Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

lordgoat wrote: »
    It's also funny how he never talks about players from the lower leagues.

Complete chancer imo.
    Yes, I think so. I followed him last night, think I'll unfollow him. Every tweet is a "world exclusive" and they are all showered with hashtags. Utter tosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Headshot wrote: »
    Moyes saying more signing this window are unlikely

ffs ugh

Moyes did say we shouldnt get our hopes up this window, and we signed Mata ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A chancer? On twitter? No way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

For those wanting Moyes out Im sorry to disappoint you but with the way he is being given the money to break our transfer record seems to be a sign that the board are going to give him until at least the end of the 2014-15 season.

Sure the team are playing poorly but we all know that at least 3 if not 4 more additions are required to bring us to the quality of Man City and Chelsea. Anyone thinking the squad Moyes inherited is good enough to compete with Man City is in cuckoo land. Sure we won the league last year but City were way below what they were capable of and they addressed that in the summer.

The people who criticize Moyes for not making big signings in the summer would be criticizing him if he signed three or four players and broke up a title winning squad.

He has identified the weaknesses at LB and MF and is doing something about it. Fergie has been looking at a piss poor midfield since 09 and done nothing and only signed Butner to address to compete with Evra. No other manager could do what Fergie done with that squad last season. Mourinho would not have us playing any better than we are now and he would have wanted 100m to spend. He plays negative football a lot of the time.

Between this transfer window and the summer we need a RB, LB, CM x2 and a good winger. Seamus Coleman and Luke Shaw and one from Vidal/Gundogan/Kroos are three who would make a huge difference to us and with a combined cost of circa 80m should be achievable. After all we were willing to spend 100m plus on Bale. The sale of Young, Cleverly Nani, Anderson,Kagawa and Buttner would generate some cash to bring in another CM and a Winger.

While we would all like to see an open 442 system I think the game has changed over the last few years and certainly in europe its too open. 4231 is much better again the bigger teams and therefor there is no reason why Mata, Rooney and Januzaj could not interchange in a 3 behind RVP.

Looking forward to seeing that front four all playing together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Giggsy11 wrote: »

This warms my cockles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Cardiff are going to be interesting to watch. Eikrem, Fabio, Zaha and Daehli all playing for them.

Daehli had a brilliant 10 minute debut apparently so he'll be worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Be6PLf3IUAAHHSS.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

DM-ICE wrote: »
    They weren't the same. Teams sat back more afraid of RVP and Rooney. United had more control in many games than they had lately. League form was hurt by dealing with europe early in season and Moyes cautiously approaching a tough start, but went 12 games unbeaten and only lost points late on in two of the draws. After RVP was injured two bad losses arrived, Rooney led the team on another decent run after that and he also got injured. Both unavailable has to be a factor in the recent struggles.

In that 12 game unbeaten run the performances were turgid plenty of times. The Southampton draw; the Real Sociadad 1-0 and 0-0; the Arsenal win was a backs to the wall exercise; the Cardiff draw and the Spurs draw - all of those performances had the same slow, predictable and ineffective play we've seen all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

If the Fabio deal is permanent any idea of the selling price?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pro. F wrote: »
    In that 12 game unbeaten run the performances were turgid plenty of times. The Southampton draw; the Real Sociadad 1-0 and 0-0; the Arsenal win was a backs to the wall exercise; the Cardiff draw and the Spurs draw - all of those performances had the same slow, predictable and ineffective play we've seen all season.

Yes some poor games no doubt.
    They got better results though, with RVP and Rooney in the team, which was the main point. Not all performances were poor which was the other point. Games in europe such as leverkusen, Arsenal game was a lot better in how the team worked together than your making out, swept Fulham away early (something that has not happened enough). Those games came after eeking out some results at start of the run and building momentum.

Thanks for selective quoting me as well and ignoring my post was about how the two best players not being available regualarly since then has impacted on results. It wasn't a defence of Moyes tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Hococop wrote: »

It'd be negligible, has barely played in 3 years and I think he'd have been out of contract in the Summer anyway. Probably less than a million gotten for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

A little over a million I think. Freiburg were offering less than a mill I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

RasTa wrote: »

Ever get the impression that people on this forum are now starting to live in some kind of dream world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

SSN mentioned 1.2m

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Solskjaer has good contacts for United's cast offs.

Ever get the impression that people on this forum are now starting to live in some kind of dream world?

The pic you quoted seems very much like reality to me. Believe it or not, Rooney, RvP, Mata and Januzaj will all play for Man Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No

Blatter wrote: »
    The pic you quoted seems very much like reality to me. Believe it or not, Rooney, RvP, Mata and Januzaj will all play for Man Utd.

Yes Yes I know...I can't wait to until they all play together soon...

but what I mean is, a lot of people seem to be very forgiving of some obvious issues at the club because of an eventually that hasn't quite occurred yet.

I'm never going to be a popular member of this thread, and right now I can't just flick on the positivity switch. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Is Mata's head really that massive? Look at the pic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

but what I mean is, a lot of people seem to be very forgiving of some obvious issues at the club because of an eventually that hasn't quite occurred yet.

I'm never going to be a popular member of this thread, and right now I can't just flick on the positivity switch. Sorry.

2w4wntg.jpg

It is possible to have issues with the club whilst simultaneously being happy with, or looking forward to seeing other aspects.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Yes some poor games no doubt.
    They got better results though, with RVP and Rooney in the team, which was the main point. Not all performances were poor which was the other point. Games in europe such as leverkusen, Arsenal game was a lot better in how the team worked together than your making out, swept Fulham away early (something that has not happened enough). Those games came after eeking out some results at start of the run and building momentum.

Thanks for selective quoting me as well and ignoring my point was about how the two best players not being available regualarly since then has impacted on results. It wasn't a degence of Moyes tactics.

Results will tend to be better when RvP and Rooney play. I'm not disputing that.

I thought it was performances that was the main point of the discussion you were in. Adox and I would say that the performances have been poor all season, regardless of Rooney or RvP playing. You say the performances were better when they played.

Yes, the performances in both Leverkusen games were good, but Leverkusen were absolutely awful. They sat off us completely and their back line was a shambles. Note that we had a better performance against them in the second game, when RvP didn't even play. Those performances were far more down to Leverkusen being rubbish than United being good. The poor form in the league around the time of both of those Leverkusen games would bear that out.

The Arsenal game we defended well, but created feck all going forward. We scored early and then defended for our lives. That's not the type of performance that I would use as evidence for teams sitting back and being afraid of RvP and Rooney. I really enjoyed it a lot at the time and I felt Moyes deserved a lot of credit for getting such a battling performance out of the players. But looking at it objectively, a battling defensive performance is not what would give me confidence that the team can kick on and play league winning football.

We swept Fulham away early just like we swept Vila and West Ham away early. They're all shíte teams, I don't think scoring a few early goals says very much. The performances against all three were nothing special as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

111qur5.jpg

Exciting Times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You have to wait until Moyes gets the players before you can judge him on the direction he's taking the club IMO and I think that's the stance the club have taken.

There's a reason we've been bypassing the middle of the park since maybe 09 and always going wide. Moyes is qualified to play the team as best he can and the harsh reality is that the way we're playing now is possibly the best we can under the circumstances (player form + injuries taken into account). There's a missing link IMO, it's why Moyes had attempted to sign Fabregas and is reportedly looking to sign Gundogan, Vidal, Pogba, or Kroos. That world class midfielder that all of the top teams seem to have(most have two and more).

Ultimately Moyes is the manager and the seemingly negative way we're playing and poor performances fall on him, but I don't think it's as easy as "he has us playing shít, he hasn't a clue #moyes out", I think you have to look deeper into it.

I want to see him get the players and then I think we will start playing great football again, if we get the players and it's still the same well then that would be the end of Moyes as United boss and rightly so. It's not as if the next manager in would have to ditch all of Moyes' signings, he's signed one of the top midfielders in the premier league the past few years and one of the best playmakers in the world. He's looking to sign world class names on top of this who everyone in here would fantasise about signing anyway. He's looking at the right names but he just has to get the philosophy right when they are here.

It is possible to have issues with the club whilst simultaneously being happy with, or looking forward to seeing other aspects.

Of course. Some of the defeats from this season are just a bit too raw for me. It will need more than the thoughts of Mata to cheer me up at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Of course. Some of the defeats from this season are just a bit too raw for me. It will need more than the thoughts of Mata to cheer me up at this stage.
    Aww poor baby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Arsenal game we defended well, but created feck all going forward. We scored early and then defended for our lives. That's not the type of performance that I would use as evidence for teams sitting back and being afraid of RvP and Rooney. I really enjoyed it a lot at the time and I felt Moyes deserved a lot of credit for getting such a battling performance out of the players. But looking at it objectively, a battling defensive performance is not what would give me confidence that the team can kick on and play league winning football.

Being honest, the Arsenal game wasn't much different to the vast majority of games we've been playing this season. Nick a goal, sit back and defend till the ref blows the whistle. The reason people remember that game fondly, and not the Sunderland, Cardiff and a whole host of others, is that against Arsenal, we survived and got away with the 3 points.

Moyes uses that tactic far, far too often, even when Rooney and RVP were fit, and a lot of the time, it's backfired and resulted in dropped points from "easy" games....

You have to wait until Moyes gets the players before you can judge him on the direction he's taking the club IMO and I think that's the stance the club have taken.

There's a reason we've been bypassing the middle of the park since maybe 09 and always going wide. Moyes is qualified to play the team as best he can and the harsh reality is that the way we're playing now is possibly the best we can under the circumstances (player form + injuries taken into account). There's a missing link IMO, it's why Moyes had attempted to sign Fabregas and is reportedly looking to sign Gundogan, Vidal, Pogba, or Kroos. That world class midfielder that all of the top teams seem to have(most have two and more).

Ultimately Moyes is the manager and the seemingly negative way we're playing and poor performances fall on him, but I don't think it's as easy as "he has us playing shít, he hasn't a clue #moyes out", I think you have to look deeper into it.

I want to see him get the players and then I think we will start playing great football again, if we get the players and it's still the same well then that would be the end of Moyes as United boss and rightly so. It's not as if the next manager in would have to ditch all of Moyes' signings, he's signed one of the top midfielders in the premier league the past few years and one of the best playmakers in the world. He's looking to sign world class names on top of this who everyone in here would fantasise about signing anyway. He's looking at the right names but he just has to get the philosophy right when they are here.

It's funny how this style that Moyes has us playing with now is the exact same style that he had Everton playing with, but he's only doing it because the squad aren't good enough. Also funny how the squad were able to play so much better over the last few years, but now with Moyes it's only possible for them to play like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's funny how this style that Moyes has us playing with now is the exact same style that he had Everton playing with

wat?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

One of the few people on twitter that I believe pretty much all the time.

Jan Aage Fjortoft @JanAageFjortoft
    What all my sources tell me in Germany /other countries:Manchester United are working very hard to get players. Now and summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Has Utd's style changed that much this season from Fergies last few in charge? Think it's a bit unfair to pin it on Moyes given Utd have been producing fairly turgid football on a regular basis since about 2009.

Results will tend to be better when RvP and Rooney play. I'm not disputing that.

I thought it was performances that was the main point of the discussion you were in. Adox and I would say that the performances have been poor all season, regardless of Rooney or RvP playing. You say the performances were better when they played.

Yes, the performances in both Leverkusen games were good, but Leverkusen were absolutely awful. They sat off us completely and their back line was a shambles. Note that we had a better performance against them in the second game, when RvP didn't even play. Those performances were far more down to Leverkusen being rubbish than United being good. The poor form in the league around the time of both of those Leverkusen games would bear that out.

We swept Fulham away early just like we swept Vila and West Ham away early. They're all shíte teams, I don't think scoring a few early goals says very much. The performances against all of them were nothing special as far as I remember.

I don't want to get into a big discussion on the set up of the team. I replied to one post and was talking about the impact the injuries had compared to last season, as I said since it wasn't a defence of tactics.

Performances were not good enough over the season. I don't dispute it. I do disagree about them being the same in recent games as they were as that 12 game run came together. Some confidence in how they were playing was starting to come into the side. Tactical set up is no different, performance levels of the players in how they performed as a group was better. They had momentum, confidence and hopefully the two lads coming back along with Mata signing will see a more confident side again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Fergie and Charlton have had a word with the powers that be.

after the summer, as well as the start Utd have had, I'd say there's been a concerted effort to support the manager completely and give him every opportunity to succeed.

when all is said and done, Moyes will have no excuse if he fails I reckon.

It's funny how this style that Moyes has us playing with now is the exact same style that he had Everton playing with, but he's only doing it because the squad aren't good enough. Also funny how the squad were able to play so much better over the last few years, but now with Moyes it's only possible for them to play like this.

Have you anything to show or can you elaborate what you think the differences between the way Fergie had us playing last season and the way Moyes has us playing this season out of curiosity?

To me not much has changed, fullbacks crossing more is evident but that to me is nothing major.

Fergie was an anomaly, he juiced every last bit from the players, it's the reason he'll go down as one of the greatest. Moyes in his first season can't do this, no manager in the world could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

RasTa wrote: »

I don't know how you've done it, but Mata looks like Carl Jenkinson there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

SSN Saying Newcastle reject Psg 14m bid for Cabaye will that make us go in i wonder thought they would get upwards of 20m for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Bad news on the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Bad news on the way...

Go on...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Bad news on the way...

?

• Advertisement

Bad news on the way...

Tease

keane2097 wrote: »
    wat?

4231/4411; rigid and unimaginative passing moves; focus on playing in the wide players, especially the fullbacks; lack of interplay and movement between the strikers and the rest of the team; central midfielders who don't link up well with forwards; mid level defensive block with the opposition funnelled out wide; team usually struggling physically in the last 20 minutes.

The only differences are that he has had to do with fullbacks who aren't good enough to work the system (Evra and Smalling) and strikers who are better then he is used to, but not as dominant in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The newest twitter rumours have Nani being sought after by Juventus and Fenerbache.

Would be strange to send him anywhere if he is still injured. And if he is recovered then maybe there is truth in it. Could have used him over the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bad news on the way...

Come on out with it!!

If the news is Nani leaving...then that's not bad news...

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Go on...

Mark Lawrenson has a source that Mata is unhappy in training and is set to ask for a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

GSPfan wrote: »
    The newest twitter rumours have Nani being sought after by Juventus and Fenerbache.

Would be strange to send him anywhere if he is still injured. And if he is recovered then maybe there is truth in it. Could have used him over the last month.

If Juve are interested then I would give them Nani + 35m for Vidal quick

Come on out with it!!

If only Mrs Crinklewood muttered those words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

4231/4411; rigid and unimaginative passing moves; focus on playing in the wide players, especially the fullbacks; lack of interplay and movement between the strikers and the rest of the team; central midfielders who don't link up well with forwards; mid level defensive block with the opposition funnelled out wide; team usually struggling physically in the last 20 minutes.

The only differences are that he has had to do with fullbacks who aren't good enough to work the system (Evra and Smalling) and strikers who are better then he is used to, but not as dominant in the air.

It must be some new definition of "same" that means noticeably and surprisingly different, because having watched an awful lot of Everton over the last couple of years I was pretty surprised at how different Moyes set United up.

Saying Everton focussed on playing in the wide players is mad.

SlickRic wrote: »
    it wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Fergie and Charlton have had a word with the powers that be.

after the summer, as well ad the start Utd have had, I'd say there's been a concerted effort to support the manager completely and give him every opportunity to succeed.

when all is said and done, Moyes will have no excuse if he fails I reckon.

Couldn't have said it better.

Moyes will be given every opportunity to succeed, in the end if he fails it will be down to him and him alone.

If it is the same down the line after Moyes has been given every opportunity and it isn't working out well then he should go. I think he will succeed but that's just an opinion and others have different

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement