Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

lordgoat wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if Wilson does get the bench I doubt it. Hasn't been tearing the reserves up just yet. I think it'll be one up top and I think Valencia will start. But it's a must win game.

Well of course, you got to have Valencia in there! We aren't the same team without Antonio Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

mike65 wrote: »
    At least Lawro still believes in your potential

2jcg1lf.jpg

Oh god, that's us getting relegated now. That plonker :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ok so the positive response to my Winnie The Pooh Transfer Rating System yesterday was overwhelming, so I thought I would include two in today's report. I imagine this will get old fast, so I don't think I'll be doing it every day, but I'll try get one out for every major story or at least until it's run its course.

For those who missed yesterday, I am going to try and round-up the transfer news, give my opinion on how likely it is to happen, how the deal would effect us, and how excited I would be about it. I'm trying to stick to reports where someone we can blame has said a deal is done, so perhaps we can make a "Transfer-Muppet blacklist" at the end of this.

The rating system I will use will be the Winnie The Pooh system, where I use characters from Winnie The Pooh in the following positivity scale:

Eeyore:

Eeyore_zpsa61a3837.jpg

Utterly depressed. We have made no moves and we won't either, oh god we're not going to make top 4 are we?

Rabbit:

Rabbit_zpsd0e4e12f.jpg

Pissed off. Why are we not making moves? Other teams are making moves and we should be too!

Pooh:

WinniethePooh1_zps245554fc.jpg

Content. I knew we wouldn't make any moves, I guess its time to hope RVP can drag us over the line.

Piglet:

Piglet2_zpsfead3557.jpg

Happy. Hey! We made a move! Thats more than I expected so hopefully it has the desired effect.

Tigger:

Tigger_zps3b652424.jpg

Delighted. We signed a bloody midfielder! We did it! Oh god we actually did it!

The 2nd in the series, today's Winnie The Pooh Transfer Report will involve claims from Portgual that we have a deal done for Ezequiel Garay, and that we are eyeing up Nemanja Matic.

Portuguese journalist Goncalo Lopes has claimed we have agreed a deal for Garay and it is a done deal.

https://twitter.com/_GoncaloLopes/status/421558744645132288

He says Garay will arrive in June.

What type of player?

A skilful CB, Garay is one of a long list of players who's career seemed to stall after an ill advised move to Real Madrid where he developed his bench warming skills. Garay is a good defender who likes to play a bit of ball as well. He has been having a very good season in Portugal. He is Homer's favourite player of all time.

What are the chances of signing him?

Actually, very good. If you believe the player himself, then Fergie had a deal like this done last summer, but Moyes pulled the plug. So apparently Moyes now wants him, and he hasn't told us to do one, which is a very good sign. €18m the reported figure, a fair price.

Happiness rating were deal to go through:

Pooh
    WinniethePooh1_zps245554fc.jpg

CB is not a immediate priority, but I would definitely like to see this guy in a United shirt soon, he could be just what we need if Rio and Vidic bail in the summer.

The Mirror claim we are also in for Nemanja Matic from Benfica, because we're such good mates they don't mind if we take all their players, not like those pricks at Dortmund who gave us their best player and now won't talk to us any more, so unfair.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-eye-nemanja-matic-2851082

Matic has said he wants to pay in the Premier League, and having been discarded by Chelsea in the David Luiz deal, I don't think he'll go back to them, but Man City are a very real threat here. The figure is apparently £20m, which for me is a no-brainer.

What type of player?

Matic can do it all as far as midfield players are concerned. He can graft in the middle or create from deep, he has a knack for scoring outrageous goals, he is also 25 years old. Want.

What are the chances of signing him?

This all depends on how serious we are about him. If we put in a proper bid this window, and soon, I think he will be ours. If we piss around Man City might decide they want him to further embarrass their riches regarding midfielders.

Happiness rating were deal to go through:

Piglet
    Piglet2_zpsfead3557.jpg

Not quite Tigger status because I think we need more than one player, make no mistake though, this would be a very happy Piglet.

Happiness Rating were both deals to go through:

Tigger
    Tigger_zps3b652424.jpg

Were we to sign a CM who can come right in and improve us but is still young and has bags of potential, AND lock up a talented CB for the summer when we will for sure need one, I would be Tigger-happy, give me Coentrao as well and I'd be Tigger on MDMA.

Current overall happiness rating:

Eeyore Eeyore_zpsa61a3837.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

This is the table with his predictions from the start of the year. Gives where we would be if we had matched his predictions. Does it every week on BBC webiste against a celebrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

If Swansea do us at home again serious questions have to be asked. I'm very worried without Rooney in that team.

Looks like we are gonna be relying on Janzuaj again because Kagawa hasn't let his presence be felt in the team as of yet. Nani and Young are a big loss creative wise. Hoping for another patchy win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

David Moyes says Manchester United supporters have 'never had it so bad'.

Telegraph Sport remembers some of the darkest days they have had to endure

Manchester United 0 Manchester City 1
    Division One: April 27, 1974

Bournemouth 2 Manchester United 0
    FA Cup: Jan 7, 1984

Manchester United 1 Crystal Palace 2
    Division One: Dec 9, 1989

Ta-Ra-Fergie_2784401a.jpg

Manchester United 1 Queens Park Rangers 4
    Division One: Jan 1, 1992

Liverpool 2 Manchester United 0
    Division One: April 26, 1992

Barcelona 4 Manchester United 0
    Champions League: Nov 2, 1994

Malcolm Glazer takes controlling share of club
    May 12, 2005

Benfica 2 Manchester United 1
    Champions League: Dec 7, 2005

Manchester United 1 Manchester City 6
    Premier League: Oct 23, 2011

Sunderland 2 Manchester United 1
    League Cup: Jan 7, 2014

Telegraph

Feel better? Or Worse? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

United should go all out and spend 60m on Arturo Vidal and 40m on Gundogen, 100m is alot of money in the short term but it would be cheap in the longterm for what it would do for us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

60m would have got Fabregas and they wouldnt do that so, no chance vidal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

syngindub wrote: »
    Robbie Savage comments about the Current Utd Squad.
    Makes Interesting reading and surprised not mentioned yet.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25665649

Contains a lot of truths, 200M he reckons utd need to spend to correct the squad.

Already posted, very recently too.

Telegraph

Feel better? Or Worse? :pac:

I think the defeat by Fulham straight after the Liverpool 4-1 in 2009 was pretty bad, in fairness, even if we were still 4 points clear in the table at the time, it looked like we were gonna be caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Interesting article in 442 magazine this month about bayern and how they are run. The men making the big decisions for bayern are uli hoeness , karl heinz rumminegge and matthias sammer. These 3 have the best interests of the club at heart but are also shrewd when it comes to balancing the financial side if things. It would depress to you to read it and compare bayern to us. Instead of having football men making the big decisions we have a bunch of business men who seem as if they were recruited on the basis of their ability to attract sponsors.
    the most interesting part of the article was the debate the 3 of them had with heynckes about signing javi martinez. None of them wanted to spend 40m but in the end they asked heynckes ,will he make us a stronger team? Heynckes said he was one of the best in the business so they signed him. That mentality of always looking to better the team is sadly lacking at united at present

n32 wrote: »
    Interesting article in 442 magazine this month about bayern and how they are run. The men making the big decisions for bayern are uli hoeness , karl heinz rumminegge and matthias sammer. These 3 have the best interests of the club at heart but are also shrewd when it comes to balancing the financial side if things. It would depress to you to read it and compare bayern to us. Instead of having football men making the big decisions we have a bunch of business men who seem as if they were recruited on the basis of their ability to attract sponsors.

I am not so sure I fancy any ex United players being involved in the running of the club though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

bullvine wrote: »
    I am not so sure I fancy any ex United players being involved in the running of the club though :)

Let Eric run the whole lot, CEO, Manager, the works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

bullvine wrote: »

Bar the guys who've become coaches, Charlton, Robson, McQueen, Schmeichel,Coppell and a few others could all do it. Out of the last few years, Gary Neville would be good I'd reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sure why does it matter if we lose. Moyes is going nowhere, right? :(

Dunno, with no Rooney or Van Persie tomorrow there's a decent chance we'll lose tomorrow. Then after that, we're away to Chelsea and that's nearly a guaranteed loss with the way we're playing and Mourinho's record at home for Chelsea.

Would Moyes survive 5 straight losses?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

J. Marston wrote: »
    [/B]

Dunno, with no Rooney or Van Persie tomorrow there's a decent chance we'll lose tomorrow. Then after that, we're away to Chelsea and that's nearly a guaranteed loss with the way we're playing and Mourinho's record at home for Chelsea.

Would Moyes survive 5 straight losses?

Is this the general consensus for tomorrow? I think we'll win it. Won't be pretty but I still think we'll win the game. Unfortunately I agree theres little change of getting anything at Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

If Moyes persists with 4-4-2, we will find it very difficult tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Home from a exam come on here and see Rooney is out.

wtf?

somebody is taking the piss at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

3 points tomorrow, 3 points at the bridge, I saw it in a vision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

wtf?

He's been sent for warm weather recuperation according to SSN.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Starting to wonder if the next time I see RVP play which jersey he will be wearing at this stage

JRant wrote: »
    He's been sent for warm weather recuperation according to SSN.

Cheers.

when will we ever get a break with our top players being out?

so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

wtf?

Ya Rooney is gone for the sun,

Also was reading in one of the rags today that RVP spent a bit his recovery time at PSV,he must have been left go home for Xmas because I find it strange that with the facilities at Carrington you would think everything is in place to get him back fit.

wtf?

Gone on a holiday with the family and a coach, warmer weather.

If we can get him back for Chelsea it will be worth it

kryogen wrote: »

I''ll take 4. Not greedy me:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Starting to wonder if the next time I see RVP play which jersey he will be wearing at this stage

Been thinking the same thing too, aswell as Nani.

Nani seems to have just completely vanished off the face of the earth :confused:

I''ll take 4. Not greedy me:)

Na 6, put the ****s up people a bit ;)

Seriously though, big result against Chelsea (after beating Swansea obv) could change things dramatically, moral would shoot up, players would be playing with confidence, could be a great springboard

Ya Rooney is gone for the sun,

Also was reading in one of the rags today that RVP spent a bit his recovery time at PSV,he must have been left go home for Xmas because I find it strange that with the facilities at Carrington you would think everything is in place to get him back fit.

You are spot on he did go to Holland.

Funny just see pic that he arrived back today

@kryo still in Man Utd top anyway:p

Bdow6BzIgAA_92I.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

While I admire optimism, given the form we're in and the fact we've only 1 win against the top 8 this season, I can't see how anyone would think we're going to beat Chelsea. If we hold them to a draw, I'd be happy...

Na 6, put the ****s up people a bit ;)

Seriously though, big result against Chelsea (after beating Swansea obv) could change things dramatically, moral would shoot up, players would be playing with confidence, could be a great springboard

at least our hoodoo at Stamford bridge was broken last season. Chelsea for me have upped a gear in past month or so. Before that I feel bit more confident.

First lets worry about Swansea. Every game seems be Cup final at minute.

• Advertisement

Been thinking the same thing too, aswell as Nani.

Nani seems to have just completely vanished off the face of the earth :confused:

Nani been out since before Christmas with hamstring I think, so a few weeks in total. RvP just back in full training and might be available for Chelsea game.

at least our hoodoo at Stamford bridge was broken last season. Chelsea for me have upped a gear in past month or so. Before that I feel bit more confident.

First lets worry about Swansea. Every game seems be Cup final at minute.

Yep, all we can do is try to win the next game and try not to look down the road

Nani been out since before Christmas with hamstring I think, so a few weeks in total. RvP just back in full training and might be available for Chelsea game.

Moyes didnt give me that impression when asked about him today
    "Robin's going to be a little while," he said. "We'll do everything we can to get him back."

Suggests he isnt in full training yet (particularly if Kew is right and he only came back today)

Certainly wont be ready for Chelsea and I dont wanna see him near the team till he is ready tbh, no point in getting a rusty 65 minutes out of him and being without him for another month

Moyes didnt give me that impression when asked about him today

Suggests he isnt in full training yet (particularly if Kew is right and he only came back today)

Certainly wont be ready for Chelsea and I dont wanna see him near the team till he is ready tbh, no point in getting a rusty 65 minutes out of him and being without him for another month

Was going on a Mirrror article from yesterday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

To take Mourinho's unbeaten home PL record next week would be exceptionally sweet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

That old Del boy motto could suit Utd in this transfer window and also for the rest of the season,

He who dares, WINS!!

Be just too good to be true if Moyes was of all managers the first to win at Chelsea under Jose

Be just too good to be true if Moyes was of all managers the first to win at Chelsea under Moyes.
    Believe my friend - Believe :)

1961 was last time we lost 4 in a row. lets hope it stays that way tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Without Rooney I think the best we can hope for tomorrow is a draw.

Hopefully Fletcher starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I'll say it'll be no points again. Maybe one though. Maybe.

These things happen in cycles. I've accepted that now.

1961 was last time we lost 4 in a row. lets hope it stays that way tomorrow.
    My big fear is if we do loose tomorrow and then again against Chelsea (which is a real possibility) that the wheels might totally come off the wagon ... we would be entering unfamiliar dangerous ground if that did happen.

ye must all be backing swansea at 5-6/1 so:)

I have/will never bet against United ... a part of me would die inside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Whats the double chance?

irishfeen wrote: »

Never backed against United. I dont think we will lose tomorrow myself. Draw the very worst even w/o Rooney.

irishfeen wrote: »

Pff, I have no issue with it. Watching United lose has been crap but the small few € I've won because of their recent crapness has eased my suffering slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

J. Marston wrote: »
    Pff, I have no issue with it. Watching United lose has been crap but the small few € I've won because of their recent crapness has eased my suffering slightly.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that you do it. You're exceptionally negative.

Whats the double chance?

Give me 2 secs

• Advertisement

Doesn't surprise me one bit that you do it. You're exceptionally realistic.

I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement