Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Headshot wrote: »
    Can someone who is in the okay to give Rooney and therefor other players transfer details explain to me why your okay with that? Id like to have a proper answer than F this and F that tbh

I might change my mind :)

Sure, I'll humour you. ;)

I like the idea of Rooney being clued in on what the club is doing. Going back to 2010, Rooney was upset we didn't go after Ozil, so were a lot of the fans. It seems Rooney has a desire to have top quality players brought in, so I would be more than happy for him to be a voice for what the players feel the team needs.

I see no harm in telling Rooney who we are looking to go after. It's not like he can do anything with the information, it makes him feel like the club care about him and know how important he is. It's just a reassurance for him.

Wayne Rooney is our most important player. I think everybody knows that. Giving him this special treatment is the club pretty much stating as such and going out of their way to keep an important player happy.

I am expecting a new contract to be signed soon enough, and the announcement of Rooney as club captain in the Summer with the inevitable departure of Rio and Evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Headshot wrote: »
    Can someone who is in the okay to give Rooney and therefor other players transfer details explain to me why your okay with that? Id like to have a proper answer than F this and F that tbh

I might change my mind :)

Reason enough for me! :pac:

10 years of service and as tallaghmick said, next captain. Special access for a special player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oh Mata is going straight into my FF team too.

Just has to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Oh Mata is going straight into my FF team too.

Just has to be done

Did it when the story started to gain legs. If RVP stays fit he'll be a point machine. Hes great from set pieces as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's not official until Mikey has him in his sig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It's not official until Mikey has him in his sig

The kid stays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I dont mind Rooney being in the know about targets, last contract in his prime and wants to see top players signed and have another go at the CL etc.What I do have a problem with is the money being quoted, if true get rid. Its pure greed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I don't mind a senior player being in the know or even privately voicing their opinion on signings and I don't care what money he's on if the manager feels it's best but unless a certain No. 15 is leaving the club in the summer, Rooney shouldn't be getting the captaincy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

nuxxx wrote: »
    I dont mind Rooney being in the know about targets, last contract in his prime and wants to see top players signed and have another go at the CL etc.What I do have a problem with is the money being quoted, if true get rid. Its pure greed

Only paper talk at the moment but if true I'd agree, it's insane money and the epitome of a greedy football world gone mad.

No player is worth that, Rooney or otherwise. I'd sell him and use the money towards rebuilding with players who actually want to play for United (Rooney has tried to engineer a move more than once and has basically held the club to ransom, and I find it amazing how so many of the fans are willing to pander to his every whim).

300k a week for Rooney is about 15 million a year, which is less than Aon pay to sponsor Carrington for the year.

With 18 months left on his contract, selling Rooney and getting an adequate replacement makes little sense from a football or business perspective versus paying him an extra 2.5 million a year to stay.

What they do on the pitch is what matters and 15 million a year to Rooney would be better value than 6 million a year to Young. That 6 million should be used to triple David de Gea's wages and get him to sign for ten years! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Not sure if this is posted..

2014%2f1%2fTop-7-Clubs.jpg

Kinda shows that conversion rate is a fairly useless stat.

Telegraph reporting that ManUtd and Chelsea are in for Shaw and valued at 30 Million.

So whom do you prefer? Shaw or Coentrao given the choice?

I'm a big fan of Coentrao and IMO he is bit underrated defensively. He is just 25 years old and will be 26 before the season ends. Perfect age and we might get around 7-8 years of service before even thinking about LB spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think I prefer the Fergie 'your job is to perform on the pitch' approach to this pandering to a player who wants to leave. You don't want another Chelsea on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    So whom do you prefer? Shaw or Coentrao given the choice?

Potential-wise, it has to be Shaw for me, and that's from only seeing him a few times.
    Coentrao would be a decent experienced player to bring in if we couldn't get Shaw but Buttner should be moved on in the summer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Luke Shaw could be another Jon Harley, crazy money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This may be pretty ignorant of me, but every time I hear people crying out for Shaw my Phil Jones alarm goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The Luke Shaw money is crazy alright, the Coentrao 'loan with option to buy' rumor sounded too perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Shaw seems way too expensive to me, there's always a premium on English players. I would be you could get someone just as good from the continent for half the price or less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I'd go for Shaw. He's British so I'm sure he's not being overvalued at £30m. He could be the next Wilfried Zaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Baines signed a new deal. Strange how that fizzled out, although i dont think at 20m he was what we needed. Shaw has a lot of potential, ive seen him play a lot and i kind of wonder will he develop into a winger or stay as a full back. He has great feet and can go by people but 22-30m for an 18 yr old is a lot of dough.

Coentrao is a decent player but from what ive seen of him in the last couple of seasons he will be no huge improvement on Evra. An improvement yes but probably only in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

keith16 wrote: »
    Rooney is probably no different to any of us on here. He is obviously eager that united get the right people playing for the club.

He is a senior squad member and I think it's good that he is displaying this kind of leadership.

No harm that he gets what looks to be reassurances about the direction the club is moving in.

Now go F on that for a while :D

Rooney is eager for better players to come in, once the better player that comes in doesnt affect rooney's role in the team. He didnt display great leadership when Rvp was signed last year and took over from him as the main man at Utd. I think utd would be crazy to give him a 5 yr deal on the money reported unless they plan on him being the main man for the next 4 years atleast.
    There is no problem with players being informed of targets its standard practice but dont let them have a say as all players are out for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I just don't see the issue with this Rooney story, not when you look at it dispassionately.

Yes, Rooney has done things that have annoyed me. I've been a vocal critic of Rooney, Moyes and Woodward, but in this instance I just don't see the issue.

Rooney is a top talent - we want to sign him to a new contract and we are currently struggling, with our ambition being questioned. I don't think it is unreasonable that Rooney would seek assurances that the club will be ambitious to remain competitive during the final peak years of his career. I would be surprised if Rooney didn't seek assurances. With the question asked - I don't think Rooney or his camp would be happy with being told "We have our targets now keep yer nose out". Surely Rooney and his camp could just turn around and say the only thing we did in the summer was low ball Barcelona for Fabregas, then panic in the last week. Ronaldo and Bale moves were never officially confirmed so if you don't want Rooney know transfer plans those two bids couldn't be used to back up a point. Rooney asking for, and being given, proper assurances as to the ambition of the club, isn't a big deal imo.

Had we brought Ronaldo 'home' I can imagine the same type of conversation would have been had.

I'd be surprised if Mata wasn't assured he wasn't the only 'Mata-level' signing being planned.

If RVP had his contract running down and needed proof United were the place for him (given his rumoured dissatisfaction with how we set up/play) then assurances over future targets (and thus, hopefully, a change in style) isn't unreasonable.

If Rooney was being given a vote, that would be wrong, but aprised of plans? Meh.

I would also say, and this is purely personal conjecture, that Rooney has only been made aware of immediate plans (this window and next), and his previlidge here could end with that. I would be surprised if Rooney was kept aware on an ongoing basis.

I'm not saying EVERY player should be made aware - but the top players at the club, I don't see the issue. It is a sensible approach in a time of major upheaval and uncertainty at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Well at least that's the Baines saga over with.

Moyes may actually have to scout a new left back at someplace other than his last club and perhaps younger than 29!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rooney for me epitomises what is wrong with the modern footballer. Not once but twice he has held ye to ransom and to reward him ye are going to make him the highest paid player in premiership history?
    He has 18 months left on his contract the smart move is to let him run it down and walk then, he will be nearly 30 then. By then he will be near burned out, he is playing first team football since he was 16 and he's not a player who has looked after himself properly over the years.

As a Liverpool fan I watch Rooney and he could have been the best but just didn't want to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Tell De Gea everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

According to the guardian we've rejected a bid from PSG for Januzaj

Whether it's true or not, STAY AWAY:mad:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/26/manchester-united-reject-paris-saint-germain-bid-adnan-januzaj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

You guys are crazy, do you honestly think any professional in ANY industry doesn't look for reassurances / road map of where they want to be going in the next few years.

If I'm in a job interview, you don't just have to sell yourself they have to sell to you, it's no different in any business in the world, and football is a business.

United can afford the money, United are weaker without Rooney, it makes sense to keep him. Couldn't care less how much he's on, if it keeps a player at his peak at the club then pay the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I hear Rooney is goina have a say on who gets picked and tactics next :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Would have loved Baines but not for £20 million plus considering that hes a 29 years old. Its a shame though that a player of his quality may never play in the champions league, Everton have a great chance this year but i can see them falling away in the coming months. Would love to see them qualify if it wasnt at our expense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

With Fabio off to Cardiff and Baines signing a new deal, it seems there could be some merit to the Shaw bid, unless of course we hare happy for Buttner to cover for Evra should he get injured/need

FutureGuy wrote: »
    With Fabio off to Cardiff and Baines signing a new deal, it seems there could be some merit to the Shaw bid, unless of course we hare happy for Buttner to cover for Evra should he get injured/need

reckon we could see a bid for Luis Filipe, At.Madrid, this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I just don't see the issue with this Rooney story, not when you look at it dispassionately.

Its the bigger picture though, the issue of who is more important, the club, the manager, or the player?

We have banged on all season about how United have lost that fear factor, and about the influence of Fergie. Well if you want to know where that fear factor came from then just look at the different manager responses to the same request.

Fergie had a very clear opinion about the importance of any one player. Nobody was irreplaceable, and he felt no qualms about telling Rooney it was none of his business who was going to be signed. Thats where the fear factor came from, he was the boss and incidents like that reinforced the idea all the time.

Moyes on the other hand appears to feel Rooney is irreplaceable and will give him what he wants to try and keep him. Whether that is a correct decision in and of itself doesn't matter, its the long term that matters, and Moyes is showing that players do have power over him.

Moyes shouldn't be pandering to any player in that dressing room, whether it is Rooney or Macheda. Frankly the best thing he could do right now is tell Rooney to jog on, and firmly establish just who is boss at Manchester United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I don't think anyone has any issues with players been kept informed of the direction of the club - it's the pandering to Rooney that gets people, this 'please me or I'm off' attitude.

Not sure why Rooney is getting so much stick in various forums and on boards.

Media haven't got a clue on the exact wages and bonuses. They are just playing guessing game.

Here is the article from Guardian last year.
    Only two years remain on Rooney's current £300,000-a-week contract and if fresh terms can be agreed they will be on a more incentivised basis, in line with a widespread move in the domestic game.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jun/22/manchester-united-wayne-rooney

Then 6 months down the line, this is what Guardian published.
    United have also shown a willingness to reward him financially, with reports of the deal being worth £300,000 a week. It may actually be below that figure but Rooney will have a testimonial as part of the agreement and the figures are still significant for a player who will turn 30 next year. Rooney can also expect to be made captain at some point in the next few years.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/26/wayne-rooney-david-moyes-manchester-united-transfer

So he is on 300K (existing contract) and he will get financial rewards and still be on 300k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

quad_red wrote: »
    Moyes may actually have to scout a new left back at someplace other than his last club and perhaps younger than 29!

Fabio Coentrao, who we bid for in the Summer, is 29 or older and plays for Everton? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Scouts were watching Luis Felipe again this week but if was an Atl Madrid player i wouldnt be going anywhere in this window if i was playing every week for a team that chasing 3 trophies. Imo they are in with a great chance of winning La Liga this year & could be the big suprize in the Champions League. The obvious one now is Luke Shaw

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have no problem with Rooney being told who we are going to sign (if that's even true at all).

We were all here moaning (and rightly so) about the fact that we have refused to sign top players or address glaring weaknesses for years.

Imagine if those decisions had a direct impact on your own career? Football is Rooney's career. He likes to win lots of trophies and he will probably want to sign with a club that is laying the proper groundwork for future success.

Rooney is not a Giggs or a Scholes who love the club and will always love the club. On the other side of the coin, he's also not a mercenary.

Who cares if he want's to be on 300k a week. That's great. If I worked hard, I'd want a raise too!!!

He is a footballer that plays for Manchester United. Don't take his decision to sign for the club as a declaration of love for United - it's much better than that - it's a signal from a world-class player that the club is moving in the right directing under the new manager.

Keeping Rooney will be a huge positive for us. For the first time in a while, I'm very confident that we are pushing in the right direction for the first time in years.

Its the bigger picture though, the issue of who is more important, the club, the manager, or the player?

We have banged on all season about how United have lost that fear factor, and about the influence of Fergie. Well if you want to know where that fear factor came from then just look at the different manager responses to the same request.

Fergie had a very clear opinion about the importance of any one player. Nobody was irreplaceable, and he felt no qualms about telling Rooney it was none of his business who was going to be signed. Thats where the fear factor came from, he was the boss and incidents like that reinforced the idea all the time.

Moyes on the other hand appears to feel Rooney is irreplaceable and will give him what he wants to try and keep him. Whether that is a correct decision in and of itself doesn't matter, its the long term that matters, and Moyes is showing that players do have power over him.

Moyes shouldn't be pandering to any player in that dressing room, whether it is Rooney or Macheda. Frankly the best thing he could do right now is tell Rooney to jog on, and firmly establish just who is boss at Manchester United.

Ah come on now, that's just horse****, Fergie a man at the helm of United for 20+ years succumbed to Rooney's pandering once already and put him on the £250k a week he's on, effectively he enabled him.

Do you think when a manager of 20 years needs a player and is willing to bend over for him that a manager who's new in the job and "CANNOT" lose Rooney won't do everything in his power to keep him.

It's leverage and Rooney knows he has plenty of it, hence the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

If we cant get a LB before the close of the window would a 6 month loan bid for Ashley Cole be absolutely crazy? I remember us being linked with him two years ago under Fergusons tenure.

- Chelsea have shown they're not against dealing with us.
    - The player should want to come given that he's not first choice and will want a WC spot.
    - We can focus on a permanent replacement in line with a largescale overhaul in the summer.

I still think he's one of the best in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

If we cant get a LB before the close of the window would a 6 month loan bid for Ashley Cole be absolutely crazy? .

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ah come on now, that's just horse****,

Stopped reading here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Nobody actually knows what Rooney (or indeed any United player) is paid in salary. It's not made public. All we have are the wildly varying estimates from the press. Some of these may be accurate and sourced from leaks or contacts at the club, or close to the player. But even then, we don't know which ones are accurate or indeed what portion of the figures are the player's base salary, and what portion are made up of bonuses, image rights, third party sponsorship or other sources.

That complete lack of actual knowledge makes caring about a player's wages pointless for a fan. Only the club's accountants in combination with the coaches can decide whether the package offered to a player is affordable / worthwhile.

I'm all for discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the squad, tactics, potential transfers and all the rest. But we really know feck all about the minutiae of player contracts and it's one area that you just have to trust the club.

If they can agree a new contract for Rooney, the details are irrelevant. Do it.

As you can imagine I haven’t had time to spare. After flying from London by helicopter and having a fantastic reception I spent the day completing my medical and, later, I signed the contract. On Sunday I met my new team mates and I had my first training session with them. By the way, the facilities at the Carrington training ground are top level. Spectacular!

http://blogs.grada360.com/juanmata/en/2014/01/27/es-el-inicio-de-un-nuevo-camino/

Mata's blog..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Don't know where to start with this. Just because a player gets assurances about who we are aiming to sign doesn't mean he's beigger than the club or manager. So when Rio and one or two others supposedly approached Fergie on the plane back from Lisbon urging him to sign Ronnie, they should been told "shut up and worry about yourself". The days are gone when managers rule with outright superiority. Managers know that players hold a lot of the keys when negotiations come around and if a player is unsettled these days, its quite easy to force a move.

As for getting rid of him, have you seen us this year and how much he carried us for a long stretch of the season? You can't just go around kicking out world class players. Moyes is finding his feet. In time he will be a dominant figure if he wins trophies and establishes himself. But until then he has to play ball.

Maybe things will change over time though - as I said - it is a time of massive uncertainty at the club. I don't think it is unreasonable to be asked, and to give, assurances as to the ambition and plans of the club in the immediate future, to arrest the current slump in competitiveness.

I simply don't see it as pandering, I see it as sensible and likely fairly common practice at the top level, where players are near irreplaceable.

I also wonder, as a tangent, if Fergies response would have been different if it was Ronaldo asking the question and not Rooney.

If Rooney was demanding certain players be bought or sold or played - I would have a big issue with it, I just don't think being told who we are looking to get in the next 7 months is that big a deal.

Fecking hell, I reckon I have a good idea who we are going for due to United people telling journos the scoop 'off the record', I hardly think United giving Rooney the same info is a massive deal.

As for firmly establishing who is boss.....

Moyes has just done the opposite of Fergie with the player Fergie wanted shot of, a player Fergie had no time for anymore, at a time when Fergie's influence and presence has been said to be an issue. I think dealing with Rooney as he wants to deal with Rooney and keeping Rooney because he wants to keep Rooney and feels he can be a vital player for United (and this seasons performances would back it up) would go a good way towards establishing himself as boss at United.

If he behaved the exact same way as Fergie, with the same player, it could have also raised quesions re. his authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

If we cant get a LB before the close of the window would a 6 month loan bid for Ashley Cole be absolutely crazy? I remember us being linked with him two years ago under Fergusons tenure.

- Chelsea have shown they're not against dealing with us.
    - The player should want to come given that he's not first choice and will want a WC spot.
    - We can focus on a permanent replacement in line with a largescale overhaul in the summer.

I still think he's one of the best in the world.
    so you want us to replace one aging left back who's form has dropped with another?

To add to my initial point about Rooney's wages, this is what Guardian reported in 2010 when he signed new contract.
    Rooney has become the best-paid player in the club's history by agreeing to a deal that doubles his wages to around £180,000 a week, after Sir Alex Ferguson talked him out of his apparent desire to join Manchester City.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/oct/22/wayne-rooney-staying-manchester-united

So Guardian reported that Rooney is on 180K then 250K follwed by 300K wages.

Stopped reading here.

Re-read it. It is horse**** and I've given a perfect example of why.

Fergie done exactly what moyes has done, thus enabling him and given him the platform to do it time and time again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

To be honest I couldn't care less what wages Rooney's on, or what special privileges he gets, as long as he gives his all on the pitch and helps us win games.

Some people are citing Ferguson's stance that no player is bigger than the club as the way Moyes should be doing things, but I remember Ferguson giving Rooney assurances that some good player would be signed and gave him new contract too.

Also if Ferguson gave us the fear factor, I think Rooney is the best placed to do that currently. The manager doesn't really do it and possibly only Mata and RVP will strike fear into the opposition close to how Rooney does. So I think the club should do what they need to to keep Rooney happy, as long as he returns the favour with his performances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement