Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Any pics of Mata in training today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

irishfeen wrote: »
    Still believe that lad is a quality player, he has the potential.

completly agree with you, i was delighted when we first signed him, i would love to see him stay but i have a feeling he will be used in a trade

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Hococop wrote: »
    completly agree with you, i was delighted when we first signed him, i would love to see him stay but i have a feeling he will be used in a trade
    Yeah i've the same inkling but you would never know - seems very wierd that both Moyes and SAF have doubts over him though...

Any pics of Mata in training today?
    Don't think so lad, have seen nothing on twitter or on the rags websites anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Still believe that lad is a quality player, he has the potential.

He'll never be good enough for United.
    Why won't we? Sold Beckham etc before... Who knows if RVP is in Moyes plans.
    We have tied up Rooney and it seems Mata has been told he will play in the 10 role so something must give IMO.

Anyone reckon that RVP is the one holding back his return to football because he's not willing to play with any sort of niggle this season due to the WC in the summer? Apparently United and the Dutch FA's medical team have very contrasting views on whether he's fit enough to play and RVP is saying that he isn't when the United guys think he is.

Mind you, it's more than likely complete bollocks. But I've the same train of thought about Messi this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I reckon RVP will be back when he is supposed to. He isn't going to sacrifice form and Champions League qualification for United to just play in a World Cup. Sure he'd have to stay out the whole season to guarantee his fitness for the World Cup and even then there's always a chance.

That's the type of theory that belongs in a soap opera. Imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

He'll never be good enough for United.

Anyone reckon that RVP is the one holding back his return to football because he's not willing to play with any sort of niggle this season due to the WC in the summer? Apparently United and the Dutch FA's medical team have very contrasting views on whether he's fit enough to play and RVP is saying that he isn't when the United guys think he is.

Mind you, it's more than likely complete bollocks. But I've the same train of thought about Messi this season.

If rvp is at that and moyes suspicion sell him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My personal opinion is the the following are certain to be part of the squad over the next 3 or 4 years.

De gea smalling, jones, Evans, fellaini, cleverley, mata, januzaj, Rooney, welbeck.

The following are those I think will stay short term

Amos, vidic, rafael Carrick, fletcher, Valencia.

I think the following are gone:

Lindegard, evra, buttner, giggs, Ferdinand, nani, young, Hernandez, kagawa.

RVP, I just don't know what will happen with him. Don't want him to go, but just don't know if he will stay.

Really, de gea, smalling, Evans, jones, januzaj, mata and Rooney are the players I would see the next squad being built around, with fellaini, welbeck and cleverley in the squad itself. The rest of the players, who knows.

That isn't exactly what I would do, but it is what I reckon is the plan. Don't think it will all be done over January/summer coming, but the long term plan.

A few of young players, Powell, keane, Wilson, Zaha, henriquez, Janos, varela.... I've no real idea what they will do over the next few years. The two Keanes, Powell and Zaha would be the four I would look to most quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Why do people think Kagawa will be gone? I really think he will stay put for the forseeable future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

How many players in the United squad do you lads recon can be part of Moyes re-built (potential PL winning side) say next year... I'd hazard a guess that those marked below are sub standard to beat the likes of City, Chelsea, Arsenal to PL and Barca, Madrid, Bayern to CL.

David de Gea
    Rafael
    Patrice Evra
    Phil Jones
    Rio Ferdinand
    Jonny Evans
    Wayne Rooney
    Ryan Giggs
    Chris Smalling
    Anders Lindegaard
    Javier Hernández
    Nemanja Vidić
    Michael Carrick
    Nani
    Ashley Young
    Danny Welbeck
    Robin van Persie
    Tom Cleverley
    Darren Fletcher
    Antonio Valencia
    Shinji Kagawa
    Federico Macheda
    Alexander Büttner
    Marouane Fellaini
    Jesse Lingard
    Ben Amos
    Adnan Januzaj
    Juan Mata

Moyes will keep Welbeck for sure. Fletcher will also be kept, as will Buttner I'd say. He seems happy enough to be the back-up LB. Moyes will for sure get in a first 11 LB, likely Evra will go, so Buttner stays as back-up.

Young, Nani, Valencia; hard to say what gonna happen there. Valencia was given a lot of chances by Moyes, but hasn't really done much. Ashley got some praise from Moyes recently but needs to improve a lot. Moyes was happy when Nani signed a new contract, but hasn't seen much of him this season.

Reckon that Cleverley is likely to be kept also, but CM, and the midfield overall with such underperforming wingers, is where the biggest changes will be made.

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Why do people think Kagawa will be gone? I really think he will stay put for the forseeable future
    Not selected much when we've a fit squad, not playing to his capability, and could possibly be used in a deal for a player or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

My personal opinion is the the following are certain to be part of the squad over the next 3 or 4 years.

De gea smalling, jones, Evans, fellaini, cleverley, mata, januzaj, Rooney, welbeck.

RVP, I just don't know what will happen with him. Don't want him to go, but just don't know if he will stay.

Really, de gea, smalling, Evans, jones, januzaj, mata and Rooney are the players I would see the next squad being built around, with fellaini, welbeck and cleverley in the squad itself. The rest of the players, who knows.

That isn't exactly what I would do, but it is what I reckon is the plan. Don't think it will all be done over January/summer coming, but the long term plan.

A few of young players, Powell, keane, Wilson, Zaha, henriquez, Janos, varela.... I've no real idea what they will do over the next few years. The two Keanes, Powell and Zaha would be the four I would look to most quickly.

Throw Andreas Pereira into this too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Guardian, Mirror and Sun all have Rooney on backpage.

the 3 papers state Rooney will have say in the transfers.

Throw Andreas Pereira into this too

I could be wrong, but just don't rate him. Has a bit of flair about him but never seen him control a game, never seen him be the leader or the star.

Just don't think he will make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

PSG after Adnan, can **** right off.

Is it not that he is being let know who the targets are? Very different from having a say. Giving him a say would be rediculous.

Is that a good thing I wonder? .. i'm undecided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Rooney>woodward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Be8BRs1CYAMl1E2.jpg

The dream-team

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

200m or **** off :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Is it not that he is being let know who the targets are? Very different from having a say. Giving him a say would be rediculous.

Correct.
    Wayne Rooney was persuaded to change his mind about leaving Manchester United after being given the kind of privileged access to the club's spending plans that Sir Alex Ferguson had previously denied him, the Guardian can reveal.

Rooney was given advance notice about the £37.1m deal to sign Juan Mata and has also spoken at length to the manager, David Moyes, and the chief executive, Ed Woodward, about their vision of the club under the Glazer family's ownership, in complete contrast to what happened when Ferguson was in charge.

The England striker has been trusted with transfer-market information and kept in the loop about possible signings in a move that acknowledges his importance to the club and a recognition, at the highest level within Old Trafford, that a player of Rooney's stature deserves to know whether a team who have been struggling all season have the financial muscle and ambition to put it right.

Guardian

Is that a good thing I wonder? .. i'm undecided.
    hsving a say....no, not in my opinion, think it would be poor management.

Being let know who the targets are... Meh. I'm sure many players are told this info really, just maybe not at United previously.convinced I have read new signings at city, for example, speak of their excitement at transfer plans.

Guardian and Mirror saying he will have a say and Sun saying he will be known of the plans now that you say it that way.

I say you are right. If Moyes is that weak then we can forget it.

That's laughable. They can chase all they like, neither player nor club will be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Quite disgusting to me that a player has a right to know about transfers

Maybe I live in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I know it's important for the club to keep Rooney, but does anyone else feel like he's beginning to string the club along?

Yeah I think that's more of what it is than him having an actual say. I think the idea is that he is looking for assurances whilst in contract talks that the squad will be suitably strengthened and has been told who their targets are or for what positions. Much like what happened with Fergie that ended up with him looking for a move away when we didn't sign anyone. In a way I like that about him, he doesn't want us to sit around and be static whilst the rest buy around them. Afterall he wants to win.

If he is getting the captains armband next year, then it's gone from expecting him to go nearly every one of the past summers to thinking he might just end his career at United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/26/wayne-rooney-david-moyes-manchester-united-transfer

Kept in the loop not having a say.

Mentions new deal which would likely be less than reported. Shaw deal unlikely, not convinced by Guarin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

That's a slight misrepresentation imo. The piece said Rooney had been given information as to the clubs transfer plans, not that he was actively involved in the transfer process.

I don't really see a problem, he's been told who Utd are targetting, he likes what he hears and signs a new contract, everyone is happy?

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

Maybe I live in the past

Why does it even matter. Of all things to be disgusted about, this should not be one.
    Should be happy if he signs a new contract he must know we are signing superstars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The pandering to Wayne Rooney is pathetic. From a new contract whenever he threatens to leave (which is quite often), to the ''special access'' as the Guardian are referring to it as of transfer plans.

Where does it end? What happens when Van Persie asks for the same access? When Mata asks? Pandering to one person never usually ends well among a group of huge egos (which is every professional footballing dressing room) who all think they should be treated importantly.

Fergie had it right:
    "I told him that to say we weren't ambitious was nonsense," Ferguson says in his latest autobiography. "Wayne said that we should have pursued Mesut Özil. My reply was that it was none of his business who we should have gone for. I told him it was his job to play and perform." David Gill, Woodward's predecessor, left the same message with Rooney and the striker's adviser, Paul Stretford.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Maybe I live in the past

An American franchise player approach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Rooney is the next captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

danthefan wrote: »
    I don't really see a problem, he's been told who Utd are targetting, he likes what he hears and signs a new contract, everyone is happy?

And if he doesn't like what he hears? Does he throw another strop and ask to leave yet again?

GSPfan wrote: »
    Why does it even matter. Of all things to be disgusted about, this should not be one.
    Should be happy if he signs a new contract he must know we are signing superstars.

A player that has bullied us into submission, wanted to leave the club twice and has the nerve to know about transfers. I hate it. He has no right to know about transfers and should concentrate on his own game.

I probably live in the past unfortunately

• Advertisement

Be8Js3_CYAAPmXq.jpg

Be8IxexCAAAr6ol.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

danthefan wrote: »
    That's a slight misrepresentation imo. The piece said Rooney had been given information as to the clubs transfer plans, not that he was actively involved in the transfer process.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous if true. Pandering to him at every turn, I'd rather he f**ked off if this is what it's going to be like from here on in with him. Give someone an inch...

However, I'd be more likely to believe it's rubbish simply because it would be so ridiculous.

It also makes out Moyes to be very weak

Paully D wrote: »
    The pandering to Wayne Rooney is pathetic. From a new contract whenever he threatens to leave (which is quite often), to the ''special access'' as the Guardian are referring to it as of transfer plans.

Where does it end? What happens when Van Persie asks for the same access? When Mata asks? Pandering to one person never usually ends well among a group of huge egos (which is every professional footballing dressing room) who all think they should be treated importantly.

Fergie had it right:
    personally I would be surprised if our targets weren't discussed with mata - assurances as much as could be given, the the current 7th placed side do t plan o being there for long.

You are a struggling side with your ambition and willingness to spend being questioned by everyone, is it really unthinkable you might tell some world class players (1you want to keep and the other sign) that the future at united is bright cause these are the players you are going for?

No, clearly the more sensible approach is: here Wayne, sign the contract or feck off-what does it matter who we plan to rebuild with, you'll have a nice wage, that should be all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sell him before the week is out nobody else is going to pay him 300k pw in england or Spain at that

Wouldn't be surprised If a group of directors want rid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Not a utd fan, but think your pretty spot on with your assessment there.
    Mata is a great signing for you's but to get the best out of him I think he has to play off the front man. Given that there are talks off rooney getting a massive new 5 year contract and that rvp will be 31 next season, I would assume there is a chance rvp will be off in the summer if suitable attacking midfielders can be signed.
    From reading this thread from time to time I know a lot seem to rate rafael I dont and really think yous need to upgrade that position. Rafael is great going forward but his defensive side of the game is poor and has been exposed this year due to the decline of carrick, ferdinand and vidic which helped paper over the cracks for him last year. Carrick due to his age and form/ injuries this year is also another position that needs an upgrade.

There's a weird contradiction goin on in here.

Rooney gets slaughtered for being money hungry.

Rooney gets slaughtered for wanting the club to assure him they want to be the best in the world.

If any of you are guilty of doing both of these then you need to relax. If he has been given assurances of top player signings and he signs a contract then I'm over the moon. It's the sort of confidence that will resonate across Europe with other players when United come calling. The future is looking bright. Be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sure Messi gets a say in what goes on at Barca, Rooney is our Messi. Giving him 300k a week will only confirm that.

No player is bigger than the club aye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Paully D wrote: »

Fergie had it right:
    I'll admit I haven't read Fergies AB, but that is madness. **** him.

Interesting reading - looks like the Equalizer might come out with a bit of credit out of this one -

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/26/chelsea-manchester-united-juan-mata-transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Just thinking about the Cabaye approach, it's a bit of a weird one if true. I do think he is a good central midfielder. But he is not an all-rounder. The balance of his skills is very much on the attacking side of the job, so he would always need to play beside somebody completely reliable defensively. Given that, I don't think Cabaye and Fellaini would be a very solid partnership in the middle.

So if Moyes does buy Cabaye, his first two central midfield purchases won't be suited to playing alongside each other. That is really odd to me.

A player that has bullied us into submission, wanted to leave the club twice and has the nerve to know about transfers. I hate it. He has no right to know about transfers and should concentrate on his own game.

I probably live in the past unfortunately

Not sure about living in the past, just living in a Roy of the Rovers comic strip.

Professional football is a business and players are employees. Would you expect a movie star to agree to a movie without reading the script? It's not that much of an ask to be assured of the ambition of the club before he commits to another 4 years. I'm delighted if it's true. Shows he isn't only after money after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Pro. F wrote: »
    Just thinking about the Cabaye approach, it's a bit of a weird one if true. I do think he is a good central midfielder. But he is not an all-rounder. The balance of his skills is very much on the attacking side of the job, so he would always need to play beside somebody completely reliable defensively. Given that, I don't think Cabaye and Fellaini would be a very solid partnership in the middle.

So if Moyes does buy Cabaye, his first two central midfield purchases won't be suited to playing alongside each other. That is really odd to me.

I agree it wouldn't be ideal, but then again City are getting away with Toure and Fernandinho in the middle which is pretty light on the defensive side, especially with Silva and Nasri starting on the flanks so regularly.

Pro. F wrote: »

Good point about Cabaye. More attacking CM, not really getting this all rounder talk

Would I take him? Yes im be ok with it. I think he is very inconsistent, but maybe coming to United with better players around him especially up front might see more better off him.

20million is plenty though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement