Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

b757 wrote: »
    Apparently we will sign Kroos! Fee is agrred and will join on deadline day. via Twitter :)

SeemsLegit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

brinty wrote: »
    Apparently our noisy neighbours spend 639k per day on wages or 233M per year...
    Christ they are fcuk'd if FFP is brought into being

Source : http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/gossip/

There are ways around it, as long as they make as much as they spend, they are complying with regulations. The owners can just set up another big sponsorship deal. Can't see UEFA banning a club unless it was a pretty serious case anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

b757 wrote: »
    Apparently we will sign Kroos! Fee is agrred and will join on deadline day. via Twitter :)

When did twitter become the David Craig of this world...unless it's on the back of the star I'm not believing anthing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote: »
    Probably Super official inflatable agent with a world exclusive again :D

Christ lads if that's all it takes we'll start a rumour on Twitter and see if we can get it trending.....

I'm not affiliated to any club but Toni Kroos,Paul Pogba&Arturo Vidal will all sign for @MUFC before the#transferwindowshuts#Moyes#Woodward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Lol.. I rarely use twitter and wouldn't even regard it as a valuable source of information. Just posting what is being said by one or two members who I think may know their stuff.. :)

Probably all bulls*** but hopefully something comes from it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Christ lads if that's all it takes we'll start a rumour on Twitter and see if we can get it trending.....

I'm not affiliated to any club but Toni Kroos,Paul Pogba&Arturo Vidal will all sign for @MUFC before the#transferwindowshuts#Moyes#Woodward

Pfft. If you're starting a rumour, you've got to go absurd. Try "#WorldExclusive #MUFC offer 70m for @LuisSuarez. Liverpool accept #MassiveSigning #Nottrue #Moyes"

There is ways around it, as long as they make as much as they spend, they are complying with regulations. The owners can just set up another big sponsorship deal. Can't see UEFA banning a club unless it was a pretty serious case anyway.

Yep know what your saying there Burt..at the rate they are going they'll be posting 100m losses soon enough

Sure isn't FFP dead in the water cos Platini's kid is with PSG now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I know it's hardly gospel but this is a rumours thread on top of a team talk one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Get giggs to sign a contract extension for another 3 years...

• Advertisement

Pfft. If you're starting a rumour, you've got to go absurd. Try "#WorldExclusive #MUFC offer 70m for @LuisSuarez. Liverpool accept #MassiveSigning #Nottrue #Moyes"

hahaha true Shadow
    [EMAIL="#breakingnews@mufc"]#breakingnews@mufc[/EMAIL] resign @cronaldo7 for [EMAIL="£60m&@andow88#nevergoingtohappen#ucrazyfool"]£60m&@andow88#nevergoingtohappen#ucrazyfool[/EMAIL]

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Yep know what your saying there Burt..at the rate they are going they'll be posting 100m losses soon enough

Sure isn't FFP dead in the water cos Platini's kid is with PSG now...

Their figures are better than last season and have lowered their debt for the last 2 if not 3 seasons. Wages also don't really come into FFP directly either.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Their figures are better than last season and have lowered their debt for the last 2 if not 3 seasons. Wages also don't really come into FFP directly either.

Ok...does it really matter if they spend x amount? Really?.....this is a man united thread why are u talking about city....who cares about city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Isnt it pathetic to think keane could prob do a job in midfield for us considering the midfield we currently have lol

I'm injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

keano2012 wrote: »
    Ok...does it really matter if they spend x amount? Really?.....this is a man united thread why are u talking about city....who cares about city

Dublin city?

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm injured.

And I'm retired sorry

• Advertisement

Having Keano2012 and Keane2097 on this thread is getting confusing.

Dublin city?

No cities full stop!! No exceptions not even for the dubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Heaving Keano2012 and Keane2097 on this thread is getting confusing.
    Someone has to go. I vote for a fight to the death...cage match.
    Well that or eeny meeny.

Well that or eeny meeny.

Pistols at dawn I say, one of the mods can be the referee

Another option for them

pun_battle.jpg

• Advertisement

Well that or eeny meeny.

Agreed...this thread isn't big enough for the two of us...get out #2097

Well that or eeny meeny.

two men enter
    one man leaves......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Seniority rules, first in, last out!

Another option for them

pun_battle.jpg

Or a dance off?? But I'd be a bit worried there would be murder on zidanes floor with the 2 keanes involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Well that or eeny meeny.

Foxy Boxing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Looking at utds fixtures we have to only play 4 teams ahead of us at the minute. City and Everton away and Liverpool and arsenal at home..if we got 5-7 points in these 4 games and say 25 points from out last 11 games that would leave us on 70-72 points.. Arsenal finished 4th last year on 73....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

rightyabe wrote: »
    Looking at utds fixtures we have to only play 4 teams ahead of us at the minute. City and Everton away and Liverpool and arsenal at home..if we got 5-7 points in these 4 games and say 25 points from out last 11 games that would leave us on 70-72 points.. Arsenal finished 4th last year on 73....
    City and Liverpool at home. Arsenal and Everton away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

A touch of topic but quite interesting nonetheless:

BfLaaNlCUAA8fY2.png

From https://twitter.com/JamesWGrayson - he's excellent and well worth a follow.

*goes looking for DecTech*

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Toni Kroos earns €4 million a year, Schweinsteiger and Lahm €8 million and Ribery a lot more than that, Robben and others on higher wages than Kroos.

Kroos wants his wages at least doubled, and according to Raphael Honigstein, what Bayern Munich have done could backfire on Bayern - going public and trying to make Kroos look greedy.
    A lot of United players earn more than Kroos does and not as good as he is.

Odds on Kroos joining United have been slashed to odds on 4/9.

I will be amazed if Kroos is a United player when we go into February.

You can imagine Moyes talking to Kroos' agent the other day 'look at the midfield I will put out against Cardiff - one will be a 40 year old winger and the other a central defender. Kroos would be king and rule the midfield at United and be a legend and we can give him and yourself a lot of money if he moves, so lets make a deal and let us all be winners'.

Pep seems very confrontational at Bayern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Pro. F wrote: »
    *goes looking for DecTech*

quite like how both Statiticians and Experts were written in inverted commas.

Mainly because most pundits/experts are on telly for entertainment and to wind people up watching them and stats are crude and somewhat pointless. 39 shots to chelsea tonight is a WOW stat but in truth keeper hadn't all that much to do. Couple of good saves tops.

Speaking of stats, i'm sure i'm one of the 87.4% of people losing the will to live on this earth. BBC main news headline right now:

"Justin Bieber Surrender".

In my day surrender meant not getting your head chopped off in Mortal Kombat. Or, i dunno, actual armies in war who had enough of people dying.

• Advertisement

quite like how both Statiticians and Experts were written in inverted commas.

Mainly because most pundits/experts are on telly for entertainment and to wind people up watching them and stats are crude and somewhat pointless. 39 shots to chelsea tonight is a WOW stat but in truth keeper hadn't all that much to do. Couple of good saves tops.

I'm not that pushed about statistical analysis in football, both because statistics are boring and because I've yet to see any genuinely accurate statistical models for the game, but your criticism is not even slightly related to the type of analysis those guys do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm not that pushed about statistical analysis in football, both because statistics are boring and because I've yet to see any genuinely accurate statistical models for the game, but your criticism is not even slightly related to the type of analysis those guys do.

You won't see one without paying six figures for it. Some of the lads mentioned are on twitter and will happily talk to you though.

You won't see one without paying six figures for it. Some of the lads mentioned are on twitter and will happily talk to you though.

Yeah I've followed some of your links in the past and noticed how the lads keep a lot of it close to the chest. Which is understandable.

Just had a look at DecTech's football predictor site there and I was surprised at how they give their result predictions away for free. Should that type of thing not to be trusted as their best effort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Next 2 weeks we have to make up some ground for the 4th place.

Next week we play Stoke away, Liverpool will play WBA away, Spurs will play Hull away. Everton should win their home against Villa but other 3 teams have tricky fixtures.

After that Spurs Vs Everton and Liverpool vs Arsenal while we play Fulham at home.

Sacramento wrote: »
    Jaysus lads we need to take a step back! A deal for Mata to join us in January is highly unlikely!

Shut up ya dope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What are the odds on Kronos staying at bayern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Sacramento wrote: »
    Shut up ya dope.

Don't suppose you fancy saying "we won't get Kroos"?

Don't suppose you fancy saying "we won't get Kroos"?

Not a f*cking hope in hell we'll get Kroos.

Nope.

Not going to happen.

We need to take a HUGE MASSIVE GIGANTIC step back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

we could sign messi, iniesta, kroos and schweinsteiger and moyes would still have the side play horrific football.

the manager needs to go first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Leftist wrote: »
    we could sign messi, iniesta, kroos and schweinsteiger and moyes would still have the side play horrific football.

And what then? Begin our new life of hiring Mercenary Managers every year or two? IMO Moyes deserves two years - then we can judge him for what he's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Leftist wrote: »

He's only getting into the role. He's highlighted issues in the squad, and brought in a high profile attacking midfielder to help. If he was to bring in another player like Kroos, he'd have addressed an issue that SAF left alone for years.

I think this season has more or less been written off long ago, but right now is the most optimistic I've been about Moyes as United boss since he started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Having Keano2012 and Keane2097 on this thread is getting confusing.

Its really not. Polar opposites in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

With rumours abounding that Fernando is to choose City over United and Filipe Luis taken off injured last night i wonder does that put an end to our transfer business this window....

And what then? Begin our new life of hiring Mercenary Managers every year or two? IMO Moyes deserves two years - then we can judge him for what he's done.

No manager "deserves" 2 years in a role.

That's one of the most ridiculous things i've read on here.

Football management is a results based industry. Get results = get plenty of time.

There are gaping exceptions to that rule such as Dario Gradi and Arsene Wenger both of whom did enough to earn their time.

In an ideal world, every manager would be given 2 or 3 years to bring in players and implement his philosophy.

Back in the real world, you need to get results or you're out of work.

The Cardiff win shouldn't fool anyone. Getting RVP, Mata and Rooney fit and on the field is tremendous. Seeing Young and Valencia put in so much effort already showing the Mata signing has given the players a buzz. But with or without Mata, with or without RVP/Rooney, beating Cardiff at home was a formality.

I still believe if it was any other manager, there would be monumental pressure on this month. If February is a good month, then Moyes kicks on (and maybe never looks back). If it's bad and the gulf widens to the top 5 or 6, the feel-good factor from Mata will be well and truly replaced by calls for his head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Harsh

You're bickering over my choice of words. In line with his current performance, and more particular recent developments on the squad, a two year stint remains on track in my mind?

Better?

Incidentally, most non-Arsenal fans have taken great pleasure in knocking Wengers "achievement" of getting Arsenal into the Champions League every year.

"Yeah, great, but what have you won recently lol".

That may start to look foolish at the end of the season if United finish it trophyless and out of the CL.

As of right now, that's the more likely scenario for United under Moyes.

Unless someone wants to smash Suarez and Sturridge over the head i can't see Liverpool collapsing and 6 points is a valuable cushion when you consider they have 18 goals in hand on goal difference too.

Harsh

You're bickering over my choice of words. In line with his current performance, and more particular recent developments on the squad, a two year stint remains on track in my mind?

Better?

slightly!

I hear what you are saying, i do, and i agree in theory! Managers should be given time. But it's not the way of the world.

To my mind, taking the Champions and turning them into 7th is poor. Even allowing for transition. But Moyes has 3 key players back now so lets see what he's got in the locker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Incidentally, most non-Arsenal fans have taken great pleasure in knocking Wengers "achievement" of getting Arsenal into the Champions League every year.

"Yeah, great, but what have you won recently lol".

That may start to look foolish at the end of the season if United finish it trophyless and out of the CL.

Well no - the fun has been at that being the only 'achievement' for each of the previous 8 years.

It will look foolish if we are championing it in 4 years time as some great achievement but being happy with simply making the CL this season is not foolish, and offers no hypocrisy to that laughs had at Arsenal's expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Football management is a results based industry. Get results = get plenty of time.

There are gaping exceptions to that rule such as Dario Gradi and Arsene Wenger both of whom did enough to earn their time.

In an ideal world, every manager would be given 2 or 3 years to bring in players and implement his philosophy.

Back in the real world, you need to get results or you're out of work.

The Cardiff win shouldn't fool anyone. Getting RVP, Mata and Rooney fit and on the field is tremendous. Seeing Young and Valencia put in so much effort already showing the Mata signing has given the players a buzz. But with or without Mata, with or without RVP/Rooney, beating Cardiff at home was a formality.

I still believe if it was any other manager, there would be monumental pressure on this month. If February is a good month, then Moyes kicks on (and maybe never looks back). If it's bad and the gulf widens to the top 5 or 6, the feel-good factor from Mata will be well and truly replaced by calls for his head.

You picked on the guys choice of words here which was a bit ott, you knew what he meant.

What you say is true in relation to modern day soccer where it's all about apeasing spoilt fans and egomaniac billionaire owners looking for instant gratification of a Saturday afternoon.
    What United are looking at is not going down that road, remaining true to the values of the club doing the right and proper thing.
    The board have confidence that they have picked the right man even if plenty down the pub don't so they are giving and will give the manager a proper chance in the confidence that he will prosper in the medium-long term.

Short term pain for long term gain.

I, for one, will be delighted if United continue to buck the disgusting trend of the way modern day clubs are run.
    I can deal with a season or two of relative mediocrity.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement