Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's the club's money. How the club's money is spent will directly affect the long term success of the club. That is why fans of the club care.
    With the way the market is shaping up we have to splash the cash to get the world class players just like we did with Mata right now. The price tags going for players these days is mad but wait until the World Cup then we'll some mad price tags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

My ideal scenario now for Squad numbers is Mata 7 and Januzaj 11 next season.

I'd love someone like januzaj to get the 11 jersey. Hopefully wear it for a decade or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

300k would put him well apart from second highest paid in the league though that's the thing. It's just mad, I want him to stay obviously but it's a crazy thing to pay one player.

He's up with Messi and Ronaldo on that which is insane.

On Shaw and Cabaye, spend the money and get our season back on track, two very good players.

*And before someone points it out I realise it's just paper talk on the contract and may be untrue

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

GSPfan wrote: »
    So 300k a week is fact now is it? No one is even willing to doubt it?

I doubt it would be his basic wage, sounds way too high at his age. Maybe if the team wins enough he gets extra payments and his image rights may be valuable which could push figures up. Media love these figures 100, 150, 200, 250 now up to 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's the club's money. How the club's money is spent will directly affect the long term success of the club. That is why fans of the club care.

I think the club is aware of this, I'm pretty sure it's run by a whole load of business people who know what they can and can't afford. I think I'll leave them to worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

It's the glasers money mate. Less for them to line their pockets with now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Jaysus, one last twist before bed. Same friend has informed me that the player he believes Owen is referring to is actually Cabaye!!

master-t wrote: »
    Jaysus, one last twist before bed. Same friend has informed me that the player he believes Owen is referring to is actually Cabaye!!

Is he your football friend. ?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

The Club's money. Not the Glazer's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

300K a week is a lot but it's still a great deal for United from a football and a financial perspective.

With 18 months left on his contract his resale value is likely to at best half of what it would take to find a replacement, which in itself would be an extremely difficult task considering what he offers.

If Rooney signs, United can concentrate on the midfield and defence in summer.

Cabaye and Shaw will probably cost at least 45m, taking Moyes over 100m on 4 players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Imagine how hilarious it would be if, in one/two years time, Moyes was sacked and Mourinho took over.

What would happen to poor Juan then? :pac:

The possible bids and signings of Shaw and Cabaye is good news for the Champions League squad with both being available if signed.

Cabaye is a decent player. Takes free kicks and corners and scores screamers. Also likes to get stuck in. If its around £20 million I'd say that's fair enough. Newcastle love money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

20 mil is too much for Cabaye.

There's not a hope of getting him for less, he was reportedly being whored to PSG for 25 afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Friend...
    oooohhhhhhhhhh friend
    football friend

Couldn't resist it ;)

Not at all. The chap is a fantastic CM who can slot in straigt away and can play in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

He's well worth up to 25 IMO.

• Advertisement

In January? To United? To a club in need?
    I think it'll take that to get it over the line. Probably too much but fook it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If the got 35 million for Carroll. 20 million is the least it will cost for cabaye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Beggers can't be choosers, there is no value in the market.

About 5 million at first glance but if it was paid it would give a better chance of a top 4 finish so probably worth it.

Funny how Moyes is all over Europe yet the 3 bids confirmed and rumoured are all English based. Chancer getting free holidays.

I know odds when it comes to Football transfers are very, very unpredictable, BUT, Cabaye has shortened from 10s to 5/2 this evening to MUFC. PSG still fav but have drifted to 6/4.

He's still 1/2 on to stay. So make of that what you will :D

Bookies covering all ends.

PS - Luke Shaw now evens to MUFC and Chelsea after a flood of bets this evening - not surprising really given the bid announcement.

I find the Cabaye odds more intriguing however given the amount of money that would have been placed to bring that down to 5/2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

beno619 wrote: »
    Beggers can't be choosers, there is no value in the market.

**** value, we are loaded, let's buy loads of players!

God, this is all so exciting. Even the idea of bidding for Cabaye and Shaw is exciting. If it turns out it's true it is just mind blowing.

It really gives Ed Woodward a lot of respect back after an embarassing start. Moyes would maybe have more pressure on his head if things continue to be awful. But surely to god Mata, Cabaye, and Shaw would change things drastically.

Dream stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Wrong.

I've supported Newcastle 22 years and he's one of the best midfielders i've ever seen play for us.

One problem though is his best form has been as in a Number 10 type role.

Would he be played there at Man Utd? Nope.

He has played alongside Tiote plenty of times sure and he's pretty effective in a deeper role, but he is far more effective higher up the field.

That being said he'd still be a massive improvement on any of your midfielders.

Ashley don't sell cheap though so you'd be paying 25m+ for him imo. Is he worth it? In todays market I say yes.

The simple fact is if he wants to go there's no way we can keep him.

GSPfan wrote: »
    God, this is all so exciting. Even the idea of bidding for Cabaye and Shaw is exciting. If it turns out it's true it is just mind blowing.

It really gives Ed Woodward a lot of respect back after an embarassing start. Moyes would maybe have more pressure on his head if things continue to be awful. But surely to god Mata, Cabaye, and Shaw would change things drastically.

Dream stuff.

I would have been content today with just the confirmation of Mata. But these rumours of Shaw and possibly Cabaye are just extraordinary. If we got 1 of them I'd be over the fooking moon!

The fact we are possibly even bidding for them shows a positive step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

irishfeen wrote: »
    While 300k is far too much, I would rather Rooney getting back to his top form at United rather then any of our rivals - replacing him for similar quality could be near impossible.
    This is the thing. Who is good enough out there to replace him, actually want to go to us, and not for some insane fee? Whats more, we already know what hes like in a red shirt. Remember what happened to Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think the club is aware of this, I'm pretty sure it's run by a whole load of business people who know what they can and can't afford. I think I'll leave them to worry about it.

The idea that the people who run the club will always make the best decisions is wrong. You trust them completely if you want, I prefer to discuss it on this football discussion forum.
    Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

Do you think the wage budget for players at the club is infinite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

dahat wrote: »

That's painted on a massive golden mural in the City boardroom.

Exciting transfer window so far, I didn't think we'd really push for anyone but Mata is a great surprise.

Was at West Brom the other night, first time seeing Baines in the flesh. Looked solid but not amazing, Shaw is definitely more of a United signing in my opinion.

Sure f**k it, another one is emerging. Moyes was with Toni Kroos' agent tonight at the stadium. Apparently a contract stand off between Bayern and himself.

We don't need Kroos now do we?? This doesn't seem to be a realistic target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dahat wrote: »

Lets buy them all

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Sure f**k it, another one is emerging. Moyes was with Toni Kroos' agent tonight at the stadium. Apparently a contract stand off between Bayern and himself.

Kroos' agent is also Reus' agent :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lol. Thought you only believed what the players themselves say? Quite the change around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads I gotta say we're turning into a sign all the Number 10's club now...fcuk the wingers, we've got all the number 10's
    Rooney
    Mata
    Kagawa
    Janujaz

Cabaye
    Kroos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Everyone needs Kroos.

If I was his agent and there was a contract stand off then I would do everything possible to be seen talking to the manager of Manchester United. 99% likely his agent is trying to break the stand-off by flirting with Moyes. Saucy git.

Shouldn't have got my hopes up, the next 6 days will be unbearable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

If we could only sign one this window, Coentrao or Shaw, who would you prefer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

First game for Mata on Tuesday? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I haven't a clue what's going on and I love it.

Shouldn't have got my hopes up, the next 6 days will be unbearable

Ah to be honest the Mata signing is enough to satisfy us. Shaw would be fantastic, and any good CM on top of that would be orgasmic.

I haven't a clue what's going on and I love it.

David Moyes is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

b757 wrote: »
    First Mata game Tuesday? :)

It would want to be confirmed tomorrow if that were to happen I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

b757 wrote: »
    First Mata game Tuesday? :)

Unlikely that he would start, maybe last 20 min unless we are stuck:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

If we could only sign one this window, Coentrao or Shaw, who would you prefer?

Shaw for sure. Bonus being that most PL teams want him. He would be a huge coup. Highly linked with Chelsea though.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Lol. Thought you only believed what the players themselves say? Quite the change around.

Ah he's back. Dr Negative. We signed Mata in the Jan window, did you hear? Any thoughts? Happy man? Doubtful.

Christ you must be desperate for an arguement if your dragging up this from the summer. I believe what a player says over what a paper says in relation to an incident. This is correct most of the time and ive yet to be proved wrong. Is Wayne Rooney still a United player? Yes he is.

Did Thiago pick Barca because they were the only club talking to him and we never even got that far. Yeah he did.

What's your point?

Also, do you remember this from the other night?
    lordgoat wrote: »
    hahahahahaahahahah

we are a really really bad team. Get used to it folks!

Quite the change around today with your 'Matahorn' talk. Sit down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

And it'll be OGS back at OT. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement