut, and a fantastic jiver to boot. He captured the heart of one lassie, and afterwards while they were against a gate doing what one does she looked down and saw the cloven hooves and screamed and he vanished in a ball of smoke. At least, that's what my pal who was in St. Jarlath's told me.
    The secular dancehall ( ballroom my eye in the 1950s! You had to go to Dublin for one of those,) in Tooreen was left in the halfpenny place by the priest's dancehalls in Mayo after that, at least where customers were concerned. What pious family would let their daughter dance with demons when there were strong farmers to be found at other venues?
    A short few years later Tooreen abandoned devil worship in favour of hurling and in doing so swapped infamy for fame and glory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Well done to all involved in the last picture, there must be thousands of sites around the country with great stories attached, keep them coming.

feargale wrote: »
    No. He was very sober and cleancut, and a fantastic jiver to boot. He captured the heart of one lassie, and afterwards while they were against a gate doing what one does she looked down and saw the cloven hooves and screamed and he vanished in a ball of smoke. At least, that's what my pal who was in St. Jarlath's told me.
    The secular dancehall ( ballroom my eye in the 1950s! You had to go to Dublin for one of those,) in Tooreen was left in the halfpenny place by the priest's dancehalls in Mayo after that, at least where customers were concerned. What pious family would let their daughter dance with demons when there were strong farmers to be found at other venues?
    A short few years later Tooreen abandoned devil worship in favour of hurling and in doing so swapped infamy for fame and glory.

Well at least I didn't call it a cow shed :):) down my neck of the woods they are all ballrooms and Even that particular dance Hall we are talking about appeared on an album cover mentioned as a ballroom :)

Thanks for the more detailed story as swiper said it's good to hear different stories and tables from sites around the country.

I'll try find a pic today and get one up.

jayo26 wrote: »

Well done.
    The secular dancehall ( ballroom my eye in the 1950s! You had to go to Dublin for one of those,) in Tooreen was left in the halfpenny place by the priest's dancehalls in Mayo after that, at least where customers were concerned.

Actually this dancehall was the priest's dancehall.
    It was really the work/brainnchild of one Mon. James Horan.

He went from Tooreen to Knock, built a new basilica, helped convince the auld pope to pay a visit and then went and built an International Airport.

Hence my hint about his lasting achievements only a few miles away.

BTW the "hell" was meant to be hint as well.

Also don't heed people who went to Jarlaths. :D

And the hurling club was launched the year before the devil made an appearance.
    I thought the blue and white flag would convince people it was in Waterford ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The devil in the ballroom is a popular legend. I heard it in relation to the Majestic in Mallow, Hi-Land in Newmarket and Horan's in Tralee.

jmayo wrote: »
    And the hurling club was launched the year before the devil made an appearance.

Maybe Nick's chat-up line was that he was a Galway hurler. He could have been, given the way Castlegar and Turloughmore slaughtered each other at that time. :D

5w9y8m.png

Sorry for the delay. This is a lovely little spot in the southern half of our country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Kelly's hayshed?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Kelly's hayshed?

Sorry I never got the name of the farm owner out back but it is indeed a hayshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭puckmymuskie

near athenry?

near athenry?

Nope sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Is it a site of interest/notoriety like the last one?

Is it a site of interest/notoriety like the last one?

Sorry no its not swiper apart from been a pub lol.

Most of the intresting places I know about are in wexford and zerks just hops on them ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Is there a holy well in close proximity? ?

Truckermal wrote: »
    Is there a holy well in close proximity? ?

I honestly don't know I'm sure they are seen as it's in ireland but im sure it be no harm to have a guess eitherway.

Bellacorick.

Bellacorick.

Nope a lot more southerly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is that the Ocky Vore?

You mean the aughyvouir near clonroche? It's not that mate. It's way too modern to be the aughyvouir this pub has a roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭puckmymuskie

This tech will kill our game I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement