Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

That_Guy wrote: »
    Pity it's David Moyes coaching him. ;)

Hush now the chosen one has delivered us the special juan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Coentrao next please, and a man can dream...Vidal <3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

When's the last time we had a Spanish international at Utd?

EDIT- was it Pique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

magnumbud wrote: »
    Hush now the chosen one has delivered us the special juan

Wasn't the deal done by a third party?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Hopeful that a midfielder is on the way. Carrick being out almost forces the clubs hand in that respect.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

beno619 wrote: »
    "Transfer handled by intermediateries"

Is Wasn't the deal done by a third party?

it true it was Chevrolet ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Im sure he will, but clearly is not the answer to our midfield problems. Most of our issues this year have been caused by the organisation and instructions given to playing staff.

You should factor in why he chose to go with said directions. Personnel, which he is improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Quandary wrote: »

De Gea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

De Gea?

Don't think he has a snr cap yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Im sure he will, but clearly is not the answer to our midfield problems. Most of our issues this year have been caused by the organisation and instructions given to playing staff.

Not when most stories point to him having no involvement besides okaying the fee.

Of course they have.........
    Nothing at all to do with key injuries to key players at key times, the gaping issues with squad strength in key areas and the adjustment that losing a manager and backroom staff of 26 odd years brings..............never mind some of the players in diabolical form.

Yeah, things aren't 100 percent on the tactics side but you cannot blame moyes for absolutely everything when he very plainly has indicated where the issues are with the squad and is trying to remedy them.
    He's 6 months into the job for christs sake and in two windows has signed two of the best midfielders in the league for the past few seasons and has indicated a left back and another mid fielder is required.
    Judge the guy in another 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Is it true it was Chevrolet ?

Nike I believe. They didn't work well together after the Rooney deal, so sent Nike in apparently.

If true, good job Nike. We got Mata. That's all that Matas now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

master-t wrote: »
    Nike I believe. They didn't work well together after the Rooney deal, so sent Nike in apparently.

Whoever it was I hope to god they are in Turin right now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I finally get to post this - I have had it ready for 2 days:

JoseMata_zps6ff7b9ae.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

jameshayes wrote: »
    queue all the questions re: what number he'll get

Has to be 7 its been waiting for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

tumblr_mv9vxeDOwJ1qgmhvbo1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

kippy wrote: »

The thought of him being in charge for another 12 months sends a shiver down my spine.

Matas signing actually makes me want to see the back of Moyes even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nothing at all to do with key injuries to key players at key times, the gaping issues with squad strength in key areas and the adjustment that losing a manager and backroom staff of 26 odd years brings..............never mind some of the players in diabolical form.

Yeah, things aren't 100 percent on the tactics side but you cannot blame moyes for absolutely everything when he very plainly has indicated where the issues are with the squad and is trying to remedy them.
    He's 6 months into the job for christs sake and in two windows has signed two of the best midfielders in the league for the past few seasons and has indicated a left back and another mid fielder is required.

Moyes has been very unlucky with injuries and hasn't had the rub of the green in general but nothing he has done since he took over(apart from signing Mata :( ) has suggested that he is the man for the job, imo he is out of his depth.

adox wrote: »
    The thought of him being in charge for another 12 months sends a shiver down my spine.

Why so?
    Because he is buying dross players who wont improve the squad?
    Because he has sold some of the best players the club has, while under no pressure to do so?
    Because he's not a flashy name?
    Because he's the finished article?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Jaysus christ, just be happy for one fcuking night at least ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

12 months!? 12 years more like!

article-2432832-18445CDF00000578-717_634x455.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Quandary wrote: »

EDIT- was it Pique?

I think Mata will be the first full Spanish international to play for Utd.

Johner wrote: »
    Moyes has been very unlucky with injuries and hasn't had the rub of the green in general but nothing he has done since he took over(apart from signing Mata :( ) has suggested that he is the man for the job, imo he is out of his depth.

Nothing at all?
    Buying Fellani?
    Buying Mata?
    Letting Anderson leave the club *albeit on loan
    Introducing Januzi to first team action.
    Recognising and trying to fill the need for midfield players in the Summer as well as identifying that a left back was required?

He's got to adapt himself, no doubt - a mentality change and possibly more adaptable tactics - he's done nothing to suggest that that will never happen to be honest and in 6 months he has identified and attempted to remedy some of the issues that Fergie let go for years.

But there are plenty, like yourself, who think 6 months is a time frame that the job moyes has to do should be judged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Happy days.....Great statement of intent from the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

5 months changes a lot :D
    Mata in talks with PSG, a failed Pool bid

We should be in for him, he's not as good as Ozil but he's still too good to turn down.

And now that we know he wants out we could get him at a decent price

LOL.

There is no way Chelsea would sell Mata to us, putting in a bid would be an utter waste of time.

Johner wrote:
    Not a hope Chelsea would sell to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

DM-ICE wrote: »
    You should factor in why he chose to go with said directions. Personnel, which he is improving.

I dont believe the personnel that has been fit are as poor as Moyes has them playing. Is any Sunderland player better than the United counterpart from Wednesday ? He has also ignored some squad members. This has all been highlighted before though.

Gaping issues could have been addressed already like Mourinho & Pellegrini.
    Could have held on to some of the backroom staff.
    On the tactics side things are very poor and almost always wrong imo.
    Unsettling Evra while not bringing in a replacement was a massive failure also.

I gave Moyes credit for signing Mata but none of our issues have been solved.

• Advertisement

5 months changes a lot :D

I didnt think they would either to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Great business for you lads. I wish my club could spend money and attract players like that :(

However, as good a signing as it is, it's not simply a Mata of everything is rosy now.

Sorry...

Happy days.....Great statement of intent from the club.
    Another quality signing before Feb 1st would be an even bigger statement - here's hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Just on the Spanish International bit, Done the tour yesterday after the match on Wednesday night and in the players lounge is an international roll of honour,sure some have seen this anyway the guide said a player from Spain,Germany or Italy has never been capped by their country while playing for United now Mata is ticked off, How about Gundogan and Marchisio???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

irishfeen wrote: »
    Another quality signing before Feb 1st would be an even bigger statement - here's hoping!

Would be ideal alright but if it's a case of waiting until the summer for quality players to become available I can wait.

• Advertisement

Would be ideal alright but if it's a case of waiting until the summer for quality players to become available I can wait.
    Depends really, if the right player becomes available get him now! - cup tied or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Star date, Summer 2013, The Special One makes his return to English football, there was much rejoicing however one young Spaniard was less than impressed.

giphy.gif

Try as he might, he couldnt impress The Special One, culminating with a show of annoyance on new years day.

tumblr_static_j.d.-is-fabulous-on-scrubs-gif.gif

After 6 months of been left on the shelf by Jose, Juan Mata meets his new manager.

2.gif

Finally, supporters of other PL teams had to face up to the realisation that United are as big a club as any in the world.

giphy.gif

And from the fans from the red half of Manchester, it was a wonderful day for all!

scrubs-pimp-dance-o.gif

scrubs-todd-o.gif

:pac:

Gaping issues could have been addressed already like Mourinho & Pellegrini.
    Could have held on to some of the backroom staff.
    On the tactics side things are very poor and almost always wrong imo.
    Unsettling Evra while not bringing in a replacement was a massive failure also.

I gave Moyes credit for signing Mata but none of our issues have been solved.

If the tactics are very poor and almost always wrong they'd be a lot further down the table - but I agree, the tactics need to improve, or the players playing to them need to improve.
    Unsettling Evra? How about lighting a fire under his a$$ and him still not rising to the occasion?

There are issues remaining, no doubt, but to suggest that NONE of them have been solved........well........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Great signing and I think he can be a top player for United but I'm puzzled as to why Mourinho never fancied Mata from the word go. Why? Am I missing something? Mourinho doesn't often get it wrong so why did he never take to Mata?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

master-t wrote: »

It wasn't Nike, that was just a rumour made up by a twitter spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I didnt think they would either to be fair.

It shows how much circumstances have changed, everyone thought we'd be challenging Chelsea at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lol whats with the 3 or 4 gif posts lately :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I may only have JUAN brain cell but

This transfer is really messing with my.......

Grey MATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

irishfeen wrote: »
    Jaysus christ, just be happy for one fcuking night at least ....

Don't you know this is the Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours/MoanYourAssOff Thread - 2013/14

It shows how much circumstances have changed, everyone thought we'd be challenging Chelsea at least!

Nope, everyone thought Chelsea wouldnt sell to United, mainly because they've never needed the money, Mata was thought to be a key player for them at the time and United are still rivals to Chelsea.....
    It's not just about Mata, Chelsea have allowed United make the headlines again by signing a big player, which might help attract other big players to United at a time when they need that level of draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That_Guy wrote: »
    Wasn't the deal done by a third party?

Not done by a third party, as far as I know. Initial contact with Mata/Chelsea was done via a third party, and United got directly involved once it became apparent a deal could be done.

The third party, as far as I know, was an agent, not a sponsor.

Oh....MMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAA

Delighted.

Have been a massive critic of Moyes since the summer - so credit where it is due; signing Mata is fantastic.

He doesn't solve all of our problems, but no one player could and Mata solves (or will hopefully help to) one of our problems - creativity.

I have said that I wanted to see Moyes show something that pointed towards a better future for United under his reign - this is it, or at least the first part, for me. I am hopefull Moyes has a plan to use Rooney, RVP, Januzaj and Mata in the same side - and use them all somewhat correctly. My opinion is that will be a narrow 3 behind the front man, with width provided by the full backs.

Moyes is giving me something to pin some hope to - come on Moyes, now keep it going.

Ideally we would sign a central midfielder and a left back of repute in January (and I hear we are looking at a number in each of those positions), in order to make the formation I have to think we are moving towards actually work - but at least we are seeing something positive from Moyes and Woodward.

Delighted.

Nothing at all?
    Buying Fellani?
    Buying Mata?
    Letting Anderson leave the club *albeit on loan
    Introducing Januzi to first team action.
    Recognising and trying to fill the need for midfield players in the Summer as well as identifying that a left back was required?

He's got to adapt himself, no doubt - a mentality change and possibly more adaptable tactics - he's done nothing to suggest that that will never happen to be honest and in 6 months he has identified and attempted to remedy some of the issues that Fergie let go for years.

But there are plenty, like yourself, who think 6 months is a time frame that the job moyes has to do should be judged in.

I've always said Fellaini would be a good signing for United, hasn't worked out so far but I still think he will come good and Mata will be a star so he has to get credit for them signings and also as you say bringing Januzaj into the team.

It's the tactics, the mentality and the way he has set up for some games that make me think he's out of his depth. The game against Sunderland was a recent example for me, United went 1-0 up and should have pushed on for a second and third goal to kill off the tie but they sat back and invited Sunderland onto them and ultimately payed for it.

With a few more signings though he deserves a chance to see what he can but it's just my opinion that he isn't man for the United job on what I've seen so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Great signing and I think he can be a top player for United but I'm puzzled as to why Mourinho never fancied Mata from the word go. Why? Am I missing something? Mourinho doesn't often get it wrong so why did he never take to Mata?

Rumour alert...

Apparently Mata is close mates with Cassilas and Ramos who Mou had trouble with at Madrid so it was siad by a reputable account on Twitter that Mata was finished at Chelsea the day Mou got the job!!

Giggs-Boson (spelling) is the account...

Trilla wrote: »
    Don't you know this is the Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours/MoanYourAssOff Thread - 2013/14
    Ah Yes I forgot :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ya id like to echo my credit to Moyes for this deal, great bit of business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can see us looking at Cabaye.

I reckon he could be seen as a gettable, quality midfielder, that would improve us now, but not block us from going for Vidal/Gundogan in the summer.
    With Carrick out for a month I have to think a central midfielder is a pressing concern for United, even more so than it was prior to Wednesday.

Cabaye would come with the added benefit of not being Cup Tied for the CL, though I don't think that should be a major consideration for United at this point.

dahat wrote: »
    Rumour alert...

Apparently Mata is close mates with Cassilas and Ramos who Mou had trouble with at Madrid so it was siad by a reputable account on Twitter that Mata was finished at Chelsea the day Mou got the job!!

Giggs-Boson (spelling) is the account...

That I can believe, the rumours of Mourinho not fancying Mata were there before he even took over at the club and ultimately they have been proved to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That I can believe, the rumours of Mourinho not fancying Mata were there before he even took over at the club and ultimately they have been proved to be true.

Here is the tweet and account..

https://twitter.com/giggs_boson/status/357475968643903489

I've always said Fellaini would be a good signing for United, hasn't worked out so far but I still think he will come good and Mata will be a star so he has to get credit for them signings and also as you say bringing Januzaj into the team.

It's the tactics, the mentality and the way he has set up for some games that make me think he's out of his depth. The game against Sunderland was a recent example for me, United went 1-0 up and should have pushed on for a second and third goal to kill off the tie but they sat back and invited Sunderland onto them and ultimately payed for it.

With a few more signings though he deserves a chance to see what he can but it's just my opinion that he isn't man for the United job on what I've seen so far.
    I dont disagree that tactics and mentality haven't been as good as they could have been in a number of matches this season. This is all changeable - and part of a bit of a learning curve for Moyes however.
    In fairness to Moyes, his predecessor never always got tactics or mentality right either in his entire reign but more often than not he did.
    At least you're willing to give him some time to get his own players in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Is Javi Martinez still playing in defence for Munich? Not starting tonight, obviously Manchester bound.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement