Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

That's a good stat! I think people give him a lot more flack because of the higher standard expected at Utd. However, with the squad that has been available for the most part this season I think some of the criticism has been harsh.

I definitely believe Utd can kick on from here. Big players coming back, Mata is a huge signing. I'm hopeful we can sign someone else before the window closes. If we can keep the bulk of the squad injury free for the rest of the season, I don't see any reason we can't finish fourth.

Only six points off fourth now, and teams like Pool and Everton picking up injuries, I'm sure they'll drop more points, which should enable us to make up some ground.

I was looking back at previous seasons points totals. The highest points total for a fourth place finish over the past five seasons was 73 points, by Arsenal last season. I think a lot of similarities can be drawn from them last season too. They had a very bad start but came good the second half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was disappointed with the team sheet when I saw it last night -dreaming as I am for a support three of Mata, Rooney and Januzaj off RVP, with a move away from the more traditional 442 (or close to it) and reliance on wing play. However, once the game got started and I cooled off from my initial disappointment - I can see good justification for the team last night.

1. The midfield wouldn't be good enough to give the dream front 4 the freedom required. Unlikely any midfield duo we could put out would be, but without Carrick or Fellaini, and Fletcher's fitness needing to be managed, the more defensive formation makes sense.

2. RVP and Rooney both coming back to fitness, so probably correct not to start both.

3. Januzaj has played a lot of games and we don't want to burn him out - last night was a good opportunity to rest him.

4. Mata is new to the team, one or two training sessions. Giving him a free role off the striker on his own makes sense tactically - you can just tell him to play football and do what he wants, basically. The tactical requirements of him are minimal, so it is an easier introduction to the team.

With more time and fitness, I would hope Moyes will do more to better incorporate the players we need on the pitch, but without signing a midfielder or two now, it might be next season before we can really judge how Moyes plans to use Mata (and the rest) - so I am going to try not jump the gun on his tactics right now. Signing Mata is, I hope, an indication a change will come, whether it is immediate or not.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/28/manchester-united-cardiff-city-premier-league-match-report

Loved this part from Moyes. Not sure whether he can match the talk with the performance but at least it's much better than the usual crap he used to come with after losing games.

Edit: Also saw this stat. Last year Everton scored 35 goals after same number of games but 1 point less than this season. So much for the attacking football Martinez is playing.
    Last year 6th position 41 points
    this year 6th position 42 points

Everton averaged 64 long balls per game last season and they average 65 long passes this season.

The Mata signing really seems to have changed Moyes - people on here will possibly remember one aspect of Moyes I was critical of (amongst many) was the way he spoke: meak, defeatist, always excuses and BS from him.

In the last week or so, he has seemed far more in command - basically told a load of players publicly the other day they were going to be sold in the summer cause they hadn't taken the chances he had given them. Calling a poor performance a poor performance regardless of the result.

Along with simply signing Mata, Moyes is finally starting to sound like the manager of Manchester United - and one with a vision beyond the bland crap we have been served up so far this season.

Moyes is finally giving me some reasons to get behind him.

Sign a CM or two in the next 3 days and I'll be delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Sign a CM or two in the next 3 days and I'll be delighted!

You'll be dissappointed i'd say. I think that's our lot.

GSPfan wrote: »
    You'll be dissappointed i'd say. I think that's our lot.

It won't be for lack of trying, is my impression.

Really I do think we need at least one CM, or we will remain in trouble. That CM pairing last night was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Cant see us geting 4th unless something is done to strengthen CM. We had a 40 year old man and a centre half in there last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It won't be for lack of trying, is my impression.

Really I do think we need at least one CM, or we will remain in trouble. That CM pairing last night was a disgrace.

Yeah I agree. I actually think in the summer we could see two world class CM's coming in but it's just too hard now in January. It would shock me to see a CM in this month.
    I've no real worries about catching Spurs and Everton, but Liverpool are still battering teams. Need them to start dropping points soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pro. F wrote: »
    The reason I am pointing this out is not to be pedantic, but because I think Moyes gets unfair criticism for supposedly being unsophisticated.

He gets criticism because whatever you want to call the formation it simply isn't working!

Call it 4411 or 4231 or 442 or whatever, it hasn't worked all season and yet Moyes has continued to play the same way.

GSPfan wrote: »
    I've no real worries about catching Spurs and Everton

You should be worried. I don't think a laboured victory over the leagues bottom side is much cause for believing we are about to turn things around. The return of Rooney and RVP will indeed improve the teams quality, but we have been waiting for United to go on a good run all season and it hasn't happened yet. I just don't see why people seem to think its a given that we will make up the ground on the teams above us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

He gets criticism because whatever you want to call the formation it simply isn't working!

Call it 4411 or 4231 or 442 or whatever, it hasn't worked all season and yet Moyes has continued to play the same way.

I can't think of any formations that work without CMs though. What formation would you suggest?

You should be worried. I don't think a laboured victory over the leagues bottom side is much cause for believing we are about to turn things around. The return of Rooney and RVP will indeed improve the teams quality, but we have been waiting for United to go on a good run all season and it hasn't happened yet. I just don't see why people seem to think its a given that we will make up the ground on the teams above us.

While it might be factual, describing them as 'the league's bottom side' in order to denigrate them is a bit disingenuous, no? There's 6 points between them and Swansea in 10th. There's feck all in it between the bottom 10. They're at the bottom of the Premier League, by a tiny margin - not the bottom of League 2.

While it might be factual, describing them as 'the league's bottom side' in order to denigrate them is a bit disingenuous, no? There's 6 points between them and Swansea in 10th. There's feck all in it between the bottom 10. They're at the bottom of the Premier League, by a tiny margin - not the bottom of League 2.

And?

We are losing to Sunderland and scraping by Cardiff and they are indeed the bottom teams in the league. Just why are we suddenly about to start beating everybody else? Because Rooney is back? I can't see it.

And?

We are losing to Sunderland and scraping by Cardiff and they are indeed the bottom teams in the league. Just why are we suddenly about to start beating everybody else? Because Rooney is back? I can't see it.

And that means that winning against them is a good thing, not a bad thing, which you seem to be try to spin it as.

If you don't think that going from losing to Sunderland, to comfortably beating Cardiff - a team of a similar standard - is an improvement, then I have to assume you just enjoy the buzz you get from negativity.

Is anyone saying United will suddenly start beating everyone? I might have missed that, because you're right that would be a ridiculous comment. The comment you responded to suggested United would catch Spurs and Everton, so unless you think that those two teams are going to beat everyone, I don't see what you're getting at.

Signs of improvement = good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

We beat Sunderland in the last game...

We beat Sunderland in the last game...

Struggled to a draw over 210 minutes would be a more honest way of looking at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

One thing was clear last night is that a midfield missing one of Fletcher or Carrick is going to struggle.

If we can't guarantee the fitness of those two players somebody needs to come in. How Fellaini will perform when he returns is up in the air but we won't make the top four with a midfield comprised of Giggs/ Jones/ Cleverley.

beno619 wrote: »
    One thing was clear last night is that a midfield missing one of Fletcher or Carrick is going to struggle.

If we can't guarantee the fitness of those two players somebody needs to come in. How Fellaini will perform when he returns is up in the air but we won't make the top four with a midfield comprised of Giggs/ Jones/ Cleverley.

I really hope Fellaini can deliver when he returns, because I don't see a CM coming in until summer. :( I still think he's capable of being good for United, I just don't know if he'll do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ya that is very well said by Moyes. I really want to get behind him but his tactics are very annoying. If he starts getting that right, I might be won over.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Fellaini has been subjected to some very harsh abuse imo. In the games he played he was very poor but it will take him a few games to adjust & get used to the players movement & style of play. He had a wrist injury & then picked up a back injury so he was never fully fit. When he is hes first choice with Carrick ahead of the Cleverley & Fletch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Liking Moyes tone recently....starting to get that confidence in himself, and realisation that he has rebuilding to do, and he needs to start dismantling some of the squad.

I'm sure there was hesitancy there based on the fact the squad are champions, at a canter, last year. But you have to draw the line somewhere, performances and standards have dropped, and considering the manager isn't going anywhere, that means the players are.

Where is Futureguy, I'd like to provide him my mobile phone number and a large wad of phone credit, for him to text me per hour advising "We're not signing Kroos"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Happy enough with the result last night considering our starting team. Shows the shocking state of the squad that Jones and Giggs were our CM. Anyone know when Carrick will be back?

Also nothing to do with Utd but I think we got the quote of the season so far this season from Mick McCarthy last night:

"Some people might be frustrated with that result. Some people can f*ck off!"

If you don't think that going from losing to Sunderland, to comfortably beating Cardiff - a team of a similar standard - is an improvement, then I have to assume you just enjoy the buzz you get from negativity.

I guess we just expect different standards from the reigning league champions.

Some stuff cropping up in Italian papers this morning that Conte has such a hard on for Nani, they are contemplating offering Beradi as an exchange.
    Highly rated youngster in Italy. I havn't seen a part exchange deal in forever

I guess we just expect different standards from the reigning league champions.

After 6 months are you really still expecting the same standards as previous seasons? That's just setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Happy enough with the result last night considering our starting team. Shows the shocking state of the squad that Jones and Giggs were our CM. Anyone know when Carrick will be back?

Also nothing to do with Utd but I think we got the quote of the season so far this season from Mick McCarthy last night:

"Some people might be frustrated with that result. Some people can f*ck off!"

I think Carrick is out for four weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looks like CM is not going to be addressed in this window,just hope Fellaini when he is back he hits the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Maybe grasping here but maybe the signing of Mata will help Fellaini settle a bit better and take the pressure off him a little as the "new signing", if that was weighing on his mind a bit, which I`d guess could be true and explain partially his awful performances so far season.(What we have seen of him, which isnt much to be fair).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Not sure why Young got so much stick in the match day thread. IMO he was the best player on the pitch and he was the one who change the game completely. Played superb cross that led to the first goal (even before that he screened the defender and Evra got the ball) and his second goal was very good. Also he played some very good passes to Evra to set him free in the box.

Not saying 1 game changes everything but he has it in his locker to change the game like against Spurs when they battered us but we won 3-1 I think thanks to Young's brilliance.

well said, even though they've been poor and frustrating at times, it shows what Young and Valencia are up against that when they have good games they still get abuse from many. On the other hand if Mata had "only" put in that cross and scored that cracker there would have been a mass circle jerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Beradi.. no thanks.... but how about Nani + 30m for Vidal....

😃
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Some stuff cropping up in Italian papers this morning that Conte has such a hard on for Nani, they are contemplating offering Beradi as an exchange.
    Highly rated youngster in Italy. I havn't seen a part exchange deal in forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Headshot wrote: »
    Ya that is very well said by Moyes. I really want to get behind him but his tactics are very annoying. If he starts getting that right, I might be won over.

Are the tactics bad because of the poor selections he makes or is that forced on him? I really wanted a team last night of Adnan, Rooney, Robin and Mata but as soon as we scored and took the foot off the pedal it was like 'shows what I know about football' because we were destroyed in the middle even though we had defensive players playing (or at least players with defensive instructions). Imagine the game with my front four and Cleverley or Giggs protecting them?

The more I think of it a pure defensive midfielder is needed for the link up plays the more I really want Martinez. Pure class and a combination with his Spanish teammate is something I would love to see. At this stage I would take anyone though, every poster here knows we are weak in the area and if we know this Moyes does too (he has admitted this on more than one occasion). The team is only 6 points off the CL places despite how bad we have played. It would be madness not addressing it. Unless he trusts Fellaini more than most of us here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I still have a sneaky suspicion we will see another player in. Based on absolutely nothing but hope and conjecture but still!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I still have a sneaky suspicion we will see another player in. Based on absolutely nothing but hope and conjecture but still!

To be fair to Moyes I get the feeling if Utd don't bring more in it won't be for the want of trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

@_OfficialAgent_

#Jesus! World exclusive to follow later today for #MUFC fans. Massive. Need to double check this one. Stay tuned. #EPL #Transfers #Moyes

Taking with a large pinch of salt as it's a twitter account but he has seemed somewhat reliable so far.

If nothing else it gives me something to hope blindly for! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Taking with a large pinch of salt as it's a twitter account but he has seemed pretty reliable so far.

If he was as well connected as he suggests, he would be working for a newspaper. Hope he's right but I won't get excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

@_OfficialAgent_

#Jesus! World exclusive to follow later today for #MUFC fans. Massive. Need to double check this one. Stay tuned. #EPL #Transfers #Moyes

Taking with a large pinch of salt as it's a twitter account but he has seemed pretty reliable so far.

1242.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

RGDATA! wrote: »
    well said, even though they've been poor and frustrating at times, it shows what Young and Valencia are up against that when they have good games they still get abuse from many. On the other hand if Mata had "only" put in that cross and scored that cracker there would have been a mass circle jerk.

Many guys criticise the same fellas all the time regardless because they are not really watching, they look at the scoreline, have a prepared opinion and decide that whoever scored is their new favourite player and that Welbeck, Cleverly and Valencia were sh!t and that Ashley Young gets paid too much.
    I had to watch the game in the pub last night which I hate doing, the amount of clueless 'fans' out there is unreal, half of them don't even watch what is going on in the game they are so busy spouting sh!t to their equally clueless buddy...not unlike match threads...if you're watching the game and watching the detail of what's going on how could you be typing rubbish on the computer to your cyber-buddies?

I looked at one of those match threads one time...fellas post up 'well played'....'nice pass'....what's the point like?

I think both Valencia and Young played well last night... I'm not a fan of Valencia he's far too one footed for a pro footballer for me but he did well last night.

If he was as well connected as he suggests, he would be working for a newspaper. Hope he's right but I won't get excited.

I know. Just letting myself get caught up in the dream of us getting a world class midfielder! I'm sure to be disappointed but damn it's good to dream!

I was just having a think about the few games Fellaini has played for us and it's not all doom and gloom. One thing I like is his ability on the ball. Even when he wasn't playing that well he looked much more comfortable receiving a pass than Cleverly. He then mostly made simple passes as I think he was nervous about messing up. He was also strong and good in the air, again being a little reserved I think due to nerves.

I agree with a previous poster who suggested that Mata's arrival might take some of the pressure off of him and he's loosen up a bit. I think he'll turn into a very good player, especially if his job is to link play from defense to attack and break up the opposition midfield play. I'm looking forward to him coming back from injury and getting an extended run in the team. We all know how he can boss a game, he just needs to start doing it for us.

Was reading an article on him yesterday, for the life of me cant find it now ( was boringly link hoping), seemingly has a good track record and actually sells some juice to journos.

Not sure, again that article in itself could be bollox, so hard to nail down anyone reliable around transfer deadlines. A friend of mine did work experience with a paper in the UK and has been pretty open about the football correspondants blindly making up junk, or putting 1+1 together and getting 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Taking with a large pinch of salt as it's a twitter account but he has seemed somewhat reliable so far.

Makes the day interesting anyway, even if nothing comes of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was reading an article on him yesterday, for the life of me cant find it now ( was boringly link hoping), seemingly has a good track record and actually sells some juice to journos.

Not sure, again that article in itself could be bollox, so hard to nail down anyone reliable around transfer deadlines. A friend of mine did work experience with a paper in the UK and has been pretty open about the football correspondants blindly making up junk, or putting 1+1 together and getting 3.

If he has news he'd reveal it now and not tease it. Wouldn't he want to be the first to break the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Only got to watch the first half last night, but there were some encouraging signs from the team. Mata played well and made some lovely passes. Young had a good game and having RVP back was great. Valencia was in the box more last night than I can ever remember. I think Moyes really did warn the players that some are playing for their futures.

The main downside I thought was the midfield. Giggs was alright to be fair but Jones just doesn't fit there. I think he will be a class CB for us but he just doesn't fit into midfield. A midfielder before Friday and we'll be well stocked until summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Moyes - "Don't think because I have won tonight I'm smiling and happy. With the vision I have got for the club we have got a long way to go"
    That's a Manchester United manager if I have ever seen one - as others have said Mata joining seems to have brought the spark of life back into him .... just one more quality signing this window would do us the world of good.

If he has news he'd reveal it now and not tease it. Wouldn't he want to be the first to break the news?

I feel the same. Unless he is genuine and wants to double check a source.

But he's also suggesting that Mata got the number 8 shirt because Ronaldo will be back in the summer. He loses some credibility for that!

I reckon Vidal or Fernando will sign by Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I reckon Vidal or Fernando will sign by Friday.

Vidal stated a few days ago he was staying in turin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

If we don't sign a CM this window then we're not making 4th. Not. a. chance.

Think you're forgetting that we were without Fellani / Carrick.

With both of them fit and sitting in midfielder protecting a top 4 of Adnan / Rooney / Mata / RVP i think we would easily get top 4, however when are they back and likely to play is the bigger question ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I think if both were fit we'd be seeing Fellaini and Carrick in center mid most weeks, with Fletcher coming in for one of them on occasion. I doubt Giggs or Jones would be getting too many runs out then. I do agree that I'd like to see Jones play in center defense more often, however Smalling and Evans are a decent partnership at the moment, would like to give them some games together.

Would rather have Jones and Evans united always seemed to have that partnership of one player who would go and attack and annihilate the opposition and that one player who could read the game, was calm and could pass the ball when needed.

I just feel while an excellent defender smalling is he does get too Laxy-Daisey at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

What happened with Michael Owen's claim we were gonna sign another player soon? Rio or one of the lads must have been taking the p!ss or something to see what he's do!

Vidal stated a few days ago he was staying in turin

I wonder if he would change his mind if Juve accepted an offer.

As I have always said, I don't care what a player says, when an offer isn't officially on the table.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement