Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The Nani stuff is coming from Gianluca DiMarzio who is very, very reliable so you can bet your life there's something to it.

Nani is only going if we are going to sign a cm this window and move away from playing with wingers. A new midfielder who can create from deep and our forward three behind RVP dragging defenders inside allowing the full backs to offer our width.

DDG

Rafael Evans Vidic Evra

Fellaini ______

Mata Rooney Janjuaz

RVP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

TheDoc wrote: »
    Nani's main problem has always being consistency, and while I appreciate and love his match winning moments and great performances, they don't come regularly enough. There is no excuse now, Ronaldo is long gone, there is no shadow looming over him. Fresh start, and should be reaching the heights of not so long ago where he was easily one of the best in Europe.

Consistency has never been an issue with Nani. Any time he has been given regular games he has produced on a consistent basis.
    I honestly don't see how anyone can back Nani to stay and call for Valencia to go. Both are the same in my eyes; both had good seasons but that was many moons ago, and neither have looked like being top, top level talents for us in too long.

Valencia has been given regular starts for the last two seasons, Nani has not. The two aren't the same at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I would feel United had lost part of its footballing identity...

MYS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If we are discussing a Nani loan with Inter (only going on what is posted here) - I wonder could we be taking Guarin on loan in return. Wouldn't be a fan of the move, either Nani leaving or Guarin coming in, but could be a possibility. If it was a loan for Guarin it could be a good short term move, allowing us to move freely for a new CM (or two) in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Nani is only going if we are going to sign a cm this window and move away from playing with wingers.

Yeah I'd agree. DiMarzio is saying that while Nani is open to the move, Utd haven't made up their mind yet. Probably waiting to see if there's any movement on the cm front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Almost too perfect for our midfield..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Have to say I would feel United had lost part of its footballing identity if we lost a core group of English (or trained in UK/Ireland) players - would be ever more annoyed if we didn't have youth products (Uk or foreign) in the side.

I'd agree with this, and I think it's why we'll see players like Danny Welbeck and Phil Jones continue to wear red for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ThirdMan wrote: »
    MYS.jpg

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He gets criticism because whatever you want to call the formation it simply isn't working!

Call it 4411 or 4231 or 442 or whatever, it hasn't worked all season and yet Moyes has continued to play the same way.

I give him plenty of criticism for getting the team playing so sh!te. That's what I think is fair criticism of him.

I think the people fixating on the formation and the people saying that 4231 is inherently narrow or attacking are wrong. It's also wrong to talk about playing with wingers as being unsophisticated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Heres one thing that frustrates me.

Valencia and Cleverley have been torrid all season, yet each has been given as many games as they possibly could need in their favoured position to find form.

How I would love to see Nani be given 20 games in a row on the right wing. I firmly believe that if he was we wouldn't be talking about a right winger with what, one goal and one assist all season?

Valencia gets 20 games, if only Kagawa could get 20 games in the middle, or Zaha 20 games to show what he can do. The likes of Nani, Kagawa, Hernandez are all in and out of the side, dropped one week, 20 minutes the next, is it any surprise that they don't perform? Seems to be different standards for different players and its a load of balls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

With all the names being bandied about - Kroos, Fernando, Vidal, Matudi, Luis Felipe, Mangala, Reus etc.... would anyone else have an issue with United becoming a foreign 11 (or close to it). [\QUOTE]

absolutely not!! beats a team of cleverlys and welbecks. Can always have them as back up but no where near the starting 11.

anyway we are irish...there all foreign to us either way :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Amazing how people have such short memories. Rafael has been fantastic for the past two seasons and is only going to get better. He has a stop start season with injuries and people looking to waste money on somebody who is at best on par with him. Coleman would cost more than 14m and it would be wasted money that would be better spent elsewhere.

I think you're the only person I ever see describing Rafael as "fantastic". He ranged between decent and very good over the last couple of years, with I would say a bit more veering towards decent than to very good. He was also defensively suspect a lot in those seasons.

He's been very poor this year, don't think he's ever been "fantastic".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Heres one thing that frustrates me.

Valencia and Cleverley have been torrid all season, yet each has been given as many games as they possibly could need in their favoured position to find form.

How I would love to see Nani be given 20 games in a row on the right wing. I firmly believe that if he was we wouldn't be talking about a right winger with what, one goal and one assist all season?

Valencia gets 20 games, if only Kagawa could get 20 games in the middle, or Zaha 20 games to show what he can do. The likes of Nani, Kagawa, Hernandez are all in and out of the side, dropped one week, 20 minutes the next, is it any surprise that they don't perform? Seems to be different standards for different players and its a load of balls.

I will defer judgement on Zaha because of the people on here saying he has done very little in the reserves but I agree 100% on Nani, Kagawa and Chich.

keano2012 wrote: »
    With all the names being bandied about - Kroos, Fernando, Vidal, Matudi, Luis Felipe, Mangala, Reus etc.... would anyone else have an issue with United becoming a foreign 11 (or close to it). [\QUOTE]

absolutely not!! beats a team of cleverlys and welbecks. Can always have them as back up but no where near the starting 11.

anyway we are irish...there all foreign to us either way :P

You're breaking my chops with that username. I keep thinking I posted stuff I didn't post :mad:

keane2097 wrote: »

You're breaking my chops with that username. I keep thinking I posted stuff I didn't post :mad:

we all know i'm the real boi...so back away slowly.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think you're the only person I ever see describing Rafael as "fantastic". He ranged between decent and very good over the last couple of years, with I would say a bit more veering towards decent than to very good. He was also defensively suspect a lot in those seasons.

He's been very poor this year, don't think he's ever been "fantastic".

Seems to be that the odd exciting forward dash is all it takes for people to fall in love with a fullback. I like Rafael, but I agree 'fantastic' wouldn't be my word for him. He can be a bit too hot-headed and his concentration can be suspect.

Still, hard to believe he's only 23, he should continue to improve. It's possible he could become fantastic in 2 or 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Seems to be that the odd exciting forward dash is all it takes for people to fall in love with a fullback. I like Rafael, but I agree 'fantastic' wouldn't be my word for him. He can be a bit too hot-headed and his concentration can be suspect.

Still, hard to believe he's only 23, he should continue to improve. It's possible he could become fantastic in 2 or 3 years.

The way forwards and wingers can get behind him in recent times is unforgivable, despite previous form.

I agree, he's in danger of giving you a good reputation. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We are not signing Toni Kroos.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We are not signing Toni Kroos.

Said it before, but he's German. United don't sign Germans. Case closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kroos only has a year left on his contract in the summer, surely a big bid now will tempt Bayern. They won't give him first team wages and we definitely will along with him automatically being first name on the team sheet when fit.

He really is a dream signing

I don't think it will happen. Bayern are NOTORIOUSLY tight with their money in terms of wages and raises, to ensure they don't get taken for a spin. To be honest they might not be too happy with the antics from Kroos, and an example made of him.

Bayern are an outrageously wealthy club, but they don't like to be taken for mugs. While they will splash the cash easily on a big transfer, they tend to be more cautious and meticulous in dealing with wages.

I think they will buckle to Kroos. He's simply too good to let go, a lot of people, myself included, feel his is in a way re-defining what a CM does, in a way some players down the years have shifted and changed what the role was, and then expected as the standard. (See Makalelle for recent example).

I've no doubt that within three years Kroos will be one of if not THE best CM in the world, and to be fair while he had a injury sticken end of season, there is a good argument that says he's already the best CM in Europe, bar none.

the talk of 25million is in relation to his contract winding down. I'd prefer if we offered €40m and simply left no option for Bayern but to sell, then give Kroos his reported €150k a week.

25m for him is beyond stupid, beyond a bargain. That's like paying 30million for Ronaldo.

The singing of Mata hopefully has given Woodward and Moyes confidence, and I hope they REALLY test Bayerns metal.

€30-35m starting bid to get to the point of talking with Kroos.
    Then just straight out offer him €160k a week

Get it done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Amazing how people have such short memories. Rafael has been fantastic for the past two seasons and is only going to get better. He has a stop start season with injuries and people looking to waste money on somebody who is at best on par with him. Coleman would cost more than 14m and it would be wasted money that would be better spent elsewhere.
    I dreamt that you won the lotto last week too. Wanna get your knickers in a twist about that one too? (Unless you actually did in which case can I borrow a few 100k?)

I have my reasons as to why I would love to see Coleman sign. Some are football reasons but they're not my main ones. I'd absolutely hate to see Rafael go but at the same time I'd prefer to see Seamie there.

Yeah couldn't disagree with any of this really. He's grand, can be great going forward at times, although his delivery isn't exactly amazing either.

Coleman who he seems to get favourably compared to (on this thread and pretty much nowhere else) this season has been on a different level to anything Rafael has ever done IMO, better both attacking and defending by a mile.
    I agree, he's in danger of giving you a good reputation. :pac:

I don't think he quite has that sort of power :o

Said it before, but he's German. United don't sign Germans. Case closed.

moyes and woodward negotiating with ze germans- we dont stand a chance! we will prob end getting shaquiri and giving them RVP + 25million.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

moyes and woodward negotiating with ze germans- we dont stand a chance! we will prob end getting shaquiri and giving them RVP + 25million.
    ... They did just bring Mata - yes Juan Mata to United - they can't be that bad.

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 3m
    #mufc goalkeeper Sam Johnstone has signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract with the club until June 2017.

BfJydkFCMAAqAfA.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

2 Germans have played for United in recent times, though neither played for nor made the bench for the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

With all the names being bandied about - Kroos, Fernando, Vidal, Matudi, Luis Felipe, Mangala, Reus etc.... would anyone else have an issue with United becoming a foreign 11 (or close to it).

Have to say I would feel United had lost part of its footballing identity if we lost a core group of English (or trained in UK/Ireland) players - would be ever more annoyed if we didn't have youth products (Uk or foreign) in the side.

I know there is the argument of simply wanting the best players you can get, and if they aren't english then tough - but I always think a club side should have a core group of players from their country.

I know I have banged on about signing players like Vidal etc, so there is hypocrisy evident - but I'd mourn the loss of identity if United lined up like:

De Gea
    Raf-Mangala-Vidic--Evra
    Vidal-Gundogan
    Reus---Kagawa---Mata
    RVP.

I'm not saying the above team is likely (or being aimed at), just an example of the current United side with some top foreign signings - players who could have us competing for the CL. Maybe if it came to pass I would show further hypcrisy and actually be fine with it - but even when playing football manager I hate not having a UK/Irish core to my UK/Irish sides, or German core in a German side, etc.

Why would an Irish person give a damn about whether or not Manchester United has an XI of foreigners or not?

In the context of Manchester United, we're foreigners. There is a lot of poor, overpriced English talent out there and I certainly couldn't give a hoot if an English man never played for Manchester United again. Right now Spain and Germany are probably developing the best quality players at the minute. We should be looking to exploit the talents overseas as it's more cost effective to do so and the players themselves tend to be of a higher quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Looks like rumors are picking up. Nani and Guarin moving on loans to Inter and ManUtd. ****, we should just give them Nani and ask for Kovacic.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    ... They did just bring Mata - yes Juan Mata to United - they can't be that bad.

germans are a different kettle of fish. Must be a reason why we have never signed a german player from a german club?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't think it will happen. Bayern are NOTORIOUSLY tight with their money in terms of wages and raises, to ensure they don't get taken for a spin. To be honest they might not be too happy with the antics from Kroos, and an example made of him.

Bayern are an outrageously wealthy club, but they don't like to be taken for mugs. While they will splash the cash easily on a big transfer, they tend to be more cautious and meticulous in dealing with wages.

I think they will buckle to Kroos. He's simply too good to let go, a lot of people, myself included, feel his is in a way re-defining what a CM does, in a way some players down the years have shifted and changed what the role was, and then expected as the standard. (See Makalelle for recent example).

I've no doubt that within three years Kroos will be one of if not THE best CM in the world, and to be fair while he had a injury sticken end of season, there is a good argument that says he's already the best CM in Europe, bar none.

the talk of 25million is in relation to his contract winding down. I'd prefer if we offered €40m and simply left no option for Bayern but to sell, then give Kroos his reported €150k a week.

25m for him is beyond stupid, beyond a bargain. That's like paying 30million for Ronaldo.

The singing of Mata hopefully has given Woodward and Moyes confidence, and I hope they REALLY test Bayerns metal.

€30-35m starting bid to get to the point of talking with Kroos.
    Then just straight out offer him €160k a week

Get it done...
    kstand wrote: »
    2 Germans have played for United in recent times, though neither played for nor made the bench for the first team.

kroos_zps733d1fb3.png

h5DE655C9_zps249e0f23.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

FutureGuy wrote: »
    kroos_zps733d1fb3.png[/URL]

It's uncanny!

germans are a different kettle of fish. Must be a reason why we have never signed a german player from a german club?
    I bet before the start of next season we will have at least 1 German player in United's first team.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I bet before the start of next season we will have at least 1 German player in United's first team.

that we signed from a german club?

you are wrong because we are not signing Kroos!

that we signed from a german club?

you are wrong because we are not signing Kroos!
    I know we're not signing Kroos but I bet there will be a German first team player by start of next season in some shape or form.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Taking with a large pinch of salt as it's a twitter account but he has seemed somewhat reliable so far.

If nothing else it gives me something to hope blindly for! :D
    The chaps had a "world exclusive" for United every day for the last 2 weeks.

He's full of it like the IndyKaila muppet.

Don't believe a word he says, before the match yesterday he goes ' Jan and Rooney both in the starting line up, Mata and RVP on the bench'

He has zero contacts and anything he gets right is a guess. Not worth following at all. It's accounts like that, which give twitter a bad name.
    Following player could all be a part of the squad next season - with a requirement for 8 homegrown (4 from United). The ones in bold would count as United home grown I think.

Amos, Rafael, Evans, Smalling, Jones, Cleverley,Carrick, Januzaj, Young, Welbeck, Rooney`.

Zaha, Powell etc too.

That is assuming Rio and Giggs aren't part of next years squad.

We can afford to drop some homegrown players, if we want to.

I think Amos could be sold with Sam Johnston getting a new deal. M Keane may also be brought back. Jesse might make the step up. Maybe Wilson for C1 cup games?

kstand wrote: »

Youth products though? Not bought. Also it's not just united. German players like playing in Germany for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Lots of Germans have played for English clubs over the years - it wont be anything huge in that regard if one does sign for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lordgoat wrote: »
    I think Amos could be sold with Sam Johnston getting a new deal. M Keane may also be brought back. Jesse might make the step up. Maybe Wilson for C1 cup games?

There was such high hopes for him 4 years ago. My nephew and niece spoke to Steele before the City 4-3 game about im. He's very nice man spent a good two mins with them and signed an autograph (they were only young but mad Utd fans). Ranted and raved about Amos to kids and parents, saying he'll be the no.1 in 3 or 4 years.

Pity, but I love De Gea so I'm not too bothered.

More raging Fabio didnt get a better run at it at OT :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trilla wrote: »
    There was such high hopes for him 4 years ago. My nephew and niece spoke to Steele before the City 4-3 game about im. He's very nice man spent a good two mins with them and signed an autograph (they were only young but mad Utd fans). Ranted and raved about Amos to kids and parents, saying he'll be the no.1 in 3 or 4 years.

Pity, but I love De Gea so I'm not too bothered.

More raging Fabio didnt get a better run at it at OT :-/

Annoyed with the Fabio situation/sale.

There are very likely reasons from the training ground, but from the outside I just can't see how he is not a significantly better backup at both full back positions than the backups we have at the club.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Annoyed with the Fabio situation/sale.

There are very likely reasons from the training ground, but from the outside I just can't see how he is not a significantly better backup at both full back positions than the backups we have at the club.

Maybe he doesn't want to be back up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I don't care if the lad new signing is from San Marino once we can get a decent CM.

By all accounts Moyes is trying hard. But it ain't Kroos for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I don't care if the lad new signing is from San Marino once we can get a decent CM.

Said so matter of factly.. Dya know something that we dont? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

astradave wrote: »
    Said so matter of factly.. Dya know something that we dont? :D

No but United ain't getting Kroos this window.

Forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It'll be Marchisio in the Summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

What's your point?

monkeys-laughing75pc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Yeah I'd agree. DiMarzio is saying that while Nani is open to the move, Utd haven't made up their mind yet. Probably waiting to see if there's any movement on the cm front.

Why would the arrival of a CM have any sort of influence over the possible departure of a winger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Also, on the whole Nani situation. Wasn't it widely reported (and therefore, most likely had some element of truth) that we delayed a decision on loaning Zaha, because we were accessing when Nani would be fit and available again?

It would make no sense to end up loaning both of them out, if we'd decided that Zaha only leaves if Nani is soon ready to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

v3ttel wrote: »
    Why would the arrival of a CM have any sort of influence over the possible departure of a winger?

The answer is in the post I was replying to.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88723514&postcount=8552

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ThirdMan wrote: »
    monkeys-laughing75pc.jpg

Come on, debate the point or ditch the pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Nani has played 10 games for the club since signing a 5 year deal, mainly because of injury.

Moyes should give him a chance in the same way he has done with the likes of Valencia and Young this season before flogging him off to Inter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement