Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Johner wrote: »
    That I can believe, the rumours of Mourinho not fancying Mata were there before he even took over at the club and ultimately they have been proved to be true.

Is that true though? I just always found it odd that Mourinho should sideline one of the best players at the club like that.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

That I can believe, the rumours of Mourinho not fancying Mata were there before he even took over at the club and ultimately they have been proved to be true.

Mourinho's biggest mistake aint selling Mata. Its dropping him.

he is in for a shock.

Cracking signing lads. .always rated him along with my names sake for a longtime now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This signing, in theory, should allow Fellaini to focus on doing the dirty work behind that front four without having to worry about making something out of nothing.

Januzaj has shown that trickery and confidence and versatility will cause all sorts of problems. One of our problems is he is our only winger capable of doing that (our other problem is injuries to RVP and Rooney). Now we have a choice, Januzaj or Mata and it becomes less predictable on our behalf. Defenders won't like that one bit.

We've now got some great options to rotate up front without changing our shape too much.

Fellaini -- Carrick/Fletch

- Jan/Mata ---- Roo/Kag ---- Jan/Mata

Roo/RVP

I do wonder what is in store for Kagawa though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Mourinho's biggest mistake aint selling Mata. Its dropping him.

he is in for a shock.

Cracking signing lads. .always rated him along with my names sake for a longtime now.

Pains me to say but your namesake is one hell of a player, really rate him as well just a pity he plays for City.

Michael Owen said this on twitter earlier today
    michael owen ‏@themichaelowen 14h

So, Juan Mata is on the verge of a move to United. A little dickie bird tells me there is more good news for United fans coming soon! #tease

and said this on BT sports tonight
    Michael Owen on BT Sport: "From what I've heard Mata isn't the only player joining Manchester United. Exciting times for the fans"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kippy wrote: »
    At least you're willing to give him some time to get his own players in.

This is the key, and something Miguel Delaney wrote about on the Mirror website.

United have been dour and horrid in attack for most of the season - but there is the argument that this is down to the players at his disposal, and what he feels he can get out of it.

Mata, as I say, is hopefully a sign of change in tact from Moyes in terms of tactics. I do think more players are required, and I am convinced United are trying to get them.

Hopefully we start to see a change, and an improvement in fortunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

I can see us looking at Cabaye.

I reckon he could be seen as a gettable, quality midfielder, that would improve us now, but not block us from going for Vidal/Gundogan in the summer.
    With Carrick out for a month I have to think a central midfielder is a pressing concern for United, even more so than it was prior to Wednesday.

Cabaye would come with the added benefit of not being Cup Tied for the CL, though I don't think that should be a major consideration for United at this point.

I like Cabaye and he brings goals from midfield which has been sorely missed but Newcastle will want top dollar and after spunking 37m I really can't see it happening although i'd love if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Trilla wrote: »
    lol whats with the 3 or 4 gif posts lately :)

I know there nearly worse than the Mata puns :)

lucy-hale.jpg

success.jpg

loki.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

At least you're willing to give him some time to get his own players in.

I'm willing to give him time but can't stand the excuses being made for his poor performance so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

and I am convinced United are trying to get them.

Who have you heard we are after? you usually have solid info, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mata, as I say, is hopefully a sign of change in tact from Moyes in terms of tactics. I do think more players are required, and I am convinced United are trying to get them.

Hopefully we start to see a change, and an improvement in fortunes.
    You can already write this window off imo - if we were going to do something, it would be done by now.

I think the coming summer window is going to be a disaster too - world cup year is never an easy one for transfers, and Woodward/Moyes show no signs of learning from their mistakes.

What a difference a week makes! The shift in mood in here has been huge. The Mata effect is in full swing. Lot of pressure on the wee fella's shoulders but he's well able for it. Looking forward to see how it all pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mata isn't exactly what we need, but fúck it he is a fantastic player.

RvP, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck, Mata, Kagawa, Nani and Januzaj is a phenomenal collection of attacking talent. If the rest of the team is ever fixed and the manager gets his act together, we'll be in very good shape.

So now Moyes has spent £56m adding to a squad that haven't finished outside the top two in seven years. Not finishing in the top four would be a spectacular failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lads surely people realise that to play the narrow passing setup of 3 behind the forward, we would need a far better midfielder and also a left back who is good at defending.

I don't think we'll see what Moyes really wants to do until these players are signed.

There's an argument that Moyes has played generally with two hardworking wingers because of the deficiencies in our defence and midfield. We've conceded 27 goals while playing pretty conservatively.

I'm starting to believe it could be the case that Moyes has us playing the way we are because it's the best he can do with the players at his disposal. And it's no secret he's looking for a LB, and a CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Don't know if this works but this link was from the talksport lads. Laughed all the way through it.

http://bit.ly/1mPKxhn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pro. F wrote: »

So now Moyes has spent £56m adding to a squad that haven't finished outside the top two in seven years. Not finishing in the top four would be a spectacular failure.

Surely it's closer to £64m?

Pighead wrote: »
    What a difference a week makes! The shift in mood in here has been huge. The Mata effect is in full swing. Lot of pressure on the wee fella's shoulders but he's well able for it. Looking forward to see how it all pans out.

indeed - there seems to have been a shift at United; the club do seem to have kicked things up a notch in the last two weeks. Scouting and negotiating.

When I posted the second quoted post there, I had heard nothing about United being close to anyone. The Mata deal has only been started in the last two weeks, and United seem to have started to really push for others.

I do think the initial plan was to do nothing/little in January - on the back of a good december. I do think the horrid turn for the worse our fortunes took in January kicked a few asses into gear, and a few plans were put into action sooner than originally planned - which I have called for and I'm glad of.

Still hoping for another couple of players - players that could improve us now, and become top notch squad/rotation players come the summer when we can hopefully go for, and grab, a player like Vidal/Gundogan. I still reckon not buying anyone now, on the assumption we will get Vidal/Gundogan in the summer, regardless of where we finish in the league. Mata will provide a lift, but we need more, imo, to get us back into that 4th place.

I maintain Mata wasn't in our plans until January - I think we became interested after his agent started to offer him around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I know there nearly worse than the Mata puns :)

they're :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

beno619 wrote: »
    I'm willing to give him time but can't stand the excuses being made for his poor performance so far.

Not excusing the guy, hes made mistakes.....who hasnt.
    Sick and tired of those not willing to give the guy a fair crack at the whip.......

Who have you heard we are after? you usually have solid info, imo.

just all the names in the press at the moment - i think United do want to do business for someone like Vidal now, but feel it could be impossible until the Summer.

Whether we go for a secondary target (and Cabaye would be my go to guy here) and can get that target now is another matter - not sure how much United will push if not for Gundogan/Vidal/Pogba. I do think Carrick's injury could be a kick for united to do something in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

£22.5 bid in for Shaw according to Rio's paper (The Mirror?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Lads what way are we going to play now? He can't use the same system he has been using and just put mata on the wing? The below looks great. But then if we sign another cm, where is he going to play and in what system!? Do we need another cm if we use the system below??

Carrick fellaini

Janu roo mata

RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

J. Marston wrote: »
    Another £20 million, sure why not?

Back the **** off. :mad: Greedy bastards, Shaw is ours. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Happy ****ing days.

Shaw,????

This could be the best day ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Devil08 wrote: »
    Lads what way are we going to play now? He can't use the same system he has been using and just put mata on the wing? The below looks great. But then if we sign another cm, where is he going to play and in what system!? Do we need another cm if we use the system below??

Carrick fellaini

Janu roo mata

RVP

2 midfielders is fine there as long as the fullbacks provide some width. Rooney would most likely drop back a bit if needed.

Also, please let the Shaw bid be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

Today's a Tigger kinda day.

Devil08 wrote: »

Carrick fellaini

Janu roo mata

RVP
    I am hoping that will be first choice - front 4 given as much freedom as possible - with Carrick and Fellaini protecting the defence, width from the full backs.

Have no issue with Raf at right back - not sure about Evra. Really like Shaw as a long term left back (if we get him, I'd be surprised) but not sure if he would be as solid right now as we'd need our left back to be for the formation.

What really gets me about that potential team is that it is a team I think will scare the opposition, I don't think we have had that this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There was a lot of talk when Van Persie signed about Manchester United not really needing him and it being a lot of money to spend on a player with one year left on his deal in a position that wasn't a real priority, but it was a move that ended up greatly helping in winning a title.

Mata is the same in that respect. The position he plays best in is not really a priority but he's a top class player and when there's an opportunity to sign those players then it should be taken.

Cracking signing.

The other positive is that it allows Fellaini to play in his best positon and Rooney to concentrate on doing what he does best.

If I were Moyes I'd scrap the idea of going with out and out wingers which United have done a lot of down through the years, something like the below might work. Looks pretty good to me.
    Fellaini Carrick

Mata
    Januzaj

Rooney

Van Persie

• Advertisement

useless wrote: »
    Today's a Tigger kinda day.

I think this song covers how most United fans feel now.

KH25 wrote: »
    Also, please let the Shaw bid be true.
    It is true - whether it is accepted, or gazzumped by Chelsea, is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

like a few here i didnt mind losing my bet on mata staying at Chelsea and all that is running through my head at the moment :D:D

It is true - whether it is accepted, or gazzumped by Chelsea, is another matter.

Money-wise I don't think the club will let Chelsea bully them. I believe it will ultimately be up to Shaw.

I am hoping that will be first choice - front 4 given as much freedom as possible - with Carrick and Fellaini protecting the defence, width from the full backs.

Have no issue with Raf at right back - not sure about Evra. Really like Shaw as a long term left back (if we get him, I'd be surprised) but not sure if he would be as solid right now as we'd need our left back to be for the formation.

What really gets me about that potential team is that it is a team I think will scare the opposition, I don't think we have had that this season.

I think this system would get the best out of kagawa too and even nani.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Not excusing the guy, hes made mistakes.....who hasnt.
    Sick and tired of those not willing to give the guy a fair crack at the whip.......

You are making excuses though, He's been unlucky but poor. Like I said he should get time but I won't beat around the bush when it comes to assessing his performance.

I have more faith/loyalty to United players that have delivered us trophies over the past few years than the new manager that we have regressed horribly under.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Our attacking options are looking very strong right now. If we can sign someone to shore up the middle of the park it could be a massive help.

If we have a stable, solid midfield it will make the jobs of the centre half pairing a lot easier. At the moment our centre halves are getting very little protection and opposing attacking midfielders are getting a lot of space and time on the ball. If Fellaini can come back from injury and find his feet it would be a big boost.

Another signing or two could put us in a very good position to push for that 4th spot.

Signing Mata has been a phenomenal start. Let's push on now and plug another hole :)

Back the **** off. :mad: Greedy bastards, Shaw is ours. :D

i'd be surprised if he doesn't end up at Chelsea.

He is a chelsea fan - which doesn't mean much on its own (O'Shea, Solskjaer were pool fans, Zaha an Arsenal fan, Owen, Carragher, Fowler were Everton fans, Terry was a United fan).

BUT - Chelsea are in the market for a left back - with Shaw the perfect age to replace Ashley Cole.

Shaw to Chelsea just seems to make to much sense for it not to happen. I would like the kid to end up at United, but gotta think if Chelsea make a move, that will be where he ends up.

KH25 wrote: »
    Money-wise I don't think the club will let Chelsea bully them. I believe it will ultimately be up to Shaw.

And he is a Chelsea fan. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've always said Fellaini would be a good signing for United, hasn't worked out so far but I still think he will come good and Mata will be a star so he has to get credit for them signings and also as you say bringing Januzaj into the team.

It's the tactics, the mentality and the way he has set up for some games that make me think he's out of his depth. The game against Sunderland was a recent example for me, United went 1-0 up and should have pushed on for a second and third goal to kill off the tie but they sat back and invited Sunderland onto them and ultimately payed for it.

With a few more signings though he deserves a chance to see what he can but it's just my opinion that he isn't man for the United job on what I've seen so far.

Fair point about the tactics he has been incredibly negative especially at home this season. United have never tried to hold on against teams like Sunderland and Southampton but I've felt on a number of occasions this season that he has little faith in the squad he has and as a result has gone ultra cautious when he shouldn't have.

Interisting to see how he will utilise Mata while keeping RVP and Rooney in the side.

• Advertisement

Shaw would come in and be first choice at a team playing in the champions league, if he goes to Chelsea he has to wait until Cole packs it in.

i'd be surprised if he doesn't end up at Chelsea.

He is a chelsea fan - which doesn't mean much on its own (O'Shea, Solskjaer were pool fans, Zaha an Arsenal fan, Owen, Carragher, Fowler were Everton fans, Terry was a United fan).

BUT - Chelsea are in the market for a left back - with Shaw the perfect age to replace Ashley Cole.

Shaw to Chelsea just seems to make to much sense for it not to happen. I would like the kid to end up at United, but gotta think if Chelsea make a move, that will be where he ends up.

Agreed.

A young player coming to Chelsea would usually be about money because playing time would be limited but as you say with Shaw he is a perfect replacement for Cole and would slot right in. I think Shaw will be a Chelsea player in the summer.

Shaw would come in and be first choice at a team playing in the champions league, if he goes to Chelsea he has to wait until Cole packs it in.

Cole has already been benched. He's pretty much finished as a first choice left back for Chelsea. Azpili is Mourinho's left back choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

thelad95 wrote: »
    Fair point about the tactics he has been incredibly negative especially at home this season. United have never tried to hold on against teams like Sunderland and Southampton but I've felt on a number of occasions this season that he has little faith in the squad he has and as a result has gone ultra cautious when he shouldn't have.

Interisting to see how he will utilise Mata while keeping RVP and Rooney in the side.

I think Paully's formation up at the top of the last page is probably the best way to get all three in the side,

20m for Shaw that's big money for a youngster,be savage if he ended up at OT though but as Mitch said though Chelsea might have something to say on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

beno619 wrote: »
    You are making excuses though, He's been unlucky but poor. Like I said he should get time but I won't beat around the bush when it comes to assessing his performance.

I have more faith/loyalty to United players that have delivered us trophies over the past few years than the new manager that we have regressed horribly under.

And you wont take into account any of the potential reasons for that regression, despite them staring you in the face.......

Cole has already been benched. He's pretty much finished as a first choice left back for Chelsea. Azpili is Mourinho's left back choice.

Or Dave, as he's known :P

TBH I don't think we will sign Shaw. But its encouraging to see a bid being put in. LB is a priority with Evra playing as he has been for years now. A bid now for a good CM and we're laughing.

Cole has already been benched. He's pretty much finished as a first choice left back for Chelsea.

Stop ruining my hopes!

Maybe Mata is his favourite player :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Or Azpillicrepuzpuleta

Stop ruining my hopes!

Maybe Mata is his favourite player :pac:

He's not the only one. :(

Anderson will wear the number 88 shirt for fiorentina and will have Andow on the back instead of Anderson

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement