Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Signings wont mean much if we continue to adopt the tactics we currently do and keep going with this stupid attitude of trying to just hold onto leads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Signings wont mean much if we continue to adopt the tactics we currently do and keep going with this stupid attitude of trying to just hold onto leads.

If you can defend thats league winning **** right there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's great that Moyes signed Mata. It's nearly like something out of a Football Manager game.

But being able to recognise a great player and being able to use them is two different things; he has to change how he organises the team now. No point having a world class player if we are still unable to win the big games.

He has made me believe he can bring in a great player; he still has a way to work before I believe he can actually use one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

maybe moyes doesnt fancy the current crop and will feel more comfortable when he signs the players he wants..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

n32 wrote: »
    Last season we had the league all but won by the end of february and the season turned into a bit of an anticlimax. For the last few weeks of the season there was nothing all that exciting (until the retirement saga). Even though the football has been chronic this season , its been way more exciting to follow us this year! Its been a voyage into the unknown compared to the usual story where we would win every week.

Yeah with the signing of Mata now I'm hopeful of a rebuild and change of style beginning cos even though we were winning the past few seasons on the whole our football has been sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Moyes kind of reminds me of playing manager on Fifa 14.

You pick united, you are happy to get rid of a lot of the players but no one really wants the one you would like gone.
    You buy players like Vidal, Mata, Kroos and Shaw.

The point is Moyes is not happy with the team and it is clear he wants big changes and big named players coming in.
    With Fergie - Cleverley would do, half a season in and Moyes is looking at replacements like Vidal and Kroos, clear gulf in class for the better.

At the moment Moyes is playing Fifa 14 in real life in terms of players a normal fan would like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

I ve been critical of Moyes tactical approach so far but in fairness to him he has been without vital players for long stretches this season and hasnt had a chance to get any sort of continuity of team selection. Maybe he wont be as likely to try and defend a lead when he has a full team to pick from. He s made a stab at addressing our midfield and left back problems and it looks like he is going to tie down Rooney. We re only 6 points off Liverpool who have had such an ''amazing'' season so it cant be that disastrous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Cardiff defending v dodgy today:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I would shocked be if Mata signing isn't part of plans to play better, more expansive in the medium term.

Short term it probably won't happen straight away, not with Carrick out, Fellaini hasn't been playing leaving slim pickings in midfield. Having Mata w/ Rooney and RVP back should see improvements in chances created and goals scored just thanks to player talent. It's going to take time for everything to come together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

My God. People are actually praising him for making the most obvious transfer in recent years. Forget the fact that he has shown no tactical awareness to date, forget the fact that he has shown that he is somewhat out of his depth...he's signed Mata!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Ugh Cleverley most likely back in the side for Cardiff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

My God. People are actually praising him for making the most obvious transfer in recent years. Forget the fact that he has shown no tactical awareness to date, forget the fact that he has shown that he is somewhat out of his depth...he's signed Mata!
    False and wrong and bullshìt.
    We get it, you hate Moyes but don't fabricate stuff to level at him.

I don't hate Moyes at all, what a stupid thing to say. But the sudden change in atmosphere here compared to post penalty shoot out is embarrassing and completely undermines the credibility of this forum.

And the mata transfer was obvious. Despite what you'd like to think.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10596972/Juan-Mata-arrival-sparks-David-Moyess-Bundesliga-transfer-tour-to-transform-struggling-Manchester-United.html

Interesting read,United were worried if the Mata deal failed and was made public it would be more embarrassment for the club.
    That is why intermediaries were used - to find out what money Chelsea would want and anything else - Mourinho had one stipulation, he wanted time to sign a replacement.
    So for a change it all went fairly smoothly.

I don't hate Moyes at all, what a stupid thing to say. But the sudden change in atmosphere here compared to post penalty shoot out is embarrassing and completely undermines the credibility of this forum.

Moods change, but that undermines nothing.

We can live in the past and be thinking of Phil Jones penalty, but what is the point, one can only look forward and with hope.

Mata transfer was not obvious. How often do Chelsea sell to United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Can Manchester United & David Moyes attract the best players?
    Yes.

Are the Glazers willing to spend a significant amount of money on players?
    Yes.

Honestly, if this time last year someone said we would have signed Fellaini and Mata, and see Januzaj emerge as a potentially world class player, we'd all be over the bloody moon.

With Rooney, Van Persie, Mata slotting into the side, and Fellaini hopefully slowing the form he is capable off, hopefully we can have a strong second half to the season.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

So we should feel the same as after the penalty shoot out when we sign a quality player?

There truly are some odd posts made in here.

Fair enough.

I am completely miserable we signed Mata. Ohh misery you taste so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Of course it's not embarrassing - people were upset after the defeat to Sunderland, and made that obvious on here.
    The same people are now overjoyed with the signing of a fantastic player.

It's not embarrassing. It's people reacting to two seperate issues in isolation. I don't think anyone in here feels that we're gonna win all our games now because Mata has signed, simply that it's good news, and a great signal of intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

n32 wrote: »
    Last season we had the league all but won by the end of february and the season turned into a bit of an anticlimax. For the last few weeks of the season there was nothing all that exciting (until the retirement saga). Even though the football has been chronic this season , its been way more exciting to follow us this year! Its been a voyage into the unknown compared to the usual story where we would win every week.

Ha ha that is a ridiculous attempt at putting a positive spin on things. This seasons sham has been more exciting than a team cantering to the title??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

With 'fans' like u moyes doesn't stand a chance. Get slayed when he signs a world class player to improve the team and would have got slayed f he signed know one. Fellaini, rvp and Rooney all out injured. Take rvp out of last seasons team not sure we would have won the league. With the likes of cleverly and young in mf moyes hasn't had a chance to put his stamp on things...hopefully now he can.

Expect that **** for a pool fan but not from a true utd fan....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

And the mata transfer was obvious.
    People are actually praising him for making the most obvious transfer in recent years.

I assume you made a handsome profit from backing such an "obvious" transfer when it was available at great odds before the story of the original interest broke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

niallo24 wrote: »
    Ha ha that is a ridiculous attempt at putting a positive spin on things. This seasons sham has been more exciting than a team cantering to the title??

Are you an angry city fan cos you didnt sign mata??

Manchester is red son :D

This should be called the flavour of the month forum. After some bad results there's a wave of intolerance against moyes and all the stupid "thankers" are out in force to lay praise upon those who hang him out to dry. And then he signs Mata, and suddenly all is forgiven. Lambast the man that is still criticising our manager.

I feel sorry for the man because he's had to deal with some terrible players this season. The effort against multiple teams this year has been shameful. But that doesn't hide the fact that Moyes has looked like a deer in the headlights. He has been found out for what he is, a manager, still trying to find his feet in the game. If he had left Everton to a club of similar stature, but who had some money to spend, he could have furthered his career, under slightly less scrutiny. But no, he was thrown in at the deep end. Not his fault really, but that's irrelevant. He's not good enough a manager to take the reigns of one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Making the obvious transfer is one thing, now how's he going to fit him into the team? Making the tough decisions will make or break moyes. Has he got the balls to sell the likes of evra, Valencia, young, cleverly and Hernandez? I think not.

Go back to the start of this forum and you'll see it as a rollercoaster of inconsistency, except for a couple of people who are not wearing blinkers, and know that for he sake of the club, moyes needs to go...or...make some big decisions and prove that's he's not the tactical overachiever I believe him to be.

keano2012 wrote: »
    With 'fans' like u moyes doesn't stand a chance. Get slayed when he signs a world class player to improve the team and would have got slayed f he signed know one. Fellaini, rvp and Rooney all out injured. Take rvp out of last seasons team not sure we would have won the league. With the likes of cleverly and young in mf moyes hasn't had a chance to put his stamp on things...hopefully now he can.

Expect that **** for a pool fan but not from a true utd fan....

Read back. Did I slay him for signing mata? People thanking you for putting words in my mouth just shows how ridiculous the posters on this forum are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

Read back. Did I slay him for signing mata? People thanking you for putting words in my mouth just shows how ridiculous the posters on this forum are.

U were implying it ya....look jog on over to the lpool forum.....clearly where u belong....give moyes support how is ever gonna succeed when even his own fans knock him.seriously man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This should be called the flavour of the month forum. After some bad results there's a wave of intolerance against moyes and all the stupid "thankers" are out in force to lay praise upon those who hang him out to dry. And then he signs Mata, and suddenly all is forgiven. Lambast the man that is still criticising our manager.

Myself, Adox, Headshot and probably others have still been critical of Moyes in the last few days and we haven't been lambasted for it. The reason people don't like your posts is not because you are critical of Moyes, but rather because you are doing it in a dickheadish way.

Keano, look back over about 40 pages before mata was signed and you may have to tell about 30 or so other posters to jog on over to the Liverpool forum too.

I must ask the question, would you support any old sap who ferguson made the new manager? I mean what it is exactly that moyes has done to make you think he's the man for the job?

Or is if just blind faith. We should automatically support whoever is in the job, just because he's now a man Utd manager?

I want to see him do well because he is the manager of the club I have supported since I was a small boy. The club I have watched live close to 300 times. I would love to come back on to this forum and say, hey, I'll put my hands up - he truly has surprised me. We're back where we belong - and we have a gent in charge.

Cause that's what he is, a gent. But the fact remains, he's not qualified for the job nor has he shown anything yet to suggest that he's a man who knows what he's at...a man with a plan.

And to the smart arses calling me out for calling the transfer obvious...I didn't mean the eventuality, I mean the player was an obvious transfer target after being out of favour at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

The right offer and out of respect for the player.

Wenger always complains.

Definitely think that Mourinho is taking the short-term view here and hoping that United with Mata will put a dent in Arsenal's and maybe even City's title bid this season.

If United had beaten Chelsea on Sunday, I don't think this transfer would have taken place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

In which Universe is Mata to United an obvious transfer?

Sure isn't this one anyway. What a strange thing to say.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Myself, Adox, Headshot and probably others have still been critical of Moyes in the last few days and we haven't been lambasted for it. The reason people don't like your posts is not because you are critical of Moyes, but rather because you are doing it in a dickheadish way.

Lol. Dickheadish because I'm not part of the forum love in? You're okay, I'd rather just give my opinion and leave it at that. Curiously though, what exactly is so Dickheadish about what I'm saying? It's cause I'm insulting the forum isn't it? And the constant inconsistent opinions that are thrown around.

Several months ago I came on here and outlined my reasons for not wanting moyes in the job...I was lambasted then too...but since then, more and more people are starting to see that the man needs to prove himself, and fast. I

• Advertisement

Sure isn't this one anyway. What a strange thing to say.

In the universe where every Tom dick and Harry has spoken about it since pre-season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

The person might mean that Mata was an obvious target, which he was, but of course the transfer was not obvious. I have not heard of many people that thought it would happen.

In the universe where every Tom dick and Harry has spoken about it since pre-season.

I for one am glad of our new Dicky Pride overlord.

Enlighten us with your wisdom. Tell us what we should be doing. I'm just glad we now have someone on the forum to point out all the wrong ways we have been getting behind the team this season.

Pens and paper at the ready guys...

sigmundv wrote: »
    The person might mean that Mata was an obvious target, which he was, but of course the transfer was not obvious. I have not heard of many people that thought it would happen.

Except Future Guy, he was all over this from the get go. He totally nailed it.

Lol. Dickheadish because I'm not part of the forum love in? You're okay, I'd rather just give my opinion and leave it at that. Curiously though, what exactly is so Dickheadish about what I'm saying? It's cause I'm insulting the forum isn't it? And the constant inconsistent opinions that are thrown around.

I wouldn't be able explain all the nuances of how you are acting like a dickhead, I'm not an internet discussion forum counsellor. It's things like making over the top statements, responding aggressively to anybody who disagrees with you, making generalised criticisms of everybody who posts on the thread in every conversation. The majority of posters have the odd person they don't get on with and respond tetchily to, but you seem to have a problem with everybody who posts in the thread.
    Several months ago I came on here and outlined my reasons for not wanting moyes in the job...I was lambasted then too...but since then, more and more people are starting to see that the man needs to prove himself, and fast.

Yeah, you acted like a knob then too. You were far from the only one who was critical of Moyes from early on, but the others who have been critical of him have managed to not act like a knob while doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Be2__CPCcAAn9an.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Since preseason? When Mata was coming of his second season in a row as the Chelsea player of the year. This transfer wasnt obvious at any point up till the last week.

I agree Moyes hasnt looked like the right person for the job but this signing hopefully followed by one or two more will influence my opinion. He has been criticised for failing to fill the holes in our team, he appears to be moving to rectify this and as such ill give him some leeway.

Moyes has time on his side, this season has been a shambles from a performance point of view but if Moyes shows a ruthless streak in stripping out deadwood and replacing them wiyh quality like Mata then the man deserves his time.

I must be a knob so. Apologies, not my intention at all. Sometimes on Internet forums you just feel like you're arguing with everyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Did airbag get a holiday as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Aw lads, I get hammered on a night out, come back and see that Juan Mata has given his first interview to the club and someone posts a song from my favourite artist, Elton John. **** it, I'm emotional as ****!

• Advertisement

"...he is a very good friend, an amazing goalkeeper and a top guy. He was important for me in terms of coming here."

He might not have fully delivered on Thiago but good man David De Gea, great work young man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Did airbag get a holiday as well?

Was thinking that too, come back guys we love you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Aw lads, I get hammered on a night out, come back and see that Juan Mata has given his first interview to the club and someone posts a song from my favourite artist, Elton John. **** it, I'm emotional as ****!

Haha gowan the Mars Bar!
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    "...he is a very good friend, an amazing goalkeeper and a top guy. He was important for me in terms of coming here."

He might not have fully delivered on Thiago but good man David De Gea, great work young man!

I very much look forward to watching that bromance blossom.

De Gea is a hero with the work he puts in attracting Spanish players to the club. It looks like he really loves the club, hopefully that means he won't have his head turned so easily if Barrca/Real come calling.

I'm also very happy if Mata gets no.7 jersey coz at least people can spell his name unless they are pure thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

At the risk of sounding slightly optimistic (What can I say, Mata has changed me....) Midweek fixtures:

United vs Cardiff
    Liverpool vs Everton
    Spurs vs City.

There's a decent chance we can close the gap to 4th this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

1012033_395772520567476_891091349_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

You are wrong.

No wage restrictions from Uefa.

From the PL perspective we can only increase total wages by 4m per year, plus whatever increases in commercial income.

With the rising of commercial income at United seemingly never ending, I don't think it is a worry.

As per FFP rules, Wages should be less than 70% of the total revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

he isn't a bad player, he can be a very good one.

My issue would be that I believe we are in for Vidal/Gundogan, and I think Guarin is a player that would block that kind of transfer.

That said, if we finish out side of the CL I cant see us getting Vidal/Gundogan, and Guarin could help us get to the CL

He can be a very good one but he isn't.

He is very frustrating player and losses possession all the time. He played many games as a attacking midfielder and also as a RW for Inter. Very frustrating player and he wouldn't improve us. He would get few goals and assists for sure but his overall game is so poor which is because of him losing possession I can see lots of collective sighs at Old trafford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's all a bit confusing now, after all rival fans have spent the last few months saying united have no money to spend and players wouldn't want to sign anyways because moyes has a bad cv:rolleyes: Now for a lb and cm

Not just rival fans.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement