Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Its not only Moyes who is out of his depth.

Think of all the top Assistants Fergie had during his tenure and how important the likes of Carlos was.

Steve Round??? What's he actually done? Assistant at 'Boro during a frankly mediocre spell in their history, assistant at Newcastle during a woeful season, and a couple of years at Everton.....

And the managers he worked under?

Steve McClaren
    Sam Allardyce
    David Moyes

2 massively negative managers and the other one a Grade A Spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

I understand what you're saying but they are professional footballers and it was the semi final of the league cup, not the champions league final. Any player who chickens out of taking a penalty in that situation should be packing their bags.

Hernandez?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Only good thing to come out of that godforsaken match was that I'd a tenner thrown on Evans to score first, 33/1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Hernandez?

He was injured according to moyes.

Hernandez?

wasn't fit at the shootout.....

Cramp or a strain clearly shown on screen receiving treatment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

bantee wrote: »
    Only good thing to come out of that godforsaken match was that I'd a tenner thrown on Evans to score first, 33/1!

Oh f**k off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I wouldn't care if we broke the world record to sign Vidal, he's probably worth a lot more than that to us at the moment

We need to buy a CM, and a left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

wasn't fit at the shootout.....

Cramp or a strain clearly shown on screen receiving treatment....

Even with cramp would have taken a better peno than jones or welbeck

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

hahahahahaahahahah

we are a really really bad team. Get used to it folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I wonder will missing out on a CL spot the straw that broke the camels back. Moyes has done very well to last this long, any other top club would of sacked him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Headshot wrote: »
    I wonder will missing out on a CL spot the straw that broke the camels back. Moyes has done very well to last this long, any other top club would of sacked him

The only reason he's still got a job is cos we're United, he does really need to go though, he has the tactical know how of a fart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have never wanted us to lose but I did tonight.

The thought of City ripping us apart at Wembley would be horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What im really unhappy about is Zaha not getting a run out instead of Valencia he would have been perfect on the counter attack tonight. What's going on with him, has he gone on loan?
    You wouldn't be saying that if you watched him Monday night.He was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Discodog wrote: »
    I have never wanted us to lose but I did tonight.

I never, ever understand this attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

yabadabado wrote: »
    You wouldn't be saying that if you watched him Monday night.He was terrible.

Fair enough he was terrible Monday night but what has happened to his season so far?
    As far as I can see he has been fcuked about. Did well on preseason only to be forgotten about. Hardly good for the lads confidence.

Our money will be no use in the summer with no champions league, spend it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anderson would have scored a pen tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Few lads in Stretford end tonight texted me. Just got chatting about any possible transfer. The talk around seemed to be that another transfer could be on cards and that board are willing to get Moyes another player in if needed.

Few lads at the game on boards might say something tomorrow.
    any names mentioned?a LB or cm would be huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

No news on Rooney or RVP is worrying, hope they're back next week. Wellbeck isn't up to it imo

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    any names mentioned?a LB or cm would be huge.

A few but all speculation. The usual. But the vibe was that there will at least be 1 more signing.

Coentrao is still on by all accounts. If anyone ws at game we might get more tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

not to long ago olympiakos was a dream last 16 tie for us in the champs lge,i can tell you one thing it aint a dream last 16 tie now far from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I never, ever understand this attitude.

I have followed United since childhood & have never wanted the team to lose. I would normally relish playing City in a final but this is different.

I am hoping that Mata is intelligent enough to of got some assurances as to how Moyes plans to get the team playing.

As a poster on Red Cafe put it if Mata was watching tonight's game he will cancel the medical.

bassy wrote: »
    not to long ago olympiakos was a dream last 16 tie for us in the champs lge,i can tell you one thing it aint a dream last 16 tie now far from it.

I said it when draw was made that it would be no pushover.

No team is a pushover at the minute. None

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

I said it when draw was made that it would be no pushover.

No team is a pushover at the minute. None

could be another big nail in moyes coffin,but as I think he will get 2-3 years regardless of not winning nought and he will still be sitting there like a mid table manager next season in ot with no champs lge football.

I honestly think we won,t get 4th,so I hope then we finish above 6th cause who wants to play in the Europa euro Disney.its a shocking European competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Discodog wrote: »
    I have followed United since childhood & have never wanted the team to lose. I would normally relish playing City in a final but this is different.

I am hoping that Mata is intelligent enough to of got some assurances as to how Moyes plans to get the team playing.

As a poster on Red Cafe put it if Mata was watching tonight's game he will cancel the medical.

Really, really don't understand what you want from Moyes here. We've had a bid accepted for one of the best players in the League over the past couple of seasons. I'm not Moyes' biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination but seriously, that post and your previous post are just plain stupid.

You said if Mata was watching tonight then he'd cancel the medical, yet you wanted us to lose?

Follow the club through thick and thin or don't follow them at all. Mata coming in is fantastic news as it means Moyes can finally start building his own team. This season was always going to be tough but it's not over yet. We've lacked a cutting edge which Mata will provide for us now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

After watching him in the u21's the other night, he's a long, long way off the first team.

Like the rest of the squad then..

If he doesn't get 4th he should go, the "United way" only goes so far, football is a results business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Fábio da Silva could move on loan to the Bundesliga club Freiburg from Manchester United until the end of the season.

Discussions are at an advanced stage and David Moyes is content to allow the left-back to leave as the United manager has Alexander Büttner as cover for Patrice Evra in the position.

Moyes's willingness to allow Fábio to depart also underlines that hopes remain regarding a temporary move for Fábio Coentrão, the Real Madrid left-back, despite resistance from the Spanish club.

Guardian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Is Mata the player to solve the problems. As good as he is, its not going to help central midfield problems too much

If we had roo and RVP tonight we would have won comfortably. Needed Rooney badly on that game.
    Can't blame Moyes when we were missing our 2 best players! And our 2 best peno takers! Need to put it into perspective

• Advertisement

Fabio really f'd himself, waited ages to get a chance then bang, got sent off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The game should not have been allowed go to penalties. We were at home to Sunderland and were looking to cling on. Not good enough im afraid

Devil08 wrote: »
    If we had roo and RVP tonight we would have won comfortably. Needed Rooney badly on that game.
    Can't blame Moyes when we were missing our 2 best players! And our 2 best peno takers! Need to put it into perspective

Sunderland did put Chelsea out too. Wigan beating City in the final last year and getting relegated. Anything can happen in the cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Poor Jan was balling walking down the tunnel. However he was awful tonight, very selfish. Kagawa was useless and Hernandez should be banned from touching the ball unless its in the box. Having a last beer in the hotel with some sunderland fans. Can't understand a word but they are good craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It really has shown that Welbeck and Hernandez are not up to it as far as starters are concerned. Welbeck has something like 6 in 6 in terms of goals, which is much better, but neither can take over a game the way we need our front men to. That's what has been needed so badly, someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck. Januzaj can do it, and so can Mata. We need one if not both of Rooney and RVP back as soon as possible.

Bayern Munich's stellar 2012-13 season, in which the German club won the treble and dominated European football, helped boost their revenues by 17% to £396.6m. That growth allowed them to leapfrog United, who earned £363.2m.

Prize money from winning the Champions League, together with matchday income from a sold-out Allianz Arena and a focus on commercial deals, including the renewal of a shirt sponsorship deal with Deutsche Telekom, all helped.

However, United are likely to again overtake the German champions in next year's Money League, as the new £5.5bn Premier League television deals and a series of commercial deals including a $559m (£337m) contract with Chevrolet are factored in for the first time.

The figures underline the importance of Champions League football to maintaining revenues. A continued absence from the top European competition, disproportionately important for English clubs given the greater equality in the division of domestic television money, would also have an impact on United's commercial deals in the long term.

Real Madrid remain the top-earning club in Europe for the ninth consecutive year, despite a trophyless season, posting revenues of £444.7m, ahead of Barcelona with £413.6m.

Annual revenue has become a far more important barometer of a club's likely success with the introduction of Uefa's financial fair play rules, which seek to force clubs to spend only within their means. Critics fear that the rules will in effect lock in the existing order, with only those clubs able to generate large commercial and matchday income able to compete on a regular basis.

Under the rules, clubs must break even within an allowable leeway of €45m over the first two-year evaluation period. That figure then drops to €45m over three years and then €30m over three years on a rolling basis. But it has also raised questions over Uefa's ability to police its own rules, a quandary demonstrated by Paris Saint-Germain's surge into fifth place in the Money League.

Guardian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Can people not realise signing one player cannot solve all our problems in the team? Its really not that hard to understand that a player or two will more than likely be signed for each weakness in our squad by the time Moyes or whoever is done changing it to what they want. We're not signing Mata to be our cutting edge attacking midfielder, our box to box midfielder and our left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If Wayne Rooney is the second best penalty taker then I dont think United would have faired any better in the shoot-out :pac:

Can people not realise signing one player cannot solve all our problems in the team? Its really not that hard to understand that a player or two will more than likely be signed for each weakness in our squad by the time Moyes or whoever is done changing it to what they want. We're not signing Mata to be our cutting edge attacking midfielder, our box to box midfielder and our left back.

Its a fair debate that one.

You're right. But, least we might create few chances now.

I agree it does not solve everything.

Not much mention of carrick. Hopefully not a bad injury, can't afford to lose him aswell or we are in the sh1t big time.

Carrick fletcher

Janu roo mata

RVP

Not too bad lads if Moyes adopts this style going forward. Nani on form can replace janu in that line up too.

• Advertisement

In fairness, thinking about Mata, Rooney and Kagawa behind RVP is making me hear this song

Mata will have a similar effect to the signing of Ozil.

Arsenal didn't need another creative midfielder. But the signing raised standards at the club.

It will do the same. Probably enough to spare the club the ignominy of finishing below Southampton. I genuinely believe 7th/8th is where the club will finish this year. Spurs are nowhere near hitting top form. Liverpool have Suarez. Everton are basically a seriously consistent good side. The top 3 are well out of reach.

With Mata on board it should be enough to stay above Newcastle and Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Let's assume Moyes goes all out in the summer and manages to cover all the bases in terms of new signings CM LB etc, Do people really he has what it takes as a manager to win the league against Jose, Wenger and City's money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think people are going to be surprised by the amount of wobbles that happen at the top. Arsenal have in the past gone into the New Year in a great position and fallen away spectacularly. I genuinely hope it doesn't happen this year as I want them to win it over City and Chelsea but it really wouldn't surprise me to see them fall around March. I think they will be top four though, along with City and Chelsea.

Spurs will do the usual and fail to deliver. When you're relying on Adebayor then you are in a bad way. I am not convinced at all by Sherwood's capacity to take Spurs into the top four.

Everton have done well but I don't think they can maintain their form throughout the season. The squad strength will be tested in a big way and I feel they lack the experience of rival teams to handle the crucial moments.

It will come down imo to a battle with United and Liverpool for fourth. If United can add Mata and get Rooney and Van Persie back fit and healthy then that is very much a battle they can win.

I am extremely excited by the prospect of Mata at United. I think he's a wonderful player and someone who can be a major asset.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Let's assume Moyes goes all out in the summer and manages to cover all the bases in terms of new signings CM LB etc, Do people really he has what it takes as a manager to win the league against Jose, Wenger and City's money?

Personally i think if you swapped Mourinho with this poor United squad with Moyes with Chelsea good squad, the sides would be neck and neck.

Mourinho would have these United players believing they are invincible even if he knows they're average.

With a few notable exceptions such as Casillas, most players to play under Mourinho love playing for him. He makes them feel like they're world beaters.

Mourinhos words carry weight. When he says "do it my way" the players listen because they've seen his way results in success after success.

Moyes words carry no weight. "Do it my way"......the way that brought me the 3rd Division Title with Preston?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Personally i think if you swapped Mourinho with this poor United squad with Moyes with Chelsea good squad, the sides would be neck and neck.

Mourinho would have these United players believing they are invincible even if he knows they're average.

With a few notable exceptions such as Casillas, most players to play under Mourinho love playing for him. He makes them feel like they're world beaters.

Mourinhos words carry weight. When he says "do it my way" the players listen because they've seen his way results in success after success.

Moyes words carry no weight. "Do it my way"......the way that brought me the 3rd Division Title with Preston?

Moyes doesn't have it in him as a manager to make the best use of Chelsea's current squad I reckon. Moyes kept Everton in contention for the lower Euro places simply because their was **** all else competition from 8th place down. The EPL in truth is a poor league, as are most leagues. 4 or 5 top teams, the rest are there to make up the numbers. Man Utd won't anything under Moyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Fletcher and Carrick in the centre tonight and we performed shíte again, just like we have all season. As I've been saying since Cleverley was dropped, nothing has changed. Welbeck will be the scapegoat for a while now. Maybe Hernandez too.

Sooner or later people will realise that even when the line-ups change the performances stay the same. This season there is one driving factor causing all our poor performances and it is not the players.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Fletcher and Carrick in the centre tonight and we performed shíte again, just like we have all season. As I've been saying since Cleverley was dropped, nothing has changed. Welbeck will be the scapegoat for a while now. Maybe Hernandez too.

Sooner or later people will realise that even when the line-ups change the performances stay the same. This season there is one driving factor causing all our poor performances and it is not the players.

+1

It's amazing but out of all the excuses and defences for Moyes the only strong excuse remaining is "sacking managers isn't the Manchester United way".

Well finishing trophyless, out of the champions league and close to mid-table isn't the Utd way either.

I seriously don't get the big deal with sacking him. Everybody can make a mistake. Utd made a big one appointing him. Sack him, come out and hold their hands up saying they got it wrong. Take the time until the summer to get it right.

You don't sign a manager with a view to him being there for 10 years.

You sign a manager with a view to him being successful thereby staying a long time.

It's always success first, longevity to follow.

Wenger wouldn't be still at Arsenal other than the enormous success he brought Arsenal 1997-2005. He earned longevity.

Fergie earned it too.

Tim Sherwood has it spot on. He says it straight up it's about winning football matches pure and simple. Win and you stay in your role. Don't and you're out. Very simple.

• Advertisement

Valencia replacing Kagawa had me speechless I must say.

One of the most awful tactical switches I have seen from any manager at any level.

Had I seen Pat Fenlon at Hibs or Tommy Dunne do that at Cork I have been phished, but at United thats just putting a nail in the coffin for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement