Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Fellaini could be back this weekend,he resumed training during the week..no idea where you have got March from?? We all know we need a world class midfielder if we want to be challenging league titles & european cups again but not to finish in the top 4. To say all our chances of CL qualification hinge on signing a midfield player is a crazy statement to make. The squad has more than enough to compete with Spurs,Everton & Liverpool for that. So no im not pinning our hopes on Fellaini, im pinning our hopes on a squad of some really good players

---Carrick Fellaini---

---Mata
    Rooney----

Van Persie

Kagawa, Januzaj, Young, Nani, Valencia, Hernandez & Welbeck too. If a team with those attacking options cannot finish top 4 then heads need to roll

Carrick is out for a few weeks and Fellaini will be a few games off fitness. Those next few games are essential and our midfield options look like Jones, Giggs, Cleverley and Fletcher. Which let's be honest means we won't be playing Champions League football next season.

kstand wrote: »
    Regarding Townsend and whatever bid is supposed to have been mooted - surely he'd be a much better option than Valencia who has been poor all season? Not syure how much of a United player Townsend is but he is quick and very direct - not a bad player.
    The problem is though the problem sector of the pitch has not alone been ignored - but actually weakened.

Friends with two big Spurs fans who can't stand him. Say he is massively overrated he just puts his head down runs and shoots from outside the box too often instead of looking up and picking a pass. Spurs won't sell cheap he would not be worth it. If we are signing a squad type player winger from the Premiership Lallana would be a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fellaini could be back this weekend,he resumed training during the week..no idea where you have got March from?? We all know we need a world class midfielder if we want to be challenging league titles & european cups again but not to finish in the top 4. To say all our chances of CL qualification hinge on signing a midfield player is a crazy statement to make. The squad has more than enough to compete with Spurs,Everton & Liverpool for that. So no im not pinning our hopes on Fellaini, im pinning our hopes on a squad of some really good players

---Carrick Fellaini---

---Mata
    Rooney----

Van Persie

Kagawa, Januzaj, Young, Nani, Valencia, Hernandez & Welbeck too. If a team with those attacking options cannot finish top 4 then heads need to roll

Talk is Carrick is out for a month following injury vs Sunderland - so it could be march before we could play Fellaini and Carrick together - with Carrick being an historically slow starter and Fellaini have an awful lot to prove he can be relied on in any way, and not just another United midfielder the opposition can easily bypass and not worry about when they are in possession either.

The actual attacking options are great, imo, but the midfield to support them simply isn't fit for purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

what time is the press conference today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Carrick is out for a few weeks and Fellaini will be a few games off fitness. Those next few games are essential and our midfield options look like Jones, Giggs, Cleverley and Fletcher. Which let's be honest means we won't be playing Champions League football next season.

We'll finish top 4. Midfield is a huge problem and having Carrick out injured is a big loss. I still maintain that our attacking threat will get the job done. Having Rooney, Mata & Rooney on the pitch will give everyone a confidence boost & make the opposition fear us again

Everyone saying why didnt we move for Cabaye..maybe we enquired and the lad just wanted to go home to France. Id rather wait until the summer & move for Kroos & Vidal then get Cabaye who is good not world class like the kind of players are looking to bring in now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

---Carrick Fellaini---

---Mata
    Rooney----

Van Persie

your argument is faulty. We have had all those players up until now bar Mata and Rvp. Fellani was poor since starting so no addition there. U hsave to get rvp the ball first and rooney has filled that void so to welbeck ... Posession has been horrendous this year. Mata will help creativity but there are still gaping holes in midfield which moyes has not addressed since coming on board. We are 7 pts off liverpool who are playing good football and beating teams convincingly. . Seriously have some coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I don't hold out hope for signing a player like Kroos or Vidal in the summer if we don't make the CL. It is unlikely now, and no chance without signing a midfielder in this window.

We just signed Mata for a record fee while languishing in 7th.

For whoever we go for the summer, the possibility of one season out of the CL will not make a major difference given the sheckles we are throwing about the place.

On the CM thing...we are stocked in numbers but not quality, if he can't get in the required quality I say let it off till the summer. I'm talking proper quality...people have distorted views of players because for the most part we watch our own players every week and see every bad pass whereas we see the highlight reels for the likes of Cabaye. He was never going to come to us over going back to France and PSG anyway.

I said it before here but 2 out of Carrick, Fletcher and Fellaini with back ups in Cleverley, Giggs and Jones should be enough to provide enough supply to our returning and newly arrived front players to see us climb the table. I've no doubt about that.

*I would love a proper midfield maestro today though...you never know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

your argument is faulty. We have had all those players up until now bar Mata and Rvp. Fellani was poor since starting so no addition there. U hsave to get rvp the ball first and rooney has filled that void so to welbeck ... Posession has been horrendous this year. Mata will help creativity but there are still gaping holes in midfield which moyes has not addressed since coming on board. We are 7 pts off liverpool who are playing good football and beating teams convincingly. . Seriously have some coffee.

As irritated as I am by the midfield situation, you can't say "same team bar Mata and RVP" as if those two players are inconsequential. They're two of the three best players at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

NeVeR wrote: »

12:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well from reading today's posts it looks like I shall be staying out of here, unless we sign someone.

Have fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

RasTa wrote: »
    Well from reading today's posts it looks like I shall be staying out of here, unless we sign someone.

Have fun

Yep we are back to talking about Moyes and Woodward f#cking up transfer windows and apparently not having a clue despite just having signed one of the best players in the league and smashing our transfer record.

Were 6 points of Liverpool, a team we play at Old Trafford next month, A team who still has Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal & Spurs to play. We have not lost a match this season when Rooney & Van Persie have played together which has been very rare. Mata is massive signing, he will unlock defences & play balls through for Van Persie. Our central midfield is bad but there is enough there to do what we need to do which is finish top 4. Im stunned at all the negativity from fans, yes its been a bad season, something that United fans of this generation are not used to & dont know how to react to it. Relax and have faith in your team rather than slag off players and write a squad off that has proved critics wrong over and over

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

We'll finish top 4. Midfield is a huge problem and having Carrick out injured is a big loss. I still maintain that our attacking threat will get the job done. Having Rooney, Mata & Rooney on the pitch will give everyone a confidence boost & make the opposition fear us again

Everyone saying why didnt we move for Cabaye..maybe we enquired and the lad just wanted to go home to France. Id rather wait until the summer & move for Kroos & Vidal then get Cabaye who is good not world class like the kind of players are looking to bring in now

Well if we had 2 Rooneys i'd be as confident as you maybe.

Have fun

So long "you weird fuc.ker" as Dr. Gonzo would say.

What good is it having those attacking players if the midfielders cant get them the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Have fun

I think I'll do the same.

I'll just leave this here first, for the day that's in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

can't wait to watch transfer deadline day tonight..... not because of the transfers.

But because of

4f9a6cbfe17937f3f14fe97d8e96f9b8.jpeg

Last one, then I'm gone for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ericzeking wrote: »
    Yep we are back to talking about Moyes and Woodward f#cking up transfer windows and apparently not having a clue despite just having signed one of the best players in the league and smashing our transfer record.

Yep, everything is just peachy at the club, all of our players are great and Mata is going to magically make Cleverley a world class player! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

talk of will keane being off on loan to QPR. if true hopefully he gets plenty of game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

can't wait to watch transfer deadline day tonight..... not because of the transfers.

But because of

Did you watch soccer am last Saturday?

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/tv-shows/soccer-am/9132681/away-days-scunthorpe

Last 15 seconds should be right up your alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

If City sign Mangala and Fernando it will be a right kick in the teeth - two players we were strongly linked with and 2 players we need more than City do.

Not Manchester United specific, but have you seen how Andy Gray and Richard Keys are getting exposed yet again?

I figured BT Sports were testing the waters with Gray as commentator last week, it's almost as if someone has been waiting to release this footage!

it's almost as if someone has been waiting to release this footage!

Yep, seems that way, doesn't it.

Yep, seems that way, doesn't it.

I'm delighted, they were awful to listen to. I find the commentators I like best these days are speaking Russian/Romanian.

Just say the players names. That's all I want.

12.30,its earlier cos Moyesy has to meet someone of a flight from Germany in the afty! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

zorro2566 wrote: »
    12.30,its earlier cos Moyesy has to meet someone of a flight from Germany in the afty! :D

Or else he has to pack Nani's bags and has to drop him to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

where are our 3 spanish lawyers at?

Could be worse..Arsenal signing Kim Kallstrom on loan from CSKA Moscow! The answer to their midfield injury problems :p

Not Manchester United specific, but have you seen how Andy Gray and Richard Keys are getting exposed yet again?

I figured BT Sports were testing the waters with Gray as commentator last week, it's almost as if someone has been waiting to release this footage!

They're having a joke with a female reporter who is laughing along with them, what's the big deal?

Could be worse..Arsenal signing Kim Kallstrom on loan from CSKA Moscow! The answer to their midfield injury problems :p

He was fantastic in Championship Manager many moons ago!

• Advertisement

They're having a joke with a female reporter who is laughing along with them, what's the big deal?

That's a fair point, every workplace has a bit of craic and banter, but in the context of their dismissal and Gray's recent attempt to get back on the telly - it's oh so bad/funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

We will sign no one and there will be a silent clock to mark the death of our season 24 style

Was sacked for much less originally..only back 1 week commentating with BT Sports & he might get the sack again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Do you actually know any women that enjoy "banter" like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ashley Young has got his speed fine cut

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25980881?

Guess he was struggling to pay the 3k :)

Did you watch soccer am last Saturday?

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/tv-shows/soccer-am/9132681/away-days-scunthorpe

Last 15 seconds should be right up your alley.

Oh ,what a woman,proper girlfriend material she is!

Yep - the two women I have breakfast in the morning with join in with it everyone morning. Slagging themselves, each other and the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Yes.

Was sacked for much less originally..only back 1 week commentating with BT Sports & he might get the sack again

For something he did prior to getting sacked in the first place?

Would seem harsh to punish twice over the same basic issue, from a while back, for a different employer.

Yep - the two women I have breakfast in the morning with join in with it everyone morning. Slagging themselves, each other and the rest of us.

Harmless banter...until someone files a complaint. The world has gone to PC & ethical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

They join in with lads singing get your tits out while they're working?

For something he did prior to getting sacked in the first place?

Would seem harsh to punish twice over the same basic issue, from a while back, for a different employer.

I agree but someone has leaked this on purpose, maybe an ex disgruntled work mate. How many more do they have? BT might not want baggage & bad publicity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

christ I hate the word "banter"

Pity if he gets the sack again, love to hear him commentating, banter is banter, some women don't mind it, some women are feminists.

That's a fair point, every workplace has a bit of craic and banter, but in the context of their dismissal and Gray's recent attempt to get back on the telly - it's oh so bad/funny.

Ya she really looks like she is having a right old jolly time there.

That was sarcasm from Mitch i'd hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I slag plenty of my female friends with way worse stuff than that and they give as good as they get. Jesus can people not have a laugh anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

In a work place you can not make sexual references or offensive references to any co-worker. If you do and that co-worker deems it funny it is still wrong.

You have to put yourself in her shoes and what she might be thinking. "Thats not funny but I have to laugh cause If I don't it might get worse."

It's wrong in every workplace in the civilised world. If Andy Gray wants to do it down the pub, then so be it, but he cannot do it in the workplace.

Can't stand him anyway.

Pity if he gets the sack again, love to hear him commentating, banter is banter, some women don't mind it, some women are feminists.

Wow.

So anyone insulted by that type of banter is a feminist?

I'm sorry I brought it up now, I feel like banning myself.

Erm....There's no way we're signing Kroos?

• Advertisement

Sorry, we don't specifically sing 'get your tits out', but there are plenty of comments about blow jobs, infertility, small penises, nationality - none of it in anyway PC, and joined in by ALL.

One of them gave out to me once for NOT taking an opportunity to stare at her boobs.

Also, it isn't the same with all women we work with - just these two who are friends, who we go drinking with and have parties with. For more normal work colleagues, wouldn't dream of that type of conversation.

Would be the same with female friends outside of work - some you can have fun with beyond normal social conventions, some you would be far more cautious around.

While their behavouir is easily argued as sexist, I would also say that saying no woman could enjoy or engage in such banter is in itself sexist - treating all women the same, to some social standard you have decided on.

Maybe CT was deeply uncomfortable with the situation, maybe she was not. The point is, you don't know either way - and it is wrong for you to cast your own judgements upon it and decide its fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement