Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Use the top page numbers rather than the bottom ones to navigate on a mobile device

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Entire site has been fine for me. Not on mobile site though, on laptop using old skin, none of these fancy new ones.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

If I was a betting man I would out a few quid in Quarin joining Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Zouma gone to Chelsea jesus that was bit out the blue :pac:

Anyway if he turns out to be half as good as he does in fifa they have them selfs a seriously good cb there for a long time hes only 19.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Tunnicliffe and Cole to Fulham on permanent moves. Interesting to see how cole does. Great on the ball. Bit small though. Good player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I be blamed for 9/11 next.

I shot JR too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I be blamed for 9/11 next.

I shot JR too I suppose.

While your there what did you do with Shergar? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Zouma is going to be the best defender in the world some day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

While your there what did you do with Shergar? :D

I took him on a boat to France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I took him on a boat to France.

Sure they love a bit of horsemeat in France
    And did ye meet Lord Lucan :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

For 19 the guy is a beast he makes Lukaku look like a smurf!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I've only seen him play once and he got send off for one of the worst challenges I've ever seen. Broke the chaps leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Duncan Castles of the Sunday Times and Goal.com reporting that we're in for Otamendi from Porto.
    Manchester United have lodged a £12.3 million bid for Porto’s central defender Nicolas Otamendi.

While the Portuguese club consider the Argentina international as more expendable asset than his defensive partner Eliquiam Mangala, they have yet to take a decision on whether to sell.

An aggressive though not especially quick defender, Otamendi has been at Porto since 2010, playing a part in Andre Villas-Boas' famous treble-winning team in his first season at the club.

The 25-year-old has made 16 full international appearances for his country, but has fallen out of favour since Alejandro Sabella's arrival as Argentina coach.

Otamendi's potential recruitment forms part of David Moyes' plan to add five individuals at their peak of their playing careers to the club-record capture of Juan Mata.

United's new manager has sought to attribute blame for the club's debilitating season to the Premier League winning squad he inherited from Sir Alex Ferguson, and has been granted unprecedented financial backing to overhaul it.

United's bid for Otamendi has been complicated by Manchester City's attempt to recruit Mangala.

Convinced they can achieve the full €50m [£41m] buyout in the France international's contract, Porto have so far refused to negotiate a fee for Mangala, who they intend to retain for the season.

If City were to trigger that release clause, however, his sale would seriously damage Paulo Fonseca's attempt to retain the Portuguese title.

Unfortunately, if you believe that Portugese journo from last night Mangala and Fernando are going to City so they're unlikely to sell another defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Says in that article otamendi's not overly quick, which got me thinking when was the last time utd had a pacy centre back? Coz Evans,jones,smalling, Vidic,Ferdinand definately aren't and even in their prime the latter two weren't the fastest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Says in that article otamendi's not overly quick, which got me thinking when was the last time utd had a pacy centre back? Coz Evans,jones,smalling, Vidic,Ferdinand definately aren't and even in their prime the latter two weren't the fastest

Rio was always very very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I would say Smalling is pretty quick, and Jones and Evans aren't slow or immobile. Ferdinand was fast when he was younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I've only seen him play once and he got send off for one of the worst challenges I've ever seen. Broke the chaps leg.

when was this? i signed him in FM and h got sent off 3 times in 1 season

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Smalling and Jones both have a lot of pace. Rio was very fast in his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Smalling is quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Nearly wet myself when I seen anderson being asked if he was gay at a press conference today. His reaction was priceless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There aren't many CBs you'd say pace is a major attribute in their game, most really quick players are shunted out on the wing when they're younger.

Can't think of many in the PL, Koscielny strikes me as one with a good bit of pace for some reason, it could be just that his positioning is good and makes him look a lot quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Not a huge fan of Otamendi from what I've seen of him, which is admittedly only a few games for Argetina. He was a surprise inclusion at the 2010 World Cup and was one of El Diego's pets.

I'd be steering clear of Portugal tbh. They know how to charge and the quality can be lacking. I blame Mendes.

With the signings Chelsea have made over the past couple of years when Mourinho was/is in charge I'm fairly sure his secret is the game Football Manager.

Lads is anderson coming back now that they gave his shirt away!? Nothing been mentioned about a permanent deal but all parties acting as if it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Devil08 wrote: »
    Nearly wet myself when I seen anderson being asked if he was gay at a press conference today. His reaction was priceless

What kind of idiot was asking him that?

What kind of idiot was asking him that?

Some italian journo. Rumours going around Italy that he was gay. Anderson just laughed and said he likes women and has 4 kids but that he respects homosexuals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I guess it's funny in a way, but Italian people love living up to their worst stereotypes. Vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Come off it Ferdinand was lightning quick his positioning was so good he didn't need to do much running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

There aren't many CBs you'd say pace is a major attribute in their game, most really quick players are shunted out on the wing when they're younger.

Can't think of many in the PL, Koscielny strikes me as one with a good bit of pace for some reason, it could be just that his positioning is good and makes him look a lot quicker

Kompany is pretty quick as well, Kolo Toure was very fast in his prime, he was never really beaten for pace in his early 20's.

Best CB partnership I can remember for pace and power was Ferdinand and Campbell in 2002 at the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Trilla wrote: »
    when was this? i signed him in FM and h got sent off 3 times in 1 season

Earlier this season. Got a 10 game ban for it.

http://www.thescore.ie/kurt-zouma-tackle-10-game-ban-france-1166345-Nov2013/

Maybe don't watch the video if you're squeamish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Kompany is pretty quick as well, Kolo Toure was very fast in his prime, he was never really beaten for pace in his early 20's.

Best CB partnership I can remember for pace and power was Ferdinand and Campbell in 2002 at the world cup.

at 35, Distan for Everton is reported to be amongst the quickest CB's in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

BfQ0mWxCUAABIdn.jpg

Story is obviously bull. I'm just posting it for the hilarious photoshop.

at 35, Distan for Everton is reported to be amongst the quickest CB's in the league.

Great athlete, doesn't look 35.Weird the way he never went to champions league club, he has been a great defender for years.

Yobo was an animal for them as well.

J. Marston wrote: »
    BfQ0mWxCUAABIdn.jpg

Moyes after Townsend?

I would hope so:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

J. Marston wrote: »
    BfQ0mWxCUAABIdn.jpg

Be more worried about the Townsend story :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Lads is anderson coming back now that they gave his shirt away!? Nothing been mentioned about a permanent deal but all parties acting as if it is?

Deal was done with option to buy. Anderson seems to think its fairly permanent with his comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Duncan Castles of the Sunday Times and Goal.com reporting that we're in for Otamendi from Porto.
    United's new manager has sought to attribute blame for the club's debilitating season to the Premier League winning squad he inherited from Sir Alex Ferguson

:rolleyes: Yeah cause last year's squad was perfect, they haven't aged, and other teams haven't signed anyone at all. Idiot journo.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well the basic point is correct so how idiotic is the journalist really? The headline might be hyperbolic but that's the name of the game. Ferguson did let the quality of the squad decay. That was his error, nobody else's. The forward line was left in good shape but the midfield and defence leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Any links to this ?

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Earlier this season. Got a 10 game ban for it.

http://www.thescore.ie/kurt-zouma-tackle-10-game-ban-france-1166345-Nov2013/

Maybe don't watch the video if you're squeamish.

That actually wasn't that bad a tackle. Seems unfortunate for the guy on the receiving end how they got caught up but it genuinely wasn't that bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ZZZZZ kroos will be signed by 5 oclock.... ZZZZZ

YAWNS* OH MORNING ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Right, as it stands, we have signed Mata and nobody else.
    Would people on here be happy if that remained the case? I dont think i would be - I was hoping we'd add a central midfielder with a bit of pedigree and possibly a full back to cover for Evra. Dont get me wrong, we have signed a great player but NOTHING thus far has been done to address the real problem area in the middle of the field. Are we going to have a centre half and a 40 year old man in there again tomorrow at the Britannia? Not saying if we did sign someone that they'd be thrown into it, but at least we'd know wee were heading in the right direction.
    I suppose we have to wait until the end of the day but I'm not hopeful right now.
    This may well end up costing us 4th place - and if it does, we can forget about any marquee signings in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

as delighted as I am with the Mata signing, and it has given me hope - I find it perplexing that we couldn't find a single available midfielder that would have given us the boost our team actually needs. Mata won't help us defensively, Mata won't stop us from being outpassed at home to Cardiff City.

I really do find it incredible that Moyes and Woodward have failed to sign a central midfielder.

I had been confident at the start of the week something would get done, but appears we have not done enough, again.

Our small chance at 4th becomes no chance without a proper CM signing, and whatever chance we had of getting Gundogan or Vidal in the summer goes with it. They aren't coming to a (at best) Europa League United playing crap football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Is Moyes possibly falling back on the fact that he HAS signed a CM in Fellaini (£27m) and has faith that he'll turn into an influential player at the club? The LB situation perplexes me most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

as delighted as I am with the Mata signing, and it has given me hope - I find it perplexing that we couldn't find a single available midfielder that would have given us the boost our team actually needs.

Really? Maybe the type of player who would "give the team a boost" wasn't available.

Cabaye? Decent, but not WC, and is somewhere in the same bracket as what's there already, so no point in spending $$ on a player like that, plus what would be high wages, on a player who'd be a squad player in six months.

The midfielders you crave will become available in the summer.

Your doom and gloom scenarios are becoming tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really? Maybe the type of player who would "give the team a boost" wasn't available.

Cabaye? Decent, but not WC, and is somewhere in the same bracket as what's there already, so no point in spending $$ on a player like that, plus what would be high wages, on a player who'd be a squad player in six months.

The midfielders you crave will become available in the summer.

Your doom and gloom scenarios are becoming tiresome.

Cabaye would have been a massive upgrade at CM over Cleverley, Giggs, Anderson and Jones.

He would have been a great signing for the next few months, and would have been a fantastic rotation option for next season as there is no reason we couldn't have got him AND then gone for a player like Vidal in the summer. It isn't just ONE central midfielder that we need.

My doom and gloom scenarios? Do you really think it is LIKELY that with the midfield United possess we are going to win 7 points more than Liverpool (at least) out of 45 available? If we don't do that, we don't get 4th place - and signing a top CM player in the summer becomes possibly impossible.

We were champions last summer and couldn't do the business we wanted - a very good chance we won't even be in the CL next season, what makes you think United will be more capable then? You think the top sides (offering money AND CL football) won't be in for the world class midfielders everyone seems to assume we will be able to just snap up in the summer?

The level of delusion amongst some fans, and the club, is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Lads at least wait till Moyes press conference later where he rules out any further transfers before getting annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Cabaye would have been a massive upgrade at CM over Cleverley, Giggs, Anderson and Jones.

He would have been a great signing for the next few months, and would have been a fantastic rotation option for next season as there is no reason we couldn't have got him AND then gone for a player like Vidal in the summer. It isn't just ONE central midfielder that we need.

My doom and gloom scenarios? Do you really think it is LIKELY that with the midfield United possess we are going to win 7 points more than Liverpool (at least) out of 45 available? If we don't do that, we don't get 4th place - and signing a top CM player in the summer becomes possibly impossible.

We were champions last summer and couldn't do the business we wanted - a very good chance we won't even be in the CL next season, what makes you think United will be more capable then? You think the top sides (offering money AND CL football) won't be in for the world class midfielders everyone seems to assume we will be able to just snap up in the summer?

The level of delusion amongst some fans, and the club, is shocking.

Newcastle would never have sold cabaye to a rival, cabaye obviously wanted to go to PSG, it's clearly obvious the club tried to bring Ina world class midfielder in this window and so far it hasn't materialised, with Mata signing and Rooney hopefully extending his contract that will be enough to lift the players into getting 4th spot. That and carrick and carrick and fellaini coming back from injury, then we'll have a full squad to select from no there can't be any excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Good way to sell the move to a player like Cabaye alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Is Moyes possibly falling back on the fact that he HAS signed a CM in Fellaini (£27m) and has faith that he'll turn into an influential player at the club? The LB situation perplexes me most.
    i doubt it. i get the feeling he has a certain standard of player in mind and wont settle for anything else and maybe thinks the clubs he wants to buy from may be more willing to sell in the summer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement