Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Off topic - Some rain out tonight. Belting down in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

keano2012 wrote: »
    I agree. Tbh it really only leave Kroos, vidal, herrara and gundogan who we could really sign to fill the cm gap who are all better.
    Honestly I don't think we will sign anyone else this window...reckon moyes prob thinks he has enough in giggs, jones, cleverly et al to get us through .

in fairness there is plenty of good cm's around that would improve the team.I know the one's you have mentioned are the players we have been widely linked with but there are lots of players who could be brought in.Someone posted up a list a few days back of players who might be available and worth getting in.The dream signing is Vidal but that is unlikely and I would say there is no chance of it happening in January .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

KH25 wrote: »
    "Significantly higher than £14million"

£114 million?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

yabadabado wrote: »
    in fairness there is plenty of good cm's around that would improve the team.I know the one's you have mentioned are the players we have been widely linked with but there are lots of players who could be brought in.Someone posted up a list a few days back of players who might be available and worth getting in.The dream signing is Vidal POGBA but that is unlikely and I would say there is no chance of it happening in January .

Edited that for ye ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

in fairness there is plenty of good cm's around that would improve the team.I know the one's you have mentioned are the players we have been widely linked with but there are lots of players who could be brought in.Someone posted up a list a few days back of players who might be available and worth getting in.The dream signing is Vidal but that is unlikely and I would say there is no chance of it happening in January .

Ya but we need players who will be able to compete against the yaya, fernandinho, Ramires, iniesta, xavis etc of this world not just a simple improvement on our mf because at the moment our mf is woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Cabaye is not what United need & imo not a top player..im happy that Moyes is thinking bigger & better and if it takes until the summer to get them then so be it. Lets not forget we have Fellaini who i think when fully fit & has a run of games in the team will be a top signing. He has been very poor in the games he has played but its unfair to judge him on those games with him not fully settled & playing with little niggles. I can see Carrick & Fellaini forming a good partnership for the remainder of the season

Ya but we players who we be to compete against the yaya, fernandinho, Ramires, iniesta, xavis etc of this world not just a simple improvement on our mf because at the moment our mf is woeful
    I agree we need major improvements but its unlikely any of the big names will move now but some of the lesser names that may be available would be good additions.I think the cm needs 3 players and would like one to come in now.
    Fernando would be a excellent addition and should be available or maybe look to Matuidi as he seems to want out of PSG.
    The only cm's I rate at United are Carrick,Fletch and Fellaini.Fellaini has a lot to prove and Fletch is only back from a long lay off.
    I think there are plenty of players available that will be a big improvement,help secure fourth and would still leave scope to make a big investment in the summer.

Ya but we need players who will be able to compete against the yaya, fernandinho, Ramires, iniesta, xavis etc of this world not just a simple improvement on our mf because at the moment our mf is woeful

Roy is that you....and the enda de day like......

those you've mentioned are different types of midfielders

Yaya a destroyer turned playmaker, fernandinho and ramires destroyers
    Iniesta xavi are creators....

we need one of each

Pogba for example seems to be more of a destructive players but gets forward and scores load so we'd need a destroyers still
    to go with him..you'd need someone who'd sit whilst Pogba would bomb on..

brinty wrote: »
    Roy is that you....and the enda de day like......

those you've mentioned are different types of midfielders

Yaya a destroyer turned playmaker, fernandinho and ramires destroyers
    Iniesta xavi are creators....

we need one of each

Pogba for example seems to be more of a destructive players but gets forward and scores load so we'd need a destroyers still
    to go with him..you'd need someone who'd sit whilst Pogba would bomb on..

What we need is another Roy keane or Paul ince...perfect....but Vidal or Kroos will do. Pogba can go and fcuk right off...wasn't prepared to fight for his place first time...he'll just leave when things won't go his way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Moyes is making all the right sounds now. If Mata is only the first then our future is bright. I'm almost wishing this season away now. Just get 4th and get it over with and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

I hope he clears out a load of the dead weight in the squad. Cleverley must be Sh1tting himself. Promote some youth into the team and mix them with some superstars and senior players.

What we need is another Roy keane or Paul ince...perfect....but Vidal or Kroos will do. Pogba can go and fcuk right off...wasn't prepared to fight for his place first time...he'll just leave when things won't go his way

is that supposedly any different to a certain R Keane or W Rooney who threatened to leave of things weren't improved

Fair play to the lad at least he stood by his convictions...and he's made the right noises about coming back, seems to be a fergie issue more than a united issue..claims he's a mancunian???

GSPfan wrote: »
    Moyes is making all the right sounds now. If Mata is only the first then our future is bright. I'm almost wishing this season away now. Just get 4th and get it over with and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

I hope he clears out a load of the dead weight in the squad. Cleverley must be Sh1tting himself. Promote some youth into the team and mix them with some superstars and senior players.

We promoted cleverly and welbeck..didn't turn out great did it!! Janazaj an exception mind!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I'd rather a player like Fernando rather than Cabaye tbh. Think about why Cabaye has had such a good season... He's playing #10 for Newcastle. I would rather a physical presence in there alongside Carrick, but also someone who can play the ball. Phil Jones' physicality has done the job at times but he doesn't have that control or pass, I believe Fernando would do a very good job.

brinty wrote: »
    is that supposedly any different to a certain R Keane or W Rooney who threatened to leave of things weren't improved

Fair play to the lad at least he stood by his convictions...and he's made the right noises about coming back, seems to be a fergie issue more than a united issue..claims he's a mancunian???

Ah now don't compare Roy with pogba...never....Roy is one of uniteds greats...pogba was a jumped up muppet who threw his toys out of his pram when he was told to be patient by one of the best managers in the game...raised the likes of giggs, scholes etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ah now don't compare Roy with pogba...never....Roy is one of uniteds greats...pogba was a jumped up muppet who threw his toys out of his pram when he was told to be patient by one of the best managers in the game...raised the likes of giggs, scholes etc

Letting him go was a huge mistake by United (Pogba that is)

Pogba was a promising youngster who left to get first team football after seeing Rafael played ahead of him in midfield. I have to say that I might have done the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Our next 12 fixtures! - here's hoping by 3pm on 29th March our season will have completely turned on its head, all except tomorrow nights match are broadcast here.

6i8b4n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

League is still mathematically possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Headshot wrote: »
    Im a huge fan of RVP but Mata trumps him, watching Mata walk on to that Old Trafford pitch in a red shirt will send chills down me

What a signing

25 year old RVP was just as impressive as Mata, it's a pity it took him until his late 20's to stay injury free for a few seasons.He could have been a ballon d'or finalist.

He is no where near as dynamic now, lost a good bit of pace.He had wonderful feet in his younger days, was able to beat defenders with ease with his elastico's, feint's, drop of the shoulder etc.

He doesn't do that anymore, goal against Blackburn in 2004/2005 season sticks in my mind, out on right beats 2 or 3 players and riffles it into the top corner, he can't do that anymore.

RVP that was playing alongside Henry in his early 20's, was sensational to watch.

Best years are behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Liamalone wrote: »

3d97326cc0d37865a2918ae8d1ece86c5d33123962b4303f8c073e6394bb42a8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Some quotes from Moyes in Daniel Taylor's article

"In his strongest warning yet that he is not going to tolerate any more underperforming Moyes said: "I am not going to accept it. I am disappointed we are not in a much stronger position. I am disappointed with how we have played. I, ultimately, take the rap for that. But what I will do is make it right. I am going to get better players in. Unfortunately I don't think there will be more in January. But it will change."

".......If you asked me what I needed most, I would have said a central midfielder. I could do with a left-back, too, but sometimes you don't always get the pieces of the jigsaw at the time. It's all part of a rebuilding process."

Seems like he won't buy for the sake of buying and wants world class signings.

Also says Mata will play 3 positions; left, right and behind striker.

Full article here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/27/david-moyes-manchester-united-juan-mata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Well, this is fantastic.

United fan posts on Twitter and says if we sign Mata he will get naked.

Follows through in the most spectacular fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Liamalone wrote: »

While Mata is a very welcome addition to team he can only play in one position!!!!......dross the likes of Evra have been playing will undermine any hope of that kind of scenario
    I would be delighted with 3rd or 4th as it will help a lot trying to entice players to sign in summer if CL football is on offer at OT next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Proof of that bet I mentioned from the other day lads.

I know no one asked for it. I'm just pleased with myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

"Juan has come to play three positions – off the right, off the left and behind the striker

I like his use of the phrase 'off the left' and 'off the right'. Hopefully it signals a change from 'on the left, back to Evra' and 'on the right, back to Smalling'.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    25 year old RVP was just as impressive as Mata, it's a pity it took him until his late 20's to stay injury free for a few seasons.He could have been a ballon d'or finalist.

He is no where near as dynamic now, lost a good bit of pace.He had wonderful feet in his younger days, was able to beat defenders with ease with his elastico's, feint's, drop of the shoulder etc.

He doesn't do that anymore,
    goal against Blackburn in 2004/2005 season sticks in my mind, out on right beats 2 or 3 players and riffles it into the top corner, he can't do that anymore.

RVP that was playing alongside Henry in his early 20's, was sensational to watch.

Best years are behind him.

I'm going to say, in my humble opinion, that you are talking absolute rubbish.
    @4:00 seconds, he beats defenders, feints, drops the shoulder, then scores.
    @4:27 he beats a defender all ends up for pace to take a touch and score.
    @5:55 the goal is so good I'd almost say it's NSFW

RVP was never renowned for blistering pace but I wouldn't call him slow. He is the very definition of dynamic, it's almost as if you've never seen him play.

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Proof of that bet I mentioned from the other day lads.

I know no one asked for it. I'm just pleased with myself :)

fair play man.I had nearly an identical bet done but had Peterborough instead of Swansea.The shower of ****e managed to lose after being 3-0 up.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

fair play man.I had nearly an identical bet done but had Peterborough instead of Swansea.The shower of ****e managed to lose after being 3-0 up.:mad:

Sickner. I got back to the apartment with about 15 mins left in the matches. City were 2-2 and palace just brought it back to 1-1. Next few minutes were joy and pain.

Tried to cover my bet then by sticking €300 in the Stevenage/draw double chance in the Everton match but for some reason paddypower online wouldn't take my bet. Thanks paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Had almost the same but I included PSG who drew with guingamp or someone poop. Only game that let me down out of 12 games. Would have been 1500 richer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Sacramento wrote: »
    I'm going to say, in my humble opinion, that you are talking absolute rubbish.
    @4:00 seconds, he beats defenders, feints, drops the shoulder, then scores.
    @4:27 he beats a defender all ends up for pace to take a touch and score.
    @5:55 the goal is so good I'd almost say it's NSFW

RVP was never renowned for blistering pace but I wouldn't call him slow. He is the very definition of dynamic, it's almost as if you've never seen him play.

His game has changed, don't kid yourself :rolleyes:

Used to beat players with ease before.

In the video you posted he beat maybe 2 or 3 players in total.

I'm not a fan of this version of Van Persie.

I liked that he played for himself.

The best of Van Persie, is the ability to go one on one with a defender, beat them and score.

Does it he do it as often?

He has been dire this season.

I've always been a fan of goals scored from great individual skill and that doesn't mean running through five players, i'm talking about putting players on their bums and turning defenders inside out.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    His game has changed, don't kid yourself :rolleyes:

Used to beat players with ease before.

In the video you posted he beat maybe 2 or 3 players in total.

I'm not a fan of this version of Van Persie.

I liked that he played for himself.

The best of Van Persie, is the ability to go one on one with a defender, beat them and score.

Does it he do it as often?

He has been dire this season.

I've always been a fan of goals scored from great individual skill and that doesn't mean running through five players, i'm talking about putting players on their bums and turning defenders inside out.

You mean the version that no longer plays for the team you support? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

United could go with 2 formations that would suit mata and roooney playing together

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

Deagea
    Raf-Vidic-evans-evra
    -Fellaini-carrick-fletcher-
    -Rooney-RVP-Mata

OR

Deagea
    Raf-Vidic-evans-evra
    -2 from fellaini/flecther/carrick
    --Mata-Rooney-Januzai
    RVP

Which formation do ye prefer, it basically means jauzai being sacrificed for an extra central midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

United could go with 2 formations that would suit mata and roooney playing together

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

Deagea
    Raf-Vidic-evans-evra
    -Fellaini-carrick-fletcher-
    -Rooney-RVP-Mata

OR

Deagea
    Raf-Vidic-evans-evra
    -2 from fellaini/flecther/carrick
    --Mata-Rooney-Januzai
    RVP

Which formation do ye prefer, it basically means jauzai being sacrificed for an extra central midfielder

The second one is way more likely to be honest, especially for the remainder of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Trilla wrote: »
    The second one is way more likely to be honest, especially for the remainder of the season

The first would be good against the tougher teams away in europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Just read this blog on the ESPN website.
    Talking of United, Red Devils boss David Moyes is considering a late move for Porto midfielder Fernando. Despite just landing Juan Mata, Moyes is desperate to further strengthen his midfield stocks -- especially in the defensive midfield role. But with deadline day looming, United could be foiled in their chase for their main targets, leaving the Brazilian-born Fernando the club’s best option. The Mirror is reporting that Moyes is believed to be weighing up a 7 million pound offer for the 26-year-old Fernando.

Maybe not the world class player that people want in this window. I think another world class signing may be beyond our grasp for this window. I think if we got him, it would be a good addition; especially at that price. Would definitely strengthen our options and add to the midfield.

Not really sure if there's any weight behind this article though, could be just complete speculation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We need numbers in midfield and he can't be as bad Cleverley surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Well, this is fantastic.

United fan posts on Twitter and says if we sign Mata he will get naked.

Follows through in the most spectacular fashion.

That was quite possibly the most disturbing thing I've ever watched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

You're very active these days Saucy, for a new joiner.

ARE YOU HOMER IN DISGUISE!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Vidal rules out leaving Juventus

Arturo Vidal has quashed talk of a move away from Juventus by declaring his intention to remain in Turin.

The Chile international has once again been in sensational form for the Bianconeri this season and has been repeatedly linked with a host of top clubs, including Premier League champions Manchester United.

However, Vidal, who recently penned a contract extension until 2017, insists that he has no intention of leaving Juve, either during the current transfer window or in the summer.

"Will I leave? No, I will definitely stay in Turin," the midfielder told Rai Sport.

Vidal was speaking after being named in the Serie A Top 11 at the Gran Gala del Calcio Aic 2013 awards ceremony in Milan on Monday night and was quick to pay tribute to his Juve colleagues for the role they have played in his nomination.

"I've scored 10 important goals for the team this season but I must give thanks to my team-mates," he stated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Anyone got the best link to stream the match tonight ? Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's a truly miserable and wet morning here in Dublin, but that doesn't Mata. United are playing tonight and I for Juan can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I know he's probably going to resign for Bvb permanently but I'd think we could do worse than Nuri Sahin in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Have a feeling that ous business in the transfer windown isnt done yet.
    Looking forward to Friday night - will be staying in on the dry watching SSN until 1am to see what unfolds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

kstand wrote: »
    Looking forward to Friday night - will be staying in on the dry watching SSN until 1am to see what unfolds.

Alternatively you could crack open a few tins of Guinness watching SSN and see what unfolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 1m
    998 - Manchester United have earned 998 points at Old Trafford in @PremierLeague history, more than any other team on home soil. Theatre.

1001 would put us on the right track again - 3 points tonight is a must for 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Alternatively you could crack open a few tins of Guinness watching SSN and see what unfolds.

A slippery slope - gym Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I would greatly appreciate that once the window shuts, some attempts at 4-2-3-1, would make me so happy. Failure or success, to just ditch 4-4-2 and go for something more solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

TheDoc wrote: »
    I would greatly appreciate that once the window shuts, some attempts at 4-2-3-1, would make me so happy. Failure or success, to just ditch 4-4-2 and go for something more solid.

Ultimately I think this is they way we will play but without a LB to replace Evra we are wide open. If we do get one I'd hope we switch to this ASAP. Between Carrick Fletcher and Fellani we would survive in midfield in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

kstand wrote: »

Same here,deadline day is no craic without having the club you support not been involved even though in saying that the last one was fairly painful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement