Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Every single player we seemed to be linked with ends up having a story about how Moyes is "unsure" of them, I don't know whether I'm more frustrated at the probable lazy journalism or the fact I could see it being true

Moyes being 'unsure' means he keeps mixing up €40,000,000 with €4,000,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If I were the owners I'd slap a 30-40million pound cheque on table and tell Moyes to buy few players, then come back in June and see how things go from there.

We know we have only about 1% chance of getting a top class player in January, but a decent LB and CM could spark bit of life into this team and make a final push for top 4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Two midfield players please, as one of the main sponsers would say - just do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If I were the owners I'd slap a 30-40million pound cheque on table and tell Moyes to buy few players, then come back in June and see how things go from there.

We know we have only about 1% chance of getting a top class player in January, but a decent LB and CM could spark bit of life into this team and make a final push for top 4.

30 million should get Cabaye and Contrea. If Di Maria was available also it would be a great window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Matic's agent has said he want's a move to England,that's good.City are now interested,that's bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's possible that the Glazer's won't give Moyes cash this window to buy short term options when the big clear out/rebuild will happen in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

zerks wrote: »
    Matic's agent has said he want's a move to England,that's good.City are now interested,that's bad.

frogurt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's possible that the Glazer's won't give Moyes cash this window to buy short term options when the big clear out/rebuild will happen in the summer.

I'd have thought it would make sense to get a head start this month. With the World Cup holding things up, followed by the inevitable rise in prices of any players involved in it, the summer could be a cluster****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm expecting the usual very hard to do business after a WC in the summer tbh.

• Advertisement

Not big fan of Cabaye for reasons already highlighted before by other posters.

Then again we dont have many options.

But if we can afford to be paying Cleverly and Young excess of 150k every week I think we are capable of luring some decent name from somewhere.

Deep down though I sense we wont buy a player. From what I hear nothing is in place as we speak.

Never know and things can change. If I were a bookie I set the price out 5/2 even 3's that United will buy.(first team player)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can anyone describe the type of player Matic is to me? Can you liken him to another player? Never seen him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I think that the Glazers will approve any purchase that Moyes wants. He has been prudent, or dithering, depending on your view, on transfer so far in his career. The Glazers will probably be happy that over the years that he will be very efficient with their money.

A clear out this summer will free up a lot in wages and there is already a cash reserve available for transfers.

Evra, Rio, Vidic, Anderson, Giggs, are all big earners who could be leaving this summer. I think Moyes will want to hold onto Young and Val.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Not big fan of Cabaye for reasons already highlighted before by other posters.

Then again we dont have many options.

But if we can afford to be paying Cleverly and Young excess of 150k every week I think we are capable of luring some decent name from somewhere.

Deep down though I sense we wont buy a player. From what I hear nothing is in place as we speak.

Never know and things can change. If I were a bookie I set the price out 5/2 even 3's that United will buy.(first team player)

omg.gif

Please tell me you're joking!

Soldie wrote: »

Please tell me you're joking!

I stated few pages back about Young being on 120k in relation to Dortmund players combined. Kryo correctly pointed out its actually 90k.

I had quick dabble around to check other sources and Tom Cleverley wages came in around 60-80k. The 2 ones that seemed most reliable said 75k.

90k+60k(we go with lowest figure sprouted)=150k

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can anyone describe the type of player Matic is to me? Can you liken him to another player? Never seen him play.

Well he doesn't play for Manchester United so that is a good start for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im not going to lie I dont watch alot of Benfica but I do watch some matches and Matic has never stood out at me, looks pretty ordinary to me but you could say its unfair to judge a player that you dont watch alot of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Nothing concrete yet and we're well into the month. Sad times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Headshot wrote: »
    Im not going to lie I dont watch alot of Benfica but I do watch some matches and Matic has never stood out at me, looks pretty ordinary to me but you could say its unfair to judge a player that you dont watch alot of

Deep lying playmaker really, he would be a natural successor to Carrick imo actually

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I stated few pages back about Young being on 120k in relation to Dortmund players combined. Kryo correctly pointed out its actually 90k.

I had quick dabble around to check other sources and Tom Cleverley wages came in around 60-80k. The 2 ones that seemed most reliable said 75k.

90k+60k(we go with lowest figure sprouted)=150k

Okay, they're pretty overpaid, but a second I thought you meant each. :D

Headshot wrote: »

Ordinary, well he would be an improvement so.

Lack of any progress in this window has me worried now though.

I was and still am defensive about the first window, from time to practicality of making changes to a team you inherited without working with them. United leaving it to the manager while other clubs that changed managers having other people making decisions on buying players.

Nearly at day 10, plenty of time to have made progress in this window considering he had the last 6 months to think about players he would like to recruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Im dreading watching a Moyes interview on the 1st of Feb after signing no one and he comes out with one of SAF's classic lines,

"No value in the market"

Still thought its only the 9th we wont panic yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Im dreading watching a Moyes interview on the 1st of Feb after signing no one and he comes out with one of SAF's classic lines,

"No value in the market"

Still thought its only the 9th we wont panic yet :)
    Didn't you say that back in September too..? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

One good thing is ( well it's not really good when you see how likes of Clev and Young are playing) the wages we can pay.... Look at the hikes some of the say, Dortmund or Portuguese based players would get if they joined.
    As others have said there are gettable players out there, even solely based on the wages we could offer them..
    I am kinda resigned to missing out on 4th because I don't think all of the teams above us( specifically Liverpool) will slip up..

But based on our current midfield and in the grand scheme of our finances and if (as he has to) Moyes believes 4th is achievable, then f*ck it, go and get 2 midfielders for now..

No more " no value in the market" bs

One good thing is ( well it's not really good when you see how likes of Clev and Young are playing) the wages we can pay.... Look at the hikes some of the say, Dortmund or Portuguese based players would get if they joined.
    As others have said there are gettable players out there, even solely based on the wages we could offer them..
    I am kinda resigned to missing out on 4th because I don't think all of the teams above us( specifically Liverpool) will slip up..

But based on our current midfield and in the grand scheme of our finances and if (as he has to) Moyes believes 4th is achievable, then f*ck it, go and get 2 midfielders for now..

That is the only small hope we have is that we might be able temp a decent player away for good wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Neeson wrote: »
    I'm actually being honest about Donovan. He was a great player for Everton when he came over. Yes McGeady may not be world class but would be a decent addition to the team and I don't get the lack of interest in Cattermole. He's young, wouldn't cost a fortune and yes he is hard with a bit of bite in him. Have you not seen him play?He's no Roy Keane but he has a toughness about him - unlike Cleverly prancing around. I feel he would lose a few teeth if it meant winning a ball.

This is the type of player needed. One with a bit of bite.

Not going to have much bite missing all those teeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Oops double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

So funny you said it twice!

Would not be able to bite back against Suarez so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

10 days down, 21 to go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yes this has been part of the problem and poorly executed by the players and Moyes but its not that they always chase up when we don't have possesion primarily failing us, its that they get dragged out of shape and don't chase up early enough or start hold and then go in MF. When we have the ball they don't alternate enough with one going forward to support the attack. For me Clev is the worst at reading the game about when to hold and not, especially when Rooney is absent because there is more space in the hole for the opposition. There is also a lack of wide defensive wing cover allowing our wing backs to help the CB's more.

Its seems there is an emphasis on Clev to hold his position too much and he is too easily confused. Below he is surrounded by four players and when Sunderland pressed up he is simply overrun, him and Carrick. There is not enough support from the front defensively either. Fletcher is doing what Rooney would in that situation, coming very deep, Clev should be further away from him and in behind that MF three of Sunderland so Carrick can pick a pass, because Clev is surrounded Carrick passes back to defense.

CLEVERLEYTOOHIGH_crop_exact.png?w=650&h=433&q=85

For the second goal Clev made a mistake by giving the ball away, he then rushed towards Johnson instead of staying close to Carrick. Clev then got turned and Johnson was able to drive at our defense, Clev gave chase and gave away the penalty. He should not have rushed in so quickly and stayed with Carrick and let Evra go to Johnson and then engaged him if Evra was beat but chances are Evra would force him to cross. Evra see's Clev has him so holds off, Clev allows Johnson to cut inside which is much more dangerous than a cross.

JOHNSONPENALTY_crop_exact.png?w=650&h=433&q=85

This picture shows how much we missed Rooney due to his dropping into help the pressure on our Midfeild duo. Look at the space Cattermole has, Rooney would normally be all over him and this time Clev and Carrick are holding there position. Holding from the MF duo here is fine if Cattermole is under pressure from Rooney or anybody because he will have to pass and our MF duo have a chance to intercept. Giggs and Welbeck offered nothing to close that space. Giggs doesn't have the legs to do it which is a squad thing and Welbeck is the lone striker.

NOPRESSURE2_crop_exact.png?w=650&h=433&q=85

So there was no pressure on Cattermole and Giggs is not getting back quickly enough and Januzaj has let Borini go, all poor but in a way they are taking their cue or holding their line from where our MF duo hold theirs. Here Clev decides to engage Cattermole too early. Carrick is heading towards Fletcher who is heading towards our goal, this is right. Clev should have stayed with him and both should have dropped so deep that they gave the defense deep cover and would have naturally pulled our wide players back giving Sunderland less space and almost made it man for man.

NOPRESSURE1_crop_exact.png?w=650&h=433&q=85

Its too high to be pressing. Look at Chelsea away to Arsenal here. The MF three has dropped deep to hold a line. Its four defenders on two strikers and the wingers are covered by the Chelseas wide players. 9 Chelseas players holding deep without the ball leaving a lone striker for a counter. Its a different Chelsea system 4-3-3 but even though they have 3 MF's against an Arsenal 3 we missed Rooney dropping deep against Sunderland and he could be snapping at Ozils heels here. The Chelsea team is very organised and the defense and wide players are positioned around and in relation to how far the defense has dropped. With our going to early, getting turned and allowing the opposition between the lines our DF's are forced to break the line rather than hold it and engage the opposition. Its too dangerous.

Chelsea did this at OT too and its not quite parking the bus but they rely on a lot of countering. We don't have the central quality to deploy this as well as Chelsea but we could do with more organisation.

In attack both our MF duo are holding when they should be attacking. Januzaj is in a great position here but his only real options are Giggs and Val. Welbeck is outnumbered as is Januzaj but support from Carrick or Clev allows an option of a one two and Januzaj can push on and work a pass with Welbeck.

At the risk of picking on him its Clev again here. Carrick is the deep lying player in attack and Clev should be supporting. He does do this at times but he picks the wrong time too much.

MUSTCROSS1_crop_exact.png?w=650&h=433&q=85

Instead the ball went to Giggs who crosses but it was easily clear as Welbeck was outnumbered.

Our MF duo seem to not engage quickly and high enough or hold very deep like Chelsea with support. With the ball going sideways so much the emphasis is on width and our wide players are not helping enough. With Evra seemingly only half bothered to track back its leaving us very vunerable especially when Rooney is out.
    Lol no I can't take the credit. Most of the pics were taken from here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1911385-film-focus-analyzing-manchester-uniteds-failures-in-2-1-cup-loss-to-sunderland

Most of the points are a little different in regards Rooney being out but it always helps to have pictures and bleachers do good ones.

The Chelsea organisation is how to do it, at least our MF duo could be holding like Chelseas 3 in that situation with Rooney coming back and our wide players staying behind the MF.

ProF raised a good point about our CMs chasing high and it reminded me of the article and I tired to relate his point to that. They are chasing high'ish, not high enough though, instead its almost in the worse possible area.

Its mainly Clev rushing in at the wrong time but Moyes has either instructed him to do this and not to hold together with Carrick and given Clev the sole chase em down high duty which, if he has, is a huge error on Moyes part because Clev is really bad at it. Its so easy to counter us and get in between the lines atm.

Using still images to analyse defensive shape and attacking movement does not work. A frame either way can dramatically change how things appear and a still image doesn't show the context of how the play built up for the players to end up where they were when the image was captured. Using a still image to say a player should have done this or that is completely pointless.

I should point out that I was not saying that the CMs chasing up the pitch is, by definition, a problem in itself. Rather that it is different to how United played under Fergie. It's not working very well at the moment, that is true, but Moyes had that defensive shape working at Everton before, so it would probably come good in time. This issue that looks so disorganised with United now, central midfielders pushing up and being bypassed by the opposition, was evident in Moyes' time with Everton too. I remember watching them and seeing that exact issue with Fellaini, Gibson, et al. But it was obviously something that Moyes was comfortable with, a part of his plan that the rest of the team covered, and the overall result was Everton being relatively strong defensively. (I have concerns that it may be too physically draining on the team to ever be fully effective against the highest level opposition, but that's a different discussion.)

With regards to the penalty Cleverley gave away to Johnson, no he should not have left it to Evra to go to Johnson. If you watch the video you can see that that wasn't an option. Clev maybe could have left it to Welbeck to close Johnson, but Welbeck wasn't moving like he was going to do that. Evra didn't cover for Cleverley, it was his job to step up and meet Johnson as he was rounding Cleverley but he didn't do it. Cleverley fúcked up by being beaten and then by putting in a rubbish tackle. They were the mistakes of a tired player who was getting no support.

(I removed your last picture because it was making the line spacing in the post go weird.)

Edit: With regards to the poor attacking movement, it is an issue with the entire team, not just Cleverley. Moyes' Everton teams had the exact same issues - these rigid attacks relying on combinations between wingers and fullbacks are a signature of Moyes' style. But, unlike the defensive quirks, it didn't all work out in the end, Moyes' teams were always poor creatively. Now United are too.

This problem might be overcome if we get a top drawer creative CM who is good at carrying the ball forward, maybe. Not just a passer, but somebody who can dribble past players, a Gundogan type rather than a Modric.

• Advertisement

Pro. F v. Your Airbag, seconds out . . .

Picture7_display_image.jpg?1314284191

nice sign!

Pro. F v. Your Airbag, seconds out . . .

Picture7_display_image.jpg?1314284191

Would you ever shut the fúck up. More posts in this thread with people complaining about one conversation or another going on too long for their liking than any topic that is actually discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Getting Ferdinand, Giggs, Young, Evra and Valencia off the payroll would be a massive help towards bringing in new players. This would free up a massive amount of wages that world class players would find hard to turn down.

JRant wrote: »
    We played a lot of pretty awful stuff last season and were bailed out on many occassions by RVP.

The fact that some of our football last season was less than entertaining does not mean that the style is "much the same" like you said. The style is completely different this season.
    JRant wrote: »
    I agree about change in defensive tactics. It seems Moyes wants to play a high pressing game. When we do it properly we look a different team. It does look like the players haven't fully bought into the system though. Some press while others are drop and its leaving us wide open. Fergie had the whole team drop deep when not in possession over the past few seasons and this still seems to be the default for some of the players. They look very confused in defense as a result.

I think you are wrong to say that Fergie had the team defending deep. There were periods of that in games, especially in European games. But all the periods of United dominance in games, which were still common last season, came with high pressing when the ball was lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pro. F wrote: »
    1. Using still images to analyse defensive shape and attacking movement does not work. A frame either way can dramatically change how things appear and a still image doesn't show the context of how the play built up for the players to end up where they were when the image was captured. Using a still image to say a player should have done this or that is completely pointless.

2. I should point out that I was not saying that the CMs chasing up the pitch is, by definition, a problem in itself. Rather that it is different to how United played under Fergie. It's not working very well at the moment, that is true, but Moyes had that defensive shape working at Everton before, so it would probably come good in time. This issue that looks so disorganised with United now, central midfielders pushing up and being bypassed by the opposition, was evident in Moyes' time with Everton too. I remember watching them and seeing that exact issue with Fellaini, Gibson, et al. But it was obviously something that Moyes was comfortable with, a part of his plan that the rest of the team covered, and the overall result was Everton being relatively strong defensively. (I have concerns that it may be too physically draining on the team to ever be fully effective against the highest level opposition, but that's a different discussion.)

3. With regards to the penalty Cleverley gave away to Johnson, no he should not have left it to Evra to go to Johnson
    . If you watch the video you can see that that wasn't an option. Clev maybe could have left it to Welbeck to close Johnson, but Welbeck wasn't moving like he was going to do that. Evra didn't cover for Cleverley, it was his job to step up and meet Johnson as he was rounding Cleverley but he didn't do it. 4. Cleverley fúcked up by being beaten and then by putting in a rubbish tackle. They were the mistakes of a tired player who was getting no support.

(I removed your last picture because it was making the line spacing in the post go weird.)

Edit: With regards to the poor attacking movement, it is an issue with the entire team, not just Cleverley. Moyes' Everton teams had the exact same issues - these rigid attacks relying on combinations between wingers and fullbacks are a signature of Moyes' style. But, unlike the defensive quirks, it didn't all work out in the end, Moyes' teams were always poor creatively. Now United are too.

This problem might be overcome if we get a top drawer creative CM who is good at carrying the ball forward, maybe. Not just a passer, but somebody who can dribble past players, a Gundogan type rather than a Modric.

1. True but its not just these images. You can see the space Cattermole has it that pic. Teams have been countering us very easily lately. Clev commits and gets beat. Our wide players lose the ball and are too committed, teams are getting to our box very quickly. We are to easy to defend and counter, especially through the middle. Our MF duo and wingers need to work together more position wise like in the Chelsea pic. Adnans defensive work is not great either. Evra is commiting too and not working back enough either.

2. Its not a problem if its done well by players who are good at it. Southampton, Barca etc. We don't commit enough players to this. Our wingers seem to contain where as Clev seems to go in and its not his strenght. It only one or two players chasing the ball high. We either need to fully commit to it or hold more.

3. I need to explain this better. Evra needs to contain with his man until it becomes critical and Clev needs to stay in their vicinity but remain closer to Carrick than he is in the pick, he does this by not going in when he loses the ball but holding. This will make it harder for Sunderland, they'll have more players to beat when they get to our box or wing, instead Clev is beaten and some else must step up leaving it last ditch, instead Evra stays with his guy and Clev tries to make it back and get goalside, by that time Johnson is in our box and Evra could not go to him.

4. Cleverly is tired because he is putting in bad tackles and getting beaten a lot, he then has to chase back. He is rushing in getting beaten and rushing back. If he just holds more its better for him.
    We had this discussion with the Sandro clip. I would prefer him to hold a line until the opposition player gets to him rather than go in, unless they are really close in the first place. We see it different. I don't know if Moyes instructs him to go in or its Clevs call, either way its not working for him, he needs to try something else.

If Moyes system worked so well at Everton question is why can't he work it at UTD .

nice sign!

Humour free zone it seems! :pac:

Typewriter-throwing.gif

Ah she wasit really was nice sign;)

Anyway cant wait for tomorrow. Another day, another target, more misery.

1. True but its not just these images. You can see the space Cattermole has it that pic. Teams have been countering us very easily lately. Clev commits and gets beat. Our wide players lose the ball and are too committed, teams are getting to our box very quickly. We are to easy to defend and counter, especially through the middle. Our MF duo and wingers need to work together more position wise like in the Chelsea pic. Adnans defensive work is not great either. Evra is commiting too and not working back enough either.

2. Its not a problem if its done well by players who are good at it. Southampton, Barca etc. We don't commit enough players to this. Our wingers seem to contain where as Clev seems to go in and its not his strenght. It only one or two players chasing the ball high. We either need to fully commit to it or hold more.

A central midfielder committing up the pitch and getting played around by the opposition was a common occurrence with Moyes' teams at Everton. Cleverley is clearly following Moyes' instructions since he is doing the same things that Everton CMs used to do. Even Carrick, who is much better at timing things defensively than Cleverley (and most CMs), gets caught up the pitch at times now. It's part of Moyes' style and even though it looks shít, Moyes has shown it can work when it clicks.

Edit: re Southampton and Barca reference. They use a different defensive style to Moyes'. Theirs is more total pressing (when they choose to do it (which is nearly always with Barca)). Moyes' style isn't total pressing like that. What you describe with the wingers holding back more and the centre pushing up is exactly what I am talking about, and what I'm saying used to happen at Everton. Moyes' teams try to funnel the opposition down the flanks and then filter back to block them out. You might not think that that would work, and it can look a bit hairy, but Moyes usually had a good defensive record at Everton. /edit
    3. I need to explain this better. Evra needs to contain with his man until it becomes critical and Clev needs to stay in their vicinity but remain closer to Carrick than he is in the pick, he does this by not going in when he loses the ball but holding. This will make it harder for Sunderland, they'll have more players to beat when they get to our box or wing, instead Clev is beaten and some else must step up leaving it last ditch, instead Evra stays with his guy and Clev tries to make it back and get goalside, by that time Johnson is in our box and Evra could not go to him.

You said that Clev should have left it to Evra to go to Johnson. That was incorrect. It's understandable that you might see it that way from looking at the still image, but when you look at the video it is clear that that was not an option. It was also not an option for Clev to hold his position when Johnson got the ball. Somebody had to go to the man with the ball, you can't leave the man with the ball unmarked in your own half. Since Welbeck wasn't doing it, Cleverley had to.

Evra fúcked up by not stepping in to make a tackle after Cleverley was rounded by Johnson. The ball came down the left side of Cleverley so it was Evra's job to cover, he chose not to do it.

Cleverley was rounded too easily and he did throw in a poor tackle. But these are understandable mistakes from a tired player who is getting no support from the defender behind him.
    4. Cleverly is tired because he is putting in bad tackles and getting beaten a lot, he then has to chase back. He is rushing in getting beaten and rushing back. If he just holds more its better for him.
    We had this discussion with the Sandro clip. I would prefer him to hold a line until the opposition player gets to him rather than go in, unless they are really close in the first place. We see it different. I don't know if Moyes instructs him to go in or its Clevs call, either way its not working for him, he needs to try something else.

The whole team are playing tired this season, it's a side effect of Moyes' style. Everton used to often be out on their feet by the end of games, just like United are now. And not just Cleverley, but the whole team. You can't deny that. Add that to the fact that Cleverley played so many games over Christmas and it's no surprise that he was knackered.

You say that it could be Moyes' instructions that has Cleverley chasing up the pitch and getting beaten, therefore you should understand that it might not be possible for Cleverley to change his defensive positioning without disobeying Moyes' instructions.
    If Moyes system worked so well at Everton question is why can't he work it at UTD .

Purely talking about the defensive side of things here, I would say that the team needs time to gel. Also Evra needs to be replaced. All the pressure on United to score goals and win games isn't going to help with that process either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

To think I had to have actual arguments with people during the summer about the fact that Baines is better than Evra. Crikey Moses.

Anyway, what are ye all still doing up? I'm constructing profit & loss and cash flow projections for a grant application and losing the will to live.

Typewriter-throwing.gif

You were a bit hard done by there I think.

In general I do find people moaning about the discussions between Pro. F and Your Airbag baffling since they're the most on topic (i.e. actually about soccer) posts in these threads. Sometimes wonder if a lot of males use soccer as a soap opera for dudes, because the intricacies of the game don't seem to inspire any enjoyment at all for a lot of people, whereas the rivalries, the sniping, slagging and media storylines seem to get all the love.

Note - I'm not saying I think this applies to you, I don't think you were moaning!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

keane2097 wrote: »
    To think I had to have actual arguments with people during the summer about the fact that Baines is better than Evra. Crikey Moses.

Anyway, what are ye all still doing up? I'm constructing profit & loss and cash flow projections for a grant application and losing the will to live.

Looking at Amazon and heart rate monitors, this may be due to the transfer season and the season in general :pac:

RobertKK wrote: »
    Looking at Amazon and heart rate monitors, this may be due to the transfer season and the season in general :pac:

I built a pretty swish heart monitor for my FYP in college back in the day. Did all sorts, I believe we claimed it could predict heart attacks.

There was one part actually where I had to put together an amplifier circuit because the ECG signal is pretty small so you need to boost it up. For safety then, since you'd be connecting the circuit to a power supply on one end and a human on the other I was meant to build in electronic isolation using these components I'd never come across before. Went onto some electronics forum to ask how to make sure I had it set up correctly to avoid electrocuting someone. Some guy suggested I hook it up to a cat to test it, I **** you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I built a pretty swish heart monitor for my FYP in college back in the day. Did all sorts, I believe we claimed it could predict heart attacks.

There was one part actually where I had to put together an amplifier circuit because the ECG signal is pretty small so you need to boost it up. For safety then, since you'd be connecting the circuit to a power supply on one end and a human on the other I was meant to build in electronic isolation using these components I'd never come across before. Went onto some electronics forum to ask how to make sure I had it set up correctly to avoid electrocuting someone. Some guy suggested I hook it up to a cat to test it, I **** you not.

lol, give it to David Moyes and he can use it as a threat to the players to perform better.
    If it went wrong no cat would be harmed....and United would potentially save a lot of money :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

There was also people in the Summer who scoffed at the idea Coleman was in Rafael's class as a right back!

• Advertisement

Not this cat! :pac:

RobertKK wrote: »
    lol, give it to David Moyes and he can use it as a threat to the players to perform better.
    If it went wrong no cat would be harmed....and United would potentially save a lot of money :P

lol, found it, confirmed weird dude!

288119.png
    Blatter wrote: »
    There was also people in the Summer who scoffed at the idea Coleman was in Rafael's class as a right back!

I know, I was very surprised at that as well. I remember specific people who did that which is unusual for me - I've noticed they're still at it a bit but quietening down noticeably as the weeks tick by.

Ties into the soap opera idea in a way actually - I suspect a lot of people watch far, far less soccer than they let on outside their own team, i.e. watching Everton play would be like a Home & Away fan watching Neighbours, I will if I have to but I don't like soaps that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Movie night with the missus (who has been asleep since about 10)

The Wolf of Wall Street - really liked
    Captain Philips - meh
    Eddie Murphy Raw getting a blast now while I wind down - Love it

The Pro F and Airbag discussions are perfectly fine. Enjoy them.

Just think they drag it out little but i always read what they have to say.

Right i really have to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

lol, found it, confirmed weird dude!

288119.png

The minute I saw his username it reminded me of Ibrahimovic. And then I thought it's actually something I wouldn't be surprised to hear Ibrahimovic say!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement