Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We've Arsenal, City and Liverpool in our next 7

The Liverpool game is going to be massive before our last 7 games, we should be winning a lot of those last 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

We've Arsenal, City and Liverpool in our next 7

The Liverpool game is going to be massive before our last 7 games, we should be winning a lot of those last 7

We should be winning those last 7, but we should have won a lot of our games this season.

The last game of the season is a massive game, away to Southampton, when the other teams aiming for 4th have much easier opposition, bar Liverpool who are at home to Newcastle.

But the Liverpool game will probably be the decider for 4th spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

And it could easily be the middle of April before we break into the top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Come on, debate the point or ditch the pictures.

There's no debate. How could I possibly argue that Manchester United has lost some of its identity?

Anyway, what team has Rooney picked for Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

ThirdMan wrote: »
    There's no debate. How could I possibly argue that Manchester United has lost some of its identity?

Yay, a perfectly legitimate opportunity to use everyone's least favourite emoticon.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

By explaining how? Mars Bar has a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Macca07 wrote: »
    We should be winning those last 7, but we should have won a lot of our games this season.

The last game of the season is a massive game, away to Southampton, when the other teams aiming for 4th have much easier opposition, bar Liverpool who are at home to Newcastle.

But the Liverpool game will probably be the decider for 4th spot.
    75,000 sellout Old Trafford with RVP, Rooney, Mata in form ... I think we would have a great chance to overturn Liverpool - Suarez or no Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Who posts a .jpg instead of a reaction gif anyway, what is this 2003?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

I think United will be in the top 4 by mid March..Everton will fall away over the next few weeks, Spurs will be up there but will drop points and Liverpool are the biggest threat but i can see them slipping up too

The team i can see really falling away is Arsenal.. I believe they will be fighting for 4th come May unless they bring in a top striker before the window shuts. Some really tough periods for them in Feb/March

• Advertisement

By explaining how? Mars Bar has a point.

United are a wonderful club. The best of the best as far as I'm concerned. But let's call a spade a spade. I was being facetious with my Rooney comment. Of course it's good business to hold onto a player of his quality. But that's just it. It's good business. Rooney has grown too big for his boots and 10 years ago he'd have been out the door. Rooney's transfer request was a bigger insult to the team, and a sharper criticism of Ferguson's authority, than anything Keane done (if we follow Ferguson's version of events). Yet Keane got the road and Rooney got an even more inflated contract than the one he was already on. And last summer he was at it again. The 'footballing spirit' of the club (and manager) that I grew up supporting would have shoved him out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Who posts a .jpg instead of a reaction gif anyway, what is this 2003?

Some peoples haves the sloooow internetz!

I think United will be in the top 4 by mid March..Everton will fall away over the next few weeks, Spurs will be up there but will drop points and Liverpool are the biggest threat but i can see them slipping up too

The team i can see really falling away is Arsenal.. I believe they will be fighting for 4th come May unless they bring in a top striker before the window shuts. Some really tough periods for them in Feb/March
    The thing with Liverpool is that they are playing well and as a team couple that with some handy referee decisions of late and the fact that they are playing all the big teams (except United) at home means without us getting our act together rather fast they might just pip us to the post for 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm more worried about United then any Liverpool Spurs or Everton.

Just concentrate and get as many points as we can and see where that takes us.

I'm more worried about United then any Liverpool Spurs or Everton.

Just concentrate and get as many points as we can and see where that takes us.
    Ultimately your right Kew, if we get our own house in order then the 6 point gap is very manageable - the problem is we still not playing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Surely to god, Liverpool have to start playing badly at some stage..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

We can get top 4. If Moyes brings in a midfielder before Friday our chances of that are greatly increased.

bullvine wrote: »
    Their tails are up and seem to be getting the rub of the green (last night Everton's make shift defence) ... we cannot let the gap go beyond 6 points that's for sure.

bullvine wrote: »

I wasn't expecting it from them this season. I don't think anyone was. It's hard to stomach. Fair play to the feckers all the same. They're playing some great stuff at times.

United need to loan / sell a load of players to teams outside the current top 6. Those secret agents always seem to pull through. :pac:

I wasn't expecting it from them this season. I don't think anyone was. It's hard to stomach. Fair play to the feckers all the same. They're playing some great stuff at times.
    It is hard to stomach but as you say fair play to them, if they finish above us in the league then they will deserve it - the final Premier League table rarely lies.... But as Kew said, if we worry about ourselves then we have more then enough to move into CL places .... and btw I wouldn't rule Arsenal out for having a major dip either with their midfield injuries - its all to play for!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

On Nani. Had lots of injuries. Needs to play, what if Moyes is looking to loan him so he gets games, would suit Nani for the world cup, suits United as he gets a chance to play and get over his injuries and can come back in good shape next season. Anderson loan is with a view to a sale, Nani may not be.
    Annoyed with the Fabio situation/sale.

There are very likely reasons from the training ground, but from the outside I just can't see how he is not a significantly better backup at both full back positions than the backups we have at the club.

Any chance he wanted a move at this stage of his career and said so from start of season. Could have played a part in Moyes not using him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

United are a wonderful club. The best of the best as far as I'm concerned. But let's call a spade a spade. I was being facetious with my Rooney comment. Of course it's good business to hold onto a player of his quality. But that's just it. It's good business. Rooney has grown too big for his boots and 10 years ago he'd have been out the door. Rooney's transfer request was a bigger insult to the team, and a sharper criticism of Ferguson's authority, than anything Keane done (if we follow Ferguson's version of events). Yet Keane got the road and Rooney got an even more inflated contract than the one he was already on. And last summer he was at it again. The 'footballing spirit' of the club (and manager) that I grew up supporting would have shoved him out the door.

I've read through this post 3 times and I'm still none the wiser as to why it got a yellow card :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I've read through this post 3 times and I'm still none the wiser as to why it got a yellow card :confused:

He called Rooney an ugly prick before he edited it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Bad part was edited out, click on the yellow card

It's been edited. My guess is it previously contained a personal insult to Rooney.

Ah right. On the phone, didn't see it was edited :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DM-ICE wrote: »
    On Nani. Had lots of injuries. Needs to play, what if Moyes is looking to loan him so he gets games, would suit Nani for the world cup, suits United as he gets a chance to play and get over his injuries and can come back in good shape next season. Anderson loan is with a view to a sale, Nani may not be.

If he needs to play then just play him, its not like the guy currently on the right wing is worth a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Haven't heard much regarding marek hamsik , is he still one of those players we should be targeting or not good enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Haven't heard much regarding marek hamsik , is he still one of those players we should be targeting or not good enough?

Class player, but another in the Januzaj, Kagawa and Mata mould

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

worth a follow.
    Cheap Januzaj ‏@cheapjanuzaj
    Adnan Januzaj re uses Fergies discarded chewing gum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He's very much an attacking midfielder. Not needed.

SlickRic wrote: »
    worth a follow.
    Not really. They're terrible efforts IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Not really. They're terrible efforts IMO.

Agreed, hes probably 12.

Article on ESPN saying that United hope to sign Fernando (from Porto) before the dead line.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1697091/man-united-more-likely-sign-porto-fernando-juventus-arturo-vidal?cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Manchester United are still aiming to sign a midfielder before Friday’s transfer deadline -- but are virtually resigned to leaving their main targets until the summer.

United hope to bring in Fernando from FC Porto, but that represents something of a stop-gap after initially planning on a move for one of Arturo Vidal, Ilkay Gundogan, Toni Kroos and Patrick Herrmann -- as well as a left-back.

As recently as Monday morning, United sources maintained there was a surprisingly strong chance of bringing in Vidal from Juventus in this window. While the deal is understood to not yet be 100 percent dead, the Chilean midfielder himself stated on Monday he will “stay in Turin” and his signing is now seen as highly unlikely for January.

United had been prepared for such an eventuality with all of their primary targets, and the realistic plan was always that the majority of business would be done at the end of the season.

Although they were still trying to force an opportunity of signing someone like Vidal now if possible, Yohan Cabaye was viewed as a viable short-term option to solve a midfield area that badly needs work. Paris Saint-Germain’s purchase of the French playmaker from Newcastle United, however, has seen David Moyes turn his attention back to Fernando of FC Porto.

While the Portuguese club are understood to have initially given United a flat “no” when first inquiries for the 26-year-old were made, United feel they can leverage the situation due to Fernando’s contract expiring next summer.

There have been no developments in United’s interest in Luke Shaw of Southampton.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1697091/man-united-more-likely-sign-porto-fernando-juventus-arturo-vidal?cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

There was something in the air that night, the stars were bright, Fernando

Anyone know much about Fernando?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Headshot wrote: »

Only seen clips of him on Youtube,he looks an all action CM that likes to get stuck in.

A report I read on him called him "a classy CM battler"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Headshot wrote: »

From what I've seen, which is not a lot:
    He's got good close control and passing, is strong and a good tackler. A good all-round type of central midfielder. But he seems to be a bit lazy sometimes when defending. Even though he's obviously very comfortable defending, I've seen him cruising sometimes when he should be running back.

Edit: The "classy CM battler" description above is appropriate for what I've seen.

Haven't seen him myself but I've watched Matuidi and I'd quite prefer him, same contract situation too and with Cabaye gone to PSG, he's almost certain to leave you'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Fernando's contract is up in the summer and Porto like money

Make it happen, a stop gap until the summer

I still expect something to happen before deadline.

I did think we would hear of few rumbles today, but no cigar.

Apparently Kroos just got subbed and looked less than impressed. Threw his gloves at the bench and didn't acknowledge the coaches..

Didn't a certain Juan Mata come off very unhappy a few weeks ago?

Get it done Woody!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

This Kroos stuff is nothing more than a contract stand-off.

Red Crow wrote: »
    It'll be Marchisio in the Summer

Sorry for some reason missed this earlier.

Pity Homer aint about, but Mitch or somebody else might know bit more.

Not news on this window, but apparently few players already lined up for Summer. I dont know who. You may be right on this. Be nice signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

J. Marston wrote: »
    This Kroos stuff is nothing more than a contract stand-off.

Yap as iv said earlier, Kroos is just using utd to get a bumper new deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Haven't seen him myself but I've watched Matuidi and I'd quite prefer him, same contract situation too and with Cabaye gone to PSG, he's almost certain to leave you'd imagine

Matuidi is versatile and hard working, but his close control isn't very reliable. Even though he might be cheap, he's not good enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

irishfeen wrote: »
    Their tails are up and seem to be getting the rub of the green (last night Everton's make shift defence) ... we cannot let the gap go beyond 6 points that's for sure.

Apart from Skrytel maybe, Liverpool were missing more of their 1st team back line than Everton, who had baines and jagielka starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Apparently Kroos just got subbed and looked less than impressed. Threw his gloves at the bench and didn't acknowledge the coaches..

Didn't a certain Juan Mata come off very unhappy a few weeks ago?

Get it done Woody!!
    He wasn't impressed coming off and threw his gloves down on the ground/at the bench and seemed to be walking off to the tunnel .Someone on the bench offered kroos their hand but he didn't shake it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Strike while the iron is hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What's up with Morrison at West Ham? I'd even throw him in for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement