Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    God even Owen started teasing United fans.

michael owen ‏@themichaelowen 5m

New contract for Rooney would be great business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Adnan Januzaj – a man for all countries
    “I remember him being not as tall and strong as his teammates, but his technique, his game reading and his left foot were so good that he was the best player we had,” Ferreira says. “If I have to define him as a young footballer in a few words: natural class, talent and love of the game. Even with all those skills, nobody thought that he would progress so quickly. Am I surprised that he plays for Manchester United’s first team? Not at all. But so early?! That’s just amazing! His game has taken on another dimension after a few years in England.”

Ferreira, who later became the youngest ever coach of a Belgian first division team when he took charge of Charleroi at the age of 31, gives further insight into Januzaj’s application and professionalism from an early age. “Adnan was a young boy who really loved the game. He was always disappointed when the training session was over or when I gave the players a day off. To give you an example, in 2008-2009 (U15, but he was one year younger) we played our league games on a Saturday afternoon. The Sunday was a day off but I planned a training session for the players who had not been selected and for the ones who didn’t play much. Adnan played every single game from the first until the last minute, but he came to every Sunday session

http://www.belgofoot.be/adnan-januzaj-a-man-for-all-countries/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Back in early October:
    enda1 wrote:
    Christmas: Rooney to Chelsea, Juan Mata to United and Lewandowski to United to team-up with Kagawa again.
    Ye read it here first folks!

Seems Mata was right, Rooney could be proven to be almost right (probably Summer at this stage) and Lewandowski still possible though unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

enda1 wrote: »
    Lewandowski still possible though unlikely.

Eh, no, Lewandowski is not possible. Signed up with Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Mirror

He deserves a starting place in a top team. Would be sad to see him leave though.

As much as I like Chico I don't think his overall all game is good enough to be the main striker at a top club. Would like him to stay but if he goes I hope United get top price for him, sick of United overpaying for players but constantly lets them leave on the cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Eh, no, Lewandowski is not possible. Signed up with Bayern.

Pre-contract agreement...
    That's why I'm saying unlikey

Like other players at United this season, Chico has been rubbish.

I have defended his control and link up play on here - it has improved a lot since he joined - but in his last few appearances it has been his rubbish worst. Maybe it is confidence issues and rustiness, but whatever the reason, he has been rubbish, and hasn't done anything to suggest he should be keeping Rooney and RVP out of the side when they return to fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I don't want to keep bashing Moyes as he seems a decent man and doing his best, but i'd strongly suggest he needs a radical re-think on a) transfer policy b) tactics and c) backroom staff. (Steve Round is not up to it, full stop).

a) His only 2 signings have been an actual midfielder and Juan focking Mata...what kind of transfer policy rethink are you thinking?

c) What is it exactly that Steve Round does that you think that he is not up to it? Been to many training sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Like other players at United this season, Chico has been rubbish.

I have defended his control and link up play on here - it has improved a lot since he joined - but in his last few appearances it has been his rubbish worst. Maybe it is confidence issues and rustiness, but whatever the reason, he has been rubbish, and hasn't done anything to suggest he should be keeping Rooney and RVP out of the side when they return to fitness.

I think Chico has suffered from trying to be even more involved around the pitch under Moyes, most likely by instruction and his natural game in and around the 6 yard box has suffered. That ball he played for Smalling last weekend...when would you ever see him do that before? He's also been in crossing positions alot more the last few times I've seen him.

Chicos role should be to come on with 20 minutes to go when we need a goal and do some old fashioned goal-hanging, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

For god sake please just announce that Mata has def signed so i can sleep in peace !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Must be more signings on the way.......

Mike Keegan‏@mikekeeganmen
    School of thought at #mufc that the next three months in the PL could provide the perfect training ground for new overseas faces to adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Must be more signings on the way.......

Mike Keegan‏@mikekeeganmen
    School of thought at #mufc that the next three months in the PL could provide the perfect training ground for new overseas faces to adjust.

that sounds more like him saying it would be a good idea rather than someone else is coming in. hopefully there are but cant get my hopes up beyond mata at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

For god sake please just announce that Mata has def signed so i can sleep in peace !

Aye, I'm trying not to get excited but I can't help it, if it falls through I will likely shyt myself with rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Delboy5

magnumbud wrote: »
    that sounds more like him saying it would be a good idea rather than someone else is coming in. hopefully there are but cant get my hopes up beyond mata at the moment

Maybe but along with Owens tweet earlier, im beginning to believe there'll be more...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Maybe but along with Owens tweet earlier, im beginning to believe there'll be more...

not sure owen would have much insight into the deals at united anymore. my only guess would be rooney maybe signing a new deal as him and rooney are meant to be good buddies and maybe he said something to him but then i could just be picking it up all wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

I would be sick to see Hernandez go, absolutely sick. Jaysus a bit of bad form and he's written off by some fans!

This chap is a natural finisher, gives everything on the pitch, very disciplined and wears his heart on his sleeve. He's a completely different striker to Rooney, RVP & Welbeck and is the ultimate impact sub.

He's only 25, his best days are yet to come.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Im hearing the other piece of good news that everyone is alluding to is Rooney putting pen to paper on a new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    I would be sick to see Hernandez go, absolutely sick. Jaysus a bit of bad form and he's written off by some fans!

This chap is a natural finisher, gives everything on the pitch, very disciplined and wears his heart on his sleeve. He's a completely different striker to Rooney, RVP & Welbeck and is the ultimate impact sub.

He's only 25, his best days are yet to come.

I like Hernandez but I'd rather see Welbeck start ahead of him. He doesn't offer anything on the pitch in terms of link up play and has the worst first touch out of all our strikers.

If he wants 1st team football let him go, should get a nice fee too.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Im hearing the other piece of good news that everyone is alluding to is Rooney putting pen to paper on a new contract.

Well his agent was at carrington or Old trafford yesterday so maybe he is.
    The Mata transfer surely had an influence on his decision if true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Maybe Rooney told United that if they sign Mata then he'd sign a new contract.... ?? Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rooney signing a new contract would probably be as exciting as Mata signing tbh.

Now for that elusive midfielder and manager!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hernandez is so overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

If Rooney signs a new contract I may cry... Hold Me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Well his agent was at carrington or Old trafford yesterday so maybe he is.
    The Mata transfer surely had an influence on his decision if true.

All I know is neither has signed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The whole of the Twitter-sphere and the media are now speaking as though the Mata move is official, and almost as though it were old news. There will be an absolute implosion among United fans if, for some reason, it doesn't materialise.

Lots of tweets going around now claiming that Rooney has signed a new contract. If true, I wonder will both be announced at the same time.

Well actually, you dont know that. Either could have signed but it just hasnt been announced yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

captain-obvious-logo-w-capt-copy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I bet you I'll be inside the dentist's surgery at 12 and the radio will be on. Then mata will be confirmed and I'll probably jump from the dentists chair and lose a tooth :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm off to the gym in an hour or so and won't be leaving until he is signed
    Might be a long day in the jacuzzi

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »

There is talk of it - but there is also a lot of talk that United are trying very hard to bring a left back and a central midfielder in before the end of the window.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm off to the gym in an hour or so and won't be leaving until he is signed
    Might be a long day in the jacuzzi

Phew, though I read that wrong for a second!

adox wrote: »
    captain-obvious-logo-w-capt-copy.jpg

Haha not according to newballsplease.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bit surprised to see people so negative about Hernandez. Personally felt that when we were after a goal the other night, he was dangerous and getting chances, making the right runs as opposed to Welbeck the game before who seemed to run away from the proper positions. I feel he's someone who is starved of chances that are needed for a poacher of his ability. I also feel that when it went 1-1 and we needed the goal, it was Hernandez who put it into the back of the net. And I personally feel his link up play has improved a lot this season, where you often see him dropping back and getting a few nice passes in here and there.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I do feel he's hampered by the negativity of Moyes. When we went 1-0 up against Sunderland, the entire team retreated into our own box, and few strikers are ever going to get much once that happens. Personally think that if he had Januzaj and Mata behind him, and had the shackles of the negativity removed, he'd have scored more. Would happily have him starting ahead of Welbeck up front right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Atletico will probably struggle to keep hold of Costa in the summer. Depending if we get the likes of Vidal or Gundogan, then Hernandez could be a decent bargaining chip towards Koke in the summer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    God even Owen started teasing United fans.

michael owen ‏@themichaelowen 5m
    So, Juan Mata is on the verge of a move to United. A little dickie bird tells me there is more good news for United fans coming soon! #tease

He's packing in the commentary?! Please let that be it!

• Advertisement

Surely that helicopter has run out of fuel by now.

Bit surprised to see people so negative about Hernandez. Personally felt that when we were after a goal the other night, he was dangerous and getting chances, making the right runs as opposed to Welbeck the game before who seemed to run away from the proper positions. I feel he's someone who is starved of chances that are needed for a poacher of his ability. I also feel that when it went 1-1 and we needed the goal, it was Hernandez who put it into the back of the net. And I personally feel his link up play has improved a lot this season, where you often see him dropping back and getting a few nice passes in here and there.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I do feel he's hampered by the negativity of Moyes. When we went 1-0 up against Sunderland, the entire team retreated into our own box, and few strikers are ever going to get much once that happens. Personally think that if he had Januzaj and Mata behind him, and had the shackles of the negativity removed, he'd have scored more. Would happily have him starting ahead of Welbeck up front right now.

Hernandez is a predator who will score goals with quality delivery into the box. He has been fed scraps all season and dropping deeper than he should be due to lack of service. With Mata, Janjuaz and Rooney in behind him he would be back to his best staying in the box and doing what he does best. He has no doubt suffered this season with the negative football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Chevrolet tweeted this before deleting it

2e5iq1d.jpg

Ooops

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Surely that helicopter has run out of fuel by now.

After the penalty shootout, it was thought for safety reasons it should be delayed until today :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Chevrolet tweeted this before deleting it

2e5iq1d.jpg

Ooops

It's not even photoshopped.

They deleted it and posted this.

Chevrolet FC ‏@ChevroletFC 10h
    Our apologies! Got a little eager at the possible new #MUFC member. Let’s stay tuned for official news #TooExcited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Well at least united finally signed Rooney

"striker" Juan Mata?

Phhfff !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Mightened be the most popular thing to say here but I hope new signings are on the way because I'm losing interest in this current Utd squad. There's very few players I'd pay to watch. Not the Man Utd way. I went to bed before extra time started v Sunderland. Never used to do that.

There's talk now that, despite reports to the contrary yesterday, Mata never left London and his medical has not taken place. Apparently it could be up to 48 hours until there is any news.

The Chevrolet tweet has me believing that this will happen, although with Chelsea acting the maggot you never know. I keep breaking my promise to myself not to pay any attention to transfers until I see the player in a United shirt. :/

Mightened be the most popular thing to say here but I hope new signings are on the way because I'm losing interest in this current Utd squad. There's very few players I'd pay to watch. Not the Man Utd way. I went to bed before extra time started v Sunderland. Never used to do that.

Indeed - very little excitement in the United squad. Januzaj, Rooney and RVP are it really.

Anybody else think Moyes is trolling so the board will pump money into the team. Lads in fairness how long has it been to see us moving for players like Mata should happen, and Gundogan which is possible. It really is exciting to sign young quality players.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

"striker" Juan Mata?

Phhfff !

As long he scores a few cleat rockets and goal shots it's cool!

I'm still a BELIEBER

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

There's talk now that, despite reports to the contrary yesterday, Mata never left London and his medical has not taken place. Apparently it could be up to 48 hours until there is any news.

The Chevrolet tweet has me believing that this will happen, although with Chelsea acting the maggot you never know. I keep breaking my promise to myself not to pay any attention to transfers until I see the player in a United shirt. :/

We've obviously heard that Chelsea want to tie up the Salah deal before signing off on Mata but Newstalk mentioned this morning that Salah (whos Egyptian) refuses to sake the hands of Israelis and that Abramovich isn't happy about that!

To which I thought... WTF !!

Tabloid nonsense, or the dreaded Vote of Confidence?
    David Moyes has been assured his job is safe - despite the latest setback in Manchester United’s crisis-hit season.

Premier League champions United are heading for their worst season in a quarter of a century following their Capital One Cup exit to Sunderland on penalties.

That has left them with only the Champions League and a top-four finish to play for this term, after their FA Cup third round exit.

Despite being on course for their worst campaign since 1989, when Alex Ferguson's side finished 11th and won nothing, Moyes will be given time.

United have given the 50-year-old private assurances that he has the full backing of the club’s board, despite his difficult first season in charge.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement