Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

master-t wrote: »
    Kagawa - Again, another disappointing performace, AND he played the majority of his time in his 'favourite' position.

He was the only player bar Jan linking def to attack and uniteds play completely fell apart as soon as he went off! What game were you watching!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Was Kagawa poor? Strikes me that when he went off, our creativity disappeared. While he was on the field, we looked dangerous. Granted his sub came at the same time Moyes went into lockdown, so maybe the decline in quality wasn't directly related. But struck me he was making runs, creating chances and generally had a good game.

for all there's people who refuse to see the bad in him, so too does it feel like there's many who just refuse to see the good in him too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Headshot wrote: »
    Not sure if serious or not?

I don't think Welbeck is good enough for United, never have. Certainly in time he might develop into a player that is good enough, but that time isn't now. The fact that we have had to rely on so many players that aren't of the required standard is a big part of the problem.

The rest of it being that Moyes has no self-belief in this job and didn't keep around the back room staff that could be helping him and the club through this period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Giruilla wrote: »
    He was the only player bar Jan linking def to attack and uniteds play completely fell apart as soon as he went off! What game were you watching!!!

It wasn't any good before he went off either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Was interesting to see Moyes just run down the tunnel as soon as the match was over. No attempt to apologies to fans, no show of anger at the players.

You do wonder how much longer he has now that our one chance of silverware, and the one redeeming factor this season just went up in smoke.

Ah now c'mon that's bollocks, how many times did you see Fergie just march down the touchline and down the tunnel and not even give an interview after poor losses?

Anyway, in other news, there goes the shine of Mata signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

edgecutter wrote: »
    The only competition that we were capable of winning and could have given Moyes a trophy that he desperately needs, I would say that this cup was worth crying over.

Besides, the football has been dire, we are not putting away teams. Can we expect to get forth with this type of football? I don't think so.

the football was not great but we would and could kill off teams with RVP, Rooney and mata(assuming the talk of fee agreed is true) instead of welbeck, hernandez(still useful but poor) and kagawa who was poor. we do need more quality but i have full faith with the 3 of them playing together we can and will get forth.

anyway i for juan wont be crying over the league cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Fletcher was horrible tonight the amount of times he gave the ball away jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Iago wrote: »
    I don't think Welbeck is good enough for United, never have. Certainly in time he might develop into a player that is good enough, but that time isn't now. The fact that we have had to rely on so many players that aren't of the required standard is a big part of the problem.

The rest of it being that Moyes has no self-belief in this job and didn't keep around the back room staff that could be helping him and the club through this period.

I totally agree with you Iago in all of that. Spot on for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Chelsea accept Manchester United's £37m bid according to BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25849959

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Does anyone actually expect Moyes to change the style with Mata coming in? I for one don't see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Christ the amount of people on soccer forum now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well at least we won the match...pity the penalties were the worst ever.

More importantly, we got a top signing in Mata, so hopefully more to come, not many would have thought we could get Juan Mata, so wanted him last summer when wild rumours said he could be coming as part of a Rooney deal.

Maybe Rooney will change his mind and stay if we fix the broken midfield and suspect defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

:confused: why game were you watching, carrick had a great game linking up with the attack, fletcher got forward when he could, Evans scored.

Kagawa was poor

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

irishfeen wrote: »
    What was that little saying you were banging out all day? :pac:

We're going to sign Mata.

SSN saying now that no official bid has been made

Montroseee wrote: »
    Kagawa poor yet again and in his best position, what will the dreamers say? Will they call a spade a spade at this stage? Who cares anyway as he'll rightly be shipped out in the Summer as it looks like we have just signed Mata - a real world class playmaker.

You're in for a shock if you think things are going to instantly change and Mata will click united into gear with Moyes at the helm.

You're completely wrong about Kagawa and thats me "calling a spade a spade".

:confused: why game were you watching, carrick had a great game linking up with the attack, fletcher got forward when he could, Evans scored.

Kagawa was poor

carrick and fletcher did **** all sunderland outpassed us wake up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

dixiefly wrote: »
    Chelsea accept Manchester United's £37m bid according to BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25849959

Rooney to Chelsea in summer ... part of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

SSN saying now that no official bid has been made

they were about half an hour behind bbc earlier today too though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We're going to sign Mata.
    We'll forgive ya - just about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mirror now claiming the signing of Mata has Rooney happy, and he wants to sign a new contract with United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Poor tonight... Valencia on gfor Kagawa was a turning point, anything half decent we did involved him an adnan, options for later changes were also drastically reduced also... As a Moyes defender I was very disappointed in that.

Play in the second half was particularly poor, hanging on at OT against Sunderland is a bit of a joke.

Still though, an error cost us, the man can't buy a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Rooney to Chelsea in summer ... part of the deal.

Where did you see that? Or are you just talking nonsense?

Nolars wrote: »
    carrick and fletcher did **** all sunderland outpassed us wake up

Did **** all?
    How many shots on target did Sunderland have?
    1, they done their job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Still don't think Mata will sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

That performance was a complete ****in joke. WE ARE MUCK lads no two ways about it. I've been a supporter of moyes since the start but if the team and management continue with this **** he won't last too long. Either will half the players. What a fall from grace!

Why take Kagawa off? He was playing well again and united needed to keep the ball. baffling stuff!

Yet again abject individual performances as well as a coaching team completely out of they're depth.

I hope we can turn it around or at least paper over the cracks with Rooney and RVP back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

You're in for a shock if you think things are going to instantly change and Mata will click united into gear with Moyes at the helm.

You're completely wrong about Kagawa and thats me "calling a spade a spade".

Mata is a world class player and will instantly make a difference. This is an unbelievable signing and should provide a huge boost for players and fans. With Kagawa it's just excuse after excuse, anyway now is a time to rejoice as we've prob just acquired one of the best players in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Kagawa was the player looking to make things happen, set up a few good chances and his movement was very good

How the fcuk can you slate him when Carrick, Fletcher, Welbeck, Buttner, Valencia, and Chico were all worse I don't know at all

Did **** all?
    How many shots on target did Sunderland have?
    1, they done their job

Central midfielders need to take the game by the neck and get on the ball against teams like sunderland and not be defending on the edge of there box. Not a hope fletcher or carrick would get into the Chelsea/city team. no creativity at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Our cm was terrible tonight I feel a bit bad saying that Carrick has carried the cm for awhile and fletchvwas Sick. But it was v bad tonight. To slow to predictable. And never got behind the strikers once. But also welbeck and hernandez link up play was pathetic. Truely Awful stuff. Raf has been poor. Evra Awful. They look like a bunch of overpaid men who have lost desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Still don't think Mata will sign.

That's the spirit!

Future Guy cracked under the pressure but just forget about him, its all on you now! :D

Missed the entire match. Any highlights on tonight or online?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I ate a flapjack while it was on, it was delicious.

Nolars wrote: »
    Central midfielders need to take the game by the neck and get on the ball against teams like sunderland and not be defending on the edge of there box. Not a hope fletcher or carrick would get into the Chelsea/city team. no creativity at all.

That's because they are not creative midfielders, they're defensive midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Dire stuff, absolutely dire. Hernandez was woeful. Janujaz, while being the best player on the pitch by far, was very wasteful. Wellbeck was his usual run around and put in an honest shift while pinching himself that he's wearing the United shirt self. Valencia at least looked like he was semi-interested when he came on which is probably a grasping at straws silver lining in it all.

I've always been in the give Moyes time camp but he really needs to change his mindset or he will come under even more increased pressure which will lead to more negativity. Even though it's "only" the league cup, it's still bloody depressing seeing a full strength team so ineffective.

Juan Mata though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Was Kagawa poor? Strikes me that when he went off, our creativity disappeared. While he was on the field, we looked dangerous. Granted his sub came at the same time Moyes went into lockdown, so maybe the decline in quality wasn't directly related. But struck me he was making runs, creating chances and generally had a good game.

for all there's people who refuse to see the bad in him, so too does it feel like there's many who just refuse to see the good in him too...

Really? So in your opinion Kagawa had a good game? Jesus.

Have our standards dropped so low that we are now calling Kagawa's performance tonight 'good'?

I thought Carrick and Fletch had godd games. Linked Def to Attack, tracked back with their midfield, and broke up the play where possible.

I saw Kagawa over-hit passes, make runs into no-mans land, and offer very little in terms of an attacking threat.

Honestly, the tinted glasses need to come off at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

don't do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I ate a flapjack while it was on, it was delicious.

I didn't even get any of that flapjack and it was still the best part of the match as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Unless kagawa was injured it just made no sense to take him off he was just starting to get into the game

Welbecks and Jones pens in particular were classy. Take the points Lads the goals will come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Kagawa was the player looking to make things happen, set up a few good chances and his movement was very good

How the fcuk can you slate him when Carrick, Fletcher, Welbeck, Buttner, Valencia, and Chico were all worse I don't know at all

Honorable mention for De Gea's crapness too
    (Although he usually is top drawer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Right subbing Kagawa made no difference to our play tonight so dont be blaming Moyes. We were poor with and without him. He did not play well tonight even as a number 10. Valencia coming on wasn't ideal but we had nobody else really and theoretically he should have been good on the break. I thought our defence was decent but there was a few nervy monents. Buttner is not good enough. The Sunderland goal was not deserved.

Carrick and Fletcher are past their best as a midfield pair. Wellbeck is average. Chico should have scored the winner.

Januzaj while still a class above everyone else had a couple of chances to pass where he shot, which could have led to some goals.

Basically we're an average team without Rooney and Van Persie. Fellaini would have been useful in midfield too. What we're really lacking is confidence which can only come with winning games. Tonight's loss was a harsh one as I think we deserved to go through. If luck exists we just don't have any at the moment.

When our best players come back from injury and some new signings come in I think we'll improve immediately. My main worry is that Moyes does not seem to be able to rev up the team when we're playing poorly. Ugly football I can take but it has to at least get results. He looks like a broken man and that's sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

What's the deal with De Gea constantly kicking the ball out from goal kicks? - have we lost the ability to play out from the back, almost every single header from goal kicks were won by Sunderland... no momentum being allowed to be created at all! ..

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

The shoot-out will be in football fcuk up videos on youtube for all eternity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Mata is a world class player and should be the start of a major rebuilding job.If United can get similar class players for LB and CM it is going to put them back in contention imo.Don't expect anything else to be done in January but a LB would be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

My first post on here so go easy on me.

Here are my thoughts. It is an absolute embarrassment that Manchester United tried to hold on against a bottom of the table side at home for 120 minutes. The squad is ravaged with injuries but a lot of players have to take a serious look in the mirror. I often wonder and I think its been mentioned here once or twice that if we put welbeck/valencia/cleverley/jones up for sale who would actually buy? I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Championship.

What concerns me the most is despite the brutally negative tactics there wasn't any noticeable gulf in class between the sides.

Januzaj is a definite positive. He just oozes class. However, I think he still has a lot of maturing to do I can remember two times when, if he laid it off it would have been a certain goal but he went for goal himself. Add to that the yellow card for dissent and the numerous yellow cards for diving this season. But jesus he's only eighteen and it's pitiful to see the amount of responsibility on his young shoulders.

Overall, and this seems ridiculously optimistic of me and maybe slightly naive but I still think moyes is the man AS LONG AS there is a seismic change in the squad during the summer. There are far too many passengers and they need to go. Giggs has gone a season too far, Rio will most likely go stateside, Vidic and Evra will go, I think Valencia and Cleverley will be kept as squad players, I wouldn't mind if Rooney went and we got in Cavani although I would miss Rooney's creativity hopefully we won't need him to bail us out as much.

Mata coming in is good but his impact will be limited with being cup tied in the CL.

For me, this season is a complete and utter write-off. Even with Mata coming in, I think there are too many teams above us playing well consistently to get fourth place. I have gone beyond caring anymore how badly we will play as I hope there will be changes soon.

On a final note, if Moyes can't make changes over the summer and we start off next season with Cleverley and Ryan Giggs in mid-field then this is officially a post-Busby era all over again.

That's because they are not creative midfielders, they're defensive midfielders.

at home in a semi final in a game where we need to create and pass the ball. Good stuff play defensive game. typical Moyes.

:pac:

master-t wrote: »
    Really? So in your opinion Kagawa had a good game? Jesus.

Have our standards dropped so low that we are now calling Kagawa's performance tonight 'good'?

I thought Carrick and Fletch had godd games. Linked Def to Attack, tracked back with their midfield, and broke up the play where possible.

I saw Kagawa over-hit passes, make runs into no-mans land, and offer very little in terms of an attacking threat.

Honestly, the tinted glasses need to come off at some stage.
    Did u not think fletch gave the ball away a lot. And also the speed of link up play v v slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Welbecks and Jones pens in particular were classy. Take the points Lads the goals will come

Yeah, really there's no excuse for missing the target from a penalty, professional footballers and all.
    You'd think Jones would have been very careful after the other penalties that went before him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement