Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

NeVeR wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it seem like Sky Sports has way less premier league matches this season ?

Also tonight.. am I right in saying only 1 game is on TV ? Liverpool vs Everton on BT Sports ?

I know BT took some matches.. but Sky just seem to have nothing lately.
    Sky actually have more (by a couple I think) - BT paid massive but got quality first pick games meaning a lot of games on BT are catching your attention (like tonight) while sky (as they always had) have the big big games but they also have a significant number of lesser games (eg. Cardiff v Sunderland) to meet their quota's under the terms of their contract with the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Sky are finished lads..BT/Sentanta have the majority of top picks & with Sky having lost the right to show Champions League matches to BT the end is nigh. BT also have the FA cup, Bundesliga & Serie A

Sky are left with less Premier League matches, League Cup, Championship,League 1 & 2, La Liga, Copa Del Ray, SPL, Coppa Italia & Northern Irish league & cup

Very poor selection compared to BT

Sky are finished lads..BT/Sentanta have the majority of top picks & with Sky having lost the right to show Champions League matches to BT the end is nigh. BT also have the FA cup, Bundesliga & Serie A

Sky are left with less Premier League matches, League Cup, Championship,League 1 & 2, La Liga, Copa Del Ray, SPL, Coppa Italia & Northern Irish league & cup

Very poor selection compared to BT
    I wouldn't write sky off just yet, they are a massive broadcaster who can use the money they saved from the CL rights to win back some of the Premier League BT rights the next time round... Its a joke though that we are thrown in with the UK in order to protect "attendances at games" while France/Germany/Spain etc. gets all 380 games available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Delighted Moyes has come out and talked about wanting to improve the midfield and sign a lb.

Talk of wielding the axe should have players who are not performing working hard for the rest of the season trying to stay at the club.

He also talks about getting in quality players also which is a huge positive we need to move away from buying squad players and sign quality world class players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Does anyone know who Javier Martinez's agent is? Was thinking about it the other day when Moyes was at the Bayern game that he could be there looking at Martinez, someone who is ideal as a defensive midfielder (Spanish too, which Moyes seems to have a penchant for) and United were linked with heavily in the past.

Surprised he was not mentioned already tbh, apologies if he was and I was asleep the last few days.

• Man utd match not televised tonight:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,115 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't see why not. chelsea will be first city will finish second. we can get third. as has been said before arsenal will drop points. We are adding 3 world class players to this team right now. Rooney, Van persie and Mata. The way i see it Our season starts tonight.

Adding ? Rooneys been there all season, and well VP had an abysmal start.

Your putting alot of eggs into this sole basket.

Hope for improvement and let the rest take care of itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Does anyone know who Javier Martinez's agent is? Was thinking about it the other day when Moyes was at the Bayern game that he could be there looking at Martinez, someone who is ideal as a defensive midfielder (Spanish too, which Moyes seems to have a penchant for) and United were linked with heavily in the past.

Surprised he was not mentioned already tbh, apologies if he was and I was asleep the last few days.

Bahía Internacional Accordint to transfermarkt.
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/javi-martinez/profil/spieler_44017.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

irishfeen wrote: »
    I wouldn't write sky off just yet, they are a massive broadcaster who can use the money they saved from the CL rights to win back some of the Premier League BT rights the next time round... Its a joke though that we are thrown in with the UK in order to protect "attendances at games" while France/Germany/Spain etc. gets all 380 games available.

It must be the only industry in the world where increased competition leads to a worse situation for the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Sky actually have more (by a couple I think) - BT paid massive but got quality first pick games meaning a lot of games on BT are catching your attention (like tonight) while sky (as they always had) have the big big games but they also have a significant number of lesser games (eg. Cardiff v Sunderland) to meet their quota's under the terms of their contract with the PL.

this is probably the case... Last season we ( Utd fans ) where spoiled.. I think we where on Sky nearly every weekend... I've cancelled my Sky sports sub... so it's streams for me from now on lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

keane2097 wrote: »
    It must be the only industry in the world where increased competition leads to a worse situation for the consumer.

It's a bit of an odd one. The competition hasn't really increased, even though there are more players in the market, because another network can't just make more football in order to compete.

There's a definite amount of the product available and they're all just fighting to be the one to supply it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Always thought players on loan couldn't play against the team they're on loan from.
    Is it just arranged in some contracts or what way does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Always thought players on loan couldn't play against the team they're on loan from.

Part of the contract some clubs allow it some dont

I stand corrected they cant play due to a (imo) dumb league rule but are allowed in other cups if the parent club allows it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Zaha cant play as premier league rules dictate you cant play against parent club. Fabios deal will be permanent but 99% sure it hasnt been confirmed so also wont be able to play tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Yeah basically it's up to the clubs in question to put it into the contracts or not.

NTMK wrote: »
    Part of the contract some clubs allow it some dont

Its a premier league rule not a deal between the clubs. Certain leagues allow it like La Liga but the premier league dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

duffman13 wrote: »
    Its a premier league rule not a deal between the clubs. Certain leagues allow it like La Liga but the premier league dont.
    Yeah, that was my understanding of it anyway.
    I thought it was a loan deal for Fabio.

Yeah, that was my understanding of it anyway.
    I thought it was a loan deal for Fabio.

Yeah i think most people did but you can only sign one player from the same club so Zaha is loan and Fabio has to be permenent. Crazy really when i always thought Fabio was the better player in the youth teams but players develop differently even twins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

NeVeR wrote: »
    this is probably the case... Last season we ( Utd fans ) where spoiled.. I think we where on Sky nearly every weekend... I've cancelled my Sky sports sub... so it's streams for me from now on lol.

We had ESPN as part of your Sky sub last year, so it felt like they were on Sky the whole time.

I think I'm gonna cancel as well. I'm surprised by how many games BT have. Sky never seem to have any of the 12:45 kick offs anymore.

I'd kill for a season pass like they have with NFL and MLB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I'd kill for a season pass like they have with NFL and MLB.

Im a MLB.tv subscriber. It is Unreal Value, $110 for the season and bear in mind each team plays 160 odd games, you can watch every match whenever you want, over and over. It would be amazing to bring that in to the Premier League. Even if it was just to Outside the UK..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Well lets start with this match day. A draw in the merseyside derby, A win for us and for city. Will start us on a track for 3rd place by the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shocking isn't it.

Cancelled Sky Sports and Setanta package(although had this for a trial)

I simply can't justify paying for both, to watch United games, that I can watch you know where.

Can't help but feel clubs missed a trick with their official channels. Or even the Premier league themselves.

I'd happily pay a subscription to watch all my clubs games televised during the year. Find it odd that isn't there yet, I appreciate the financial reasons why, but still feel like in this day and age it should be kicked through.

As the above quote says, only market in the world where increased competition means reduced quality for the customer. I imagine it's only a matter of time before so many people abandon subscriptions to them both, one of them will have to jump ship and there will be a reset back to scratch.

Getting a combo of both Setanta and Sky Sports, in Ireland, comes to nearly €70 a month, just for the sports alone. No ****ing way can I justify that, and I justify a lot of outlandish purchases and subscriptions

astradave wrote: »
    Im a MLB.tv subscriber. It is Unreal Value, $110 for the season and bear in mind each team plays 160 odd games, you can watch every match whenever you want, over and over. It would be amazing to bring that in to the Premier League. Even if it was just to Outside the UK..
    The Premier League is making far too much money with Sky v BT v Others to change the system in the UK or around the world... they are rolling around on the cash generated from the current round of rights (reported to be about £3 Billion from BT/sky alone)

We are actually lucky for Setanta having the 3pm games because it means any United matches not on BT/sky are usually still available in Ireland.

astradave wrote: »

You can thank PL incompetence for the situation they're in now. NFL/NBA/MLB all have kept tight control of internet rights and told tv companies to go **** themselves. Premier league just bent over for sky and leaves us with little competition to tv

You can thank PL incompetence for the situation they're in now. NFL/NBA/MLB all have kept tight control of internet rights and told tv companies to go **** themselves. Premier league just bent over for sky and leaves us with little competition to tv
    Incompetence or downright intelligence - £3 billion is a crazy amount of money to have rolling into the Premier League over 3 years just for tv rights in the UK.

Not to de-rail the discussion into grounds where mods need to step in but I can't see major demand for people to have BOTH Sky and Bt packages, in order to simply watch United.

That's a near €70 outlay a month, that's alot of money per annum. And least forgetting that you can't JUST get sky sports, or JUST get BT, you need a basic package that typically costs another €20-30 a month.

As more and more people go down the route of you know what, it's only a matter of time before there starts to be a diminishing returns. It doesn't take a genius to find a link to the thing that cannot be named, but it's unfortunate that whilst I can't justify €800_ a year for both Sky and BT, I could easily afford a number of other figures, if it was JUST to watch United games.

Surely the smart move would be for the PL to set up their own network that broadcasts every PL match and charge a subscription. Make it available world wide, cut out the middle men, make an absolute killing and satisfy the consumer all at once.

There must be some barrier to this, because it just makes too much sense otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I would have no problem paying 100 quid a month if it meant I'd get all the United games.

Incompetence or downright intelligence - £3 billion is a crazy amount of money to have rolling into the Premier League over 3 years just for tv rights in the UK.

NFL get $3.47bill (£2.1Bill) a year for tv rights and also have theyre own season pass which brings in a fair amount of money in itself

IF the PL said from the next deal onwards were holding internet rights Sky and BT are hardly in a position to say no cause there is no alternative league that will draw audiences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

What do you all make of the reports (albeit not wide spread) that Moyes will rekindle a previous interest last year for Bastian Schweinsteiger? Transfer rumour / report here - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/euro-transfers-schweinsteiger-united-radar-112523261.html

Also attached to the report is a glowing endorsement from Oliver Kahn that it would be a good move for the player.

We all know he is an amazing player but does seem to be picking up various injuries and does seem a little out of favour, though maybe a more dedicated Bundesliga fan can shine some light on his current situation.

He has made 10 league appearances - being taken off in four of those matches and scored one goal. Source is here - along with other notable stats - http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/bastian-schweinsteiger/profil/spieler_2514.html

Surely the smart move would be for the PL to set up their own network that broadcasts every PL match and charge a subscription. Make it available world wide, cut out the middle men, make an absolute killing and satisfy the consumer all at once.

There must be some barrier to this, because it just makes too much sense otherwise.
    They would need to set up at least 10 premier League HD channels in every territory across the globe - that would cost massive money in satellite/cable carriage costs... trust me the way they are doing it at the minute is ingenious and an awful lot easier.

NFL get $3.47bill (£2.1Bill) a year for tv rights and also have theyre own season pass which brings in a fair amount of money in itself

IF the PL said from the next deal onwards were holding internet rights Sky and BT are hardly in a position to say no cause there is no alternative league that will draw audiences
    They wouldn't get next to near £3 billion from the UK broadcasters without exclusive broadcasting rights.

They would need to set up at least 10 premier League HD channels in every territory across the globe - that would cost massive money in satellite/cable carriage costs... trust me the way they are doing it at the minute is ingenious and an awful lot easier.

Surely it would be offset by the monstrous money they'd be bringing in. If Sky can make a profit from it even after paying out a ten figure sum to the league, then I still can't see the problem.

Alternatively they could offer such a service by internet streaming only and leave the TV situation as it is. There's a ton of money to be made there.

Anyway back to Man Utd and our little man Mata... :) anyone throwing a few pound on him scoring on his debut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

bullvine wrote: »
    I would have no problem paying 100 quid a month if it meant I'd get all the United games.

You'd pay 1,200 per annum jsut for the privilige of watching United games.
    That's madness!
    You'd get over to OT more than a couple of times for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Irishcrx wrote: »
    The puns have to stop now lads....really...

What's the difference between an egg and a JUANk?

It doesn't MATA!!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyway back to Man Utd and our little man Mata... :) anyone throwing a few pound on him scoring on his debut?

If he starts, yes. But not if he's only on the bench.

That's madness!

was wondering, surely that's a typo.

You can get season pass' for NFL, NBA etc. for like 150 bucks per year, and that **** generates a lot more money then the EPL.

I wouldn't pay €100 a month, no way, sure I can get the BT+Sky combo for €70 and get them all : /

• Advertisement

Surely it would be offset by the monstrous money they'd be bringing in. If Sky can make a profit from it even after paying out a ten figure sum to the league, then I still can't see the problem.

Alternatively they could offer such a service by internet streaming only and leave the TV situation as it is. There's a ton of money to be made there.
    A I said non-exclusive rights would plummet in value across the world unless PL Online matched the same cost as sky/BT/regional broadcasters and in that case it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Don't worry the PL have costed both I can guarantee you that and there is a reason why exclusive broadcasting rights are in place - the generation of billions from UK/World broadcasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is this TV rights discussion Man Utd related?

If he starts, yes. But not if he's only on the bench.
    Mata 11/2 with PP to be first/last goalscorer - might be worth a fiver :)

It is really because after paying for fcuking sky and BT we still can't watch the United match tonight because the PL basically classes us as part of the UK :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Those bets are usually voided if the player doesn't start.

Those bets are usually voided if the player doesn't start.
    Yeah i'll wait until 06:45pm to see what team will be lining out first...

• Advertisement

A I said non-exclusive rights would plummet in value across the world unless PL Online matched the same cost as sky/BT/regional broadcasters and in that case it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Don't worry the PL have costed both I can guarantee you that and there is a reason why exclusive broadcasting rights are in place - the generation of billions from UK/World broadcasters.

I still don't see it. If there was enough of a fall in TV subscriptions to devalue those deals, it would mean that it was being made up (and possibly outstripped) by the PL in internet subscriptions.

It would make a huge difference to the consumer in terms of convenience and accessibility. And potentially cost.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Corvo wrote: »
    What do you all make of the reports (albeit not wide spread) that Moyes will rekindle a previous interest last year for Bastian Schweinsteiger? Transfer rumour / report here - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/euro-transfers-schweinsteiger-united-radar-112523261.html

Also attached to the report is a glowing endorsement from Oliver Kahn that it would be a good move for the player.

We all know he is an amazing player but does seem to be picking up various injuries and does seem a little out of favour, though maybe a more dedicated Bundesliga fan can shine some light on his current situation.

He has made 10 league appearances - being taken off in four of those matches and scored one goal. Source is here - along with other notable stats - http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/bastian-schweinsteiger/profil/spieler_2514.html

Roy Keane would finally be replaced.

Cleverley would cry.

It does seem he is not key to Guardiola's plans, again the type of player United fans would love, he is 29 so a few years still in him if he avoided injury. Kahn telling him to join United if they go after him is a positive.
    Time running out...

That's madness!

Sorry, I meant along with other premier league games. Sure if you get everything now its around 60 a month isnt it.

I still don't see it. If there was enough of a fall in TV subscriptions to devalue those deals, it would mean that it was being made up (and possibly outstripped) by the PL in internet subscriptions.

It would make a huge difference to the consumer in terms of convenience and accessibility. And potentially cost.
    The Premier League are attempting to tackle the pubs across the UK and are bringing about 100 to court in England and Wales for copyright offences for broadcasting foreign subs... sky will/are working hard on ending CCCam sharing and within a few years will move to stop it completely by assigning one card for one box in order to clear channels.

The Premier League have ended the practice of all games being available across Europe at 3pm and no English commentary is allowed on any games - if fact I think they have stopped all 3pm games in Italy to combat the issue. They are though imo fighting a loosing battle because as you say the price of subscriptions are fast becoming too high to justify for the working man in UK/Ireland/Pubs trade.

bullvine wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant along with other premier league games. Sure if you get everything now its around 60 a month isnt it.

I meant for all games I mean.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement