Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

BOOM!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

New thread, change in teams' fortune???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

/Michael Jackson thriller popcorn gif goes here/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

hi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

s.welstead wrote: »
    New thread, change in teams' fortune???

For the rest of us hopefully not, although it cant really go on forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Any word on Rooneys fitness? Available for Saturday?

Our Year wrote: »
    hi

hi. how are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

bring back the old thread ,Look what happens when we try something new :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Reading over the posts, this has to be the most positive Man United thread in months!! :D

3 posts, top poster, yaaaay.

Whats yere favourite humming noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Moyesiah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thing can only get better............................we hope

GavRedKing wrote: »
    3 posts, top poster, yaaaay.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

twwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwenty times

whats yours :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Next year will be our year... Wait a minute wrong team or is it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Moyesception

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Is that the soudn of a man humming or the humm of a fridge? :D
    Trilla wrote: »
    twwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwenty times

whats yours :) ?

.......thats not a humming noise, I'd get that checked out if I was you.

:eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Smells like wet paint in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

20 times, 20 times, Man United

If I have grandchildren I can tell them I was alive when Man United won the League and CL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Any transfers yet?

No?

Im outta here

Is that the soudn of a man humming or the humm of a fridge? :D

:eek::pac:

Its David Moyes after everytime we concede a goal:p

.......thats not a humming noise

Yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Did we sign a new midfield yet????????????????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

We ran the gas of the electricity and the electricity off the gas

Nolars wrote: »
    Did we sign a new midfield yet????????????????????????????????

Ye can have Moses if ye want, I'm sure Liverpool would happily give him up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

The 71-year-old has surprised some by attending televised away games, including matches at Cardiff, Hull and Sunderland, none remotely near his Cheshire home.
    But Moyes insisted the presence of his predecessor, who sat alongside fellow director Sir Bobby Charlton and former captain and club ambassador Bryan Robson at Sunderland, is not an issue.
    He said in his post-match news conference: "I can only see Alex as a great sounding board for me, he's there to help. So is Sir Bobby, he's terrific. Bryan Robson is at the training ground regularly and I find the three of them terrific."
    Despite the losses to Tottenham, Swansea and Sunderland, Moyes believes United's fortunes are about to change.
    He added: "I've been here before and done it before and I just sense that it's just on its verge of turning. We're about to get a bit better.
    "If you're going to be in this job, you've got to win, the last few games I've not won, going through a difficult time, it's part of football management. It's never going to be an easy ride."

ESPN

It would be ridiculous if SAF being at a game was making any difference to United's performance or Moyes ability to run the team. It's also ridiculous to expect him not to go to the games!

Thousands of people at the game, millions watching on tv, the game un-folding in front of you, how SAF sitting in the stands going to affect Moyes or the team? :confused:

Bad news however is that United are only going to get a bit better; that rules out 4th place, overturning the semi-final, and much progress in Europe this year!

Bad news however is that United are only going to get a bit better; that rules out 4th place, overturning the semi-final, and much progress in Europe this year!

A "bit better" would make a massive difference. It's not like United are losing every game by four goals. If a "bit better" meant as little as either one less conceded or one more scored per match, then United would be in a much better position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

ESPN

It would be ridiculous if SAF being at a game was making any difference to United's performance or Moyes ability to run the team. It's also ridiculous to expect him not to go to the games!

Thousands of people at the game, millions watching on tv, the game un-folding in front of you, how SAF sitting in the stands going to affect Moyes or the team? :confused:

It certainly shouldn't as these are all professional players but I can imagine and almost subconscious atititude among some of 'I don't answer to you, I answer to him up there'..... I could be completely wrong in this but some of these players aren't really doing it for the manager.

We can all go on and on about transfers but we still have alot of quality certainly enough to wipe the floor with that Sunderland side but they are just not doing it for some reason or other.

It's certainly not the only reason but it's contributory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Along the lines of "our year", I think this will be our thread! :D

I predict we'll win our next few games and get some confidence back, we'll sign two players who will give a boost to the team and Rooney and RVP will come back from injury and start firing in the goals. We'll be in the Capital One Cup final and will be pushing for top 4 before long!

Optimism, you can't beat it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Will Moyes make it to the end of this thread? Dun dun duuuun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was saying on the old thread before lock, odds for us to sign Koke and Gund have gone down this morning, hopefully promising news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was saying on the old thread before lock, odds for us to sign Koke and Gund have gone down this morning, hopefully promising news.

Never pay any attention to betting odds for transfers.

Too easily manipulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I think on some sites, odds on signing Koke went to odds-on, however I say myself it's more likely Moyes gets nobody in

Will Moyes make it to the end of this thread? Dun dun duuuun!

Last thred lasted about 2months so I'd say he will outlast this thread and maybe the next.

http://www.hasmoyesbeensacked.com/

192 days apparently. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

ESPN

This is ridiculous and anyone who reads into this Press Garbage or Joey Barton's Twitter feed, should be removed from any footballing conversations.

Honestly. Professional manager and players. Watched the world over by millions and millions of fans. Yet SAF, sitting in the stand watching the team he supports, is 'putting the players under huge pressure'?? F**K OFF Right Now.

If he came out and said that, and SAF wasn't "allowed" go to games anymore......where will it stop?? Moyes can't have just "family and friends" at home games like :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

the most sense I have read about Moyes/Utd and coming from a City fan:eek:
    This is one of those times where the modern media really fails us as football fans in explaining exactly what has happened at Manchester United. I often complain that they focus too much on irrelevance and not enough on the actual business of football behind the scenes and this is an example of where it could have helped.
    I'm not sure what anybody else was expecting here but Man United are right about where I thought they would be. I think they'll finish higher than this but their form is somewhat predictable.
    United as a Club has completely fell apart and it is the job of David Moyes to rebuild it. It has fell apart because the Club in the modern era was built entirely to Ferguson's exacting standards and methods. Every single person in every department of the Club knew what they were doing every day and what the ultimate point was.
    Clubs falling apart after the movement of a Czar isn't new. United fell apart after Busby left, Liverpool got worse the more contrived the boot room system became. It's natural.
    I think United fans should remember the words of Ferguson before he left. He's a proper football man, as is David Moyes, and they both know the scale of the task Moyes has undertaken and the time it will take to bear fruit. United can either studiously water their crops over time to create a vast sustainable empire once again that will provide riches for generations or they can dump nuclear waste on their land and grow tomacco.
    For me, the real test of the Glazers as owners starts today. You can talk about money and whatever but to most people it's an irrelevance, United have been ultra successful and the manager has been given what he wanted. So far so good for the Glazers. The test starts right now because we discover whether they are the seasoned and patient businessmen that the Edwards family were or just another kneejerk bunch of twats who are sacking managers on ridiculous timescales.
    I think Moyes has certainly made mistakes, or rather a single mistake. I think he tried to transition too quickly from Ferguson's staff to his own staff in the first team which created unneccesary pressure on himself. This can be forgiven however as I see what he was trying to accomplish. He knew that this would be a difficult period of transition and he wants to snap it as quickly as possible rather than do it piece by piece. Managers often do lack patience in transition, AVB had the same problem at Chelsea. Funnily, Ferguson did the same mistake when he first joined too.
    I see people who have called Moyes unambitious because he has said that United played well when they didn't. This is a man who had a job for life in a stable Premier League team where he was beloved and he decided to pack that in and move to the most famous Club in the world and succeed the best ever manager in the game, to take on a rebuilding job the like of which has never been done in the modern era of football. Unambitious? Do me a favour.
    You see, Manchester United was a club built in Ferguson's own image and everybody took their lead from him. He was an imposing figure yet if you meet him he had this working class charm that made you want to fight for him. David Moyes is a similar figure but doesn't yet covet the same respect and loyalty from everybody at Manchester United. There's no possible way that he could, that anybody could, most of the people at United were directly employed by Ferguson or employed whilst he was the manager. In time, Moyes will have the same respect bestowed on him, that's all that it needs at the minute, just some time for him to get his feet under the table.
    Some fans believe that David Moyes isn't the man for United. I challenge the idea that they even understand what United is as a Club. David Moyes is pretty much the prototypical Manchester United manager, if you had to walk away and design a man who would manage them, it is him. He's fierce, he's tactically well versed, he has a superhuman work ethic, he believes in youth promotion, he plays with wingers, he inspires loyalty and fight from everybody around him. Those who don't see this have never been to Everton away under his tenure there. Moyes managed to turn that place into a lion's den in how ferocious the atmosphere was and how the team played, and make no mistake this developed under him and will wane without him, managers have a major effect on atmospheres as any United fan will tell you (or City fan for that matter), he will do the same to Old Trafford given time.
    So I suppose the problem here is that fans have underestimated the mammoth of a task that Moyes has to accomplish and pundits have over-simplified it. It will take Moyes several years to get United built in his own image and it will be better off for it rather than start some roundabout of managerial changes. And I warn United fans, I'm a fan of a Club that has had probably 30 managers in the past 30 years. Once you start down this path of swapping in and out managers, you can never come back from it.
    One last thing to note. I find it interesting how many people when this was announced said things like "Moyes will need a transition time" but have now decided that he should be gone in January. Transition time is a term used to denote the time it takes to sweep away the mentality of the old regime and bring in your own mentality. Essentially, how long it takes to forget the old manager and buy into the thoughts of the new even if it conflicts with what the old manager would say. For a manager who casts the shadow of Ferguson, this will take 3 or 4 years, not 3 or 4 months. Bobby Charlton, Alex Ferguson and others at United understand this so appointed a manager who can rebuild United and have the wide shoulders it requires to bear the load of expectation from the fans and media. They think they found their right man in David Moyes and all piss taking aside, so do I. I hope that they both fight his corner in the boardroom and I'm sure they will. These people understand United as a Club, understand what makes it successful and understand what makes it special.
    Moyes will be fine if the fans just shut up and let him do his job.
    Now, back to pissing taking.

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1uig2l/question_is_david_moyes_underperforming_as/ceinr8j

A "bit better" would make a massive difference. It's not like United are losing every game by four goals. If a "bit better" meant as little as either one less conceded or one more scored per match, then United would be in a much better position.

By most definitions a bit is not a lot! There needs to be a huge improvement to make 4th place. Liverpool have shown that they can beat teams by several goals, United scoring one more or conceding one less won't be enough to get 4th place.

Liverpool have had 9 PL wins by more than one goal, 3-1 Sunderland, 3-1 Palace, 4-1 West Brom, 4-0 Fulham, 5-1 Norwich, 4-1 West Ham, 5-0 Spurs, 3-1 Cardiff, 2-0 Hull.

United have had 4 PL wins by more than one goal, 4-1 Swansea, 3-1 Fulham, 3-0 Villa, 3-1 West Ham.

Late goals win and lose games so often these days so two goals leads are most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

I'd say Moyes has this song on repeat as he sleeps through the night, full blast on the way to training and out over the intercoms around Old Trafford these days..

When the camera panned to him slouched in his seat talking to himself there last night, he was actually murmuring the lyrics to that song..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Where does the team go after last night? To me the players look like they have no belief anymore. Moyes looks like he's run out of ideas and is just going with the only plan he has.

• Advertisement

By most definitions a bit is not a lot! There needs to be a huge improvement to make 4th place. Liverpool have shown that they can beat teams by several goals, United scoring one more or conceding one less won't be enough to get 4th place.

Liverpool have had 9 PL wins by more than one goal, 3-1 Sunderland, 3-1 Palace, 4-1 West Brom, 4-0 Fulham, 5-1 Norwich, 4-1 West Ham, 5-0 Spurs, 3-1 Cardiff, 2-0 Hull.

United have had 4 PL wins by more than one goal, 4-1 Swansea, 3-1 Fulham, 3-0 Villa, 3-1 West Ham.

Late goals win and lose games so often these days so two goals leads are most important.

If United had scored one more or conceded one less in every league match so far this season, they'd have +14 points and +20 goal difference. Top of the league at a canter.

It's a "little bit" better in terms of performance in each match, but a massive difference in terms of league position, which is my point. I'll take a "little bit" better, gladly.

Interestingly, that level of improvement over the rest of the season would leave United on 80 / 81 points. Definitely top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

KH25 wrote: »
    Where does the team go after last night? To me the players look like they have no belief anymore. Moyes looks like he's run out of ideas and is just going with the only plan he has.

A bloody break I hope and minimal contact from the club.. might give a few players one or two things to think about...

Agueroooo wrote: »
    the most sense I have read about Moyes/Utd and coming from a City fan:eek:

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1uig2l/question_is_david_moyes_underperforming_as/ceinr8j

Fantastic piece. Well thought out points and a realistic view of what is going on and how long it might take for him to get things right.

If United had scored one more or conceded one less in every league match so far this season, they'd have +14 points and +20 goal difference. Top of the league at a canter.

It's a "little bit" better in terms of performance in each match, but a massive difference in terms of league position, which is my point. I'll take a "little bit" better, gladly.

Interestingly, that level of improvement over the rest of the season would leave United on 80 / 81 points. Definitely top 4.

Good point, other than 4-1 to City, they have not lost any game in any competition this season by more than one goal.

All games, all comps, since Charity Shield: 18 wins, 5 draws, 7 defeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Good point, other than 4-1 to City, they have not lost any game in any competition this season by more than one goal.

All games, all comps, since Charity Shield: 18 wins, 5 draws, 7 defeats.

think of the affect the 10 goals less RVP has at this point solely cause he is injured

With Fellaini and RVP out its pretty much the same team from 11/12 season.

I have stressed so many times about importance of bringing in new faces each season. New ideas, new approach(if needed), players getting kick in backside from new players taking their place.

For too long we sat still admired ourselfs in the mirror and thought everything was Hunky Dory.

You would think humiliation in Cl final was a wake up call? "Noooo, we Are fine"

You would think not getting out of a group in CL, a very easy group would set alarm bells? "Not at all"

You would think blowing 8 point lead in April would maybe switch on the lightbulb(Fixed with RVP signing but not all)? "Robbed so we were, robbed".

You would think something aint right totally collapsing in 2nd round of CL tie at HOME losing 1-0 advantage (down to 10 men or not) depending on a 39yo? "Giggs had great game and Welbeck played blinder running around like headless chicken trying win ball back"

For too long we have said "Ah sure we are fine" "we won the league last season" "we got to CL only few season ago" "ah we only lost league on goal difference, so what if we totally blew it we were unlucky"

We tried to hide from the obvious. Once we were getting over the line nobody gave 2 ****s. Everyone just expected a magic wand to appear and everything will be OK.

We are now left with the biggest mess since the 80's, my older folk will say Munich and yet in reality we have nobody to blame but us the fans.

Also, flares aside, the away fans last night were nothing short of unbelievable in their support of Moyes and the team.

Singing "Every single of one us will stand by David Moyes" etc. If you were a manager of a team under pressure, you really couldn't ask for better vocal support. With a toxic atmosphere and his own fans against him, he'd have no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

We have amazing away fans, imagine if Old Trafford was like that for every home game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Moyes shows that he's working towards playing good football I'll have no problem sticking by him for as long as it takes

Problem is we've seen nothing yet really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

xtal191 wrote: »
    We have amazing away fans, imagine if Old Trafford was like that for every home game.

yeah its crazy the difference between the late 90s and late 00s. one you would be looked at for not singing and jumping around and the other you would be looked at for singing and leaving your seat

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement