Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Cleverley is questionable he is average but is English and decent he will be kept. But how you can want Vidic is gone is just bizarre. He was fantastic last season and this season he has just never looked fully fit. He is a leader, a warrior and our best defender by a distance losing him would be a mistake. I would like him kept around and used sparingly mainly for big games the defence is much stronger with him.

The chap wants out. I would sell him on for the cash and recruit in a new CB. He is an absolute legend, but when his hearts gone, not much you can about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I reckon we need a left back and a central midfielder right now.

In the summer we need a second left back, another central midfielder and probably a winger. A right back and maybe a striker or two could be required as well.

I don't think you can rip the team to shreds like that just to try and improve it, unless of course exits force your hand.

I'd be delighted with -

Garay In / Ferdinand Out

Top Striker In / Rooney Out (well I wouldn't be happy but expect it)

Baines In / Evra Out

Another midfielder in the Matic mould

Possibly further cover at full back also

Not huge changes to the first team if you get me, slowly repair it over the next two summers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

and the players I am hearing us linked with don't inspire much confidence in him either. A couple of big names that would improve us. A load of ok players that I would have considered good signings for him at Everton. But I don't have a link to back that up, so I'll wait til we actually sign some players before giving out more about him on that score.

Not pressing for names links etc

Are you hearing names that would at least provide some good alternative options in the short term lets say a cabaye type or are they names that are risky and unpredictable like solskjaer/Hernandez(success), Djemba Djemba (fail) were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Corvo wrote: »
    I don't think you can rip the team to shreds like that just to try and improve it, unless of course exits force your hand.

I'd be delighted with -

Garay In / Ferdinand Out

Top Striker In / Rooney Out (well I wouldn't be happy but expect it)

Baines In / Evra Out

Another midfielder in the Matic mould

Possibly further cover at full back also

Not huge changes to the first team if you get me, slowly repair it over the next two summers.
    The way I look at it - Evra and Rio are gone in the summer - think both are out of contract.

So that is a LB and CB required.

Buttner isn't good enough to be first choice LB - and imo neither is he good enough as second choice, and Moyes doesn't like Fabio, so that is a second left back needed.

Anderson has NO chance of staying imo, and we need a central midfielder anyway.

Giggs will likely retire.

None of Young, Nani or Valencia have performed, so could see one or two of them leaving. At least one new winger would be required.

I don't think United will want to lose any of the four attackers, but Rooney/RVP might force the issue - if both of them stay then Chico is out the door, imo.

Kagawa is another that could be gone, as we can't get him playing in our system.

Doing it all in one go isn't the most sensible - but the age profile or performance of the squad almost demands it. It is why it should have started in the summer. it is why I really REALLY think we should be doing business now to get started, but I ain't in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

brinty wrote: »
    Next get ball playing midfielders/attackers into the team...get rid of all bar Carrick...they don't score, don't provide assists, don't do much of anything, christ above every top team has a massive number of goals from midfield we're lucky to get 10

I don't get this kind of stuff at all. Carrack is 33 this year and will be on the wane before long. Fletcher has been decent since he came back. Fellaini is a very good player, didn't have a great start but will probably do well for United once he is over his surgery. Cleverley is capable of better than what he has shown lately and worth having around as a squad player.

These four players should be kept, with Anderson leaving and a top class midfielder being brought in. If Cleverley did leave too and a second replacement was brought, I'd be fine with that, but it's not realistic.

I don't know why people think it's sensible, or even possible, to ship out four midfielders and replace them all in one year, alongside all of the other transfers that the squad is going to have. It's ridiculous head in the clouds stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The chap wants out. I would sell him on for the cash and recruit in a new CB. He is an absolute legend, but when his hearts gone, not much you can about it.

Where are you getting this from? Wouldn't listen to his agent sprouting nonsense.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Not pressing for names links etc

Are you hearing names that would at least provide some good alternative options in the short term lets say a cabaye type or are they names that are risky and unpredictable like solskjaer/Hernandez(success), Djemba Djemba (fail) were

Two players are quality/potential quality - i think both have been linked in the press. Costa and Mangala.

Mangala I would be delighted with. Costa I see as only being of interest to United if they are preparing for Rooney/RVP to leave.

The rest are all average enough players that could do a job for us, but not players to make a real difference in the longer term. I'm not convinced they would even offer a significant short term fix, though one of them could, potentially, if he plays like he did 3 years ago before he went down the route of Nicky Butt in thinking the DM role was beneath him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

MagicIRL wrote: »

Can you provide me with a source that say's he wants out. If your going to link some tabloid nonsense don't bother we have heard every summer the last few years that Vidic want's out.

Also how much money exactly do you think you would get for an aging cb not much.

How can you say his heart is not in it where are you coming to this inclusion. When he get;s onto the pitch he try's his heart out. So unless you have talked to him i don't know how you can say his heart is not in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The lack of complaining re:my story about electrocuting a cat has confirmed my suspicions that ye're all Coronation Street watchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I had this discussion with homer but i heard and he did too that nothing was planned for start of window. It looks that way now.

I still think we might get someone but i think if nothing comes about by next week then that might be that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

SantryRed wrote: »
    The whole Zaha thing is weird for United, I just don't get it at all. I watched him in the flesh, tear Watford a new arse in the Play Off Final, and the lad has some potential. If Moyes doesn't want to play him, why he didn't send him back on a year's loan to Palace is baffling, like what they did when signing Foster from Stoke and giving him two years on loan at Watford. Zaha would have got a whole year under his belt playing Premier League football (something that hugely benefitted Foster), but instead he's left playing with the reserves and not even close to getting a run out for the first team. :confused:

Its bad management quite frankly. Zaha is an expensive asset and he is sitting on the shelf rusting. If Moyes doesn't rate him then fair enough (though I wish he would apply those same standards to Valencia for once), Moyes is the manager and its up to him whether he plays or not. But don't just let him rot away on the sidelines, send him out on loan, sell him, do something with him for gods sake.

Its not thayt United are a small business with only one person working on transfers at a time tbh. We should be well capable of working on multiple deals at a time. So the idea that working on a Garay deal takes away from time spent on other deals is flawed seriously imo.

You would think that wouldn't you. But then, last summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Carrick should be a squad player/not a first team player, what i mean is we need to buy a few midfielders, it will cost but they need to be better than Carrick.

There is a lot of room for better players and younger players in their twenties.

I had this discussion with homer but i heard and he did too that nothing was planned for start of window. It looks that way now.

I still think we might get someone but i think if nothing comes about by next week then that might be that

A big reason I am in the Moyes and Woodward are useless/out bracket. to apparently learn nothing from the summer farce is inexcusable.

It was January 25th when Zaha signed for United.
    January 5th for Vidic.
    January 10th for Evra.

RobertKK wrote: »
    It was January 25th when Zaha signed for United.

For the following season - and the move for him started well before that date. There was no reason to get that deal done early in January, as we weren't taking him in January.,

• Advertisement

Corvo wrote: »
    If the Garay deal is true, fair enough, it's a decent addition to the squad and we have no idea how Moyes views him yet (i.e. First teamer or cover for say Jones)

I have not seen much of Garay so i can't comment but if he is signed as a squad player i will be annoyed. Our problem is we have enough squad players and not enough quality in our starting 11.

Cabaye is somebody i would not mind. He would not be the answer but he would be a good option until the summer. In the summer get in a top cm player and we will be a great shape. Move Cabaye as a squad player and ease out the likes of Anderson and Giggs as squad players. If we started next season with Cabaye, Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley and a big midfield signing i would be delighted.

A big reason I am in the Moyes and Woodward are useless/out bracket. to apparently learn nothing from the summer farce is inexcusable.

Things can change quickly in transfer market. You never know, but for me when i hear somthing i dont get excited or caeried away. Just see how things develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Two players are quality/potential quality - i think both have been linked in the press. Costa and Mangala.

Mangala I would be delighted with. Costa I see as only being of interest to United if they are preparing for Rooney/RVP to leave.

The rest are all average enough players that could do a job for us, but not players to make a real difference in the longer term. I'm not convinced they would even offer a significant short term fix, though one of them could, potentially, if he plays like he did 3 years ago before he went down the route of Nicky Butt in thinking the DM role was beneath him.

Interesting... whos the player?

For the following season - and the move for him started well before that date. There was no reason to get that deal done early in January, as we weren't taking him in January.,

Yeah, I edited my post as I was searching for other January signings.

Others were far earlier.

The fact Zaha has not gone on loan is just bad management. He has shown no sign of giving him games he is wasting a year of his development playing in the reserves.

• Advertisement

Interesting... whos the player?

If I could name him, I would, but it wouldn't be fair to the person that gave the info, he asked for it not to be spread around, along with some other info.

Regarding singing section.

Lads anyone with season ticket who want to be in singing section for fulham game ring ticket office asap.

Tickets still available but not many

If I could name him, I would, but it wouldn't be fair to the person that gave the info, he asked for it not to be spread around, along with some other info.

Awww damn your loyalty! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Assuming Rio and Evra go in the summer and a big possibility of Giggs retiring and Vidic leaving. Who does that leave in the leadership department? Rooney who's not commited, Fletcher who's been out for so long and is no means a guarantee and then Carrick who doesn't strike me as being a captain type.
    We need to keep either Rio or Vidic and if Rooney can be convinced to stay long term he might just be our new captain.
    Potentially a lot of experience won't be on the field or dressing room next season. That could have as big of an impact as the coaching staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I have not seen much of Garay so i can't comment but if he is signed as a squad player i will be annoyed. Our problem is we have enough squad players and not enough quality in our starting 11.

Cabaye is somebody i would not mind. He would not be the answer but he would be a good option until the summer. In the summer get in a top cm player and we will be a great shape. Move Cabaye as a squad player and ease out the likes of Anderson and Giggs as squad players. If we started next season with Cabaye, Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley and a big midfield signing i would be delighted.

I honestly think (depending on midfield acquisitions) that Moyes will push Jones into the center back berth permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Christ, no Rooney or RVP again tomorrow, could be another defeat on the cards.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

s.welstead wrote: »
    Assuming Rio and Evra go in the summer and a big possibility of Giggs retiring and Vidic leaving. Who does that leave in the leadership department? Rooney who's not commited, Fletcher who's been out for so long and is no means a guarantee and then Carrick who doesn't strike me as being a captain type.
    We need to keep either Rio or Vidic and if Rooney can be convinced to stay long term he might just be our new captain.
    Potentially a lot of experience won't be on the field or dressing room next season. That could have as big of an impact as the coaching staff.

This +1 i was wondering who'd be next in line for captain..
    Rooney, if it might kep hold of him
    Jones, if he's let just be a CB
    Evans, dependable but boring
    RVP, why not if he stays and Rooney goes
    Otherwise we're looking at appointing a new signing as club captain

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Christ, no Rooney or RVP again tomorrow, could be another defeat on the cards.......

With Chelsea away coming up losing tomorrow is not an option it's a must win.

De Gea
    Rafael---Evans---Vidic--Evra
    Carrick--Fletcher
    Januzaj
    Kagawa
    Welbeck-Chico

Wilson, Valencia, Giggs, Cleverley, Buttner, Smalling, Lindergaard.

That is what I would do - we HAVE to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

De Gea
    Carrick--Fletcher
    Januzaj
    Kagawa
    Welbeck-Chico

Yeah, I'd be happy with that under the circumstances. Play Welbeck and Kagawa behind Hernandez.

• Advertisement

Ye for me.

DDG

Raf Vidic Evans Nobody

Carrick Kagawa Fletcher

Janjuaz

Wellbeck Chico

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Quite the mix of players at Lucas Leiva's birthday party

1545700_604110039655906_1097183541_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Wilson?

bullvine wrote: »
    Wilson?

James Wilson. Very young, but promising striker.

If we are starting Welbeck and Chico, without RVP or Rooney available, he is the only striker of worth at the club, unless we put Macheda on the bench...and I would put one of them on the bench - have to have a striker on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

bullvine wrote: »
    Wilson?

James Wilson

If we are starting Welbeck and Chico, without RVP or Rooney available, he is the only striker of worth at the club, unless we put Macheda on the bench...and I would put one of them on the bench - have to have a striker on the bench.

And that is why we'll not have Welbs and Chico starting in tandem
    4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1

brinty wrote: »
    And that is why we'll not have Welbs and Chico starting in tandem
    4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1

IMO - Moyes can't hold back tomorrow. We have to go for it.

IMO - Moyes can't hold back tomorrow. We have to go for it.

Oh i don't disagree at all Mitch and he should be going for it but i don't think he'll start the 2 of them together..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Quite the mix of players at Lucas Leiva's birthday party

1545700_604110039655906_1097183541_n.png

Here's the non-photoshopped original! :D:D
    1604894_715050175186374_1752646929_n.jpg
    Kagawa sneak like ninja inside Lucas home. Get under dine-a-table and mix laxative in the dinner. All of them no come out of washroom for 2 days.

This what Kagawa do ! I one sneaky son-of-bitch.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Al Capwned wrote: »

I wonder if Suarez pulled Raf's hair at some stage in the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

A must win game.

To lose 3 games in a row at OT is unthinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

yeah, remember him now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Al Capwned wrote: »

Reminds me of this website that this phantom asian "fan" called Kokweeuk had back about 12 or 13 years ago. Loads of super-imposed photos on it - with titles like "Japp Stam come visit me my home" and a picture of this family on the back of an elephant and jaap Stam's head superimposed on one of the people on the elephant. Or "Michael Owen stealing a handbag" - same sort of thing, Michael Owens head superimposed on the body of someone picking up a handbag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sure why does it matter if we lose. Moyes is going nowhere, right? :(

Sure why does it matter if we lose. Moyes is going nowhere, right? :(

If we win its easier to read this thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

zerks wrote: »
    I wonder if Suarez pulled Raf's hair at some stage in the night?

That explains Raf's hat!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

De Gea
    Carrick--Fletcher
    Januzaj
    Kagawa
    Welbeck-Chico

Be interesting to see if Wilson does get the bench I doubt it. Hasn't been tearing the reserves up just yet. I think it'll be one up top and I think Valencia will start. But it's a must win game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At least Lawro still believes in your potential

2jcg1lf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Robbie Savage comments about the Current Utd Squad.
    Makes Interesting reading and surprised not mentioned yet.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25665649

Contains a lot of truths, 200M he reckons utd need to spend to correct the squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement