Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Neeson wrote: »
    I'll say it'll be no points again. Maybe one though. Maybe.

These things happen in cycles. I've accepted that now.

Why do you keep saying this? I don't get the joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Whats the double chance?

31/20 for Swansea best price. Personally I think that is skinny

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/man-utd-v-swansea/double-chance

Draw no bet bit more value imo. 7/2 generally

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/man-utd-v-swansea/draw-no-bet

I tend to focus on the over/unders market myself these days, but not every week either. Only done about 5-6 bets this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He's got a very particular set of skills.

Humour isn't one of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

J. Marston wrote: »
    Pff, I have no issue with it. Watching United lose has been crap but the small few € I've won because of their recent crapness has eased my suffering slightly.
    Get out of here - anyway do you not go into every match almost convinced we will win? - am I wierd or something? :pac:

irishfeen wrote: »
    Get out of here - anyway do you not go into every match almost convinced we will win? - am I wierd or something? :pac:

I do too, although I don't know how I continue to kid myself giving current form!!

• Advertisement

Never backed against United. I dont think we will lose tomorrow myself. Draw the very worst even w/o Rooney.
    I think we'll win with a big performance - (although I am a glass half full kind of person)

I do too, although I don't know how I continue to kid myself giving current form!!
    Ha I know ya - before kick off in every game I always manage convince myself we will win.

I think we'll win with a big performance - (although I am a glass half full kind of person)

I think we will get a performance that will get us the 3 points.

Im optimistic we will win tomorrow. But dont think it will be a 3/4-0 scoreline. A 2-1 or something.

I think that belief has been from past 20 years under SAF.

How many times were we 2-0 down and came back to win. You just knew we would come back, you just knew!!

cause more times then not we were right.

still think we have that effect even though its wandering down slowly under Moyes.

I think that belief has been from past 20 years under SAF.

How many times were we 2-0 down and came back to win. You just knew we would come back, you just knew!!

cause more times then not we were right.

still think we have that effect even though its wandering down slowly under Moyes.
    Yeah that might be most of it but still if you ask say a Sunderland fan the same at kick off he/she will convince themselves too - its the beauty of the beautiful game, its still 11 v 11 and starting honors even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Ritchie De Laet with a nice goal for Leicester. Sign him up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Chagan wrote: »
    Ritchie De Laet with a nice goal for Leicester. Sign him up!

Tell Ritchie, for him....

giphy.gif

It's too Laet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I've been backing United, my glass is empty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

I've been backing United, my glass is empty

Well then stop backing us for féck sake!!!!!! We can add you to the cause of our slip along with Moyes, Woodward, Glazers, Cleverley, Evra, Young, Valencia etcetcetc..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have/will never bet against United ... a part of me would die inside.

I did it last week for the Swansea game, the winnings are not much comfort tbh

kryogen wrote: »
    I did it last week for the Swansea game, the winnings are not much comfort tbh
    :( disappointing for you kryogen - for your sins, two hail Mary's, 4 our fathers and a decade of the rosary dedicated to our fearless leader Mr. Moyes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I had 20 quid on. 7/1 was a crazy price for Swansea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

While ye're talkin about bets Man City are 16/1 with ladbrokes for the champions league. Great price even if they have Barca in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You'd probably be making a decent amount by betting against United tbf, even if it does suck.

Looking at fixtures, we kind of need a result tomorrow. Away to Chelsea will more than likely be a loss, and then a few winnable games before the fixture list gets crappy with Arsenal, CL ties, Man City and Liverpool games, and LC final if we get there all in the space of a month. Those games could be brutal if we don't start improving

Ah lads, stop the lights!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I dont get people's major objection to backing against your own team. Its hardly like we're urging the team to lose or making them lose or anything. Its just a little safety net if and when we do lose (I made 350 euro on a 5 euro bet the time Citeh won the League in the last minute and felt so so dirty)

RasTa wrote: »

That was my reasoning alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i dont know betting against united feels wrong. its the same way i cant bring myself to have liverpool, city and chelsea players in my FF team or having players who are playing against united and score it just feels like im happy despite united losing which feels wrong.

im in no way saying any of ye are wrong in doing it but i'd just feel dirty if i did it myself. to each their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I wouldn't ever bet against United, but I'm not a big gambler at all - normally a weekly €5 accumulator is my limit!
    No problem at all with people doing it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

don't think I've ever bet against utd

I think its actually easier to back for/against your team when you watch them every week.

You know all the ends and outs and get those gut feelings that tend to be right a lot more then on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

RasTa wrote: »

PP have Swansea at 6-1 for tomorrow, just FYI

back page of Mirror tomorrow

BdpthdxIIAAeBU6.jpg

and guardian

Bdpt_bXIgAAUcK5.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I've backed United far more than I've not, but if you always gamble with your heart and ignore your head, you won't get far.

• Advertisement

Thats it, sometimes a price is just too big in comparison to how you think it should be priced up

When gambling I always leave emotion at the door, this normally means I dont touch United games at all so I dont have the added stress of money riding on a game as well as everything else :)

Im always afraid I am not seeing things clearly when sizing up a United match, so its safest to let it go. The 7/1 on Swansea in a cup game with so many injury problems on our side was too big for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Moyes, with Irvine alongside him, repaired fundamental problems at Everton before reviving the club on a consistent basis. Most of the problems, it is worth noting given his current predicament at Old Trafford, where Swansea City return on Saturday seeking a repeat of their FA Cup triumph, arrived in the early years when he sought to repair an imbalanced squad while convincing strong, experienced characters of his worth. Not that he inherited a title-winning team at Everton as he did at United, admittedly.

Moyes's second full season at Everton, 2003-04, ended with the club one place above the relegation zone. They had effectively sealed their Premier League status in April before embarking on a six-game winless run that sent the club plummeting before a summer in which Wayne Rooney moved to United and the former Everton director Paul Gregg engaged in a takeover battle with the chairman, Bill Kenwright. Gregg lost and the following season, with roughly £2m spent on Tim Cahill and Marcus Bent, Moyes guided Everton to a fourth-place finish and a place in the Champions League qualifiers.
    "A turning point in that 04-05 season was in the second game when we came from behind to win at Crystal Palace with 10 men. All of a sudden he seemed to have a lot more trust in his players and a lot more trust in everybody around him. He didn't have money to spend, he couldn't make 10 to 15 signings. Instead, he got the best out of everybody who was at the club at that time. He had good, strong characters in the squad and he utilised that and got his reward from working double-time. We all knew he'd still be at the training ground at 8pm, 9pm, watching videos and talking to his staff."
    Double the work rate, demand the best; those who have worked closely with Moyes over the years say similar things about how he will handle the incessant storm at Old Trafford. As Everton manager he won only one of the first 14 games of the 2005-06 season, exiting the Champions League and Uefa Cup at the first hurdle in the process, endured a run of one win in 11 in the winter of 2009 and even last season oversaw a calamitous FA Cup quarter-final defeat at home to Wigan Athletic, managed by one Roberto Martínez. The following week Everton beat the defending league champions Manchester City 2-0 with 10 men.

"I don't know anyone who has had a more thorough apprenticeship than David had," Irvine says. "People need to understand he was coming into a very difficult job. I've heard a number of things said about David recently but the fact of the matter is David Moyes is a fantastic manager. He will be a fantastic manager for Manchester United because he attacks things in the right way. He is having a difficult period at this time but I don't think that is completely unexpected."

Guardian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is 4th place in PL best MU can hope for now, no silverware

greendom wrote: »

Subscription required to view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What reality? Profit=success. If United become unsuccessful then the Glazers won't be able to use the club in the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Does anyone else think that either Rooney/RVP could be involved tomorrow? I know it's said Rooney gone to Cairo, and if that's true then is the 25 million spent on medical facilities at Carrington not working? Same with all the injuries picked up throughout the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I mean like liverpool being bad but now they look to be in the ascendancy. United were great but now seem to be having a bit of a poor run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Subscription required to view?

I copied and pasted and recieved a message askng me not to
    you can get a free subscription (as I have, which entitles you to view 8 articles a week I think)

Does this link work...?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f33253f0-79f5-11e3-a3e6-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2q2X0rmx6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Jesus earlier in the year lads were castigated for putting Liverpool players in their fantasy football team or even doing Fantasy Football....now we're all betting against united.
    Don't do it myself, though as a man who likes the horses I can appreciate the logic.

you can get a free subscription (as I have, which entitles you to view 8 articles a week I think)

Does this link work...?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f33253f0-79f5-11e3-a3e6-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2q2X0rmx6

It's probably because I'm on a mobile device. Will check on laptop later. Thanks.

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »
    Jesus earlier in the year lads were castigated for putting Liverpool players in their fantasy football team or even doing Fantasy Football....now we're all betting against united.
    Don't do it myself, though as a man who likes the horses I can appreciate the logic.

Odd, I am pretty sure the consensus was that people were not betting against United in numbers

Where does the Liverpool connection come from too?

Does this link work...?

Link works, but you still need to sign up to read it bud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

kryogen wrote: »
    Odd, I am pretty sure the consensus was that people were not betting against United in numbers

Where does the Liverpool connection come from too?

Just that I remember a discussion here about FF and whether you play it and lads were saying they didn't because they couldn't stomach putting in Liverpool or City players in their teams.

Surprised anyone here bets against United to be honest... though as I say I can see the logic.

I wasn't having a pop, just expressing surprise I suppose.

Its all about value. Its that simple at times. In horses its about having inside info too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Just that I remember a discussion here about FF and whether you play it and lads were saying they didn't because they couldn't stomach putting in Liverpool or City players in their teams.

Surprised anyone here bets against United to be honest... though as I say I can see the logic.

Surely people are not so immature that they cant play a 'fantasy' game because they will be putting other teams players in. Can they then not support their national team if players from other clubs are in it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Just started a new career with Swansea in Fifa, first game of the season against United and guess whose in the middle of the park..

Marchisio.

We're gonna sign him lads, I can feel it in me bones!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Just my example for last Saturday. A sneaky fiver on Swansea at 7/1. If United won great, when Swansea won had an extra 40 euro for drink to forget about the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Speaking of Savage did anyone read the blog Graham Le Saux wrote that is doing the rounds since Hitzlsperger came out?

He mentions some of the abuse he used to get in his playing days. Players like Savage, Ince, Fowler and Townsend get a mention. None of which come off well.

http://reflectionsasia.wordpress.com/2007/09/11/graeme-le-saux-how-gay-slurs-almost-wrecked-my-career/

They are all knuckle-draggers of the worst kind.

Fowler in particular comes across as a total coward. Unsurprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Only a complete idiot would have an issue with putting rival teams' players in their FF team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Pro. F wrote: »
    Only a complete idiot would have an issue with putting rival teams' players in their FF team.

Yeah if you were going by that logic there would be no point in playin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement