Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Pro. F wrote: »
    Only a complete idiot would have an issue with putting rival teams' players in their FF team.

I don't have one utd player in my team and im top of our league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Surely people are not so immature that they cant play a 'fantasy' game because they will be putting other teams players in. Can they then not support their national team if players from other clubs are in it ?

See if you have rival clubs players in your FF team then you tend to be happy when the player scores etc. , but this conflicts with the team you support because you want your rivals to lose. It's nothing like the international comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I quit Fantasy Football after 3 months because I cared way too much about it and it ended up ruining football for me.

Always annoyed that so and so didn't score or whatever. Drove me insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting read here from Matt Lawton of the Mail.

It highlights some of the negatives of Moyes' reign so far but also busts some of the myths such as that Moyes just went in and fired all Fergie's staff and only names the squad a couple of hours before the game:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2537358/REVEALED-Confidence-shot-spirit-crushed-Moyes-struggles-steer-Old-Trafford-ship-clear-danger-uncover-REALLY-gone-wrong-Manchester-United-Fergies-departure.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Paully D wrote: »
    Interesting read here from Matt Lawton of the Mail.

It highlights some of the negatives of Moyes' reign so far but also busts some of the myths such as that Moyes just went in and fired all Fergie's staff and only names the squad a couple of hours before the game:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2537358/REVEALED-Confidence-shot-spirit-crushed-Moyes-struggles-steer-Old-Trafford-ship-clear-danger-uncover-REALLY-gone-wrong-Manchester-United-Fergies-departure.html

I havent read it yet, but just the last part there, that didnt come from myth, that came from Rio Ferdinand, on camera, talking about how the manager names the team late and how it is different to how the old manager did things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Interesting
    Rio Ferdinand confirmed that Manchester United tried to re-sign Cristiano Ronaldo last summer

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1676267/rio-ferdinand-tried-lure-cristiano-ronaldo-back-manchester-united?cc=5739

Interesting but unreliable
    Manchester United are ready to make a £24million bid to land Borussia Dortmund midfielder Ilkay Gundogan.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-target-ilkay-gundogan-3009353

Gundogan stared training recently too.

Aye, 24 mil will get that transfer done with the speed required

The only thing in the article that stuck out to me to bother me was the speculation that United are worried RVP will be out for another 6 weeks, that will be that if true tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

kryogen wrote: »
    The only thing in the article that stuck out to me to bother me was the speculation that United are worried RVP will be out for another 6 weeks, that will be that if true tbh

Yeah i'm thinkin Liverpool for 4th now tbh. No champions league next season would be weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

damn and I was thinking he would have been included in the starting line-up for the Chelsea game as a surprise and take them off guard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

RVP is back training I think, I doubt it will be six weeks

ah so there is hope he could be included in the starting line-up for the Chelsea game as a surprise and take them off guard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Came back from Holland today. Might just might be back for Chelsea

If he is coming back to training it will be today he will start, only arrived back from Holland on the 10th so he wouldnt have been training that day.

Moyes has said he is going to be another while out sadly, hopefully he is semi bluffing and he is back in the next couple of weeks. We need him

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Maybe United should dump the wingers, spend heavily on the midfield and at the moment we could do with Falcao given our striker problems.

Yes it is late so I can go to bed dreaming if unrealistic...

Gundogan--Vidal/Marchisio---Carrick/Fellaini(replaced with Koke in the summer)
    Rooney

RVP
    Falcao

With attacking right/left backs who can defend/not be injured most of the time. A 4-3-3 of sorts.

Yes, things are so bad I need to go to bed dreaming....fantasy football...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I know this. I said as much in my posts, we don't commit enough to the press, only some players do. Its half pressing from our MFs which to me is a dangerous tactic.

Well hopefully he can get it right at UTD. If it worked so well at Everton it should happen for us.
    I said I didn't know which it was but its more likely Moyes. The combination of Clev been asked to do that and him being poor at it is a recipe for disaster. Of course injuries and lack of signings have meant Clev is getting to much time in this role. Hopefully that changes for the rest of the season.

Agreed.

I should make it clear that I do agree with you that Cleverley isn't as good at judging when to push up and when to hold as Carrick or Fletcher would be. Although I think he is average at it and you probably think he is below that. Fellaini has the same issue of being played around when chasing up the pitch, I saw it plenty at Everton when he was in CM and it's still happening with him at United. I think a lot of CMs we might sign would have that same issue, it's just part of how Moyes sets his teams up to defend. I also suspect that Fletcher and Carrick might be confident enough in their own understanding of the game to ignore Moyes' instructions to an extent, which could mask the issue for a while.

As you say, hopefully the defensive side will gel soon and work like it did at Everton.
    Don't agree that he can't track back whilst staying on Johnsons radar. Johnson has a clear route to box, if Clev doesn't rush in but contains him instead there is no clear route to our box. CLev can hold at the edge of our box and Johnson will either have to try and beat him or pass.

Clev would never be instructed to hold at the edge of his own box. That's madness. Even the lowest defensive block (like Mourinho's Inter vs Barca) wouldn't have midfielders holding positions that deep.

Cleverley probably could have held back a few yards for where he engaged with Johnson, but like I've said, you see central players pushing up all the time like that in Moyes' teams and Clev did definitely have to close Johnson down. The idea that he should have held at the edge of his own box or that Evra should have been the one to go and close down Johnson first is just completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

JRant wrote: »
    I disagree as our play was just as laboured last season as this. There is a bit more emphasis on wide play under Moyes but the same ponderous passing and movement has evidently followed over from last season.

We defended very deep last year in more than just CL games. It had become very common for us to immediately drop off the opposition after losing possesion. Probably a case of necessity as Rio and Vidic just didn't have the legs to press high up the pitch. Same goes for Carrick who played very deep and as a result we struggled to link defense with attack.

We defended last year just like we always had previously. Some spells of dropping back when we lost the ball and some spells of pressing high. The only difference was how deep Rio and the back line dropped whenever the opposition came near them, but the team definitely still pressed up when chasing goals and looking to dominate.

With regards to how laboured the play was last year compared to this, we're just going to have to disagree on it and leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Pro. F wrote: »
    I should make it clear that I do agree with you that Cleverley isn't as good at judging when to push up and when to hold as Carrick or Fletcher would be. Although I think he is average at it and you probably think he is below that. Fellaini has the same issue of being played around when chasing up the pitch, I saw it plenty at Everton when he was in CM and it's still happening with him at United. I think a lot of CMs we might sign would have that same issue, it's just part of how Moyes sets his teams up to defend. I also suspect that Fletcher and Carrick might be confident enough in their own understanding of the game to ignore Moyes' instructions to an extent, which could mask the issue for a while.

As you say, hopefully the defensive side will gel soon and work like it did at Everton.

Clev would never be instructed to hold at the edge of his own box. That's madness. Even the lowest defensive block (like Mourinho's Inter vs Barca) wouldn't have midfielders holding positions that deep.

Cleverley probably could have held back a few yards for where he engaged with Johnson, but like I've said, you see central players pushing up all the time like that in Moyes' teams and Clev did definitely have to close Johnson down. The idea that he should have held at the edge of his own box or that Evra should have been the one to go and close down Johnson first is just completely wrong.

How can you defend this clown game after game, would any of our rivals have him in their team?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

If he is coming back to training it will be today he will start, only arrived back from Holland on the 10th so he wouldnt have been training that day.

Moyes has said he is going to be another while out sadly, hopefully he is semi bluffing and he is back in the next couple of weeks. We need him

On the otherhand I hope he isn't rushed back again. Need to try and keep him fit longer than 2 games this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Team I'd like to see today.

Rafael - Smalling - Evans - Buttner

Carrick - Fletcher

Valencia - Kagawa - Janujaz

Welbeck

If Fletcher plays we might enjoy watching a United match otherwise it'll be meltdown time around 8.

Daily Mail are reporting Fabio to Cardiff might happen this window, happy for him to have a chance to prove the doubters wrong, Nobody excelled at the circus that was QPR.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

beno619 wrote: »
    Team I'd like to see today.

Rafael - Smalling - Evans - Buttner

Carrick - Fletcher

Valencia - Kagawa - Young

Welbeck

If Fletcher plays we might enjoy watching a United match otherwise it'll be meltdown time around 8.

Surely Januzaj over Young (besides young is injured)

Unearthly wrote: »
    On the otherhand I hope he isn't rushed back again. Need to try and keep him fit longer than 2 games this time
    Moyes didnt give me that impression when asked about him today

Suggests he isnt in full training yet (particularly if Kew is right and he only came back today)

Certainly wont be ready for Chelsea and I dont wanna see him near the team till he is ready tbh, no point in getting a rusty 65 minutes out of him and being without him for another month

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Surely Januzaj over Young (besides young is injured)

Ha knew I was forgetting someone !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I know he's going to start but I wish Moyes would drop Valencia for Zaha.

Not sure what he's trying to achieve by constantly playing a hopelessly out of form player. Give Zaha a chance, he could be absolutely useless but change it up, just once, and give him a go.

Play Anderson instead of Cleverley too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Match thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88411540#post88411540

Seeing as I left match thread duties to a few others & our luck didn't change I decided to do this one as we won the last one I started:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

The persistence in playing Valencia is infuriating given how terrible he has been for 2 years now. Fergie seemed to have the same love affair with him too though.

He's not good enough defensively to be a decent FB. He's not good enough offensively to be a proper winger and he's too one footed to have a hope at playing CM.

I can only imagine it's his work rate & flexibility to switch to FB that gets him on the team sheet.

I wonder is there even a sniff of truth in the Gundogan rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Worrying thing about Tony V is that he used be called a one trick pony now he cant even do that one trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Gary Neville said that of 3 midfielders Schweinsteiger, Vidal and Muller, he'd rather United sign Muller

Is he insane :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

As I said previously I'd be very surprised if Gundogan left Germany before the summer, but if there is any whiff of truth in this, I'd be delighted.

One of my mates on facebook this morning was saying "Oh look how ****e we're gone, we're even bidding on injured players." One of these guys that seemingly look for any stick to beat Moyes with.

___

On that, does anyone remember us signing anyone while they were injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Al Capwned wrote: »
    As I said previously I'd be very surprised if Gundogan left Germany before the summer, but if there is any whiff of truth in this, I'd be delighted.

One of my mates on facebook this morning was saying "Oh look how ****e we're gone, we're even bidding on injured players." One of these guys that seemingly look for any stick to beat Moyes with.

___

Does RVN count given he had his knee problems and we persisted with trying to get him?
    I know he wasn't signed but still...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Al Capwned wrote: »

___

Pretty sure Rooney was injured when you signed him

Not sure if posted already but Fabio is going on loan to Cardiff for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

RobertKK wrote: »
    Maybe United should dump the wingers, spend heavily on the midfield and at the moment we could do with Falcao given our striker problems.

Yes it is late so I can go to bed dreaming if unrealistic...

Gundogan--Vidal/Marchisio---Carrick/Fellaini(replaced with Koke in the summer)
    Rooney

RVP
    Falcao

With attacking right/left backs who can defend/not be injured most of the time. A 4-3-3 of sorts.

Yes, things are so bad I need to go to bed dreaming....fantasy football...

Signing Falcao and not playing wingers would probably be the worst of Moyes' mistakes yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

zerks wrote: »
    Not sure if posted already but Fabio is going on loan to Cardiff for the rest of the season.

Would absolutely love to see Ole get the best out of him.

KH25 wrote: »
    Would absolutely love to see Ole get the best out of him.

Looks like Zaha will be joining him & we'll get £1.5 million as part of the loan deal.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/11/manchester-united-set-to-pocket-1-5million-as-wilfried-zaha-heads-to-cardiff-city-4258523/

good to see them gain game time but our team is looking very bare atm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As if I needed more reasons to watch Cardiff :D

zerks wrote: »
    Looks like Zaha will be joining him & we'll get £1.5 million as part of the loan deal.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/11/manchester-united-set-to-pocket-1-5million-as-wilfried-zaha-heads-to-cardiff-city-4258523/

Happy for Zaha. He needs game time and sitting on the bench was not helping. Would love to see both players really develop under Ole and come back and slot into the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

seligehgit wrote: »
    Interesting article by Robbie Savage on the 12 players that should no longer play for Man. Utd.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25665649

That's the 3rd time it's been posted. Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Any person who recommends getting rid of Smalling is clearly no one worth paying any heed to.

Any person who recommends getting rid of Smalling is clearly no one worth paying any heed to.

Especially when that same person thinks we should keep Evra...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

KH25 wrote: »
    Especially when that same person thinks we should keep Evra...

I'd be all for keeping evra as long as we get a good LB in as well.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I'd be all for keeping evra as long as we get a good LB in as well.

I would agree with that. I just think its ridiculous to get rid of Smalling but keep Evra. Smalling hasn't had a great season, no, but he has shown that he has great potential to be a very good CB. Evra on the other hand has been woeful defensively for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

At this stage would be happy to see Evans at lb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Unfortunately I can see us putting out much the same team as Tuesday night. Maybe Fletch for Cleverley and I'm hoping Kags for Giggs.

Fletch and Carrick with Kags playing as the link man could work very well.

This is a huge week for Moyes. A win today and next Sunday, suddenly were back in the hunt. 2 defeats and it's almost mission impossible for Moyes in the league.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Looks like we will get more enjoyment put of watching Cardiff for rest of this season :-(

(When it comes to style of play and curiosity of United related players)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its bad times when we are worried about Swansea beating us twice in a week, at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Probably posted already but could do with another post anyway

@rioferdy5: Come on boys....today we start our run....on & upwards we go. Ya support is fully appreciated #mufc

Hopefully all the lads are fired up and our good run starts today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Probably posted already but could do with another post anyway

@rioferdy5: Come on boys....today we start our run....on & upwards we go. Ya support is fully appreciated #mufc

Hopefully all the lads are fired up and our good run starts today.

the players have been coming out with this stuff the last month to month and a half they need to follow through with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Minus RVP and Rooney utd will struggle in final third again today I fear. Hope, like others, that Fletcher gets in ahead of Cleverly. However Valencia will most likely not create much, as is the norm for him these days, and utd will probably be looking to adnan again to play a killer pass.

A draw is the most likely result, but hoping utd might sneak it. Regardless it will be more tough viewing I fear as utd lack creativity, and will continue to struggle until midfield is reconstructed, or Rooney and RVP return to paper over those particular cracks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement