Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

magnumbud wrote: »
    so you want us to replace one aging left back who's form has dropped with another?

Has Cole's form dropped?

Evra is done, he's a serious liability at this stage, whereas Cole is in fierce competition with Baines for the England LB spot.

I had forgotten that Chelsea just loaned out Bertrand which means it's very unlikely they would consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If Moyes sees Rooney as being important to his future plans and Rooney is ambitious and wants the best for the club to be convinced he can have another go at he CL and other titles, and it is Moyes telling him who he plans on going after, I don't see the problem.
    'Hey Wayne, we are planning on trying to sign Mata, trying to get Vidal, Kroos or Reus, and a left back, do we need to be planning on a new striker in the future? Are you going to sign a new contract?'....

Mata signed, talk of Rooney staying and the future looking a lot brighter, and some are unhappy that Moyes and Woodward have seemingly convinced our best player this season to stay.
    Mata and Rooney deals would show belief in the plans of Moyes for the club.

I think most are happy with most of the players United are linked with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Anyone know if the press conference today will be streamed live anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Has Cole's form dropped?

Evra is done, he's a serious liability at this stage, whereas Cole is in fierce competition with Baines for the England LB spot.

I had forgotten that Chelsea just loaned out Bertrand which means it's very unlikely they would consider it.

Cole has declined a good bit, not as much as Evra but still wouldn't be one to rely on anymore. United should look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Doubt he would want to sit on the bench when he will more than likely be playing Premier League football next season anyway. Will probably sign a new deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Johner wrote: »
    Doubt he would want to sit on the bench when he will more than likely be playing Premier League football next season anyway. Will probably sign a new deal.

Dont understand why any goalkeeper with any ambition would sign for a club knowing they will spend a whole season on the bench & might play in a few league cup games. I think of Harper at Newcastle who done it for about 15 years. How couod you look back on your career with any pride. Obviously someone has to be 2nd choice but in Kaspers caseit would be s bad career move & im sure Big Pete would advise him of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The news just keeps getting better. Baines signs an extension with Everton

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

So lads and ladies 4days, 10hrs & 55min left in this transfer window - what yer predictions? happy with just Mata? or expect one or more signings?

I think we will sign one more possibly two (LB &CM) - hopelessly optimistic but here goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Headshot wrote: »
    The news just keeps getting better. Baines signs an extension with Everton

Agreed, £20m+ for a 29 year old was always madness.
    Then again £30m+ for a 19 year old would also be madness, is he really that good? Lots of potential, but there are enough in the team/squad with potential (Smalling, Jones, Powell etc).

Signings need to be established players to make an immediate improvement to the 1st team, so Coentrao would be my choice. A loan deal until summer with an option to buy for about £10-12m makes far more sense.
    If Shaw, or any other youngsters become available for ~£15m then by all means get them, but not at £30m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 14m
    To re-iterate, Rooney has been informed about transfer business, vision etc - that's NOT same as demanding influence, choosing players

Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 10m
    Story seems to be gathering Twitter legs, but it's not Rooney demanding say on transfers, naming targets etc. Still an unusual one, clearly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think there will be a flurry of reported activity in the coming days, along with SSN on deadline day, but ultimately nobody else will be signed until summer. Barring perhaps some cheap, young unknown(s) for the future.

Anyone know if the press conference today will be streamed live anywhere?
    Live on Sky Sports News if that's any good to you lad.

paulbok wrote: »
    Agreed, £20m+ for a 29 year old was always madness.
    Then again £30m+ for a 19 year old would also be madness, is he really that good? Lots of potential, but there are enough in the team/squad with potential (Smalling, Jones, Powell etc).

Signings need to be established players to make an immediate improvement to the 1st team, so Coentrao would be my choice. A loan deal until summer with an option to buy for about £10-12m makes far more sense.
    If Shaw, or any other youngsters become available for ~£15m then by all means get them, but not at £30m.
    From what I have read and after talking to a big Real supporter in Madrid the Coentrao might very well be off with Real deciding not to let him go but I suppose money talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I see no issue with Rooney being advised of the vision, plans and potential targets of the club. I would imagine this happens when trying to allure any big signings to the club, nevermind retaining an asset.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this so will apologise if so (skipped a few pages) but this is pretty normal in any proffesional business, interview or contract negotiation. I had to find a new job recently after being made redundant and had similar experiences.
    Some places treated it like a run of the mill interview, grilling me and querying me on this that the other. However some of them were 100% selling me their company. Slideshow presentations, visions on where they see me going and what I'll be doing, where the company will be going and what responsabilities and options I'll have down the line.

In the end I had a few options, and went with one which for me I couldn't look past, and it was one who gave me this selling pitch. I had a clear idea and vision on what I'd be doing, that the company does, and where things will be going for the next few years. I was advised on the expansion and growth plans, being given assurances I was joining a real healthy organisation with big plans. And throughout the interview process and meetings, they constantly kept in touch, making me feel important, and that I was someone they really wanted.
    As my boss said last week, they felt I was a real capture and thought it was a real win for him. And that sort of involvement and trust of being shown growth and strategy plans, along with the feeling of worth and want, pushed them ahead in the pecking order when it came to me making a decision.

I wouldn't begrudge, question, query or worry about a player at a football club being shown some plans for growth. expansion and possible targets. This is the clubs biggest asset, will probably be captain of the club hopefully soon. I'd be more concerned if Rooney walked and it turned out we made no effort showing him the ambitous plans ahead.

Press making something out of nothing tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think there will be a flurry of reported activity in the coming days, along with SSN on deadline day, but ultimately nobody else will be signed until summer. Barring perhaps some cheap, young unknown(s) for the future.

Yeah, I think we are done until the summer barring a LB or a punt on a young player. But still...you know...Mata and all that.

Get Fellaini, Rooney and RVP fit and firing and we'll be fine for the rest of the year. Get CL football secured and spend a hundred million in the Summer (and I do think we will see major rebuilding).

Exciting times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Any injury news for tommorow night, Fellaini/Rooney/RVP fit?

Wouldn't be surprised if RVP made an appearance, not sure about the others.

I think we could see all 3 being available for selection - I think Moyes didn't risk them v Sunderland and is now fully focused on 4th spot... he will try picking strongest possible team from every one of the 16 remaining fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Tony Kroos
    There are no talks scheduled in a timely manner. I concentrate fully on the second half (of the season). I can not rule anything out.

Leaving the door open for bids in the Summer i reckon. We should throw the cash at Bayern now and see what they say, they should at least consider the offer seing as he has only 18 months left.

Edit: Link http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1937749-manchester-united-transfer-news-toni-kroos-delays-new-bayern-munich-contract#articles/1937749-manchester-united-transfer-news-toni-kroos-delays-new-bayern-munich-contract

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I don't think wé aré in major need of à LB. Not until Evra goes. We have Buttner and Fabio, We don't need to go out and spend 20 something million on an overrated player like Shaw.

If Evra is sold into the french market and we get à décent price. Then by all means go in for a quality LB. But i don't think it's an immediate concern

astradave wrote: »
    Tony Kroos

Leaving the door open for bids in the Summer i reckon. We should throw the cash at Bayern now and see what they say, they should at least consider the offer seing as he has only 18 months left.

United can't sign Kroos - he's German. It's not the United way to have German players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I don't think wé aré in major need of à LB. Not until Evra goes. We have Buttner and Fabio, We don't need to go out and spend 20 something million on an overrated player like Shaw.

If Evra is sold into the french market and we get à décent price. Then by all means go in for a quality LB. But i don't think it's an immediate concern

Fabio is on his way to Cardiff on a permanent deal. Buttner isn't good enough for regular first team action and Evra has been poor all season. We most definitely do need a good LB as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

If we can sign a top CM and a LB in the next 6 months then we will be 90% of the way there. I think we should be looking at a striker and CB but signing a LB and CM should be a top priority in the next 6 months.

Fabio is going to Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

astradave wrote: »
    Tony Kroos

Not getting myself giddy over this, can't see it happening. He's an outrageous player, how or why they would sell him is beyond me.

Ugh just had a though if we did sign him, and if we didn't bottle it on Strootman last summer

RVP
    Kagawa Rooney Mata
    Kroos Strootman

Sweet mother of all things holy...... :(

Kroos looking for a big pay day from Bayern

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd love for us to line out like this tomorrow night...
    De Gea
    Rafael Smalling Evans Evra
    Jones Carrick
    Januzaj Kagawa Mata
    Rooney

With Van Persie coming on for Rooney, unfortunately with injuries we're not going to see all 3 on the same field. :(

Iv no problem seeing utd pay 30m for Shaw. Im convinced that he will be a WC player some day. Utd will be set in the LB position for years to come. No brainer for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was reading that post from Mata's blog,just wondering are any of the other Utd players bloggers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hmmmm

Be1mKPuCEAEfVJ4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

RasTa wrote: »
    Hmmmm

Is that Toure on the phone at the back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Headshot wrote: »
    Iv no problem seeing utd pay 30m for Shaw. Im convinced that he will be a WC player some day. Utd will be set in the LB position for years to come. No brainer for me

This window is our only chance to sign him IMO. Cole will be leaving Chelsea next summer and they will throw the cash at Southampton to get him signed. And if rumours are to be believed then he's more favourable to joining Chelsea. Only chance is making a solid offer for him and selling the club to him in order for him to join rather than stay put for the rest of the season.

Don't think its likely though. Coentrao isn't either unless Madrid sign a left back this window (which I doubt because they're more than likely waiting for that LB from Granada - Siquera to finish his season long loan in the summer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Half kit wanker?

No 8 jersey for Mata.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 31s
    BREAKING: @JuanMata10 will wear the no.8 shirt for Manchester United. #mufcmata pic.twitter.com/Isblh1HqXO

Be_WHkwCUAAjxXU.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is Ando gone on loan, or actually transferred?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

On loan for now, but I don't expect him to come back

Andow is only gone on holiday and already his shirt has been given away. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

It's a loan with option to make it permanent isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Loan with a view to a permanent deal

No 8 jersey for Mata.
    That will do pig, that will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Saving no. 7 for Janusaj maybe? No 11 could be free next season as well.

Odd that number 9 has been vacant since Berbatov's departure. Could RVP not have slotted in there nicely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

TheDoc wrote: »
    And that sort of involvement and trust of being shown growth and strategy plans, along with the feeling of worth and want, pushed them ahead in the pecking order when it came to me making a decision.

Press making something out of nothing tbh.

You've hit the nail on the head here. Involved vs. informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Sure RVP took Fabios number when he went to QPR on loan.... I like it, something about 7 didn't fit for me, can't put my finger on it.

I can't wait to see him playing for us. Roll on tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Odd that number 9 has been vacant since Berbatov's departure. Could RVP not have slotted in there nicely?

RVP said he didn't want to change as so many people have bought v.Persie 20 jerseys, it wouldn't be fair to them if he changed it after one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I think it was one of those where he didn't want the fans who bought his shirt with 20 to loose out. Admirable call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

"Man United is a massive club. In England it is the club with the most fans around the world. It is a big challenge for me. But I think everything is going to be fine, with the players that are going to come in in the summer." - Mata

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Moyes on Mata deal: "I'm thrilled. I got wind a month or so ago that it could be a possibility. I never really believed I'd pull it off."

More from Moyes: "When we heard Juan would be available we went after him. Congratulations to the club and Ed Woodward for getting it done."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement