Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have to admit would not to angered to see Chico used in a makeshift deal for someone of top quality.
    Could be maybe an offering for Dortmund, in part exchange for one of their little startlets we are after.

I get the love affinity for him, and I've no problem with the man, just the player. Chico would have been indispensible playing in the 90's, or even early 00's. Indispensible, one of the greatest signings ever. Unfortunately, now, you need more. I won't go into detail, but I've strongly critised and queried his ability outside the box, and felt in the last year Wellbeck has even shown more of an offering ahead of him.

Of course goals are important, let's not discuss the amtter, it's obvious. But the method by which goals are being scored now is different to 10 years ago, hell even 5 years ago. Strikers need to offer more, they need to receiving, holding and linking up the play. And if we were to even contemplate a 4-2-3-1 formation, Chico would fall down to 4th choice, I feel Wellbeck offers BUNDLES in general play then Chico.

He is an unfortunate case of a player who just arrived in the wrong era to be honest. I know we ASSUME he would do well at any top club, I don't think so. I think his general game is somewhat lacking, and shows anytime he starts ( from what I've seen the last few seasons).

A pity for sure, but look lets not leave an player depriciating in value, when we can use him to another player potentially that would fit better. It would be a brave move, one that would get some flack from segments of the fanbase, but one I'd ultimately support strongly. I'd love to see him in a part exchange + cash for Reus, who fits wonderfully into a 3 man formation behind a lone striker. Comfortable in that formation operating from the left or right or even the middle, would offer the movement and interchanging we would want.

I really hope we look into 4-2-3-1, it looks too good on paper these days not to do. Especially considering we are looking very vunrable, it really locks up defensively, while just telling your front 4 to go mental.

RVP, Rooney, Mata, Reus, Kagawa, Januz would be absolute sex on toast in that formation ( I'd keep Kagawa if we moved to this formation. Something he is comfy with, can operate nicely in, and rotation would be key to challenge on multiple fronts)

If I could make one wish, it would be taking a good crack at 4-2-3-1 and see how we get on

Tabloid nonsense, or the dreaded Vote of Confidence?

The Glazers made a pretty confident, rumour ending statement about three-four weeks ago. The stock took a hit and they were being quizzed by financial journalists as does this maybe indicate a re-think on the managers selection.

They advised they selected Moyes stemming from the recommendation from SAf, but also looked at other candidates in the event they could not secure Moyes. They outlined that they not planning short term, and will not be making short term chops and changes. They have invested in a long term project with Moyes, backed by his long contract, and fully intend to support the manager in every way possible.

I thought it was telling, they don't talk much, they don't add fuel to fires and they don't get involved in media furore and the likes. This put any notion Moyes is going to bed. I cant find the link in work, but was from the last four weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Like other players at United this season, Chico has been rubbish.

Its very hard to separate a players performances from the bigger picture at a club some times. You just called Chico rubbish with the implication that he should be let go from the club, but before this season Chico had been nothing but fantastic for us whenever he was called upon.

This season however, Chico has by my reckoning started only four league games. He is at a club that as a whole is massively underperforming, ahead of a midfield and attacking unit that is completely dysfunctional. If you remember, even RVP looked increasingly frustrated playing as a striker before he got injured, is it such a surprise that Chico also looks out of sorts? Everybody looks out of sorts. That Chico comes in after months on the bench and looks rusty or short of confidence should be no surprise to anybody.

Getting rid of Chico and a few others because they have been rubbish misses the point in my opinion. Its throwing the baby out with the bathwater, we would be better served by looking at why they have been rubbish and fixing that problem first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

even RVP looked increasingly frustrated playing as a striker before he got injured

I worry, on this note, that some people think things will magically improve when RVP gets back. A lot of people seemed to think once Carrick returned from injury, things would improve, and they haven't.

RVP is great, but I refuse to get to hopeful about the impact he'll have when he returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Has anyone got an idea of likely return dayes for Rooney, RVP and Fellaini?

Getting rid of Chico and a few others because they have been rubbish misses the point in my opinion. Its throwing the baby out with the bathwater, we would be better served by looking at why they have been rubbish and fixing that problem first.

I'd imagine that has already be done. Looks lets be realistic about this, if it transpired Moyes was a TERRIBLE manager he would be gone.

If there was an issue with his staff they would be gone.

We don't know and won't know any of the background issues anytime soon. But in the short term, having a guess, what I've seen in my opinion is champions become lacks on their lorals. PLayers believing they are better then they actually are, based on the ease of title the year previous.

This squad has some pretty meh players, that a great manager extracted the maximum from, but also had some **** hot inform people to cover up any cracks.

It's also a case of a manager coming into a championship winning team, and not having the experience of how to keep a title winning team motivated.

It looks shockingly like City last season. Defending champions totally inept, poor performances and the likes. Except the writing is not on the wall for this manager, it is for players in the squad. If the Mata deal goes through, that's a big a sign as anyone will get that this manager is here for the long haul, and has full backing. Wouldn't be shocked to see players performances shooting up. It will be attributed to the arrival of Mata, but in reality it will be a rake of players getting the ****s about being transferred outbound. If the club are willing to drop 40 mill in January, what will they spend in the summer. A rebuild could be en route, and if your a United player you don't want to be shown the door.

I'm confident that once we are over the bump of this season, into the next, and ultimately the third, we will look back on this season as the players taking the foot of the gas after winning the title at a canter.

And to be fair, its a seismic shift for the squad aswell with the change, but ultimately while there has been some questionable decisions by Moyes, I don't feel him, and him alone, are the cause for the current situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

TheDoc wrote: »
    Have to admit would not to angered to see Chico used in a makeshift deal for someone of top quality.
    Could be maybe an offering for Dortmund, in part exchange for one of their little startlets we are after.

I get the love affinity for him, and I've no problem with the man, just the player. Chico would have been indispensible playing in the 90's, or even early 00's. Indispensible, one of the greatest signings ever. Unfortunately, now, you need more. I won't go into detail, but I've strongly critised and queried his ability outside the box, and felt in the last year Wellbeck has even shown more of an offering ahead of him.

Of course goals are important, let's not discuss the amtter, it's obvious. But the method by which goals are being scored now is different to 10 years ago, hell even 5 years ago. Strikers need to offer more, they need to receiving, holding and linking up the play. And if we were to even contemplate a 4-2-3-1 formation, Chico would fall down to 4th choice, I feel Wellbeck offers BUNDLES in general play then Chico.

He is an unfortunate case of a player who just arrived in the wrong era to be honest. I know we ASSUME he would do well at any top club, I don't think so. I think his general game is somewhat lacking, and shows anytime he starts ( from what I've seen the last few seasons).

A pity for sure, but look lets not leave an player depriciating in value, when we can use him to another player potentially that would fit better. It would be a brave move, one that would get some flack from segments of the fanbase, but one I'd ultimately support strongly. I'd love to see him in a part exchange + cash for Reus, who fits wonderfully into a 3 man formation behind a lone striker. Comfortable in that formation operating from the left or right or even the middle, would offer the movement and interchanging we would want.

I really hope we look into 4-2-3-1, it looks too good on paper these days not to do. Especially considering we are looking very vunrable, it really locks up defensively, while just telling your front 4 to go mental.

RVP, Rooney, Mata, Reus, Kagawa, Januz would be absolute sex on toast in that formation ( I'd keep Kagawa if we moved to this formation. Something he is comfy with, can operate nicely in, and rotation would be key to challenge on multiple fronts)

If I could make one wish, it would be taking a good crack at 4-2-3-1 and see how we get on

This IMO is completely overanalysing football, wrong era?! I know there are different styles of play and formations etc but football is a very simple game, you pass and move into goal scoring positions and your striker sticks the ball in the onion sack.

Welbeck can run around in circles and link up play until the cows come home. He is not a natural finisher, he is a centre forward who needs multiple chances to get goals.

As for the 4-2-3-1. There is no way i would trust our full backs to defend with no protection from midfield. Two holding centre midfielders would depress me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I pressume chico would have to take a pay cut if he joined dortmund?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Ok I will admit that I am a big fan of Hernandez, but I firmly believe that he would perform much better than he has so far this year with a proper functioning midfield behind him. As somebody else said already, I think his game has suffered a bit this year because he is often outside of the box. He is a lethal finisher and IMO should have been on against Chelsea from the start. The other night he ran his heart out for the team. He has passion on the pitch and tries his hardest every game.

Am I saying he should start ahead of Rooney and RVP? No. But he is a wonderful option to have on the bench when we need a goal. He links up very well with Rooney. He could link up well with Mata also. He is also a far superior goalscorer to Welbeck.

If I had to choose a striker to have behind Rooney and RVP, it would be Chicho. I think he's been getting a lot of unfair criticism this season. Granted, he hasn't performed to his best, but some people seem to have very short memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

TheTownie wrote: »
    We've obviously heard that Chelsea want to tie up the Salah deal before signing off on Mata but Newstalk mentioned this morning that Salah (whos Egyptian) refuses to sake the hands of Israelis and that Abramovich isn't happy about that!

To which I thought... WTF !!

Abramovich is Jewish

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    God even Owen started teasing United fans.

michael owen ‏@themichaelowen 5m

Yes,the Equalizer has done it again .............another sponsorship deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Please god, when I wake up in the morning, please tell me Mata has signed for us.
    Something positive this year for a change.
    Iv been quite lucky that sky lost the rights to show premier league games this year!!! Otherwise I would have broke my tv by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Chico to Arsenal.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. Seems like a good rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

GSPfan wrote: »
    Chico to Arsenal.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. Seems like a good rumour.

can we not send them Welbeck instead, derail their title bid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

bullvine wrote: »
    can we not send them Welbeck instead, derail their title bid

We're not that stuck! ...actually we might be :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Might as well post this here, bound to be some questions asked that might be of relevance to United! Press conference starts on 12.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Atletico will probably struggle to keep hold of Costa in the summer. Depending if we get the likes of Vidal or Gundogan, then Hernandez could be a decent bargaining chip towards Koke in the summer.
    Koke signed a new contract a few weeks ago.I would take Torres off them and Neville was supposed to be scouting Niguez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I cant wait to see Mata playing for us, going to be epic.

He's far far far from the answer to our problems but its Mata. The fans and the team need a boost, Mata can bring us the boost we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

I think the club will announce Rooney has agreed a new deal, that seems to be the vibe coming out of Manchester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Headshot wrote: »
    I cant wait to see Mata playing for us, going to be epic.

He's far far far from the answer to our problems but its Mata. The fans and the team need a boost, Mata can bring us the boost we need.

Because he's the hero that United deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him...because he can take it...because he's not a hero...he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...the Batmuan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but I read that Gundogan has a very serious and incurable back condition. May have to retire from football but may get away with it with special training regimes.

That would be a major worry in any transfer dealings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but I read that Gundogan has a very serious and incurable back condition. May have to retire from football but may get away with it with special training regimes.

heard the same - will miss parts of every season with it, seemingly.

Hargreaves mk II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Klopp has ruled him out playing before the transfer window closes anyway.

It would be madness signing him in this window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I worry, on this note, that some people think things will magically improve when RVP gets back. A lot of people seemed to think once Carrick returned from injury, things would improve, and they haven't.

RVP is great, but I refuse to get to hopeful about the impact he'll have when he returns.

the thing is Carricks return coincided with RVP being out and rooney maybe played 1 game with him. while i dont magically expect us to improve the football we are playing having someone of the goal scoring ability of RVP up front instead of (no offense) danny welbeck surely is gonna change us scoring at the very least especially if it coincides with this hopeful signing of mata and a return to fitness for rooney too. thinking of all the games since arsenal that we dropped points in when RVP first went out cardiff we couldnt find that final goal to kill the game leading to there late equaliser, didnt see the spurs game so not gonna comment, everton at home we looked to more likely to score until they did and then just fell apart, he clearly looked unfit against newcastle, spurs at home we were on top for over half an hour and couldnt find the goal they score and changes the game in their favour, chelsea first half we were on top but nobody could find a goal and they get 2 against play.

again im not saying we are gonna magically start playing like city are but surely with rvp, rooney and mata added up front we are gonna be a lot more creative and dangerous in front of goal and as the saying goes goals change games and its something we have struggled to do is score when we are on top all season. we need a CM to start playing better football but we were this bad last year too going behind first in countless games and it was RVPs goals carried us through. think we have a better defensive record at this point than 12 months ago but our goal scoring is down dramatically. the lads on soccer saturday(not that i listen to them too much) made a good point your standing in the tunnel looking across at the teams that we have had to put out and who are you gonna be scared of? its a far more scarier thought for oppositions to have to deal with a front 4 of mata, rvp, rooney and januzaj than it is to be facing welbeck, valencia, januzaj (our only shining light) and kagawa who has not really settled yet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah, Gundogan should never be mentioned again in a United thread, we have enough of injured players as it is.

Is there a link for this injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 7s
    Gladbach have confirmed that David Moyes will be at the game v Bayern tonight. (via @SZ_Sport )

Who would he be looking at there?

Dante?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah, that was news last week, looking at a Monchengladbach midfield player as well as Dante if they are playing.

Dante?

Maybe or Xhaka?

Point is can we conclude Mata deal with Moyes in Germany? (I know we can but will we?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Maybe or Xhaka?

Or Patrick Herrmann.

Dante?

Possibly Patrick Hermann - right sided midfielder we have been linked with.

InsideManUtd ‏@InsideManUtd 7m
    Sir Alex Ferguson has been named UEFA Coaching Ambassador, according to Sky Sports News

God knows what that means.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Or Patrick Herrmann.

Oh yeah, I forgot that we were linked with him.

He will travel the world, teaching coaching skills to the poor and the hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

well you know what will be suggested by fans of other clubs more decisions in our favour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Patrick Herrmann not a fan of moving in January;
    "But a winter transfer is absolutely no issue for me. I feel fine here at Borussia, we are playing an outstanding season."

It would be a cm or lb thats top priority at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I couldn't help but chuckle at this one: A tweet popped up on my feed from an account called "Slow Sports News" who have a mock SSN logo.

"Breaking News.

Wayne Rooney 'will not sign new Manchester United deal'"

It links to a BBC article from 2010. Slow indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Max Kruse plays for Gladbach too, were linked with him and Hermann
    Could be looking at dante...

Could be looking at Thiago and realising what a fudge up he made by not trying to sign him

Could be looking at Alaba for Left Back...now that'd be a super signing...cos he destroyed Ireland as a CM too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I couldn't help but chuckle at this one: A tweet popped up on my feed from an account called "Slow Sports News" who have a mock SSN logo.

"Breaking News.

Wayne Rooney 'will not sign new Manchester United deal'"

It links to a BBC article from 2010. Slow indeed.

I like the one from 16 hours ago stating that Hazard has just kicked a ball box in the Chelsea vs Swansea game. :D

It posts up some humourous tweets but also spams your timeline a bit with its RT's so be wary if you are planning on following it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

brinty wrote: »
    Could be looking at Alaba for Left Back...now that'd be a super signing...cos he destroyed Ireland as a CM too....

Ah now, De Gea would destroy Ireland as a CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Dante?

Or perhaps Max Kruse

Ah now, De Gea would destroy Ireland as a CM.

Doesn't change the fact Alaba is a bloody good player and could improve the first team..i'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned as a possible target...it only dawned on me when i suggested Dante and thought of their other defenders..

Or DM might just go crazy and say I'll slap in a bid for the Javi Martinez guy..we really missed out there...

Any potential in viewing Shaqiri? (spellcheck)

We had interest a while ago before he moved to Bayern, hasn't really found way to nail down a spot with Robben, Ribery, Muller and at times Gotze ahead of him.

Hopefully Moyes is there to see Tony Kroos in flourishing action, and walks into the Olympic Stadium that evening with five trucks filled with dollar bills, points to Kroos and says "I want that one"

(I ****ing love Kroos)

We had interest a while ago before he moved to Bayern, hasn't really found way to nail down a spot with Robben, Ribery, Muller and at times Gotze ahead of him.

Hopefully Moyes is there to see Tony Kroos in flourishing action, and walks into the Olympic Stadium that evening with five trucks filled with dollar bills, points to Kroos and says "I want that one"

(I ****ing love Kroos)

Kroos would be worthy of a homer drooling gif.....i dunno how to do gif's....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

(I ****ing love Kroos)

I think that Kermit the frog gif could be making a reappearance if Kroos was signed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The good news sounds more like a contract signing than a player coming in. It would be great if we signed Mata and then Rooney signed a contract after but they should keep it quiet until Mata is a done deal.

7 days to get a signing in, we need a LB and a CM but that's probably unrealistic now. It's getting to the stage where a LB is just as important as a CM because Evra doesn't care anymore and Butters is a left winger.

Anyone hear that if we complete the deal for Mata, that DM will have paid more for players in his first season than Fergie did in any of his 26 seasons....

Found that to be pretty amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

brinty wrote: »
    Kroos would be worthy of a homer drooling gif.....i dunno how to do gif's....

Kroos and Alaba

52xeuQ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

brinty wrote:
    Theres not a hope in hell Bayern would let Alaba go. Hes the best left back in world bar none - and he's only 21. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement