Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

What would you guys say if Dortmund offered Nuri Sahin for kagawa as a straight swab no money involved, he was as highly considered as gundogen is now which is why Real bought him, but his transfer to real and his stint at liverpool where he was constantly played out of postion have kind of made him go backwards. He is still young though and still a very good player, its kind of ironic that the reason he failed at liverpool is because he was played in a position that kagawa does and kagawa is failing at united because hes not being played in that position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What would you guys say if Dortmund offered Nuri Sahin for kagawa as a straight swab no money involved, he was as highly considered as gundogen is now which is why Real bought him, but his transfer to real and his stint at liverpool where he was constantly played out of postion have kind of made him go backwards. He is still young though and still a very good player, its kind of ironic that the reason he failed at liverpool is because he was played in a position that kagawa does and kagawa is failing at united because hes not being played in that position

Yes, definitely. Huge fan of Sahin, was absolutely gutted when he went to Liverpool, even if it was only a loan. Take him at United in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He's only on loan and Gundogan is far better all rounder, he can attack and defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

viper006 wrote: »
    wow can i ask what you mean by spending big. Moyes has taken over a title winning team as has been given to spend the bones of 65m plus huge wages on just 2 players . All without selling anyone..Moyes spending incredible cash already!!!!

At a guess I'll say 20 - 40 million sterling each on at least 3 players.

LB is a given it seems, CM also, a winger on top of that would be nice!

It could well the the biggest summer of spending in United history.

According to transferleague £63,000,000 in SAF's last season was the biggest spend in a season.

Wouldn't be surprised if Moyes spent £80,000,000 in summer alone.

It's the money these days; City have averaged £100,000,000 a season for the last 6 seasons. Madrid spent £80,000,000 each on Ronnie and Bale. Arsenal £40,000,000 on Ozil.

Mata over £35,000,000 possibly.

That big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Gundogan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

I think it'll be a bit like RVP for me. Didn't believe he was a United player till he scored THAT free kick against City.

But it might be more crazy with Mata. I never even considered the possiblity I'd ever see him in a United shirt. And I still want to hold out hope until I see one of the clubs confirm something. But I just.....it's just bizarre in the most magnificent way.

If you told a United fan 18 months ago that RVP and Mata (hopefully!!) would be signed by end of Jan 2014 you'd have been laughed at. Signing Arsenal's player of the season, and now Chelsea's player of the season.

Hard to believe really, it's as big if not bigger than RVP's signing. He announced he wanted to leave Arsenal which always left a chance. Most people thought Chelsea would never sell Mata to United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think the Mata deal is bigger in that he's so much younger and isn't leaving cause his contract is running out.

Mata could be at United for another 6-8 years if he joins us...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Sahin has failed to live up to his potential imo, could be do with him being pinged around a number of clubs & never settling or developing his game. I dont think he would be a good signing for United. We need proven world class talent in centre mid & not journey men

The telegraph say Carrick out for 4 weeks. Utd now interested in guarin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Sun saying Chico wants out.

No real surprise if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

If you offered me Fellaini and Mata in August as our two main signings this season I would have snapped your hand off.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

At a guess I'll say 20 - 40 million sterling each on at least 3 players.

LB is a given it seems, CM also, a winger on top of that would be nice!

It could well the the biggest summer of spending in United history.

According to transferleague £63,000,000 in SAF's last season was the biggest spend in a season.

Wouldn't be surprised if Moyes spent £80,000,000 in summer alone.

It's the money these days; City have averaged £100,000,000 a season for the last 6 seasons. Madrid spent £80,000,000 each on Ronnie and Bale. Arsenal £40,000,000 on Ozil.

Mata over £35,000,000 possibly.

That big!

The other thing is that there could be money raised by offloading players like Büttner, Valencia, Young, Nani, Cleverley and Hernández. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see any of them leave, nor would I mourn their loss. With Evra and Ferdinand most likely not getting new contracts there'll be two less highly-paid players on the books. Vidić could well end up with a lower salary if he signs a new contract. All in all there should be plenty of money for us to get our shít together.

BesrUwLCMAADvZS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

While we talk about flashing cash we need a cb too.......least we forget

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

No surprise at all. I know he has a cult following among Utd fans and I like the fella too, but is he really good enough as anything more than an option off the bench? He certainly knows where the goal is, but as we saw against Sunderland last night he has the touch of a rapist and isn't good enough in build-up play. With the way tactics have evolved I think the striker needs to be more than just an out-and-out goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

racso1975 wrote: »
    While we talk about flashing cash we need a cb too.......least we forget

Not as much as we need CMs and a left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Soldie wrote: »
    No surprise at all. I know he has a cult following among Utd fans and I like the fella too, but is he really good enough as anything more than an option off the bench? He certainly knows where the goal is, but as we saw against Sunderland last night he has the touch of a rapist and isn't good enough in build-up play. With the way tactics have evolved I think the striker needs to be more than just an out-and-out goalscorer.

I have always thought this but did you see the ball he played out wide to Smalling at the end of normal time?

Mata or Rooney would be proud of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

adox wrote: »
    Not as much as we need CMs and a left back.
    Seriously. We need a left back badly. With Mata, a CM is second to that now. Would love a CB too but would be happy if we got a LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Has Baines signed a new contract yet ?If not will United will go back in for him in the summer ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think we need to cash in on Chico, after the World Cup, we should get a fair bit as I don't think many realise his inefficiencies as a lone striker.

I think we could use him as bait for someone at Dortmund, they'll need someone when Lewandowski leaves,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

Soldie wrote: »

he,s way better than bambi on ice aka wellbeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

BesrUwLCMAADvZS.jpg

One of them will always be out through injury or suspension or resting.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    One of them will always be out through injury or suspension or resting.

la la la la la not listening la la la la la:p

Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph 17m

Mata now all set for move to #mufc. Only hold-up is at Chelsea end, with agreement yet to be signed off. They have their foot on the ball..

Jaysus imagine if Chelsea pulled the plug at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I don't like this anymore

• Advertisement

Stop worrying. You will hear things like PSG or Monaco coming in for late bids trying to scare the pants of ye.

Relax!!

Mata does create some amount of chances. I'm not big into stats. but impressed with that.

Phil Neville has followed Mata on Twitter lads..........relax, it's grand :D

Sure they prob fecked off home to bed and never got paperwork finished. I'd imagine they will be up early . I'd get up early for a lot less than 37 m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Sahin has failed to live up to his potential imo, could be do with him being pinged around a number of clubs & never settling or developing his game. I dont think he would be a good signing for United. We need proven world class talent in centre mid & not journey men
    I think you are seriously under rating Sahin, he would walk into the United cm. He had one loan spell at Feyenoord then played regularly for Dortmund for years as there best player. One stupid move to Madrid and then another 6 months at madrid is hardly pinging around. Altogether hes spent 3 seasons away from Dortmund since 2005

• Advertisement

master-t wrote: »
    Phil Neville has followed Mata on Twitter lads..........relax, it's grand :D

And I suppose Rooney has too :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Seriously. We need a left back badly. With Mata, a CM is second to that now.

No it isn't. Everything is secondary to sorting out that travesty of a midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

God lads im nervous about this the pessimist in me is just waiting for it to collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mata as a Chelsea player did say he wished Chelsea were more like Man United, in terms of coming back from a goal down to win....yes he said that before this season, he is coming to fix us now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think we need to cash in on Chico, after the World Cup, we should get a fair bit as I don't think many realise his inefficiencies as a lone striker.

I think we could use him as bait for someone at Dortmund, they'll need someone when Lewandowski leaves,

In fairness he has been feeding on scraps all season and lacking game time. He would score some goals with Mata's delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hey there Little Pea, flying through the sky so fancy free...

*sobs*

Remember in the summer when we apparently pissed off Chelsea by claiming they offered us Mata, Luiz and £10 million for Rooney? Maybe they'll pull this deal to get back at us. That would be the most elaborate "Fúck you" in transfer history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

He does have a point - in a perfect/fair system, transfer windows would take place in a downtime in the league. Summer window should end before the season stats (as the FA looked in to) and the winter window should take place in a winter break.

Not just to keep it so all teams play against the same squads (injuries permitting), but to also stop players being unsettled when their are games to be played.

Is he not being a bit hypocritical about the windows closing before the start of the season, he is the one after all, that went out and bought all around him after they lost 8-2 to utd :D

Apparently Mata has been and left Carrington tonight, deal expected to be concluded in the morning according to The Peoples Person via Daily Mail. Chelsea wanted to finalise the Salah deal before the Mata deal got the sign off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Carrick out for 3 weeks with sprained ankle, fcuk it anyway

Fellaini is due back next week I think, hopefully back to his best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

What is the ETA on Rooney and RVP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

It might take Mata a few weeks to get up to speed given he's not exactly been used much by Chelsea.

Ditto Rooney, Fellaini and RVP when they all come back.

The first fruits of this might not appear til March time when everyone is fit and back in the swing of things.

It might even be next season before it really starts to click.

I don't want to keep bashing Moyes as he seems a decent man and doing his best, but i'd strongly suggest he needs a radical re-think on a) transfer policy b) tactics and c) backroom staff. (Steve Round is not up to it, full stop).

The key is tactics. If he tries to flog 4-4-2 with 2 wingers to death then the Mata signing will have minimal impact. It's gotta be 3 of these 4 behind RVP (rooney, mata, kagawa, adnan) at home to weak opposition. Against stronger opposition 2 of those 4 behind RVP and 2 workhorse midfielders (whether it's Carrick, Fletcher, Jones or Fellaini). It's that simple.

Valencia and Young simply can't be on the teamsheet otherwise this will get messy and end in a P45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It might take Mata a few weeks to get up to speed given he's not exactly been used much by Chelsea.

Ditto Rooney, Fellaini and RVP when they all come back.

The first fruits of this might not appear til March time when everyone is fit and back in the swing of things.

It might even be next season before it really starts to click.

I don't want to keep bashing Moyes as he seems a decent man and doing his best, but i'd strongly suggest he needs a radical re-think on a) transfer policy b) tactics and c) backroom staff. (Steve Round is not up to it, full stop).

The key is tactics. If he tries to flog 4-4-2 with 2 wingers to death then the Mata signing will have minimal impact. It's gotta be 3 of these 4 behind RVP (rooney, mata, kagawa, adnan) at home to weak opposition. Against stronger opposition 2 of those 4 behind RVP and 2 workhorse midfielders (whether it's Carrick, Fletcher, Jones or Fellaini). It's that simple.

Valencia and Young simply can't be on the teamsheet otherwise this will get messy and end in a P45.

If we get Mata and Gungodan this month it will give us an idea on what Moyes want's to do. If he continues with these limited tactics with better players i will want him gone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I miss: mink_man.

ESPN had a story both were fit enough for the Sunderland game but Moyes didn't want to risk them with the two league games next week.

Also says that RVP "is thought to be cautious about making a return in case he suffers another setback".

Been a lot of injuries this season. It was interesting when Fellaini mentioned how much more intense the training was at Man. Utd. than it was at Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Rooney is 50/50 for Cardiff. RVP probably ready for Stoke game after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

As a youngster in Spain the 23-year-old winger idolised Giggs. He hopes to secure his first trophy at Old ­Trafford today by walking off with Giggs’s prized United jersey.

Mata has made a huge impact at Chelsea, scoring twice in two games since completing a £26million move from Valencia.

And he would love to follow in the footsteps of Giggs who is still going strong at 37.

“Growing up, Ryan Giggs inspired me,” Mata explained. “Not just me but a generation of players who were coming through at the time.

“Maybe because I played in the same position, I paid more attention to him.

“He was one of the best players in the world and it’s amazing he is still going strong now.

“And his goal against Benfica in the Champions League last Wednesday demonstrated once more why he is one of the best wingers the game has ever seen.

“There was so much to admire about his game. He had it all – incredible pace, great skill, style and an eye for goal.

“When you look at the success he has had in the game it’s phenomenal. I would settle for a fraction of that.

“So after the game today, I will ask if I can have his shirt.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-United-winger-Ryan-Giggs-the-idol-for-Chelsea-signing-Juan-Mata-article800705.html

This was from 2011 when Mata joined Chelsea.

Javier Hernandez reportedly wants to quit Manchester United.

The Mexican striker is understood to be frustrated with his lack of first-team action at Old Trafford - and fears it could scupper his World Cup chances.

According to The Sun, he is now hoping Juan Mata's club record £37million move from Chelsea, expected to be completed today, will pave the way for him to quit Manchester this month.

Nnicknamed Chicharito, which means Little Pea, Hernandez, 25, still has two-and-a-half years left on his current deal.

Inter Milan are interested in the player but United are thought to want at least £15 million.

Mirror

He deserves a starting place in a top team. Would be sad to see him leave though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

With Rooney and RVPs injury trouble might be time to get Powell back from Wigan if Carrick is also out. Fellaini and Powell in midfield with Fletcher behind them. Angel Adnan w/Mata and whichever of Rooney or RVP are fit in attack.

At least it would be a positive set up that can use wing play but a more dangerous fluid attack that could do damage centrally. With Fellaini in the team it might actually be worth crossing the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

God even Owen started teasing United fans.

michael owen ‏@themichaelowen 5m
    So, Juan Mata is on the verge of a move to United. A little dickie bird tells me there is more good news for United fans coming soon! #tease

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement