Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Inter are after Nani
    http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/inter-pursuing-nani-contacts-with-manchester-united/

that guy is very reliable broke alot of transfers in the last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

What is happening to Moyes.....hes actually becoming a Man Utd manager!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Tancredi Palmeri‏@tancredipalmeri
    Wow! Manchester United currently in talks with Inter to loan Nani, according to Sky Italy! And player has already given the green light!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

beno619 wrote: »
    Ahh didn't get to watch the Sunderland game, he didn't feature against Chelsea though.

The guy is not long back from a life altering illness, playing 120 minutes of high intensity high pressure matches takes it's toll on most people, never mind one who could have potentially been forced to retire, I'm sure Moyes looked at the opposition tonight and thought we had enough about us to win without risking him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

What happened with Michael Owen's claim we were gonna sign another player soon?

Presumably you are referring to this tweet:

"A little dickie bird tells me there is more good news for United fans coming soon!"

Is this a claim we were going to sign a player? A good example of 2+2 = 22. I assume he was referring to Rooney's contract talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Wow! Manchester United currently in talks with Inter to loan Nani, according to Sky Italy! And player has already given the green light!

shakes head in disbelief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Moyes has now shown the squad that he can draw top class players to replace them with. That gives him the foundation to make these sorts of comments and put a fire under them. Saying that before the Mata transfer might have had undesirable effects if the players felt that they were the ones in control, or that Moyes would have to make do anyway and had no options. That's my take on the sudden change of attitude anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

What would the point of a loan move be? If there is an option to buy, and he returns to form, we've lost a useful match winning player. If there is an option to buy, and he plays rubbish, it's been a pointless exercise and he'll be shipped back to us.

I would still have Nani ahead of Valencia, Young, or any other wide option as first back up to come in if Mata, Januzaj, Rooney or RVP aren't all fit and available.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was impressed with Moyes last night, his interview was one of a person in control, a man who knew better things lie ahead.
    The centre midfield was so bad last night it was like 'hey Toni Kroos, Paul Pogba, Fernando etc...look at this midfield...

It was like the worst midfield ever for ManU.

Moyes will be working on bringing in someone before the transfer deadline, but as we have all being saying, whether it can happen is another story.
    I will say 'yeah', he looked like a man confident of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I really dont see any rational for letting Nani go.

Wont be pleased if it happens.

• Advertisement

ESPN

To me, this kind of stinks of both camps playing hardball and really neither wanting a move, Kroos trying to booster his Salary and Bayern showing that they won't be bullied and calling his bluff, I have no doubt he will stay and eventually a compromise will be reached on his contract.

On a side note, does signing Mata signal the end of Nani, surely one of Nani / Valencia and Young will be shipped out in the summer and with the injuries he's had he seems the logical option, if you think about it we had Mata / Nani / Adnan / Valencia / Young and Zaha / (Kagawa) as wingers, 2 of them could go IMO. I hope it would be Young and Valencia with the money invested into midfielder along with retiring Giggs and his Wages, you can always get Wellbeck to fill in on the left and shift one of Mata / Adnan / Nani to the right if there are injuries. We just seem so overloaded in certain positions and so light in others.

To me, this kind of stinks of both camps playing hardball and really neither wanting a move, Kroos trying to booster his Salary and Bayern showing that they won't be bullied and calling his bluff, I have no doubt he will stay and eventually a compromise will be reached on his contract.

On a side note, does signing Mata signal the end of Nani, surely one of Nani / Valencia and Young will be shipped out in the summer and with the injuries he's had he seems the logical option, if you think about it we had Mata / Nani / Adnan / Valencia / Young and Zaha / (Kagawa) as wingers, 2 of them could go IMO. I hope it would be Young and Valencia with the money invested into midfielder along with retiring Giggs and his Wages, you can always get Wellbeck to fill in on the left and shift one of Mata / Adnan / Nani to the right if there are injuries. We just seem so overloaded in certain positions and so light in others.

It's weird how, despite his glaring weaknesses, both SAF and Moyes have a chubby for Valencia. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Young, despite his horrid form for a while there has put in a couple of good performances recently. If one of the two had to go, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd prefer it to be Valencia.

Sadly, based on the fact that both Young and Valencia have been getting games and we've barely seen Nani for 18 months, I think he must be on his way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

adox wrote: »
    I really dont see any rational for letting Nani go.

Wont be pleased if it happens.

Only can see it if it involves some way of getting Kovacic either now or in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

v3ttel wrote: »
    Presumably you are referring to this tweet:

"A little dickie bird tells me there is more good news for United fans coming soon!"

Is this a claim we were going to sign a player? A good example of 2+2 = 22. I assume he was referring to Rooney's contract talks.

Michael Owen on BT Sport: "From what I've heard Mata isn't the only player joining Manchester United. Exciting times for the fans"

Same day as the Tweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I wouldn't be too sad to see Nani go. I don't think he's ever really going to be consistent for us. With that being said I'd rather it be a permanent move and that we'd sign someone to replace him in the squad. Loaning him and getting nobody in return does nothing but leave the squad depleted of wingers and potentially save a bit on the wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

It's weird how, despite his glaring weaknesses, both SAF and Moyes have a chubby for Valencia. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Young, despite his horrid form for a while there has put in a couple of good performances recently. If one of the two had to go, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd prefer it to be Valencia.

Sadly, based on the fact that both Young and Valencia have been getting games and we've barely seen Nani for 18 months, I think he must be on his way out.

It's hardly surprising really when nani has been consistently ****e the last few seasons, Valencia had a good game last night and looks like he's returning to form, nani on the other hand constantly loses the ball and looks like he can't be bothered, what a waste of talent, the sooner nani is shipped out and a decent winger is signed the better

I guess we just expect different standards from the reigning league champions.

Yes, we all do, but realistically you base expectations on what you've seen before, so......We've seen a united side struggle all season, why do you think that this would change in the course of a week? Did you think that one player being signed, with 4/5 first team players currently out of the 1st 11 would destroy Cardiff at home with a new player adjusting to his team mates and a 40 year old and a centre half in midfield.

Some people have expectations, but some people have realistic expectations.

Taking with a large pinch of salt as it's a twitter account but he has seemed somewhat reliable so far.

If nothing else it gives me something to hope blindly for! :D

The chaps had a "world exclusive" for United every day for the last 2 weeks.

He's full of it like the IndyKaila muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wouldn't mind seeing Nani go, he can be great or the opposite, seems to be injured a lot.

At this moment in time both Young and Valencia are ahead of him. There are some really positive signs from how Young is playing, an assist and a goal last night, giving him the assist as it was a great cross in that created the goal.
    Valencia is more of a goal threat than he has been, just needs to make better use of the chances.

• Advertisement

It's hardly surprising really when nani has been consistently ****e the last few seasons, Valencia had a good game last night and looks like he's returning to form, nani on the other hand constantly loses the ball and looks like he can't be bothered, what a waste of talent, the sooner nani is shipped out and a decent winger is signed the better

I think that's a very unfair criticism of Nani. It's hard to be consistently anything when you're not playing. And by 'the last few seasons' I have to assume you're talking about this season and last season, because he was very good in 10/11 and 11/12.

Valencia has had consistent game time whilst actually being consistently shite. If Nani had gotten those games instead, I have no doubt he would have been an improvement. With the notable exception being games where Valencia played RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Could it be even possible to complete a 30m+ deal for Vidal/Kroos in the time available? Between negotiating a price, medicals, personal terms and the fine details in the contracts it surely takes more than 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Could it be even possible to complete a 30m+ deal for Vidal/Kroos in the time available? Between negotiating a price, medicals, personal terms and the fine details in the contracts it surely takes more than 2 days.

The torres deal came out of the air completely 3 years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

At this stage i wouldnt think its possible for a big money deal.....

As I said before, I don't think anything else will happen this window. But things have a mysterious way of moving much more quickly than usual on deadline day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If we are to sign anyone in the remaining time I think we can take it for granted that alot of the donkey work would have already be done at this stage - only real stumbling block would be price with other club.

• Advertisement

I think that's a very unfair criticism of Nani. It's hard to be consistently anything when you're not playing. And by 'the last few seasons' I have to assume you're talking about this season and last season, because he was very good in 10/11 and 11/12.

Valencia has had consistent game time whilst actually being consistently shite. If Nani had gotten those games instead, I have no doubt he would have been an improvement. With the notable exception being games where Valencia played LB.

2 good seasons in 7 years is not good enough, I personally can't wait to see the back of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

bullvine wrote: »
    The torres deal came out of the air completely 3 years ago..

I'm sure there was plenty of groundwork done by Chelsea before news of it broke in the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Both would cost far more than 30m though, you're talking at least 45m if Bayern/Juve have any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

ari-gold-gtfo-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dont rate Nani that highly but I rather Nani than Valencia any way of the week

• Advertisement

2 good seasons in 7 years is not good enough, I personally can't wait to see the back of him

He had fairly good seasons in 08/09 and 09/10 too. Basically any season where he has made 40+ appearances.

How can you say that and then jump to the defense of Valencia who has arguably only had one good season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Did anyone see The Footballers Football Show on Sky Sports last night? They had Niall Quinn, John Carew and an agent (John Mac) giving their version of events on how transfers happen.

I thought it was a great insight into how messed up the process can be, particularly with snakey agents. I attributed a lot of the incidents to lesser players at struggling clubs, but it lead me to believe there may be truth behind some of the random rumors we hear until an agent comes in and scuppers the whole thing before it gets any legs.

Hopefully all above the level of Manchester United and quality/integrity of the players we'd be looking to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yes, we all do, but realistically you base expectations on what you've seen before, so......We've seen a united side struggle all season, why do you think that this would change in the course of a week? Did you think that one player being signed, with 4/5 first team players currently out of the 1st 11 would destroy Cardiff at home with a new player adjusting to his team mates and a 40 year old and a centre half in midfield.

Yet again you are responding to what you think was said rather than what was actually said. Perhaps read the posts before forming your opinions.

I never said I expected anybody to destroy Cardiff, in fact if I had been asked that question last night I would have expected just the opposite. I never said I expected anything to change within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

He had fairly good seasons in 08/09 and 09/10 too. Basically any season where he has made 40+ appearances.

How can you say that and then jump to the defense of Valencia who has arguably only had one good season?

Nani was poor on 08/09, latter half of 09/10 was good and was really good in 10/11, unlucky not to win PFA award

Valencia was very good in his first season, missed half of his second season, came back and was superb and in his third season he was absolutely sensational as a winger..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I honestly don't see how anyone can back Nani to stay and call for Valencia to go. Both are the same in my eyes; both had good seasons but that was many moons ago, and neither have looked like being top, top level talents for us in too long. Think at this stage, if proper replacements are brought in, and with Mata and Januzaj as my first choices to play out wide now, I'd happily see both Nani and Valencia head off. Young too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its not so surprising really. Neither of the two are good enough for the first team, but if you had to have one to come of the bench to change a game then it has to be Young every time. He is the more dynamic of the two, and importantly is also the more versatile of the two, he can play on both sides or even through the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I like Nani and think he could be an excellent player for us with a run of games and avoiding fitness. Having penned a new deal surely he has to be featured in the squads plans, or there has been a massive realisation by Moyes hes not up to scratch.

Nani's main problem has always being consistency, and while I appreciate and love his match winning moments and great performances, they don't come regularly enough. There is no excuse now, Ronaldo is long gone, there is no shadow looming over him. Fresh start, and should be reaching the heights of not so long ago where he was easily one of the best in Europe.

Happy to give him time when he comes back from injury, but needs to make meaningful impacts. Like if you offered me Reus or Nani, it would be Reus all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Delboy5 wrote: »

Palmeri‏ posts loads of nonsense because he picks everything up from Sky Italia which links every player with every club on the planet.

Nani deal doesn't even make sense as Mazzarri is hell bent on 3 CBs and 2 WBs no wingers tactics he wouldn't change that at all. Valencia makes lot of sense for them.

bullvine wrote: »
    Nani was poor on 08/09, latter half of 09/10 was good and was really good in 10/11, unlucky not to win PFA award

Valencia was very good in his first season, missed half of his second season, came back and was superb and in his third season he was absolutely sensational as a winger..

Fair enough, I may be misremembering 08/09. The points stands though that it's been a long time since Valencia did anything worth talking about, and Nani has been better more recently. It's quite bizarre to me that Valencia would be favoured out of the two, unless there's something going on behind the scenes.

I'd just love to see Valencia dropped and Nani played instead for the rest of the season. Can't be any worse and would settle this debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

God lads is it slag off Nani time again:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think unfortunately for him his time is done at United. They secured him to a new contract earlier in the season to ensure they got a good fee on a future transfer.

Given what and whom Moyes has been scouting i think if wingers are going we're looking at Valencia and/or Nani. Young is English and we have to have a certain number in the squad. If Moyes wants to bring in a Kroos/Vidal/Pogba he has to get rid of one of the oversea's players.

I can't see us signing any more players before the end of the window now either. Maybe a few players going out but they'd be fringe players. But would i be surprised if we did sign someone else..

Not at all, sure Moyes said he heard Mata was available 2 months ago and he'd said earlier in the window we'd get nothing done...

Lesson to us all..managers lie to us and tells us what they wants us to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

brinty wrote: »

Lesson to us all..managers lie to us and tells us what they wants us to know

Tricksy hobbitsesss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

From the performance last night, and looking at the next few fixtures, I expect United to be within a few points off 4th by the time we travel to Arsenal, maybe in 5th but more than likely 6th.

The Arsenal game is massive, a draw would be a good result against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

brinty wrote: »
    Given what and whom Moyes has been scouting i think if wingers are going we're looking at Valencia and/or Nani. Young is English and we have to have a certain number in the squad. If Moyes wants to bring in a Kroos/Vidal/Pogba he has to get rid of one of the oversea's players.

Following player could all be a part of the squad next season - with a requirement for 8 homegrown (4 from United). The ones in bold would count as United home grown I think.

Amos, Rafael, Evans, Smalling, Jones, Cleverley,Carrick, Januzaj, Young, Welbeck, Rooney`.

Zaha, Powell etc too.

That is assuming Rio and Giggs aren't part of next years squad.

We can afford to drop some homegrown players, if we want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Kroos only has a year left on his contract in the summer, surely a big bid now will tempt Bayern. They won't give him first team wages and we definitely will along with him automatically being first name on the team sheet when fit.

He really is a dream signing

I think Valencia's being playing well lately but still doesn't means he's good enough, I'd love to see all wingers shipped out and replaced but that's not gonna happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I dreamt last night that we signed Coleman for 14m. When I woke up I was actually convinced we did until Sky Sports broke my heart :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Palmeri‏ posts loads of nonsense because he picks everything up from Sky Italia which links every player with every club on the planet.

Nani deal doesn't even make sense as Mazzarri is hell bent on 3 CBs and 2 WBs no wingers tactics he wouldn't change that at all. Valencia makes lot of sense for them.

The Nani stuff is coming from Gianluca DiMarzio who is very, very reliable so you can bet your life there's something to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

<checks thread - spots Nani argument - smashes head off desk>

Please god not this again! :mad:

Anyway, Young had a very good game last night. I would be quick to criticise him when he plays badly but credit where credit is due.

I still think there is a signing left in us - just don't think it will be of the caliber of Mata etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I dreamt last night that we signed Coleman for 14m. When I woke up I was actually convinced we did until Sky Sports broke my heart :(

Amazing how people have such short memories. Rafael has been fantastic for the past two seasons and is only going to get better. He has a stop start season with injuries and people looking to waste money on somebody who is at best on par with him. Coleman would cost more than 14m and it would be wasted money that would be better spent elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

With all the names being bandied about - Kroos, Fernando, Vidal, Matudi, Luis Felipe, Mangala, Reus etc.... would anyone else have an issue with United becoming a foreign 11 (or close to it).

Have to say I would feel United had lost part of its footballing identity if we lost a core group of English (or trained in UK/Ireland) players - would be ever more annoyed if we didn't have youth products (Uk or foreign) in the side.

I know there is the argument of simply wanting the best players you can get, and if they aren't english then tough - but I always think a club side should have a core group of players from their country.

I know I have banged on about signing players like Vidal etc, so there is hypocrisy evident - but I'd mourn the loss of identity if United lined up like:

De Gea
    Raf-Mangala-Vidic--Evra
    Vidal-Gundogan
    Reus---Kagawa---Mata
    RVP.

I'm not saying the above team is likely (or being aimed at), just an example of the current United side with some top foreign signings - players who could have us competing for the CL. Maybe if it came to pass I would show further hypcrisy and actually be fine with it - but even when playing football manager I hate not having a UK/Irish core to my UK/Irish sides, or German core in a German side, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement