Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Rooney doing the donkey work like the Ronaldo years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

user2011 wrote: »

Feck paying £300k/week to a player who's going to be shunted out wide and be largely ineffective from an attacking pov. He will play in the centre behind RvP, Mata will almost certainly play in one of the wide positions. He's far more suited to it that Rooney. I'm pretty sure he mainly played on the left wing for Valencia and has played well numerous times for Chelsea out wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

user2011 wrote: »

Or centre midfield?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Blatter wrote: »
    Feck paying £300k/week to a player who's going to be shunted out wide and be largely ineffective from an attacking pov. He will play in the centre behind RvP, Mata will almost certainly play in one of the wide positions. He's far more suited to it that Rooney. I'm pretty sure he mainly played on the left wing for Valencia and has played well numerous times for Chelsea out wide.

I dunno, I think mata signed on the promise of playing in his favourite position, I think we'll be seeing a change of formation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Remember the first game of last season. Goodison Park. Fellani beats us, almost single handedly. Will we ever see that man again I wonder?

if you play him up front you might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

:)
    Wayne Rooney ‏@WayneRooney 4m Welcome to Manchester United @juanmata10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I dunno, I think mata signed on the promise of playing in his favourite position, I think we'll be seeing a change of formation

That promise just couldn't have been made to him, if he feels his best position is through the middle in the #10 role. It's as plain as day that Moyes is going to persist with Rooney off RvP, unless Rooney goes in the Summer (looking unlikely now).

Moyes will try to use Mata like City use David Silva. Cutting in on the flank, being the team's main creative force. It is obvious he's going to try this imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

With 48 points maximum left to play for this season ,
    Does everyone believe we won't finish top 4 or even make 3rd if we drastically improve and been spurs ,pool,Everton will very likely dropoints for the run in ,

I still believe we can still finish 3rd or am I in a tiny minority

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Wayne must have been on the beer during the weekend as well Kew,

Better late then never :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Gatling wrote: »
    Does everyone believe we won't finish top 4 or even make 3rd if we drastically improve and been spurs ,pool,Everton will very likely dropoints for the run in ,

Nothing in our previous performances tell us that we can finish in the top 4. Not sure how much of a difference Mata can make so quickly.

• Advertisement

That promise just couldn't have been made to him, if he feels his best position is through the middle in the #10 role. It's as plain as day that Moyes is going to persist with Rooney off RvP, unless Rooney goes in the Summer (looking unlikely now).

Moyes will try to use Mata like City use David Silva. Cutting in on the flank, being the team's main creative force. It is obvious he's going to try this imo.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I think we're going to see a change to 4-2-3-1 with full backs providing the width, if mata plays out of position wide left and it doesn't work that's it for moyes

Gatling wrote: »

We're only 2 wins off the pace, of course were gonna finish top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Nothing in our previous performances tell us that we can finish in the top 4. Not sure how much of a difference Mata can make so quickly.

agreed no point looking at the end season result we have to focus on the games in front of us, if we win our next 3 pl games (cardiff, stoke and fulham) it gives us great momentum going into the arsenal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I reckon we are going to go down the Barca route, not the boring ticky tacky but the formation wise

We are going to loose width with this
    RVP
    ----Mata
    Rooney
    Jan---
    Carrick----Fell
    Evra----Evans
    Vidic---Raf
    De Gea

We'll need the fullbacks to be our width now, so we need them to bomb forward all the time. Raf is capable of that but once again Evra doesnt have the legs to go up and down that wing tbh

Imagine if we had a brilliant CM in that formation, would be a mouth watering team

Wait see how things unfold with how we play with Mata in the team, could be him playing out wide in the smaller games then Rooney out wide in the bigger matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭moany

Third is a bridge to far i think, but looking at this weeks fixtures we have an excellent chance of making up points , with the Merseyside derby , Spurs vs City . So hopefully onwards and upwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Maybe Raf can play LB and have Valencia at RB?

Or we may see more of Buttner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Headshot wrote: »
    I reckon we are going to go down the Barca route, not the boring ticky tacky but the formation wise

We are going to loose width with this
    RVP
    ----Mata
    Rooney
    Jan---
    Carrick----Fell
    Evra----Evans
    Vidic---Raf
    De Gea

We'll need the fullbacks to be our width now, so we need them to bomb forward all the time. Raf is capable of that but once again Evra doesnt have the legs to go up and down that wing tbh

Imagine if we had a brilliant CM in that formation, would be a mouth watering team

I feel like we have to lose the width, but does that mean our new formation will suit Kagawa more too now?

Julez wrote: »
    I feel like we have to lose the width, but does that mean our new formation will suit Kagawa more too now?

Yes I feel it would but I kills me to say I cant see him getting into the first team. I dont want Mata on the right and Jan is well capable on the right. I have never seen Kag on the right tbh

If we replace Rooney with Kag, Kag would thrive in this team but unless injuries are a factor it wont happen

• Advertisement

n32 wrote: »
    Or centre midfield?!

Please, just no! Sign a CM and really sort the problem out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

United's next 3 are Cardiff (H), Stoke (A) and Fulham (H). Then it's Arsenal (A).

Before the Arsenal game:

Liverpool v Everton and Spurs v City this week.

City v Chelsea the following week, MNF.

Week after, Liverpool v Arsenal and Spurs v Everton.

There are big opportunities over the next 3 games to close some gaps, but performances need to improve, else it will be doors being shut instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

In recent years we've only ever really had to watch one team and hope they lose...now we have about 6-7 to watch. Definitely makes things more interesting.

We have to get 9 points before Arsenal game now.

Every game is going to be like Cup final for us now.

Roll on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Roll on Tuesday.

If we could pick up 9 points before the Arsenal game you can be certain teams around us will drop points, then RVP and Rooney should be back and we should be firing on all cylinders.

I honestly think we have a shot at 3rd.

If we could pick up 9 points before the Arsenal game you can be certain teams around us will drop points, then RVP and Rooney should be back and we should be firing on all cylinders.

I honestly think we have a shot at 3rd.

I do too although 4th more realistic, but we have to get motoring now. Mata will surely improve the moral and the atmosphere at OT for next few games will increase too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Wonder big time if its wise to let Fabio go to Cardiff,if Evra is missing at all you are left with Buttner....neither exactly playing out of their skins at mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Wonder big time if its wise to let Fabio go to Cardiff,if Evra is missing at all you are left with Buttner....neither exactly playing out of their skins at mo.

I don't think he'd let him go without being sure of getting a new LB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Roll on Tuesday.
    Yep its do or die Kew - I do truly believe that we can and will get 4th still.... 3 wins from the next 3 is a must though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Wayne Rooney ‏@WayneRooney 4m Welcome to Manchester United @juanmata10

No smileys or exclamation marks - Rooney's off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone consider RVP being sold this summer? Mata in the hole behind Rooney next season.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Anyone consider RVP being sold this summer? Mata in the hole behind Rooney next season.

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Raf and Evra will have to be in the form of their lives for the rest of the season if we want to go with a narrow formation to suit Mata, same with Carrick and Fellaini.

Those 4 players haven't been good enough to suggest we could pull it off, potential to go very wrong.

No

Well I have, rumours of his discontent have been around all season so with Rooney getting a new deal something may happen that way.
    Moyes is re building Utd and we don't know if RVP is in those plans, nothing will surprise me this summer.

Well I have, rumours of his discontent have been around all season so with Rooney getting a new deal something may happen that way.
    Moyes is re building Utd and we don't know if RVP is in those plans, nothing will surprise me this summer.

We won't sell out best players, were signing world class players to build a world class squad, selling our current world class players wont achieve that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Januzaj is being overrated hugely imo. I think that great performance earlier in the season is slightly clouding people's view of what have been increasingly declining performances. Kagawa is on another level as a player right now. Makes better decisions on the ball andlinks the play better. Jan in the 10 role looked terrible, should be played on the wing when he's played imo. Just want to see Kagawa get a fair crack of the whip in the middle tbh before he becomes redundant in the squad without a fair chance, he deserves that mich and anyone who watches him and not just the highlights can see he oozes class and has the Scholes like ability to find space and pick a pass that's on a level above everyone else on the team imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

So apparently we've rejected an offer from PSG for Evra.

Twitter sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Liam O wrote: »
    Januzaj is being overrated hugely imo. I think that great performance earlier in the season is slightly clouding people's view of what have been increasingly declining performances. Kagawa is on another level as a player right now. Makes better decisions on the ball andlinks the play better. Jan in the 10 role looked terrible, should be played on the wing when he's played imo. Just want to see Kagawa get a fair crack of the whip in the middle tbh before he becomes redundant in the squad without a fair chance, he deserves that mich and anyone who watches him and not just the highlights can see he oozes class and has the Scholes like ability to find space and pick a pass that's on a level above everyone else on the team imo.

The only game I remember Jan playing the 10 role was the Norwich game and he did very well there. He has played from the wing far more often. He has been very solid and has given us more than we ever expected an inexperienced 18 year old to give. He has performed very well very consistently whereas we don't know which Kagawa we are getting on any given match day.

The Sunderland cup game did show us that he still has learning to do when it comes to decision making. He held the ball too long when he should have passed as he had already dragged defenders out of position towards him. That's just youthful eagerness in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think that great performance earlier in the season is slightly clouding people's view of what have been increasingly declining performances.

He certainly hasn't been the saviour that some people in here seem to think he has been, against Sunderland for example he was horribly wasteful. Its not his fault the players around him have been so poor so as to make him look better, but its doing him no favours to have him hyped up so much.

The best thing for Januzaj right now would be a few games out of the limelight. After which Moyes can use him as a sub again, bring him on with a little less pressure on him and let him pop up with maybe a few goals and assists that will keep his confidence high without having people relying upon him.

We won't sell out best players, were signing world class players to build a world class squad, selling our current world class players wont achieve that

Why won't we? Sold Beckham etc before... Who knows if RVP is in Moyes plans.
    We have tied up Rooney and it seems Mata has been told he will play in the 10 role so something must give IMO.

How many players in the United squad do you lads recon can be part of Moyes re-built (potential PL winning side) say next year... I'd hazard a guess that those marked below are sub standard to beat the likes of City, Chelsea, Arsenal to PL and Barca, Madrid, Bayern to CL.

David de Gea
    Rafael
    Patrice Evra
    Phil Jones
    Rio Ferdinand
    Jonny Evans
    Wayne Rooney
    Ryan Giggs
    Chris Smalling
    Anders Lindegaard
    Javier Hernández
    Nemanja Vidić
    Michael Carrick
    Nani
    Ashley Young
    Danny Welbeck
    Robin van Persie
    Tom Cleverley
    Darren Fletcher
    Antonio Valencia
    Shinji Kagawa
    Federico Macheda
    Alexander Büttner
    Marouane Fellaini
    Jesse Lingard
    Ben Amos
    Adnan Januzaj
    Juan Mata

• Advertisement

Fletcher?

GTFO

Why won't we? Sold Beckham etc before... Who knows if RVP is in Moyes plans.
    We have tied up Rooney and it seems Mata has been told he will play in the 10 role so something must give IMO.

You could be right but I can't see it to be honest, Rooney hasn't signed a contract yet, van persie has just splashed out £11 million on a house in Manchester

Headshot wrote: »
    Fletcher?

GTFO
    He was the one I had doubts over but yeah imo not of a standard of PL/CL winning players.... which does hurt me to say because I love the lad and what he has overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

irishfeen wrote: »
    How many players in the United squad do you lads recon can be part of Moyes re-built (potential PL winning side) say next year... I'd hazard a guess that those marked below are sub standard to beat the likes of City, Chelsea, Arsenal to PL and Barca, Madrid, Bayern to CL.

David de Gea
    Rafael
    Patrice Evra
    Phil Jones
    Rio Ferdinand
    Jonny Evans
    Wayne Rooney
    Ryan Giggs
    Chris Smalling
    Anders Lindegaard
    Javier Hernández
    Nemanja Vidić
    Michael Carrick
    Nani
    Ashley Young
    Danny Welbeck
    Robin van Persie
    Tom Cleverley
    Darren Fletcher
    Antonio Valencia
    Shinji Kagawa
    Federico Macheda
    Alexander Büttner
    Marouane Fellaini
    Jesse Lingard
    Ben Amos
    Adnan Januzaj
    Juan Mata

i would cross out kagawa and keep Fletcher

You could be right but I can't see it to be honest, Rooney hasn't signed a contract yet, van persie has just splashed out £11 million on a house in Manchester

Didn't know RVP splashed that on a ranch,small clue I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

irishfeen wrote: »
    He was the one I had doubts over but yeah imo not of a standard of PL/CL winning players.... which does hurt me to say because I love the lad and what he has overcome.
    You left Macheda in :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Januzaj could do with a break . As an 18 year old you shouldnt be expected to be the focal point of the team. He has shown some incredible flashes this season and has bags of potential. Against Sunderland on Wednesday he was being expected to do too much for a young player. Even Messi wasnt running the show at that age, he had Ronaldinho, Etoo and more to share the burden. Januzaj deserves to have Rooney, Mata and RVP alongside him not Welbeck , Hernandez and Valencia.
    At the game on Wednesday a few of us were comparing Januzaj and Ronaldo at the same age. Not saying he will get to Ronaldos level but is he a more rounded player than Ronaldo was at 18?

Hococop wrote: »
    i would cross out kagawa and keep Fletcher
    Still believe that lad is a quality player, he has the potential.

You left Macheda in :confused:
    Well I didn't want to mark off the whole fcuking lot of them :o ... he the squad player :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mad how opinions can be so different

For me Januzaj is hyped for his potential not what he is right now. He has showed more out wide than Kagawa has at no 10 so far this season. You are doing him an injustice to say he has declined. Still has a cutting edge to his play that most don't at United. He has genuinely taken on far too much since Rooney was injured, at least he is trying to step up and not hiding.

I wouldn't be so nice to kagawa. He ripped up german league to his credit. Has not had a real chance to do it in England with Rooney picked ahead of him but when chances have appeared he has not taken them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement