Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

Let's not fool ourselves, this is just as disappointing as the summer. We have now bought two players where it was impossible to mess the deals up in 2 windows and overpayed for both. Well done ed woodward!! In terms of numbers, we've let ando, zaha and fabio go. So we have let an attacking midfielder go and replaced him tenfold with mata but let go 2 players in areas where we were already weak in and replaced them with no one. Congratratulations, I am sick of hearing people say what did we expect but u know what - we r in a **** situation. Show that man utd don't worry about value or cup tied players but get what they want when they want but fans r too stupid to know that they are getting hoodwinked with a plaster trying to cover an amputation.

We all know what we needed goin in, moyes even said so and yet we have to finish the season without the two players we are in desperate need of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

rightyabe wrote: »
    Wild lot of panicked people round ere.

Utds squad is good enough to secure a top 4 spot.

Why but a LB when we have Evra and Buttner?

Why buy a CM when we have Carrick,fellani and fletcher?

Why panic at all? Soooo many people on here who think we are sh1t and think we should spend millions on Cabaye who at most is a good-average player at a under average team..

Carrick injured, Fellaini just back from injury and has been very average, Fletcher is only back from a chronic illness and no gaurantee he will last the season. Jones, Giggs and Cleverley are not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

When im playing football manager on deadline day i always tell the media i have no plans to sign anyone and then bring in 3 or 4 players...Moyes playing the media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wild lot of panicked people round ere.

Utds squad is good enough to secure a top 4 spot.

Why buy a CM when we have Carrick,fellani and fletcher?

Why panic at all? Soooo many people on here who think we are sh1t and think we should spend millions on Cabaye who at most is a good-average player at a under average team..

we are 7 points off 4th, with 15 games left.

Evr has been poor defensively, Buttner is nowhere near good enough, no even close.

Injured, not done anything, fitness for a run of games questionable. The backups to them are Cleverley (done nothing of note), Giggs (40 and outrun/passed by Cardiff) and Jones (a centre back - good runner, but not good enough technique).

United are painfully short of quality in midfield and not doing anything this window (and not enough last window) means there is now, imo, no chance we make 4 spot. If we finish outside the top four I don't see us getting a world class player in the summer - so next season will likely be no better than this one.

United's performance in the last two windows hasn't been good enough, not by a long shot, and we are going to suffer because of it.

Even if things go as well as you could hope in the summer, we will have to bed in, probably, the following:

2 left backs, a centre back, two central midfielders and maybe a right back, a winger and a striker.

So next season, at best, will be another transitional season, with inconsistent performances and results. Wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Moyes on deadline day: "You can stand down your TV cameras at the gates. I don't think they'll be required. We've done our business."

https://twitter.com/ManUtd

Well that's it then.

Over to you Fellaini,Cleverley,Fletcher,Carrick,Jones and Giggs to keep that CM afloat until the summer.
    I don't believe him.

Let's not fool ourselves, this is just as disappointing as the summer. We have now bought two players where it was impossible to mess the deals up in 2 windows and overpayed for both. Well done ed woodward!! In terms of numbers, we've let ando, zaha and fabio go. So we have let an attacking midfielder go and replaced him tenfold with mata but let go 2 players in areas where we were already weak in and replaced them with no one. Congratratulations, I am sick of hearing people say what did we expect but u know what - we r in a **** situation. Show that man utd don't worry about value or cup tied players but get what they want when they want but fans r too stupid to know that they are getting hoodwinked with a plaster trying to cover an amputation.

We all know what we needed goin in, moyes even said so and yet we have to finish the season without the two players we are in desperate need of
    Whatever about the fellaini deal - I don't see how he can be criticised for the Chelsea deal. That we were able to do it all is amazing imo - don't see how you can possibly say it was impossible to mess it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I also really dont understand the Zaha situation he should of been given a proper chance.

Moyes said he would play him if he could thats bull. Valencia has been is usual dirt self all season why not play Zaha instead ? He would offer alot more he actually looked very lively and up for it pre season that should of been taken advantage of.

Nani well everyone elses guess is as good as mine. He either comes back gets a run of games and gets flying again does what we all know hes well able to do. Or he continues his latest trend and just falls in and out of the team getting the odd goal or assist now and again which is lets face it pointless to us.

We have settled and made the most of bit part players the last few years. A few individual players of a much better standard have won us most of what we have the last few years.

In reality alot of our squad is not good enough to play at the very top level and we should except that stop trying to put a fans biased edge to it.

I hope Moyes builds the team he wants and brings in some players wordy of playing for Manchester United and we become a true force again.

Teams need to fear us again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

duffman13 wrote: »
    Carrick injured, Fellaini just back from injury and has been very average, Fletcher is only back from a chronic illness and no gaurantee he will last the season. Jones, Giggs and Cleverley are not good enough

Disregard giggs he's only in the squad to help moyes get a feel for moral etc..

Ask yourself this would jones and cleverly get a game at Liverpool,Everton,spurs? I believe they would. Would they get a place/seat on city's,Chelsea,arsenals bench? I believe they would!

Do these 2 have the quality to lead mufc to glory..I don't believe so but surrounded with quality attack minded players they can and a usefulness that maybe lacking within the squad and within many squads in the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I can't believe people are defending Gray and Keys in that video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Buttner, at this moment in time, is not good enough for United and has done nothing to suggest he will be in the future.

Do you think Evra is a good defender?

We got a player who wanted to come to us, a club who wanted to sell to us at a premium price and didn't talk to them cuz we were scared they would ask about Rooney. Ed Woodward, coupled with the summer fiasco sounds more and more like jack from jack in the beanstalk. Better not talk to Chelsea directly in case they sold him some magic beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I also really dont understand the Zaha situation he should of been given a proper chance.

Moyes said he would play him if he could thats bull. Valencia has been is usual dirt self all season why not play Zaha instead ? He would offer alot more he actually looked very lively and up for it pre season that should of been taken advantage of.

How many of his u21's games did you watch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

We got a player who wanted to come to us, a club who wanted to sell to us at a premium price and didn't talk to them cuz we were scared they would ask about Rooney. Ed Woodward, coupled with the summer fiasco sounds more and more like jack from jack in the beanstalk. Better not talk to Chelsea directly in case they sold him some magic beans.

The mind boggles.

None i dont watch them.

The point im making is he is a young up and coming talent on a major high coming into a big club he wanted to impress he got a pre season then was dumped. You would understand if there was a player performing keeping him out of the squad but ffs look who we have in those positions.

Giving him a run in the team would of done no harm at all more then likely would of only done good.

Zaha was good in a lot of his appearances for them - was only really his last appearance you could really ciriticise imo.

Also, Pogba was as poor for the reserves as Zaha was that night - would you like Pogba back at United?

• Advertisement

we are 7 points off 4th, with 15 games left.

Evr has been poor defensively, Buttner is nowhere near good enough, no even close.

Injured, not done anything, fitness for a run of games questionable. The backups to them are Cleverley (done nothing of note), Giggs (40 and outrun/passed by Cardiff) and Jones (a centre back - good runner, but not good enough technique).

United are painfully short of quality in midfield and not doing anything this window (and not enough last window) means there is now, imo, no chance we make 4 spot. If we finish outside the top four I don't see us getting a world class player in the summer - so next season will likely be no better than this one.

United's performance in the last two windows hasn't been good enough, not by a long shot, and we are going to suffer because of it.

Even if things go as well as you could hope in the summer, we will have to bed in, probably, the following:

2 left backs, a centre back, two central midfielders and maybe a right back, a winger and a striker.

So next season, at best, will be another transitional season, with inconsistent performances and results. Wonderful.

I'll admit if we don't make 4th spot I'll be a almost Leeds utdesque failure which could lead to a big downhill slump.

But put yourself in moyes shoes..would you not trust sir Alex that having jones, smelling, cleverley,welbeck and degea wasn't the class of 92 replayed in a certain sense..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

None i dont watch them.

The point im making is he is a young up and coming talent on a major high coming into a big club he wanted to impress he got a pre season then was dumped. You would understand if there was a player performing keeping him out of the squad but ffs look who we have in those positions.

Giving him a run in the team would of done no harm at all more then likely would of only done good.

If you'd seen him struggle in the reserves you might have a reason why he didn't get a run in the first team.

Zaha was good in a lot of his appearances for them - was only really his last appearance you could really ciriticise imo.

Also, Pogba was as poor for the reserves as Zaha was that night - would you like Pogba back at United?

No way Mitch. Zaha had one good game for the u-21's and was underwhelming in most of the others. Nowhere near consistent enough.

lordgoat wrote: »
    If you'd seen him struggle in the reserves you might have a reason why he didn't get a run in the first team.

Do u not think maybe a run in the first team would of been what he needed confidence wise ? Do u honestly think he could of been any worse then Valancia or Young have been at times this season??

Where not talking about replacing top class wingers here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

no i would not..dirty mercenary!!

now where the fooook is toni kroos....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

None i dont watch them.

Perhaps you should watch him play first before making claims about whether he deserves to start or not then.

I honestly haven't had a chance to watch much of the u21s this season but virtually every person I know that has watched regularly has said that he isn't ready. Selecting someone who isn't ready on the basis that he simply isn't Antonio Valencia is more than just a bit silly.

Do u not think maybe a run in the first team would of been what he needed confidence wise ? Do u honestly think he could of been any worse then Valancia or Young have been at times this season??

Nope I don't. IMO he hasn't showed the right attitude for the reserves. So why would you trust him in more important matches?

You're talking about replacing a proven EPL winger with an unproven youth player, for me it's a no brainer. Valencia might not win you many games these days but Zaha could lose you one. At the moment we can't afford that.

I'll admit if we don't make 4th spot I'll be a almost Leeds utdesque failure which could lead to a big downhill slump.

But put yourself in moyes shoes..would you not trust sir Alex that having jones, smelling, cleverley,welbeck and degea wasn't the class of 92 replayed in a certain sense..

No, I fuking wouldn't. and I don't see why Moyes would either.

1. Fergie told him to keep the backroom staff in tact - Moyes chose not to.
    2. Fergie wanted rid of Rooney - Moyes has kept him and looks like keeping him long term, and has selected him as captain.
    3. Moyes said himself in SEPTEMBER that the squad wasn't good enough and needed 4 or 5 top players - so why the feck did we only bring in one - and not at CM or LB.
    4. In the last days of the january window we went for Modric, Kheidra, De Rossi, Herrera, Baines and Coentrao. Yet in January we still don't have the plans in place to execute the signing of a central midfielder or a left back.

It is fuking head wrecking from United. another incompetent window.

Delighted we signed Mata, but the fact we don't have a left back or central midfield to support him (Moyes tried to replace them all in August) means we aren't going to get the best out of him, Rooney or RVP - and we will continue to get overrun in midfield and look highly vulnerable any time the opposition run it is.

Criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

BfT7jUqIYAAs4H7.jpg

Zaha looks like Welbeck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My minimum hopes going into this transfer window was.
    Cover for left back.
    CM of even a squad level, who would do us better now and then be a great backup to a bigger star in the summer.

What we got was
    Another attacking midfielder (granted, one I adore and love, but still someone in a position we are well stocked in).
    We loaned out a central midfielder.
    We sold a left back.

So while our attacking options got a nice boost, we actually weakened our options in the two positions we desperately needed to strengthen. That boggles my mind. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Zaha looks like Welbeck.

I hear you're a racist now father.

Nope I don't. IMO he hasn't showed the right attitude for the reserves. So why would you trust him in more important matches?

You're talking about replacing a proven EPL winger with an unproven youth player, for me it's a no brainer. Valencia might not win you many games these days but Zaha could lose you one. At the moment we can't afford that.

Im not saying throw him in against Chelsea or City there are plenty of games he could of at least had some time in. I can see him doing well at Cardiff because he will hopefully get plenty of game time and experience at this level he wont get that in the reserves.

Im not saying throw him in against Chelsea or City there are plenty of games he could of at least had some time in. I can see him doing well at Cardiff because he will hopefully get plenty of game time and experience at this level he wont get that in the reserves.

I can't think of many games where we were comfortable in ,that we could have brought him on in.

Cardiff will be interesting, Noone and i think Daehli will provide good competition for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

The squad needs players of course, its long discussed but I'm more worried by the distinct lack of ability of the management team to get the best out of a squad of players that hasn't finished outside the top 2 in 8 years.

That's exactly the problem, bloody wingers but as Gary Neville said - that's the utd way. Although the best team in Europe did play with wingers last yr - there moving away from that , they are an outdated commodity and by their very nature - they are inconsistent because they get the ball a limited amount of the time.

And when their only trick is to get to the byline or youngs, turn onto their other foot - they are easy to defend against. We need to move into a 4-2-3-1 and tell Rooney for 300,000 that he plays in goal if needs be - mata at number 10 - van p at 9 with Rooney and Adnan either side.

The width comes from our full backs, we needed a box to box midfielder and hope that we could create an actual defensive midfielder from the rubbishwe have - carrick, cleverly, fletcher or fellani.

• Advertisement

I can't think of many games where we were comfortable in ,that we could have brought him on in.

Cardiff will be interesting, Noone and i think Daehli will provide good competition for him.

He needs first team game time he will get it at Cardiff and if he fails then theres no excuses. I still honestly think he couldnt of been much worse then what we had this season at least he would of tried to take on teams but we will see how he fares when he gets his chance now.

No, I fuking wouldn't. and I don't see why Moyes would either.

1. Fergie told him to keep the backroom staff in tact - Moyes chose not to.
    2. Fergie wanted rid of Rooney - Moyes has kept him and looks like keeping him long term, and has selected him as captain.
    3. Moyes said himself in SEPTEMBER that the squad wasn't good enough and needed 4 or 5 top players - so why the feck did we only bring in one - and not at CM or LB.
    4. In the last days of the january window we went for Modric, Kheidra, De Rossi, Herrera, Baines and Coentrao. Yet in January we still don't have the plans in place to execute the signing of a central midfielder or a left back.

It is fuking head wrecking from United. another incompetent window.

Delighted we signed Mata, but the fact we don't have a left back or central midfield to support him (Moyes tried to replace them all in August) means we aren't going to get the best out of him, Rooney or RVP - and we will continue to get overrun in midfield and look highly vulnerable any time the opposition run it is.

Criminal.

Them 4 points are all moyes own fault, he's had to break eggs to make omelettes. Not perfect maybe but in utds bests interests in moyes opinion. Fergie may have been right to move Rooney on..who knows. The backroom staff should of been kept IMO but hey moyes is the boss and trusts his men. Saying he needs 4-5 players could of been a way of telling a stingy board that he's willing to spend if required and will demand respect when looking for a transfer. All the links withs players is hot air with money hungry agents and should not be believed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I thought getting Mata was gateway for at least 1 or 2 new signings.

if we don't get CL football now I want Moyes gone in summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You might be disappointed. I reckon United will finish 5th and Moyes will get another year minimum.

You might be disappointed. I reckon United will finish 5th and Moyes will get another year minimum.

sadly you're right I say.

What bothers the most is that the big clubs around us seem to set targets and nearly always get them. What is stopping a club like Manchester United from doing this?

What bothers the most is that the big clubs around us seem to set targets and nearly always get them. What is stopping a club like Manchester United from doing this?

Moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Moyes on deadline day: "You can stand down your TV cameras at the gates. I don't think they'll be required. We've done our business."

https://twitter.com/ManUtd

Well that's it then.

Over to you Fellaini,Cleverley,Fletcher,Carrick,Jones and Giggs to keep that CM afloat until the summer.
    I don't believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Jesus I would love it if we signed Toni Kroos or Vidal or any of the other marquee names being bandied about...ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

But....can any of the football manager afficienados here direct me to a midfield player who is actually AVAILABLE NOW who is significantly betterthan, Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini, Cleverly, Jones and Giggs.

Bearing in mind that Carrick was close to our best player last season...Fletcher was at one point one of the better all action midfielders in Europe and is just recently making big steps to refinding form and fitness and Fellaini is a proven dominant player in the premier league who will find his feet post injury in the coming weeks.

I would have liked a left back but Evra has improved in recent weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Harsh enough Kew - I'll give him till Christmas, champions league football or not.. without improvement and major signings (basically promised) over the summer I think he could be gone Jan 2015.... I really hope he turns it around, makes signings and pushes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

If Mata in and Anderson, Fabio and Zaha out are the extent of our business deals in this window, will that not go down as failure with the fans?
    We all know Mata is a great player - and a huge statement - but is it more of a statement to appease the fans?
    I think a lot of us felt that it would be followed by a top class central midfielder - but thats now highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Delighted to hear the staff line getting trotted out again.

I don't think anybody ever ended up replying to this post I made:
    Is this stuff about De Gea having a transformation not just a new invention to batter David Moyes about Eric Steele?

If I recall, De Gea was an extremely young goalie in a new team, country and league who had a small bit of trouble adjusting in his first couple of months, and was then foolishly dropped/rotated with a far worse player before gradually settling in and showing how good he has always been.

This is the same Chris Woods who took a goalkeeper United (possibly not Steele, not sure) had made a balls of in Tim Howard, and turned him into a very solid performer.

As for the other two, you couldn't swing a cat in here over the last few years for someone mouthing off - without a shred of evidence mind you, but whatever - about what a **** assistant Mike Phelan was and how he was a yes man.

Meulensteen wasn't happy to have his role somewhat reduced by Moyes wanting to be hands on with players, was asked to stay and showed fairly dubious character getting into bed with the crooks at Anzhi instead.

#MOYESOUT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Its almost as if the board and manager have signed Mata, realised the fans are delighted and said 'that'll appease them for now'.

I agree with you Kew, its **** or bust. Only positive I can take from it is that in 12 months time, if we are still down the league and Moyes gets the bullet that the likes of Mata, Rooney etc will still be excellent players for a good manager to come in and deal with.

We needed a LB and CM this window, regardless of whether they were part of the long term future of the club. Evra is costing us goals every second game by being out of position and our defence is getting overrun by not having any help from the midfield. Look at Cardiffs best chance in the second half the last night - left winger skips past Rafael and there's 2 Cardiff players in the box to United's 1 and Evra just about made it back to clear. No midfielder in sight to help out and that's what was killing us in the Champions League for the last 3-4 season's against lesser sides.

ericzeking wrote: »
    Jesus I would love it if we signed Toni Kroos or Vidal or any of the other marquee names being bandied about...ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

But....can any of the football manager afficienados here direct me to a midfield player who is actually AVAILABLE NOW who is significantly betterthan, Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini, Cleverly, Jones and Giggs.

Bearing in mind that Carrick was close to our best player last season...Fletcher was at one point one of the better all action midfielders in Europe and is just recently making big steps to refinding form and fitness and Fellaini is a proven dominant player in the premier league who will find his feet post injury in the coming weeks.

I would have liked a left back but Evra has improved in recent weeks.
    Matic was.
    Reckon Fernando is (and will pitch up at City with us doing nothing about it).
    Matudi could be, with just 6 months on his contract and PSG just signed Cabaye.
    Cabaye was available and we did nothing there.

Fletcher was, at one point - that point being about 3 years ago and before a chronic ilness that kept him out of football for a year and an illness that does have a great prognosis long term with regards top level fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Moyes comments in the presser was to drive the price of Bangea down was it?:p

• Advertisement

I will support Moyes and team 1000% till the summer.

but he now has left himself in a position where he feels squad is good enough. it is now up to Moyes to get CL football.

it will be a disaster if he fails. A disaster that deserves a P45.

but all I'm worried about now is getting behind team for Stoke game tomorrow. 3 points please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Reckon Fernando is (and will pitch up at City with us doing nothing about it).

Your mate Miguel was talking all week about United trying to sign Fernando, presumably he's either making it up or misinformed since you're in the know that United haven't actually been doing anything to try and sign him?

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1697091/man-united-more-likely-sign-porto-fernando-juventus-arturo-vidal?cc=5739

keane2097 wrote: »
    Delighted to hear the staff line getting trotted out again.

I don't think anybody ever ended up replying to this post I made:

I trotted the staff line out again - as a clear response to why would Moyes not trust Fergie's judgement on the squad.

1. He changed staff, against what Fergie said.
    2. He kept Rooney and looks to be making him captain, despite Fergie wanted him gone.

Why should we think Moyes should trust Fergie's judgement on the squad when he didn't do so with Rooney or the staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

A lot of fans are deluded and think thats its as easy as calling up a club & saying give me this or that player. Do people think the club didnt try sign more players in this window? It just wasnt possible, Mata is the only world class player that has moved in January so far & thats because he wasnt getting game time at Chelsea. Big things will happen this summer!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Your mate Miguel was talking all week about United trying to sign Fernando, presumably he's either making it up or misinformed since you're in the know that United haven't actually been doing anything to try and sign him?

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1697091/man-united-more-likely-sign-porto-fernando-juventus-arturo-vidal?cc=5739

We made a move for him previously, offered a piss poor amount which Porto laughed off, and haven't made a concrete move for him in the last week - simply enquired, as far as I am aware.

United put all their eggs in the Vidal basket, and failed. Just like in the summer with Fabregas.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement