Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Giving 2 fingers to the 'no value in the market' is one good thing Moyes has done.

Nonsense. Mata may turn out to be a great signing, but £37 million+ for a player who's unwanted by his current manager cannot be considered value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

Nonsense. Mata may turn out to be a great signing, but £37 million+ for a player who's unwanted by his current manager cannot be considered value.

Considering it's a direct EPL rival (well maybe not his season, but in general) that's selling, it's a fair price.

And everybody knows Mata's quality, it's a mystery to most people in the game that he's been so badly treated by Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Moyes is in Germany I hear.

Anyone hear or know more?

Hermann is it? Cheeky deal for Schweinsteiger:rolleyes: oh or Kroos or Gotze or Thiago goodness Bayern are spoilt

£37 million for Chelsea's player of the season for the past two seasons is value if you ask me. We once sold our player of the season for £80 million and Spurs sold theirs for £85 million. Think we're doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Nope i think the Jose press conference is the only actual from either club.

I meant Basel and Chelsea. Seen a cfc tweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I think you missed my point. Instead of saying there's no value, he saw a class player, and got him. Hopefully he addresses CM next...but...signing Mata, one of the best playmakers in the league, and if Moyes plays him out of position with the same dog****e tactics/subs..

Hanging on and time wasting at home to Sunderland ffs. Taking off Kagawa and putting on Valencia....

I was reading posts from 2011, Everton fans moaning about Moyes and his defensive tactics, players out of position, making subs with 4 mins to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Hermann is it? Cheeky deal for Schweinsteiger:rolleyes: oh or Kroos or Gotze or Thiago goodness Bayern are spoilt

ok..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Whats the limit of your ambitions do you mind me asking??would it be 4th place by any chance

I'm following Manchester United since FA cup final day in 1979 I've seen loads of false dawns in the 80s and while we seem to be going through a dip at the moment imo it was always going to happen given the lack of proper replacements after Keane and Scholes finished coupled also with change of manager, backroom team and chief exec.

That being said would i be happy with 4th place at the end of the season ? honest answer no. Anything less than 1st is nothing to be celebrating about. I think what we're going through at the moment is a temporary phase. Class is permanent though and we are well able to turn all this around pretty quickly so enjoy this spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

facepalm.gif

Nonsense. 37m for Chelsea's player of the year the last 2 years in a row and one of the best players in the premier league the past few seasons is great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Ozil cost more and was also unwanted and not to a direct rival and not during January when price is usually inflated. As said he's chelsea player of the year 2 years running and tgey know we are desperate. Could have cost more I'd say

I'm following Manchester United since FA cup final day in 1979 I've seen loads of false dawns in the 80s and while we seem to be going through a dip at the moment imo it was always going to happen given the lack of proper replacements after Keane and Scholes finished coupled also with change of manager, backroom team and chief exec.

That being said would i be happy with 4th place at the end of the season ? honest answer no. Anything less than 1st is nothing to be celebrating about. I think what we're going through at the moment is a temporary phase. Class is permanent though and we are well able to turn all this around pretty quickly so enjoy this spell.

So you're GloryHunter:p:p

Like what you said. Agree, although finishing 4th is nothing to go mad over I do think finishing 4th would be more relief then celebration, but it would feel better than pain of missing out on CL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

magnumbud wrote: »
    Ozil cost more and was also unwanted and not to a direct rival and not during January when price is usually inflated. As said he's chelsea player of the year 2 years running and tgey know we are desperate. Could have cost more I'd say
    Ozil would be the universally higher rated player though. I'd probably give him the nod myself, I remember in September there was a thread on here about the best player in the Premiership. Ozil was mentioned tonnes, Mata not really. Would be hard to argue without red tinted specs that Mata is the better player.

CSF wrote: »
    Ozil would be the universally higher rated player though. I'd probably give him the nod myself, I remember in September there was a thread on here about the best player in the Premiership. Ozil was mentioned tonnes, Mata not really. Would be hard to argue without red tinted specs that Mata is the better player.

Who is arguing that :confused::confused:

Who is arguing that :confused::confused:

It has a bearing on their respective transfer values obviously.

I don't think Ozil ever reached Mata's productivity last season. 20 goals and 35 assists was outrageous.

• Advertisement

facepalm.gif

Nonsense. 37m for Chelsea's player of the year the last 2 years in a row and one of the best players in the premier league the past few seasons is great value.

It's far too early to say whether it's good value or not tbh.

For that money you'd be expecting a lot of goals and assists

Hierro_4 wrote: »
    I don't think Ozil ever reached Mata's productivity last season. 20 goals and 35 assists was outrageous.

Are those figures accurate? Was only (again seems like the wrong word to use) 11 and 18 in the league anyway.

Personally would say its hard to call between them. Not sure it's universally ozil but maybe I didn't watch enough of ozil at Madrid. My comparison came from them both being top drawer players that for mad reasons are unwanted and that I would say they would both cost about the same and we could have been caught for more for being rivals and it being January. All I know is my 2 chelsea fan friends are gutted and disgusted at the deal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

United Religion
    @Unitedology
    Juan Mata's friend and hairdresser confirms he has joined United on Instagram...

Bews-uYIgAAiwPC.jpg:large

• Advertisement

Hairdresser. fecking sell him. He needs a barber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ozil started off great but by the end of October up to now hes been ok, nothing standout and alot games seem to pass him by. I would have picked Ozil at the start of the season based on reputation but having watched 95% of Arsenal games this season I would pick Mata, and red tinted specs have nothing to do with it.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Ozil started off great but by the end of October up to now hes been ok, nothing standout and alot games seem to pass him by. I would have picked Ozil at the start of the season based on reputation but having watched 95% of Arsenal games this season I would pick Mata, and red tinted specs have nothing to do with it.
    Ozil has been the best player in his position for a number of years now IMO.

Woodward and Rooney apparently met in last day or 2 also about contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Ozil is a fantastic player. Not getting into whether he is better than Mata or not, but I don't think Ozil has done very much for the last 2 or 3 months for Arsenal. He's been very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Watch every single one of Arsenals goals and you will see Ozil been a part of 99% of them. Games do pass him by, but he will create at least 3 or 4 great goalscoring chances every game.

Mata has been ripping up the PL for 2 years, Ozil so far for me hasn't performed anywhere near his reputation suggests. I`ll wait until the end of the season but there's two sides to every coin.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Watch every single one of Arsenals goals and you will see Ozil been a part of 99% of them. Games do pass him by, but he will create at least 3 or 4 great goalscoring chances every game.

Don't agree at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

But if you are comparing based on this season, how do you reach that conclusion? Mata has hardly played.

All you are saying is that you have lowered your opinion of Ozil who has been picked to play and that you have raised your opinion of Mata who not been picked to play.

Hardly evidence-based?

Mata has been ripping up the PL for 2 years, Ozil so far for me hasn't performed anywhere near his reputation suggests. I`ll wait until the end of the season but there's two sides to every coin.
    I don't want to go too much further with this argument because we are probably veering further off-topic than most will like, but if you're judging Ozil on this season and not the unbelievable ones he has had before(he has been pretty immense this season too) , then surely you have to do the same for Mata.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Woodward and Rooney apparently met in last day or 2 also about contract.
    Source via twitter or what Kew?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Source via twitter or what Kew?

Just few reliable lads on twitter who 1 or 2 would know in here.

Firstly hope its true, secondly hope its positive talks.

Right lads I have a stag to head to and christening tomorrow so full weekend of drinking awaits

This needs to be said. Have a good one.

keep-calm-and-support-man-united-48.png

Are those figures accurate? Was only (again seems like the wrong word to use) 11 and 18 in the league anyway.

- 17 assists, 11 goals in Premier League
    -5 assists, 1 goal in FA cup
    -4 assists, 2 goals in League cup
    -3 assists, 3 goals in Champions League
    -5 assists, 1 goal in Europa League
    -1 assist, 1 goal in Club World Cup

Source: http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/juan-mata/leistungsdaten-detail/spieler_44068.html

It's more impressive considering he was supplying strikers like Torres and Ba. Imagine what he could do with Van Persie and Rooney.

I just can't see us finishing 4th without buying a midfielder. Opposition supporters aren't too bothered by the Mata signing because of the midfield problem, which shows the magnitude of it really.

I'm just basing it on what I've seen in the PL CSF. Ozil deserves as much time as Mata for a fair comparison but if you asked me right now who I'd prefer I would say Mata.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Think Cabaye could join near the end of this window. Obviously Champions league eligible

Right lads I have a stag to head to and christening tomorrow so full weekend of drinking awaits

This needs to be said. Have a good one.

keep-calm-and-support-man-united-48.png

So anything that you post in the next two days can be excused :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I still have a really bad feeling about the Mata transfer. I wish I could just not think about football at all until Tuesday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I suppose Ed showed Rooney his Man Utd squad off FM and then told him how he plans on getting that team in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Mata owns Albiol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

To those questioning value in mata at 37 million think about this chelseas star man for years past we get for 37 million pound..

Pool paid 37 million pound on andy carroll would you value carroll 2 million less than mata

PMSL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

When is the latest that Mata can be registered for the match on Tuesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see Sunderland are interested in Banega, love to see how he would get on in the PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Monday midday AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Think he would have to be registered with United to the fa by Monday afternoon but could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

To those questioning value in mata at 37 million think about this chelseas star man for years past we get for 37 million pound..

Pool paid 37 million pound on andy carroll would you value carroll 2 million less than mata

PMSL :D

Liverpool also paid 22 million for Suarez in the same transfer window. Would you value mata 15 million more than Suarez.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Liverpool also paid 22 million for Suarez in the same transfer window. Would you value mata 15 million more than Suarez.

Suarez has improved significantly since that outlay and wasn't signed from a rival.

It makes no sense to compare the two transfers.

niallo27 wrote: »

At the time probably. Suarez has improved big time he enjoys being the big fish in a small pond. Prob worth 60m now .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement