Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

Newcastle would never have sold cabaye to a rival, cabaye obviously wanted to go to PSG, it's clearly obvious the club tried to bring Ina world class midfielder in this window and so far it hasn't materialised, with Mata signing and Rooney hopefully extending his contract that will be enough to lift the players into getting 4th spot. That and carrick and carrick and fellaini coming back from injury, then we'll have a full squad to select from no there can't be any excuses.

andy cole??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

David Moyes press conference has been pushed forward by 2 hours today to 12:30, hmmmmmmmmmm

keano2012 wrote: »
    andy cole??
    17 years ago plus ole was running down his contract at Newcastle so it was like the van Persie deal, they had no choice but to cash in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Really? Maybe the type of player who would "give the team a boost" wasn't available.

Myabe you didn't notice, but our midfield the other night was Ryan Giggs and Phil Jones. Tom Cleverley was our option from the bench. Just think about that for a minute.

If there wasn't one single midfielder better than Ryan Giggs or Phil Jones available anywhere in the world then I despair for the future of the game, I really do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Cabaye would have been a massive upgrade at CM over Cleverley, Giggs, Anderson and Jones.

He would have been a great signing for the next few months, and would have been a fantastic rotation option for next season as there is no reason we couldn't have got him AND then gone for a player like Vidal in the summer. It isn't just ONE central midfielder that we need.

My doom and gloom scenarios? Do you really think it is LIKELY that with the midfield United possess we are going to win 7 points more than Liverpool (at least) out of 45 available? If we don't do that, we don't get 4th place - and signing a top CM player in the summer becomes possibly impossible.

We were champions last summer and couldn't do the business we wanted - a very good chance we won't even be in the CL next season, what makes you think United will be more capable then? You think the top sides (offering money AND CL football) won't be in for the world class midfielders everyone seems to assume we will be able to just snap up in the summer?

The level of delusion amongst some fans, and the club, is shocking.

How is it delusional to think that some players might want to join the most recognised name in world football for something other than a single year in the CL? The players who joined City were high quality before they made CL, Juve got great quality during their rebuilding, Bayern making that step up again when they were in danger of fading a couple of years back among many other examples. A 22-25 year old is potentially going to have 5 or 6 seasons plusat the club, one seasom where they aren't in the CL but will still have a great chance of winning the league and other silverware probably isn't the deterrent that you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Newcastle would never have sold cabaye to a rival,

What tosh, if the price was right then Newcastle would have had no problem selling to United. The only reason we haven't bought anybody from them in a decade is because they never had anybody we wanted, not because of some rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Good way to sell the move to a player like Cabaye alright.

What do you think he is going to end up being at PSG?

Silva and Ibrahimovic have already told the owner they don't think he is good enough.

What tosh, if the price was right then Newcastle would have had no problem selling to United. The only reason we haven't bought anybody from them in a decade is because they never had anybody we wanted, not because of some rivalry.

Were rivals this season with only 3 points between us, of course money talks but it would have taken a bid well above the supposed £20 million that PSG paid for him and he wouldn't have been worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

17 years ago

Easy with that chat!

• Advertisement

17 years ago plus ole was running down his contract at Newcastle so it was like the van Persie deal, they had no choice but to cash in

Andy Carroll? James Milner, Seb Bassong, Demba Ba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It would be a bit of a stretch to describe United and Newcastle as 'rivals'.

Andy Carroll? James Milner, Seb Bassong, Demba Ba?

Haha, you can't use Andy Carroll as a reason, we all know Liverpool overpaid by about £34 million

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

their only 3 points behind us :p

magnumbud wrote: »
    their only 3 points behind us :p

Ah yeah, sure many a great rivalry has formed over the battle for the coveted 7th place.

Currently we are though, were in 7th and 8th respectively with only 3 points separating us, obviously long term were not but for the moment we are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

Newcastle would never have sold cabaye to a rival, cabaye obviously wanted to go to PSG, it's clearly obvious the club tried to bring Ina world class midfielder in this window and so far it hasn't materialised, with Mata signing and Rooney hopefully extending his contract that will be enough to lift the players into getting 4th spot. That and carrick and carrick and fellaini coming back from injury, then we'll have a full squad to select from no there can't be any excuses.

newcastle are not our rivals. yes 3 points seperate us but they are not our rivals. right price for sure they would have sold.

Liam O wrote: »
    How is it delusional to think that some players might want to join the most recognised name in world football for something other than a single year in the CL? The players who joined City were high quality before they made CL, Juve got great quality during their rebuilding, Bayern making that step up again when they were in danger of fading a couple of years back among many other examples. A 22-25 year old is potentially going to have 5 or 6 seasons plusat the club, one seasom where they aren't in the CL but will still have a great chance of winning the league and other silverware probably isn't the deterrent that you think.

Juve bought players before they became world class, or had been discarded. Vidal was a snip from bayer. Pirlo was a free agent.

You think if Juve were trying to sign Vidal as he is now, they'd still have got him - or would Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, City, Chelsea, Monaco out muscled them?

I'm arguing United could, and should, have bought smartly in this window, done its best to make up the ground for 4th place and then going for the world class players in the summer would be more doable.

It isn't utterly impossible that we could sign a player like Vidal in the summer while offering either no european football or the europa league (much of a muchness) but surely you would have to admit that without CL football it becomes a harder sell to the truly world class players - which it seems is the only bracket United will consider

keano2012 wrote: »
    newcastle are not our rivals. yes 3 points seperate us but they are not our rivals. right price for sure they would have sold.

Yeah would would have looked for over £25 million I'd say and he's not worth it

Haha, you can't use Andy Carroll as a reason, we all know Liverpool overpaid by about £34 million

So, they will sell to a 'rival' for the right price.

So, they would sell to a 'rival'.

Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Newcastle ARE NOT our rivals.....

Move on.........:)

• Advertisement

So, they will sell to a 'rival' for the right price.

So, they would sell to a 'rival'.

Next.

Yea I agreed that we would have to overpay for him, we're not that desperate though and we certainly don't need another attacking midfielder so I don't know why people are suggesting that he's the answer to our midfield problems.
    Cabaye isn't world class, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

It was 19 years ago, and it was about 3 years before Bosman kicked in, so his contract wasn't worth anything to him.

Currently we are though, were in 7th and 8th respectively with only 3 points separating us, obviously long term were not but for the moment we are.

Rivals in the battle for 7th, is it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

bullvine wrote: »
    It was 19 years ago, and it was about 3 years before Bosman kicked in, so his contract wasn't worth anything to him.

Not only that it had the massive bonus of taking a direct title challengers striker from them. Genius move from united. I wish we had maintained the bullying like Bayern/Real do.

bullvine wrote: »

Oh dear, I apologise for being a couple of years off

Rivals in the battle for 7th, is it?

That's what the table says

That's what the table says

:rolleyes:

Yea I agreed that we would have to overpay for him, we're not that desperate though and we certainly don't need another attacking midfielder so I don't know why people are suggesting that he's the answer to our midfield problems.
    Cabaye isn't world class, that is all.

Our midfield on Tuesday was a centre back and a 40 year old. Cleverley was the backup, and Carrick is out for a month. How the fook are we not desperate for a quality midfielder?

Cabaye isn't the answer to all our problems.
    Neither is Mata.
    Neither is Vidal.
    Neither is Gundogan.

We need more than one central midfielder.

There simply isn't one single player that would fix United so arguing against signing a player because he isn't 'the answer' is just stupid.

Cabaye isn't world class, but he is very, very good and several levels above Giggs, Cleverley and Fellaini in terms of a creative central midfielder. If United aren't lying about funds available, then there is no reason we couldn't have signed him and still gone for a player like Vidal in the summer - sufficiently different players that Cabaye wouldn't have blocked Vidal in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I hope we don't sign Townsend. Another overrated spurs player

Red Crow wrote: »
    I hope we don't sign Townsend. Another overrated spurs player

Same here.

One dimensional flavour of the month imo.

Signing him would go against what I hoped the Mata signing indicated (change of style).

Would just be another direct winger to play crosses in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I cant believe i am still reading posts from Utd fans who say we can do without a midfielder. Have u watched any of the games this year?

Our midfield on Tuesday was a centre back and a 40 year old. Cleverley was the backup, and Carrick is out for a month. How the fook are we not desperate for a quality midfielder?

Cabaye isn't the answer to all our problems.
    Neither is Mata.
    Neither is Vidal.
    Neither is Gundogan.

We need more than one central midfielder.

There simply isn't one single player that would fix United so arguing against signing a player because he isn't 'the answer' is just stupid.

Cabaye isn't world class, but he is very, very good and several levels above Giggs, Cleverley and Fellaini in terms of a creative central midfielder. If United aren't lying about funds available, then there is no reason we couldn't have signed him and still gone for a player like Vidal in the summer - sufficiently different players that Cabaye wouldn't have blocked Vidal in any way.

I agree will your saying and this is exactly why I'm happy we didn't sign cabaye, I think we need 2 cm's that are significantly better than our own lot and cabaye, I don't rate cabaye and I'd prefer us to go for Vidal or Kroos or both in the summer than have signed cabaye in this window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is Townsend a thing?

another mediocre nominally wide player.

Fook off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I agree will your saying and this is exactly why I'm happy we didn't sign cabaye, I think we need 2 cm's that are significantly better than our own lot and cabaye, I don't rate cabaye and I'd prefer us to go for Vidal or Kroos or both in the summer than have signed cabaye in this window

By waiting till the summer, it's likely we've mucked ourselves over in terms of getting CL football. Cabaye would have let us challange for a position that makes us attractive for the likes of Kroos or Vidal in the summer. By signging no one now, we've made it far, far harder to get a top, top player in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

I cant believe i am still reading posts from Utd fans who say we can do without a midfielder. Have u watched any of the games this year?

Fellaini when fully fit will do the job with Carrick until the summer when Moyes gets the player he wants rather than just buying a midfielder for the sake of it so yes we can do without

I don't hold out hope for signing a player like Kroos or Vidal in the summer if we don't make the CL. It is unlikely now, and no chance without signing a midfielder in this window.

Fellaini when fully fit will do the job with Carrick until the summer when Moyes gets the player he wants rather than just buying a midfielder for the sake of it so yes we can do without

So you are pinning our CL qualification on a player that has underperformed in the limited amount of games we have seen him, and a guy who possibly won't play again til March and is historically slow at getting up to game pace.

Yeah, that seems like the smart approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Its last summer that is still haunting Utd.

A monumental **** up by Utd, and the effects are still being felt today.

The size of that **** up really cant be overstated.

I don't hold out hope for signing a player like Kroos or Vidal in the summer if we don't make the CL. It is unlikely now, and no chance without signing a midfielder in this window.

That depends on the potential signings position at his current club (mata), Kroos is not enjoying life at Bayern at the moment, juve are looking at nani so a swap deal might be involved for one of there players plus I reckon we'll throw more money at players than usual.
    For the moment we need fellaini back fit and in the form of his life, I for one remain positive that we'll nick 4th

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Its last summer that is still haunting Utd.

A monumental **** up by Utd, and the effects are still being felt today.

The size of that **** up really cant be overstated.

Moyes' mid january euopean tour would also indicate United had no plans and no ideas for the January window, which makes it a bigger feck up, imo, as it really isn't excusable. We should have been moving towards January signings on September 1st.

How the feck do we bid for De Rossi, Kheidra, Modric, Coentrao in the last couple of days of the summer window, and still end up doing nothing about CM and LB in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

How anybody could say Cabaye is not good enough is mind boggling. He scores, creates and passes the ball forward something none of our midfielders can do. We need to get players like Cabaye in to move Cleverley, Jones and Giggs away from playing cm. We all want a Vidal signing but we need more than him. Fernando or Cabaye now with Vidal in the summer would have been ideal. I think we need at least two cm signings hopefully Vidal and two very good midfielders also.

Something like Fernando, Vidal, Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverley and Fletcher would be alright.

Moyes' mid january euopean tour would also indicate United had no plans and no ideas for the January window, which makes it a bigger feck up, imo, as it really isn't excusable. We should have been moving towards January signings on September 1st.

How the feck do we bid for De Rossi, Kheidra, Modric, Coentrao in the last couple of days of the summer window, and still end up doing nothing about CM and LB in January.

I actually feel we already have one or two players all but signed for the summer. It seems Moyes wants world class players and very few can be got in January. But he has shot himself in the foot with not signing a cm this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

If they thought that getting rid of Anderson and not bring ing in a quality CM player to replace him was good business, then their P45s should be prepared.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I actually feel we already have one or two players all but signed for the summer. It seems Moyes wants world class players and very few can be got in January. But he has shot himself in the foot with not signing a cm this month.

Only if we get 4th spot. And to do that we will have to beat Liverpool at home and try and get a point off city. With that crap midfield we have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Actually, as frustrating as Anderson was, he was an option. It's scary to think that we actually weakened our midfield options in this window...

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »

If that is the case, then fine. If United are absolutely 100% certain that Vidal and Kroos (for example) are done and dusted for the summer, then fine - it doesn't matter what happens over the second half of the season really.

However, I would highly doubt United are at that stage.

We may be confident we could do the deals in the summer, but I put little store in United's confidence. We need top players to actually sign.

Actually, as frustrating as Anderson was, he was an option. It's scary to think that we actually weakened our midfield options in this window...

And sold a left back.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

So you are pinning our CL qualification on a player that has underperformed in the limited amount of games we have seen him, and a guy who possibly won't play again til March and is historically slow at getting up to game pace.

Yeah, that seems like the smart approach.

Fellaini could be back this weekend,he resumed training during the week..no idea where you have got March from?? We all know we need a world class midfielder if we want to be challenging league titles & european cups again but not to finish in the top 4. To say all our chances of CL qualification hinge on signing a midfield player is a crazy statement to make. The squad has more than enough to compete with Spurs,Everton & Liverpool for that. So no im not pinning our hopes on Fellaini, im pinning our hopes on a squad of some really good players

---Carrick Fellaini---

---Mata
    Rooney----

Van Persie

Kagawa, Januzaj, Young, Nani, Valencia, Hernandez & Welbeck too. If a team with those attacking options cannot finish top 4 then heads need to roll

And sold a left back.

As much as i will praise Moyes for the Mata signing. We have lost two full backs, a cm and a winger. All positions we are short of numbers. It was these moves that had me sure their was signings imminent this window. It really will be bizzare if nobody else comes in.

Regarding Townsend and whatever bid is supposed to have been mooted - surely he'd be a much better option than Valencia who has been poor all season? Not syure how much of a United player Townsend is but he is quick and very direct - not a bad player.
    The problem is though the problem sector of the pitch has not alone been ignored - but actually weakened.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement