Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

duffman13 wrote: »
    Really? I like Jones but for me Evans is the better player at CB at the moment. Granted Jones will develop to be a better player (hopefully) but i just think Evans is underrated by a lot of people.

The stuff around Zaha seems to revolve around him having a hectic social life. Pulis said last week Moyes wouldnt allow him back to London. No solid basis that what i am saying is fact but if Pulis says this and Moyes is reluctant to play him that would be a logical conclusion.

Jones has been played right back, central mid and occasiocally at centre half. Evans has been playing centre half the whole time. I'd have Jones all day ahead of Evans. He needs time at centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

kstand wrote: »
    Jones has been played right back, central mid and occasiocally at centre half. Evans has been playing centre half the whole time. I'd have Jones all day ahead of Evans. He needs time at centre half.

That's not what you said though, you said he was a better centre half than Evans, which basing form over the past number of years and other managers playing Evans ahead of him is simply not true.

As you said above "Occasionally" playing centre half is hardly a good way to judge someone over someone who is regularly in the 1st team and playing well and was potentially our best defender in the 11/12 season.

No doubt he has the potential to be better but plenty of people have potential, they don't always fulfill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Schism wrote: »
    We can only hope that having that deal reportedly at the latter stages they can now move onto more pressing areas. Moyes knows he needs midfielders, whether he can get them in January is another question. The quality of player that's needed isn't going to be easy to prise away.

For all we know, maybe the chance arose to do a deal for Garay now and they took it.

How is it then that all the other top teams are able to buy decent midfielders then?

What are our scouts doing?

If Moyes is holding out for a Cesc or such then he's going to be repeatedly dissappointed.

As Mitch points out Matic could be available from Benfica but we buy a centre-half from them instead.

I'm still waiting to see some joined up thinking from Moyes and Woodward in the transfer market.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not United news but Le Parisien reporting that Hazard has told friends & teammates that he'll be joining PSG in the Summer.I know we went all out to get him but kinda glad we missed out now,he's not exactly decided on a long term stay in England plus his sh1te on twitter at the time made him out to be childish.
    Now if only we could find a way to get Mata........he wants to stay in England but I'm sure Chelsea will never sell to us unless they get Rooney.

That's not what you said though, you said he was a better centre half than Evans, which basing form over the past number of years and other managers playing Evans ahead of him is simply not true.

As you said above "Occasionally" playing centre half is hardly a good way to judge someone over someone who is regularly in the 1st team and playing well and was potentially our best defender in the 11/12 season.

No doubt he has the potential to be better but plenty of people have potential, they don't always fulfill it.

hat I have seen of him he is a better centre half than Evans. In my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

zerks wrote: »
    Not United news but Le Parisien reporting that Hazard has told friends & teammates that he'll be joining PSG in the Summer.I know we went all out to get him but kinda glad we missed out now,he's not exactly decided on a long term stay in England plus his sh1te on twitter at the time made him out to be childish.
    Now if only we could find a way to get Mata........he wants to stay in England but I'm sure Chelsea will never sell to us unless they get Rooney.

Hazard will be going nowhere in the summer, I'd be certain of it.

The source is a Paris newspaper that has no concrete sources.

On Mata, I'd be very surprised if we sold him to any English team, we blocked Ba going to Arsenal on loan incase it pushed them on, so Mata to Utd looks like a no hoper.

Yeah!!!! We signed a deal,Woodward's been to Italy.
    As the Wall Street Journal explains:

The deal, which runs until the end of the 2016/2017 season, will see Aperol branding visible during all domestic games at Old Trafford, as well official Club publications, MUTV and the official website. The partnership will also see the signature drink, Aperol Spritz available in the stadium's hospitality areas.

A celebration message of 'Cheers, United!' represents an exciting phase as Aperol develops its brand across the globe, extending into new markets developing outside its traditional Italian roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Moyes: We need a signing to lift spirits Ed, get it done this time, please.
    Woodward: Done and done:http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Club-News/2014/Jan/united-and-aperol-announce-sponsorship-agreement.aspx
    Moyes: Feck sake, right Ed - I'll make this simple, GO BUY COENTRAO.
    Woodward: Ok, I got this, don't worry Dave... Coentrao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The whole Zaha thing is weird for United, I just don't get it at all. I watched him in the flesh, tear Watford a new arse in the Play Off Final, and the lad has some potential. If Moyes doesn't want to play him, why he didn't send him back on a year's loan to Palace is baffling, like what they did when signing Foster from Stoke and giving him two years on loan at Watford. Zaha would have got a whole year under his belt playing Premier League football (something that hugely benefitted Foster), but instead he's left playing with the reserves and not even close to getting a run out for the first team. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's the equivalent of Marca reporting on Real Madrid. Either way your statement is rubbish. United got Kagawa, Chelsea got Hazard and it's plainly obvious as to who has been a success. Even if he did leave he'd most likely net Chelsea a profit in the region of 50 million.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's the equivalent of Marca reporting on Real Madrid. Either way your statement is rubbish. United got Kagawa, Chelsea got Hazard and it's plainly obvious as to who has been a success. Even if he did leave he'd most likely net Chelsea a profit in the region of 50 million.

We paid like 32 million, a 50 million profit would put him heading toward Bale money. :eek:

I knwo the Daily Mail said it expected PSG to bid 80million, if he was sold it would only be for stupid money.

I'd agree on Kagawa, but sometimes players just dont settle into different leagues, happens all the time, we've had plenty down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I read today that Juventus have put a €70 million price tag on Pogba.

Vidal would be very expensive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We paid like 32 million, a 50 million profit would put him heading toward Bale money. :eek:

I knwo the Daily Mail said it expected PSG to bid 80million, if he was sold it would only be for stupid money.

I'd agree on Kagawa, but sometimes players just dont settle into different leagues, happens all the time, we've had plenty down the years.

I reckon he'll have a similiar season to Bale stats wise this season, albeit without being played in a free role or having the whole team built around him. Chelsea hold all the cards, no reason anything under 80m should even be considered.

RobertKK wrote: »

These monopoly type figures have to be a result of Real paying €90 million for Bale. Every club now wants crazy money for their players.

€70 million for Pogba, jaysus Keano would be worth about €200 million these days if thats the case.

RobertKK wrote: »

Now thats huge money. :eek:

Pogba or Vidal would add to pretty much any CM in the EPL.

I doubt either would move prior to the WC and if either or both have good WC's that could go up.

Will be interesting to see how much PSG spend on Pogba, and how long he stays there for.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Now thats huge money. :eek:

Pogba or Vidal would add to pretty much any CM in the EPL.

I doubt either would move prior to the WC and if either or both have good WC's that could go up.

I reckon Pogba has a bit of the Anelka about him. 2 year time limit at a club, falls out with the manager and on to the next club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Robbie Savage has never made a fair point in his life.
    He said months ago that we wouldn't get in the top 4 when everyone else was peddling "Oh don't rule United out of the league yet". Unfortunately we've managed to make him look somewhat wise with that prediction.
    Yeah!!!! We signed a deal,Woodward's been to Italy.

Aperol Spritz. At least it kind of sounds like it could be a player. Getting closer.

Will be interesting to see how much PSG spend on Pogba, and how long he stays there for.
    JRant wrote: »
    I reckon Pogba has a bit of the Anelka about him. 2 year time limit at a club, falls out with the manager and on to the next club.

I'd agree, Juventus for him could be a "stepping" stone, either way Juventus will get big money when they sell, proabbly in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Your right, I'm not pleased. We need to strengthen midfield and left back asap. Fannying around with deals like this when the squad is thread bare in those area's is just fiddling while Rome burns down around them.

A bit dramatic no? This deal is being rumored to take place in the summer if at all. Its common sense to future proof and this deal in no way stops us from signing players in other areas. Who knows what strides are being made in those areas.

So fan are upset when do deals now? If its even true at all.

Would you rather we risk losing out on this player by not signing him when he is potentially available?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

RVP and Rooney both back starting - now that would be a sight for very bloodshot battered and bruised eyes.

A bit dramatic no? This deal is being rumored to take place in the summer if at all. Its common sense to future proof and this deal in no way stops us from signing players in other areas. Who knows what strides are being made in those areas.

So fan are upset when do deals now? If its even true at all.

Would you rather we risk losing out on this player by not signing him when he is potentially available?

If it's true (as we have nothing concrete yet) then they are wasting valuable time future-proofing while the present squad is stretched to the limit.

I've no problem with us arranging signings for next summer but only after the problem areas have been resolved. So far this transfer window we have links to a centre-half and an alcoholic beverage company, neither of which can play in midfield.

I wouldn't put it past them to sign a keeper and striker next ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Garay would be a good signing, assuming Vidic and Rio are on their way in the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

If it's true (as we have nothing concrete yet) then they are wasting valuable time future-proofing while the present squad is stretched to the limit.

I've no problem with us arranging signings for next summer but only after the problem areas have been resolved. So far this transfer window we have links to a centre-half and an alcoholic beverage company, neither of which can play in midfield.

I wouldn't put it past them to sign a keeper and striker next ;)

and a winger....

lets sign all the wingers.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its not thayt United are a small business with only one person working on transfers at a time tbh. We should be well capable of working on multiple deals at a time. So the idea that working on a Garay deal takes away from time spent on other deals is flawed seriously imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ideally I would like to see a CM and LB come in during January, and a a further Winger, CB and maybe CM come in during the Summer window. As well as that, I want Anderson, Cleverley, Rio, Giggs, Valencia, Young (maybe not), Evra, and Vidic gone due to age or purely being shíte.

Its not thayt United are a small business with only one person working on transfers at a time tbh. We should be well capable of working on multiple deals at a time. So the idea that working on a Garay deal takes away from time spent on other deals is flawed seriously imo.

Should being the appropriate word. The evidence from the summer dealings would suggest otherwise though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Ideally I would like to see a CM and LB come in during January, and a a further Winger, CB and maybe CM come in during the Summer window. As well as that, I want Anderson, Cleverley, Rio, Giggs, Valencia, Young (maybe not), Evra, and Vidic gone due to age or purely being shíte.

5 in with 8 going out? Leaves us very light imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If true then news should only be welcomed as it shows we are planning ahead.

A couple of signings now and we are smoking diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

They practice crossing & finishing,our wingers must go home early so.

Valencia must play in goal.

We should be - but the summer seems to suggest otherwise. Woodward even said that keeping Rooney in the summer stopped them from working on other deals, cause they spent so much time on Rooney - which would indicate there are finite resources, and possibly not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

"Sucking diesel" surely? :)

Failure to sign now could lead to us smoking crack instead.

Pro. F wrote: »
    "Sucking diesel" surely? :)

I blame my lack of sleep these days for my grave error ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

We should be - but the summer seems to suggest otherwise. Woodward even said that keeping Rooney in the summer stopped them from working on other deals, cause they spent so much time on Rooney - which would indicate there are finite resources, and possibly not enough.

What do you actually have to do to keep a player, that would keep you so busy?
    One conversation with the player saying they're not leaving?

If they get nobody in this window, I think it will push me from the supporting Moyes camp to the Moyes out camp.
    You cannot lament the squad, and then do nothing about it.

What do you actually have to do to keep a player, that would keep you so busy?
    One conversation with the player saying they're not leaving?

If they get nobody in this window, I think it will push me from the supporting Moyes camp to the Moyes out camp.
    You cannot lament the squad, and then do nothing about it.

I don't know. If they had agreed a new contract with him, I could understand, but I really don't get what took so much effort in the Rooney case, given the actual result. Maybe Woodward is lying and is using the Rooney situation as cover for poor transfer work, but he did say Rooney took their efforts and attention away from the transfer market.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Nothing major happening yet, but I think in terms of LB best case would be getting Coentrao on loan until summer. Buy him then if he plays well or if he doesn't go all out for Shaw. Sounds easy, but probably won't happen.

Haven't seen a tweet from Alistair Ferguson mentioned here it's from yesterday and says:
    "It seems that United are determined to capture a midfielder from Juve this window. A lot of focus there. #MUFC"
    Apparently having made enquiries about Marchisio, Vidal, Pogba according to that.

Take what you want about transfer rumours, but apparently a bid has been made for Herrera too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Why would you want Vidic to leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The Glazers need to look at the bigger picture if we don't get top 4 will RVP and Rooney want to stay and Vidic?

It's surely worth splashing the funds on players this month to try secure top 4. Cabaye would not be my top target but he would be a good addition. Contrea looks likely and i would love to test the waters for Di Maria. I fear if we don't sign a lb and a cm player we have very very little hope of top 4.

• Advertisement

Nothing major happening yet, but I think in terms of LB best case would be getting Coentrao on loan until summer. Buy him then if he plays well or if he doesn't go all out for Shaw. Sounds easy, but probably won't happen.

Haven't seen a tweet from Alistair Ferguson mentioned here it's from yesterday and says:
    "It seems that United are determined to capture a midfielder from Juve this window. A lot of focus there. #MUFC"
    Apparently having made enquiries about Marchisio, Vidal, Pogba according to that.

Take what you want about transfer rumours, but apparently a bid has been made for Herrera too.

I know somebody from Italy has been after Nani for awhile was it Juventus? If we could use him as bait for Marchisio maybe 15 million plus Nani or something it could tempt them. Nani is our only genuine top class winger but injuries and Moyes refusal to play him regularly means we might not see him get back to his best.

Cleverley is questionable he is average but is English and decent he will be kept. But how you can want Vidic is gone is just bizarre. He was fantastic last season and this season he has just never looked fully fit. He is a leader, a warrior and our best defender by a distance losing him would be a mistake. I would like him kept around and used sparingly mainly for big games the defence is much stronger with him.

Would not like to see Vidic and Rio leave together. Like to see Vidic stick around 1more season

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I know somebody from Italy has been after Nani for awhile was it Juventus? If we could use him as bait for Marchisio maybe 15 million plus Nani or something it could tempt them. Nani is our only genuine top class winger but injuries and Moyes refusal to play him regularly means we might not see him get back to his best.

Could be done alright, but unless we sign a good replacement then it's a case of 2 steps forward and 1 back, we'd be better off but not a whole lot.
    Saying that, it's not as if Nani has played many games anyway this season.

I still think if we had a CM like Scholes - quick passing, long diagonal - Valencia would improve a lot in terms of assists.

Another thing that's noticeable lately is the amount of times Evans comes into CM with the ball and plays it wide. Even though he's a very good passer, the presence of a top quality CM would do this job instead and allow quicker attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

If the Garay deal is true, fair enough, it's a decent addition to the squad and we have no idea how Moyes views him yet (i.e. First teamer or cover for say Jones)

Think we have to come to the conclusion that Rooney will be leaving and likely to Chelsea and Moyes needs to make plans to recruit for his absence and recruit someone who can also lead the line, possibly solo as I think that's the way we should be moving in terms of a system.

They should push for Mata to be included in any possible deal for Rooney and that would add the much needed guile to the midfield area or even from the right flank.

Sort out a left back and it wouldn't be a bad summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Would not like to see Vidic and Rio leave together. Like to see Vidic stick around 1more season

Isn't that the crux of it...the Vidic camp want a multi year contract but the club are maintaining there policy of offering 1 year extensions to ageing players..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You have to assume that the Glazers would be almost eager to make funds available for transfers. If United were to miss out on CL qualification, and if this were to lead to Rooney and possibly RVP, leaving combined with the increased difficulty in attracting players, United could quickly get into a habit of finishing in the middle of the table.

Obviously this is a worst case scenario but it's not outside the realms of possibility and, if it happens, sponsorship will dry up and the share price will tank. The Glazers have so far shown themselves to be very astute business people. The money has to be there so it's all up to Moyes and Woodward to go out and shop.

I'll be very disappointing if they don't get the ball rolling in this window. I don't expect major fireworks, but the summer will be tough enough and there's too much to do to leave it all until then.

I reckon we need a left back and a central midfielder right now.

In the summer we need a second left back, another central midfielder and probably a winger. A right back and maybe a striker or two could be required as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

ericzeking wrote: »
    Isn't that the crux of it...the Vidic camp want a multi year contract but the club are maintaining there policy of offering 1 year extensions to ageing players..

FFS would they just get this deal done whatever it takes, its the club captain FFS...

Next Rooney get it sorted, in the form of his life, can't afford to lose him

Next get ball playing midfielders/attackers into the team...get rid of all bar Carrick...they don't score, don't provide assists, don't do much of anything, christ above every top team has a massive number of goals from midfield we're lucky to get 10...don't wanna hear this Valencia, nani crap...what have they done for me lately...bog all...good riddance

A centre half is needed but not until the summer.
    A creative strong central midfielder is needed right now.
    As for wide players, the only one who has stood out this season is Januazaj - and that needs addressing. If Nani got a run on one side and Januzaj on the other then we might get over that.
    A left back is needed - though is one needed right now? Coentrao has been injured the last 2 months - Baines age is against him (along with price tag) and are we really in for Luke Shaw who would be my preferred option.
    If the board are serious about backing Moyes, then let them go and sanction the signing of a marquee name in the middle of the picth - and if that means laying out 40m then so be it. But I wont be holding my breath.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement